Purion replacement

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
I had a bit of a smash about a month ago and basically ground the power button flat:

2020-10-26 16.36.25.jpg

I did pick up a new Purion (£70 at wiggle - bargain) in case I needed to change it but bit of judicious knife use to free the button up got me back riding. No discernible movement in the button but I could at least turn it off and on again.

It's been ok for the last few rides but riding at the weekend (Chicksands, great fun), it's just been a nightmare. Wouldn't turn on, wouldn't turn off, quite a few times when I came to a stop it would whinge about changing the display battery then shut off and other times it would be quite happy sitting around doing nothing.

It's time to change it. Anyone done this before?

I think first step is to drop the battery and see where the cable connects. A bit concerned about getting the connector through the rubber grommet where it enters the down tube but will cross that bridge etc..

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I haven't done it on a Whyte, but think it will be battery out, drop the motor so you can disconnect the old Purion.

I'd then zip tie an old gear cable to the cable, and pull through the frame. Then connect the new Purion cable to the gear cable, and pull it back through. That grommet will have to come out to get a connector through it I'd think.

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
I managed to do it without removing the motor, would have been easier with the motor out but I don't have the chainring removal tool and the chainring blocks one of the t40 (20nm torque according to whyte) at the bottom of the motor. Battery comes out easily enough which is good, don't want to leave the battery in the garage when it gets cold.

The plug, cable in orange, can be finessed up above the motor quite easily to get it out but a bit of a sod to route back down even with a bit of fishing line tied round it, needed to run the fishing line between the cables on the plug then use a bit of tape to wrap it round the plug so I was pulling it (with quite a bit of force) with the plug inline.

2020-10-30 08.14.54_LI.jpg

Grommet came out of the frame fairly easily but had to snip the plug off the old controller to remove it. Didn't want to cut the new cable, managed to force the new plug through the grommet eventually.

I ordered a Purion with a 1300mm cable and this was about 10cm longer than the cable originally fitted but had no issues with this extra length.

I've bought a rubber case for the controller now, might help next time I over do it on a jump ?

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Good one. I really wish Bosch would release a no-screen solution. Have a widget that does ANT+ LEV Garmin etc. integration for displaying battery level, mode then just simple buttons on the bars, nothing else.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles