Problems with Di2 mode shifting

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Today, the big downshift lever started to act up. I would shift, it would click, all felt normal, but the mode did not drop from Trail to Eco. Shifting up, using the small lever was never a problem. Sometimes downshifting would act up, sometimes not. I tried shifting all the way down to Walk. But it wouldn't even move from Eco. Then all of a sudden it did. Moving back up the modes using the small upshift lever, it went straight from Walk to Trail, missing out Off and Eco.

This feels like a mechanical problem, not an electrical one. Has anyone had this before with a Di2 system? Any suggestions, quick fixes.....?

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
Yep had it a bit on both of the Di2 shifters, I just put it down to grit and crap in there, so I just blast with water and spray liberally with a water displacer/lube seems ok and works but still find it a bit clunky. Thinking of switching to the e7000 shifters.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
E8000 mode switch is prone to this. It can be cleaned and lubed, but the best solution is to switch to the E7000. More compact, more natural, lighter, less prone to damage.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
My thanks to @RickBullotta and @Nickolp1974

Are the Di2 shifters serviceable?

I once took apart a gear shifter, never again!!

Not sure Steve, I just wish they would all make stuff great British weather proof. I look after my stuff, clean and lube etc after every ride and by spring I will defo need, new, headset, pedals, shifters and chain. Price you pay i suppose for still getting out when the weather's crap!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Mode change only. Smooth as silk. Simple and logical up/down buttons.
I can see the logic and I like the simplicity, but..... When I was testing bikes last year, I completely failed to get on with the rocker switch type of mode shifter. It was a combination of me not feeling any click through my gloves and me being bounced about on rough trails and clicking multiple times when I only wanted to click once. I ended up switching the power off, or putting into boost at the wrong time, or with five modes to choose from just getting completely the wrong one . When I got to a 3-mode lever, I was suddenly very happy; I had zero doubt about whether I had shifted or not and knew absolutely how many times I had shifted.

I knew that levers were a more complex thing, but we've had shift levers on bikes for generations now, the tech must be well sorted by now! (That's what I told myself anyway).

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I can see the logic and I like the simplicity, but..... When I was testing bikes last year, I completely failed to get on with the rocker switch type of mode shifter. It was a combination of me not feeling any click through my gloves and me being bounced about on rough trails and clicking multiple times when I only wanted to click once. I ended up switching the power off, or putting into boost at the wrong time, or with five modes to choose from just getting completely the wrong one . When I got to a 3-mode lever, I was suddenly very happy; I had zero doubt about whether I had shifted or not and knew absolutely how many times I had shifted.

I knew that levers were a more complex thing, but we've had shift levers on bikes for generations now, the tech must be well sorted by now! (That's what I told myself anyway).

I find myself changing modes at most 4-5 times over a 2 hour ride, so I'm totally cool with the simplicity and reliably of the E7000.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
Mine is doing the same thing. I ride in dusty conditions and it seems as though the e8000 shifters are not sealed very well. I blasted some air op the bottom were the shifters come out and around the hole unit and it got better. not perfect, better

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Washing the bike seems to have solved the problem. I didn't do anything specific to the levers, just the normal bucket of hot soapy water and a brush to the bike, then rinsed off with rainwater from a watering can.
No problems at all on the next ride. :unsure: Hmmm
Sunday Edit: Or the two after that. :)

But then it happened again, several times. The dealer said it would be muck in the mechanism and he did not recommend sluicing it out with water. They recommend an airline, and of course we all have one of those don't we?

Anyway, ever since his airline use, the problem has not recurred.

Last edited:

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
I am seriously thinking about E 7000 switch for my bike. It's smaller and will allow me to use a different dropper post. I like the cable activated ones more than the hydraulic Roxshox's dropper I have.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles