Protection (armour etc)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi all,

What protection do people wear? I’m thinking of buying some kind of wearable armour as I want to go back to Bike Park Wales and do the black runs and try more jumps :devilish: but I can’t be taking beatings any more!

I have padded pants (Troy Lee), some Fox padded knee pads and Ixon elbow pads.

Thinking I need an armoured vest and better knee/shin protection.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I have Nukeproof knee and elbow pads. If they catered for the huskier gentleman I’d get a Troy Lee armoured undershirt like this;
IMG_2943.JPG

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
It's your extremities that are most vulnerable, hands, elbows, knees, hips and shoulders that are most likely to catch it in a heavy fall, I have an old Dainese safety suit, originally purchased for dirt bike riding and I have used it regularly for the past 18 years or so, I threw away the spine protector when it was new as it was far to bulky, so it just left the shoulder , elbow and forearm protection on a thin mesh vest that never moves around, it's still the best thing I can find anywhere, if they made them now I would buy another tomorrow. This and a set of Dainese trail skins for my knee's provide great protection and all day comfort.

This is their latest offering,

RHYOLITE 2 SAFETY JACKET LITE
DETAILS
£174.95
1518977148827.png

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I have an old Dainese safety suit that I have used for the past 18 years, I threw away the spine protector when it was new as it was far to bulky, so it left the shoulder , elbow and forearm protection on a thin mesh vest that never moves around, it's still the best thing I can find anywhere, if they made them now I would buy another tomorrow. This and a set of Dainese trail skins for my knee's provide great protection and all day comfort.

This is their latest offering,

DETAILS
£174.95
View attachment 500
Looks good. Is it designed to go under a jersey? Looks almost like a leather jacket!

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Looks good. Is it designed to go under a jersey? Looks almost like a leather jacket!
Hi Rob

Yes it is, the original was a lot lighter construction than this, but would rub if worn next to the skin, I have always worn base layer to suit the time of year to get over this and I really can wear it all day without any issues. With this new version I think they have looked to make it more comfortable to wear next to the skin, but I wonder if it might be a little too much , a bit too warm in summer perhaps?

But it will certainly do the Job, protection where you need it, that does not move around.

Over the years I have seen far too many people with injuries sustained because their armour/protection simply rolled/rotated out of the way on impact and in reality a lot of what it is being sold, unfortunately turns out all too often, to be completely useless.

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi Rob,
The black runs at BPW are ‘proper’ black runs. You need to be a fairly confident rider to do them and I would not advise going down them alone. You will notice at the top there is a gap jump at the very start of the black run. There is no ‘chicken run’ around this jump although you can lift your bike around and over it. If you can’t successfully make this gap jump you shouldn’t go down the run without ‘walking it’ first. There are a few blind summits that can potentially catch you out and spit you off which is what nearly happened to me ?
However, if you are a confident rider you should be fine, just thought it best to let you know before you take the plunge.

I always wear a full face at BPW and the following protection

D3ED6275-EFBF-4EFA-B8D1-70A6145B384B.jpeg
0ED731B9-F590-4B84-AA35-65C55F55130E.jpeg
9A99E3F8-CFE3-4A62-93CB-18831971B359.jpeg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi Rob,
The black runs at BPW are ‘proper’ black runs. You need to be a fairly confident rider to do them and I would not advise going down them alone. You will notice at the top there is a gap jump at the very start of the black run. There is no ‘chicken run’ around this jump although you can lift your bike around and over it. If you can’t successfully make this gap jump you shouldn’t go down the run without ‘walking it’ first. There are a few blind summits that can potentially catch you out and spit you off which is what nearly happened to me ?
However, if you are a confident rider you should be fine, just thought it best to let you know before you take the plunge.

I always wear a full face at BPW and the following protection

View attachment 506 View attachment 507 View attachment 508
Thanks for that. I reckon I might just give the Black a go on the next run (just!).

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I must be a lightweight as I just use a Bliss enduro vest for BPW and the like. It is a base layer with reactive rubber pads that are normally maluable then go hard on impact (a bit like silly putty). It Achilles heel being a lack of rib protection.
Being a flat pedal user I do have combined knee/shin pads from POC.
Helmet wise I am fully on board with the Bell Super convertible helmets, had the Super R and just upgraded to the fully DH approved Super DH after the original one had too many knocks. Again great for enduro, open face for climbing then clip on the chin guard for the knarly bits on the way down. They let a lot more air through than a regular DH helmet too.
Also have the Evoc version of Kiwi in Wales' padded undershorts. They have probably saved more damage damage from gravel rash than anything else.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles