Propain Ekano

Luxx

Jan 12, 2020
Austria
Hey! Is somebody out there who’s on an Ekano these days and want’s to share some impressions? Or are you too busy shredding... ?
It’s a great looking bike I think with amazing value for money ??
They’re running a great configurator on the webpage for setting up your bike individually

mine would look like this ??
310B1D5B-441D-41BB-98C6-5F6E5FA5A113.jpeg

Last edited:

Luxx

Jan 12, 2020
Austria
Found this review on YouTube, maybe that can help if someone is interested in buying one of those fun machines

Dunkz

Jul 20, 2019
Scotland
If you look on instagram theres lots of photos of them starting to crop up and theres a few folk with videos on YT starting to appear. Im from Scotland but living in France for the ski season. Gonna drop them a message and see if I can get a test ride at some point soon then if I'm happy I'll order a bike to collect on my way home at the start of May.

aajiikoo

Jan 29, 2020
Finland
Hello! I've had Ekano 165 since last November and so far I've been impressed. My last bike was Merida Eone Sixty 800 and although it was a decent bike I still wanted something different: 29" wheels front and back, more travel, longer, slacker and room for a bottle cage. And also the frame of the Merida cracked only after a couple of months so I wanted something sturdier. I got a new frame from Merida but I had to wait for it the whole last summer which pretty much ruined the riding season for me. So I didn't want that to happen again and sold the bike as soon as I got the new frame...

In the end the only options for me was Ekano 165 and 2020 Commencal Meta Power 29 but it was quite an easy decision because Ekano was much cheaper with a similar spec and geometry (although you have to size up to match Commencal geometry). I chose the start configuration but I upgraded to Lyrik Ultimate, Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate, Bikeyoke Revive and Selle saddle. So far there hasn't been anything to complain about and the build quality looks good.

imitsus

Feb 14, 2020
Greece
I own a mixed wheels 165 with lyric ultimate and super deluxe coil since December

Really really nice bike. I love it so far.

1st question: which is the bottle cage you use on your ekano? Plug of battery is near the bottom of a classic cage, so not all bottle cages are compatible.

Of course you could fit any cage but the shape around the bottom will distrurb the plug

I be seen that the fidlock system (450ml) should work fine but in reality I just need to secure a tool bottle, so I need a bottle cage and not the fidlock system

2nd question not really ekano only related

It's the first bike I own that uses that kind of real axle, a six mm Allen axle and not a quick release axle. In every single ride I ll have to screw the bolt... It's so annoying. Of course I have tightened it to spec torque etc but the problem remains. I m really thinking to secure a L shaped Allen key to bolt, and tie it to chainstay..... But that's crazy

aajiikoo

Jan 29, 2020
Finland
1st:
I have fidlock 450ml and I'm pretty sure that a larger bottle won't fit because of the piggyback. I've been thinking that probably I'll try to turn around the shock so that the piggyback is at the rear. That way there should be room for a larger bottle but it remains to be seen if the piggyback causes any issues when it's sideways.

2nd:
On my last ride the rear axle loosened and of course I didn't have any tools with me so I had to ride carefully back home. Let's see if it loosens again but probably I'll take an allen key with me just in case. In my experience all 12mm rear axles have loosened at some point but this is the first one for me that hasn't any built-in handle to tighten it.

The only bigger issue I have had is with the battery. It keeps on loosing capacity and at the moment there is only 87% left after 20 charging cycles. I contacted Shimano importer today and they agreed that there must be something wrong with the battery and they'll send me a new battery through local Shimano dealer.

Dmh_875

May 10, 2020
straya
Has any one had any warranty issues with this bike? If so how do propain handle them?
And what's thoughts a few months into owning the bike?
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on either the ekano or a decoy. Very similar in price and geo. But both have big pros and cons! .

I've only seen a few videos of ekano mostly in German.. most of the videos/review are great but pretty basic when it comes to how the bike handles any more than a light trail.
from the importer to aus there isn't any in our country yet. Propain in general are pretty rare here.

The yt seems like a great bike value and fun wise but the yt customer service is horrible.
Thanks!

aajiikoo

Jan 29, 2020
Finland
Has any one had any warranty issues with this bike? If so how do propain handle them?
And what's thoughts a few months into owning the bike?
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on either the ekano or a decoy. Very similar in price and geo. But both have big pros and cons! .

I've only seen a few videos of ekano mostly in German.. most of the videos/review are great but pretty basic when it comes to how the bike handles any more than a light trail.
from the importer to aus there isn't any in our country yet. Propain in general are pretty rare here.

The yt seems like a great bike value and fun wise but the yt customer service is horrible.
Thanks!
I've had Ekano 165 29" since last November and I'm still happy with the bike and I still think that I made the right choice when choosing it over Commencal or YT. I had a warranty issue a few weeks ago when the dropper post broke and this warranty issue was handled very well. They sent me a new one on the next day after making the warranty claim.

Last edited:

Dmh_875

May 10, 2020
straya
I've had Ekano 165 29" since last November and I'm still happy with the bike and I still think that I made the right choice when choosing it over Commencal or YT. I had a warranty issue a few weeks ago when the dropper post broke and this warranty issue was handled very well. They sent me a new one on the next day after making the warranty claim.

Thanks for the reply! That's great that they delt with it so fast!
Its a pretty tough decision to make really!
On paper there is very little that separates the two bikes. I'd love to see a head to head comparison!

Apparently the bike will have the option of the fox 38s for another option wich will be great to see!

Dmh_875

May 10, 2020
straya
I'm also interested to see. Now that all of this years models are more or less sold out. I seen a post from propain on Facebook saying that the bike will be available again in September. Will be great to see if the new shimano motor is on this bike (if it is even out) ive bounced between both the decoy and ekano but the next couple of months will definitely answer that!

Dunkz

Jul 20, 2019
Scotland
Apparently commencals new bikes come out in September aswell and we already know they are going to have the new shimano bits. It seems pretty likely they're going to change as the ability to even order with a long lead time has gone which suggests price changes too. You could originally order a bike about 9 months before they shipped so i cant see them taking away that option just because they dont have frames in stock.

Dmh_875

May 10, 2020
straya
Apparently commencals new bikes come out in September aswell and we already know they are going to have the new shimano bits. It seems pretty likely they're going to change as the ability to even order with a long lead time has gone which suggests price changes too. You could originally order a bike about 9 months before they shipped so i cant see them taking away that option just because they dont have frames in stock.
Thats a good point. Will be interesting to see what other changes are made!

Frirish

Aug 19, 2020
Carlow, Ireland
E-Mountainbike magazine had a picture few minutes ago of the new Ekano as part of the EP8 review, but removed it.
there was a link to an early test ride.
Top specs in silver at a big price increase of over €8k

Dunkz

Jul 20, 2019
Scotland
Yup, they're obviously not quite ready yet. I'm sure it wont be long. be interesting to see how the prices match up on the custom builder to what I was seeing before. Luckily I have my desired spec screenshotted for a price comparison.

Dmh_875

May 10, 2020
straya
I will be interested in aus pricing and time it will take to get here. Looks to be mainly cosmetic changes. And ofcourse the suspension options!

I'm really stuck now! I was at first stuck with the ekano then that has changed to tge commencal but pretty disappointed with the spec they have come out with for the sx. Now im sitting on the fence with the ekano and the decoy elite.

Frirish

Aug 19, 2020
Carlow, Ireland
I will be interested in aus pricing and time it will take to get here. Looks to be mainly cosmetic changes. And ofcourse the suspension options!

I'm really stuck now! I was at first stuck with the ekano then that has changed to tge commencal but pretty disappointed with the spec they have come out with for the sx. Now im sitting on the fence with the ekano and the decoy elite.
Same here yes. Hard to find good specs/geo for under €5000 ...

Dunkz

Jul 20, 2019
Scotland
So my build previously came out to £4810. It's now £5686 with the only difference being the fox 38 instead of the 36 and of course the new shimano bits.
Some of that could be exchange rate related too.

Bogdan_CH

Apr 22, 2020
Oradea, Romania
Must be a problem with the website, order now ! hahaha

They fixed it. Now it's €5K for the most basic spec with a dropper ( it's a scam basically to advertise an trail / enduro e bike without a dropper post to be honest) . It's nicely spec ed but I'll still get a comp Carbon Decoy with still a good motor and bigger battery at 540w

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles