Prospective Jam2 owner

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Looking to change up my eeb & I'm hovering over the idea of either a Rise or a Jam2. Very different things I know but I wonder if a few of you enlightened folk would entertain me with a few questions.

I'm coming off a Decathlon Stilus, so I'm well used to riding a big lump & would be on a Jam2 large, so am I right in thinking it's more or less 24-25kg? and is that in your experience a negative aspect of ownership?

Are you all happy with build quality, customer service & so on? I have seen concerns they come from the factory erm...lightly assembled on occasion, looking at you @Zimmerframe

One aspect of the Stilus that causes debate is the enormous chainstay, is the Jam more playful with what I assume (without actually looking things up yet) is shorter wheelbase & stays?

Anyone know where I can actually get one? ?

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The Weight. It depends upon which Jam2 Large you will be getting. For example mine, a 9.6 NINE with cf frame, weighed 20.4kg without pedals and with the original tyres, but tubeless. I thought my Focus was a thing of beauty and thought that I would never sell it, ever! I bought my particular one because I wanted it to be light. It had the 378whr battery in the frame and the Shimano e8000 motor. My new bike (Merida) weighs 23.8kg and although it is heavier, I genuinely do not notice it when I ride it. Many others have said the same. But some who do wheelies and all sorts of trick stuff that I don't, do notice. The only negative I notice from the weight is when I have to physically lift it over a gate or other obstacle, or when it falls on me!

Build Quality. Overall I thought the build quality was excellent! I had a rear axle come loose a few times, even when properly torqued. But a dab of Loctite Blue solved that. The Lower shock mounting bolt also came loose and broke before I spotted it (shame on me!) That was fixed very quickly under warranty. I had a problem with a battery that would not charge from a low charge AND when the battery was below 10degC. The retailer and I both agreed that it was the charger that was at fault and they replaced it. But Focus insisted that it was the battery, so I git a new battery as well!. All that lot took place in the first few months of ownership. For the next two years until I sold the bike, I had zero issues. The motor was still solid after 3071 miles, and the battery was still charging well and close to its maximum range when new.

Customer Service. No problems at all. I bought from J.E.James in Sheffield and they were excellent in every respect. They were too far for me to use regularly, so I used Rutland Cycling at Whitwell. They too were excellent, even chasing a warranty claim for me. If the claim is small, they charge £37 to pursue it, even though a Focus dealer, because they have received no revenue to compensate them for doing so. I never dealt with Focus themselves, but they proved to be no problem for me.

Playful? You can set up the suspension to be a lot springier to help you hop it about if you wish. As for geometry, you are going to have to compare the geometry tables for yourself. The Focus Jam2 was the first emtb I bought, after checking about 8 different bikes. The Focus Jam2 was the first emtb I rode that actually felt like a real bike, where I could forget what power mode I was in and just enjoy the ride. Setting up the bike to suit you is essential of course. Not just sag, but lever angles, tyre pressures, saddle position fore and aft, bar height. Once I had adjusted all of those I was very happy indeed with the bike. (I did it on every test bike, apologies to those that followed me!)

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The Weight. It depends upon which Jam2 Large you will be getting. For example mine, a 9.6 NINE with cf frame, weighed 20.4kg without pedals and with the original tyres.
That's weird, it didn't notify me even with the flag...

I'm guessing he's thinking more 6.8 or 6.9. - So Aluminium, Bosch and 625wh.

OK. So I've had mine a few months.

It's HEAVY ! It even feels heavy when you pick it up. It feels big too - though part of that is me comparing Kenevo 1.3 (27.5) to Jam (29). 29's feel big but you're used to them.

Did the lazy weigh the other day with bathroom scales front then back, not 100% accurate but within 100g ish. Kenevo in "L" with Tubeless & 2.4 Wilds was 24kg's.

Jam2 in M with Magic Mary's and Tubes was 25.5kg's .

29's should be lighter than 27.5 because there's more space for air between the spokes ... :p

To ride, they feel very similar weight wise, though whilst I never believed it, the 27.5's do feel more nimble and makes the Kenevo feel like a little childs BMX compared to the Jam feeling more like an MX bike. But saying that, the Jam just feels like you can throw it into any corner, really easily, you also seem to have more time ?! I can pick lines more easily and change line more easily - even though the 27.5's feel more nimble - it's weird to explain and everytime I ride it I feel like it's contradicting itself.

Design and build quality are actually good on both of them. Assembly on the JAM is a bit suspect and you need to do a full bolt check, especially the suspension - who ever assembles that at the factory doesn't have a torque wrench - mine had been put in finger tight and it creaked like a pig. Everything else was correct and everywhere was/is correctly greased and so on. Chain guide needs lifting to high point or it catches. I built he Kenevo up, so this was never an issue there.

In terms of real world size - the Jam2 6.9 M and the Kenevo L are actually near as dammit EXACTLY the same - even the fork angles, which should be completely different, are within a smidge of a degree visually or measured.

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

General riding and living with. As a bike it's really really stable, capable and VERY confidence inspiring. It's also much more poppy than the Kenevo - or easier to setup to be much more poppy.

Equipment wise it's well spec'd out of the box. I'd decided I wanted something where I wasn't going to change ANYTHING on it. The dropper post lever is less than perfect, but can be adjusted round a bit and I've got used to it. Shimano do a cheap one which is better, but it doesn't fit with my change nothing rule.

If you're used to the Gen4 already then you'll know it pulls well, offers great support and range. The battery is a little tricky to get out, but not impossible. Charges through a flange on the top tube which seems to do the job. Purion is big, bulky ugly, but works.

I wasn't sure how I'd get on with the Fox 36, but it's actually really good. The rear's not quite as nice as the ohlins on the Kenevo, but saying that it took me 18 months to get that exactly as I wanted it.

Bars and grips feel nice, weirdly the 35mm bars feel stiffer, but this must be psychological. The cables run in through the stem, so there's a knock block to stop it spinning round and destroying them. I was concerned this would be an issue also, but it's not. You only notice when man handling it off the bike.

In terms of performance, it feels like it's always faster than the Kenevo - and effortless at that. Where I fight and battle with the Kenevo, I just glide along on the Jam. Actual times wise, the Kenevo's been faster though - until a couple of weeks ago when I finally started trusting it a bit more and started chewing chunks out of segment times.

The saddle is unpadded and light. Feels like you're sitting on a rock. But once you're riding it's actually supportive and fine and you don't notice - so I guess the shape is correct for my arse. This might not be the case for everyone, so that might be something you'd swap out.

The Mary's are great and even roll well, either DH or riding over the assist limit. Very impressed and yes, out of curiosity, I've even left it tubed and running slightly higher pressure than normal and that's been ok too. Comes with valves etc to make tubeless and comes with a little front mudguard (I bought one as I didn't know it did).

Doesn't have any in-built tools like the Kenevo, so that might be something you need to address.

In conclusion, a really really nice bike. Probably the nicest one I've ridden. I was going to buy a Rise or a Syrion aswell as I'd convinced myelf I'd be faster on something lighter .. After I rode the Focus the first time, I wasn't so sure so haven't bothered. I'm actually ... content ! :)

Support wise. I bought on line as I couldn't get one through a dealer until next year. The dealers were all really helpful though - completely the opposite of the French Specialized dealers. Wrote to Focus once with a basic query they could have helpfully responded too, but they brushed me off and said talk to my dealer - so that was a bit disappointing and they could certainly do more there.

As for buying, there seem to be a couple out there, .. Small here 6.9: (also have 6.8's) - you want a large .....

6.8 large here - where I got mine from :

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
That's great, thanks guys. 25 is chunky, then again, I'm riding 24 ish now, so it's not a deal breaker for me, although gates can be a pig to negotiate. I'm pleased to see the handling is fun & I'm definitely leaning towards a Fox 36. My riding is largely trail bashing punctuated with long drags & fast descents, so a trail focused bike is ideal which leaves a conundrum, I can buy a Sam2 today, too burly for me but can't find a Jam2 in 2021 spec anywhere in the UK in my size, so like everyone else, turning over the websites & stock alerts is my new hobby.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
................ can't find a Jam2 in 2021 spec anywhere in the UK in my size, so like everyone else, turning over the websites & stock alerts is my new hobby.
Keep looking!
My Merida e-One Sixty 9000 came from nowhere! It was from a general Google search after giving up searching on retailers websites. When I rang the retailer (JE James) they denied they had one at first. For weeks beforehand, JE James had been reporting zero stock. It wasn't until I told them where to look that they agreed and moved it from their Rotherham warehouse to the retail outlet for me to have a sit on. Lucky me!

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Well, I had a ring round a dozen bike shops today, no surprises that they all chuckled when I asked if a 6.9 might appear this side of the resurrection. It's rough out there for sure. Thing is I am working against the clock because this is essentially a purchase to offset a corporation tax bill& would involve resubmitting accounts for last year.

Anyway, that's my problem but the dilemma is I can buy a Sam2 today which afaict is a Sam2 with bigger suspension & another kilo or two but as a matter of preference, I'd sooner have the Jam & not buy a Sam then start swapping parts around. Decisions, decisions.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
OK, so another day ringing round the bike shops has made it clear that there's really nothing coming this year, so I've taken a view & so this is on its way to me in the next fortnight or so. I figure it's a Jam all over except for the suspension really, so if I wanted, I could swap things around I guess. I've ended up ordering from Spain, so I'm on the hook for VAT, import duty, handling fees & I hope it works as I don't really fancy organising a return but times are hard & it's a calculated risk.

641518005-focus-sam2-6-8-milk-brown-2021-2.jpg

Cancer73

Sep 12, 2021
Sydney Aus
Hello Rusty,
I bought a Focus JAM2 6.8 NINE back in March here in Oz, and due to the C-drama have only had it on dirt once. It's a beast with those 29er's. Build is good along with components, as far as I can compare to other makes in this price window. As for value for money this is one of the main drivers for me and you get a lot for your $$$. I'm 890km's into this thing and love it. Sure it's heavy but once you see the frame engineering, battery 625Wh and go for a quick ride, that Bosch motor will raise a smile on your dial! Keep hunting.

pmcc

Feb 14, 2021
Northern Ireland
I got a Focus Jam2 6.7 in the spring. Nothing was in stock local so ended up taking a chance and ordered from a German website Jonito. It came fully built with both wheels on, the box was worse for wear but bike was perfect. All I had to do was fit pedals and turn the handle bars round.

Enjoying the bike but its my 1st ebike/ proper mtb so have nothing to compare it too.

My medium was also 25.5kg with tubes as someone mentioned above. Heavy bike to lift high but as I'm used to riding mx bikes I never noticed it feeling heavy when riding.

I never rode mtb trials on normal bikes before this so I'm starting from scratch having to work out the techniques but lately I have started to feel like I can pop over some rocks bumps and things easily enough as others have talked about even with the cheap suspension used on the 6.7.

Motor is great, battery life with 625wh is more than I can use atm.

Quality seems good, had one bolt loosen on the suspension linkage but checking it every so often and hasn't loosened since. Just a matter of keeping an eye on it.

Only critism I have is sometimes I feel like the front gets light going up hills and even lifts up in the steeper stuff if pedaling hard. Though I have had to raise my bars due to old injuries which wouldn't help in that area.

All in all, very happy with it and was good value compared to other options.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Hello Rusty,
I bought a Focus JAM2 6.8 NINE back in March here in Oz, and due to the C-drama have only had it on dirt once. It's a beast with those 29er's. Build is good along with components, as far as I can compare to other makes in this price window. As for value for money this is one of the main drivers for me and you get a lot for your $$$. I'm 890km's into this thing and love it. Sure it's heavy but once you see the frame engineering, battery 625Wh and go for a quick ride, that Bosch motor will raise a smile on your dial! Keep hunting.
No need to keep hunting, she's tucked away in the garage. (y)

t2Rub49d.jpg large.jpg

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
My ha'pth worth Rode my 2017 Jam2 for best part of 4 years and 4500 miles.....No problems until the internal battery gave up......£500 to replace!
Have only decided to replace Jam to get away from Derailleurs and chains so now have a Ries& Muller Delight Mountain........
Its heavy so now I realize how chuckable and nimble the Focus is Non removable 350 ah battery helps but is also a problem for winter storage , range and travel charging. If Focus introduce the Revonte system I will be first in line at the store.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
OK, after falling out of love with the bulk of the Sam, I was lucky to grab a Jam last week & I'm loving it. The bike came with a Fox 34 rhythm. I'm aware it's an oem only budgety fork & having only ever had RS forks in the past, I really like the feel of it but it is noodly, feels a bit light weight for the platform. Anyone running a 36? & if so what are your thoughts?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Have the 6.9 which came with the 36's.

It was the one thing on the bike I was apprehensive about !

I actually really like them. OK, small bump compliance doesn't remove every marble, but it's a mountain bike not a rolls royce. Given that, they're nice and poppy and supportive and at the same time soak up the big hits no problem so really a win win for me. I possibly prefer them over my Lyric's (which do need a service) - so yes, pleasantly surprised - even more so considering I was psychologically expecting them to be sh1t.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
That's interesting - can I surmise you orginally would have preferred say a 38? That seems on the big side to me. On a side note, I've flogged the Sam, so I have cash burning a hole in my pocket & itchy upgrade fingers, so I'm mulling over a 36 or even a ghetto Lyrik I.e. a cheap Yari with an RC2 & Debonair spring although I'm pretty sure the Yari is a 35 mm stanchion fork & wouldn't really solve the problem I'm thinking about.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That's interesting - can I surmise you orginally would have preferred say a 38? That seems on the big side to me. On a side note, I've flogged the Sam, so I have cash burning a hole in my pocket & itchy upgrade fingers, so I'm mulling over a 36 or even a ghetto Lyrik I.e. a cheap Yari with an RC2 & Debonair spring although I'm pretty sure the Yari is a 35 mm stanchion fork & wouldn't really solve the problem I'm thinking about.
I think in my head I quite fancied a Zeb or possibly another Lyric/or similar. I wasn't overly sold on the Fox for a myriad of reasons.

I don't think I'd rule out the Yari. Most of that "range" are the same 35mm and until the Zeb and 38 came along you didn't really hear about everyone worrying about flex or how they perform. Even the 34 you have is a pretty good option ? A lot of it's perception, you said you like the feel of it but it seems a bit noodly - which is more perception ? Than reality ? It's lighter. The unsprung mass is lighter, potentially it will perform better in many circumstances, keep it poppy and fun ? - we're all just drawn to having indestructible SUV's ! :) I think for me, the beauty with the Focus was that it was the one bike I was happy I could just buy and ride and not have a second hobby of upgrading it into a different bike. Maybe throw your money at some different wheels/hubs as I think that's one failure point on yours (hubs). Or a Kindernay VII just to be different as that covers that at the same time anyway ! :)

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Yep, heard of lots about the Novatec hubs lunching themselves. On the Sam the Zeb was a rock solid, immobile beast, whereas I can see the 34 lowers vibrating on every ride, so a bit more than perception I think. You make a good point though, I do like the suppleness of the Fox, it's the first time I've had one on a bike, so maybe keep my wallet shut for a while.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
whereas I can see the 34 lowers vibrating on every ride,
Think of it as a Three Dimensional multiplane terrain transmogrification device. If forks all started at 40mm, we'd now be paying more each year for thinner lighter ones which have more flex for better tracking and traction :)

Next thing you know we'll be paying more for bikes with smaller batteries and smaller or de-tuned motors ! :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles