Question about ebike field and 520 plus

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
Have a 2019 Levo and Edge 520 plus. I've installed the ebike field app but cant figure out how to display other than battery %
I have a data screen with 4 fields and to set what gets displayed in each field I choose Connect IQ -> Ebike Field -5/10 but there aren't any choices after that to allow which ebike field. I do this for all 4 fields and I get four fields with battery %. I cant seem to change the 5/10 number at all.
I've been at this for some time and have reached a dead end.
Thanks if you can help.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi, yep this is correct. Due to limitation on Garmin side you can't have more instances of Ebike Field in the activity. That is why, you have several choices which and how to show data by Ebike Field. Check the settings of the app in Garmin Connect Mobile or Garmin Express.

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
Hi, yep this is correct. Due to limitation on Garmin side you can't have more instances of Ebike Field in the activity. That is why, you have several choices which and how to show data by Ebike Field. Check the settings of the app in Garmin Connect Mobile or Garmin Express.

Hi and thanks for the app ! I did figure out how to access the app settings and I'm good now. I'll probably upgrade to the diagnostic app soon.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Good to hear! Don't expect too much from Ebike Diagnostics app with 2019 FSR Levo though. Specialized unfortunately limited info what this new model of Levo provide via ANT+ and as we all know - changing wheel circumference is also limited compared to older models.

But I definitely recommend to upgrade to get Ebike Field funkcionality to render graphs in Garmin Connect! Ebike Field keeps full compatibility with newest Levo.

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
Today I went for a ride and this is what was displayed in my display window that has the first field choose as "ebike field"
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c69.jpg

Also, there is an extra display window that is not in the list of the 520 plus displays, it looks like this:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c68.jpg

Last night I went for a ride and the first field of the first display was correctly populated with what I set in the GC app for the "ebike field" settings.

Any idea where this extra window comes from ? At one point I did have the Specialized ebike data field installed, but I have deleted it.

EDIT: When the first screen ebike field was populated correctly, the second display screen did not appear.

Last edited:

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Never seen datafields on your second picture. It seems like new native support of ebike connectivity by edge bikecomputer.

Are there 3 independent datafields?
The bars shown on bottom field represent current assistance mode?
Did you pair ebike to edge on native sensors&accessory setting?

Ebike Field can't connect to ebike if system use the same connectivity for something else, so this is probably the case here. Ebike Field have implemented independent pairing and connectivity functionality, but if you pair ebike directly to garmin via native settings, Ebike Field can't load data from the bike.

So if I am correct, can you please disconnect ebike from you garmin via native sensors setting and try it again?

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
Never seen datafields on your second picture. It seems like new native support of ebike connectivity by edge bikecomputer.

Ebike Field can't connect to ebike if system use the same connectivity for something else, so this is probably the case here. Ebike Field have implemented independent pairing and connectivity functionality, but if you pair ebike directly to garmin via native settings, Ebike Field can't load data from the bike.

So if I am correct, can you please disconnect ebike from you garmin via native sensors setting and try it again?

Yes, three independent data fields and the bars correspond to the assistance level.

Thank you Jan.
Yes, there are three independent fields and the bars correspond to assistance level.
I removed the ebike from the connected sensors.
The ebike field is now displaying correctly, but the bike doesn't show up anywhere as being a connected sensor.... I take it that this is correct since the assist level+battery are displaying correctly and responding to changes ?
I see now that "ebike field" does the pairing itself and I should not have paired it using the Garmin "add sensor -> ebike" .

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Yes, it is correct if you prefer to use Ebike Field instead of native ebike datafields of you EDGE.

BTW, I would like to know, who did their design as native datafields are quite horrible in my opinion. Battery percentage is super small and there are 7 hardcoded bars for assist mode levels which doesn't adjust according to bike capabilities. :rolleyes: And I bet they didn't put any info to Garmin Connect like Ebike Field is doing.. :unsure:

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
Yes, it is correct if you prefer to use Ebike Field instead of native ebike datafields of you EDGE.

BTW, I would like to know, who did their design as native datafields are quite horrible in my opinion. Battery percentage is super small and there are 7 hardcoded bars for assist mode levels which doesn't adjust according to bike capabilities. :rolleyes: And I bet they didn't put any info to Garmin Connect like Ebike Field is doing.. :unsure:

Yes, I do prefer Ebike Field, since I have the Garmin speed sensor. I don't like that the native info pops up in a separate screen that can not be cutomized.The only field that is decent is speed. I have no idea how to relate the bars to the assist level, I only know that they charge when the assist level changes ?

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Hi, I have a Garmin 530 and I see you say to "disconnect ebike from your garmin via native sensors" but I have no idea how to do this and cannot find anything on the internet except this page. The ebike field is not ticked in the menu in sensors. Can you help, anyone please?

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Ah found it...the field is not in the 'eBike' menu setting, it's in one at the very end called 'Connect IQ -5/10'

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles