Protecting the motor from water when Decoy is on car bike rack

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Very dry right now in Western Canada, but that can all change very quickly! I've read that you don't want the motor of an ebike to be hit by water on the roads whilst it's on you bike rack. The water is going to hit the motor much harder and faster when driving the can than when riding on wet trails.

I was thinking of getting something like this?

Anyone used that? Or something else?

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Very dry right now in Western Canada, but that can all change very quickly! I've read that you don't want the motor of an ebike to be hit by water on the roads whilst it's on you bike rack. The water is going to hit the motor much harder and faster when driving the can than when riding on wet trails.

It depends where the bike is located. With me it is behind the car. No way the motor gets direct road water. Traveled many many miles with bike like that. If it is on the roof, maybe...I do not know.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
It depends where the bike is located. With me it is behind the car. No way the motor gets direct road water. Traveled many many miles with bike like that. If it is on the roof, maybe...I do not know.
Mine is on the rear of the car - a kuat rack. I do have mud flaps on the car, but would have thought a fair amount of spray from the car rear wheels would still hit the bike?

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Mine is on the rear of the car - a kuat rack. I do have mud flaps on the car, but would have thought a fair amount of spray from the car rear wheels would still hit the bike?
Well I have tow rack mounted on a Ford Focus wagon. I have no issues and I have driven many times in really hard rain with 100+kph for hours
I do use something to shield the battery compartment while travelling

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
I too have had no issues driving in pouring rain with my Decoy on a hitch rack. I do take the battery off and clean the contacts after a long drive in the rain

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020

It doesn't really claim to protect the motor from water, though it might help.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
They mention a few of this issues here at around about the 1:30 mark:
Hi, not to be negative about GMBN (maybe a little..), but the center of the bikes and thus the motor is behind the car. Somewhere around the license plate. When we had ridden in very muddy conditions and transported the bikes on the rack back to our house (1hour drive) in a down pour even the mud is not washed off. I also have never, with our Jeffsies, Decoys or previous bikes, had any problems of rain and speeds of 100 - 130kph. No bearing issues, not motor issues, nothing other than the disc-brakes getting a bit dirty on very long rides (2-days).
Foto is bad since I had to zoom in a lot and could not find any others quickly. I can assure you that it is not an issue. The aerodynamics of a car will also not allow for high speed rain droplets to reach pressure washer speeds for sure....!

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-24 at 09.45.16.jpeg

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Hi, not to be negative about GMBN (maybe a little..), but the center of the bikes and thus the motor is behind the car. Somewhere around the license plate. When we had ridden in very muddy conditions and transported the bikes on the rack back to our house (1hour drive) in a down pour even the mud is not washed off. I also have never, with our Jeffsies, Decoys or previous bikes, had any problems of rain and speeds of 100 - 130kph. No bearing issues, not motor issues, nothing other than the disc-brakes getting a bit dirty on very long rides (2-days).
Foto is bad since I had to zoom in a lot and could not find any others quickly. I can assure you that it is not an issue. The aerodynamics of a car will also not allow for high speed rain droplets to reach pressure washer speeds for sure....!

View attachment 37095
As to GMBN, it must be hard continuing to come up with new content as much programming as they put out. I'm noticing that a lot more, lately, and watching a lot less. Get tired of all the paid-promotions, too. Some promotions are stated and some are just obvious.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
As to GMBN, it must be hard continuing to come up with new content as much programming as they put out. I'm noticing that a lot more, lately, and watching a lot less. Get tired of all the paid-promotions, too. Some promotions are stated and some are just obvious.
Agreed, GMBN as well as EMBN are making videos because the need to. Original content is gone for some time now. Also, some of the test procedures are lacking serious merit most of the time. As a scientist I can not bear to watch the many mistakes they make :)

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Agreed, GMBN as well as EMBN are making videos because the need to. Original content is gone for some time now. Also, some of the test procedures are lacking serious merit most of the time. As a scientist I can not bear to watch the many mistakes they make :)
I know, right? I always laugh at their unscientific tests, they're so meaningless.

Apr 13, 2020
Merthyr tydfil
Nth is engine cover must be the most useless thing you can buy
Won’t protect your bike from water ingress in the UK we ride through mud and wet trails bring the bike home and hose it down after hand washing
More chance of water going in the motor which most manufacturers have solved now

nB2000

Jul 23, 2020
South coast UK

That product looks like its permanently affixed?
The holes for the cranks don't look slotted, so it would be cranks off to fit perhaps, is that right?
If so I'd think that’s adding risk rather than reducing it.
There was a trend in the 90's to add boots or neoprene wraps to suspension fork stanchions/ seal area and similar wraps to shocks to keep crap off, but, if any got in, it couldn’t get out and with damp or mud being out of sight it was often missed leading to corrosion.
Something wrapped around the motor just for the drive might be good for your peace of mind when carrying (although others experience above seems to indicate it's not needed - if mud is not washed off there can't be too much water spraying the area.). I would not want to fit a permanent neoprene boot myself, though.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
That product looks like its permanently affixed?
The holes for the cranks don't look slotted, so it would be cranks off to fit perhaps, is that right?
If so I'd think that’s adding risk rather than reducing it.
There was a trend in the 90's to add boots or neoprene wraps to suspension fork stanchions/ seal area and similar wraps to shocks to keep crap off, but, if any got in, it couldn’t get out and with damp or mud being out of sight it was often missed leading to corrosion.
Something wrapped around the motor just for the drive might be good for your peace of mind when carrying (although others experience above seems to indicate it's not needed - if mud is not washed off there can't be too much water spraying the area.). I would not want to fit a permanent neoprene boot myself, though.
I was also thinking the same after taking a second look. Based on the other comments from above, this might not even be something to worry about. Thanks.

mtbninja

Jul 13, 2020
Canberra, Australia
I trust how well the motors are sealed, they are made that way for a reason, and on the back it wont get anything more than you'd get riding.. Even on the roof I don't think the motor would get exposed that badly.

One big recommendation is to always remove the battery when transporting. Many bikes have frame vents and things to let heat out from the motor and mainly the battery. I'd always go with disconnecting the battery and transporting it in the car. Check the connections are clear and dry before re-installing the battery. Also good to check the connections are clean and dry prior to storing the bike to prevent rust and corrosion.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles