Pulling a trailer (Kinderwagon)

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
Hey folks, I'm wondering if anyone has tried pulling a child wagon, such as a "Thule", behind a Canyon Spectral: on?

I'm looking at buying a Spectral: on 6.0, but whatever bike I end up getting must be able to pull a Thule child wagon (in addition to all the sweet trail shredding). I'm hoping someone has had experience with this already and has info to share!

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
I wrote Canyon asking them if it was technically possible to attach a Thule hanger to tow their Chariot, but their reply was a non-answer, so I guess someone will just have to give it a try and see if the Thule hanger fits on the back, and learn what hardware is required to get it to attach. Here is their email:

Dear [--],

Thank you for your email.

Technically it could be possible, but if we have not tested it on our bikes, we are not able to give you any recommendation.

Should you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day!

Kind regards,

[--]
Servicecenter

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
I also wrote the Commencal for a comparison, and this was their reply (much better customer service it seems like) [I edited the picture he sent to remove identifiable facial features, hopefully that doesn't break any EU regs or copyright protections!]:

Thank you for your email, we appreciate you did contact us directly about the Meta Power 29! We never had this kind of question yet, but for sure that's an interesting topic. We can't tell this is not recommended, if you find a good spot to fix this hook it could be cool... That's not an official recommendation, but I personally did a whole trip on Meta AM V3 with 2 kids in a wagon without any issue and a lot of... Do it yourself bricolage (picture enclosed). As the wagon are usually designed to work with 9 mm rear wheel axle, that's hard to find something 100% compatible with our bike and we have to find alternative ways. A solution would be to put this hook between the frame and the Maxle axle, making the whole a bit bigger, at 12 mm. Maybe the original axle won't be long enough but there are plenty of longer available.

Hope this help, if you need some additional information or further assistance, feel free to come back to us!

[--]
CUSTOMER SERVICE

www.commencal-store.com | www.commencalusa.com
facebook.com/commencal | instagram.com/commencalbikes
Phone (+376) 73 74 93 | Phone (+376) 73 74 75 | Fax (+376) 73 74 90

IMG_2120 (1) 2.jpg

IMG_0165.jpeg

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
I received a second message from Commencal, looks like this one had been through the legal team. Here it is translated by google translate (DE -> EN):

[--]

thank you for your message.

As you already wrote correctly, such axle assembly solutions are rather foreseeable.
In addition, there is a child behind it, with an eBike, the forces and loads are significantly higher than with a "normal" bike and the risks / dangers correspondingly higher.
This creates an additional vulnerability at a critical location that can lead to problems and / or damage. A guarantee does not apply in such cases.

Apart from that, if I see this correctly without technical details about this part, that is for 9 mm quick-release axles.
The Meta Power has a 12 mm axis.

Whether this would fit theoretically, I can not tell you for lack of experience.
The frame is certainly not intended for this, with the existing axles, locknuts and dropouts, this is also more tinkering than a secure trailer hitch.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

[--]

LeonLevo

Jul 31, 2018
Belgium
Hey folks, I'm wondering if anyone has tried pulling a child wagon, such as a "Thule", behind a Canyon Spectral: on?

I'm looking at buying a Spectral: on 6.0, but whatever bike I end up getting must be able to pull a Thule child wagon (in addition to all the sweet trail shredding). I'm hoping someone has had experience with this already and has info to share!

If you don't have trailer yet I can recommend the Tout Terrain products. We have experience with the Singletrailer and the Streamliner.

Anhänger

The Singletrailer is expensive and only for 1 child, but I had my son in it from 3 months until 4 years (offroad only from when he was 1 year). The suspension is great and the fact that it only has a single wheel means you can ride any trail without issues! It has always been great fun with the trailer and towing it can be perfectly done with any decent analogue or electric MTB.

We switched to the Streamliner when he was 4 (and sold the Singletrailer for good money as it still looked like new!). Now our little girl of 4 will be using the Streamliner and our son (now 7) will have his own electric MTB so we can cover a bit more distance.
DSC04078.JPG

DSC04079.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles