Problems! What are my rights?

Boloclips

Jan 27, 2019
Warminster, Wiltshire, England
Hi. Purchased my giant Trance +3 in December 2018 and it has now been back to the shop 5 times. Rear hub completely broken and still have not been replaced (I purchased a new hope wheel just so I can ride while waiting for the replacement wheel) now the red warning light keeps on appearing when riding. It’s been back to giant for over 2 weeks who have completely replaced everything electrical. I got it back yesterday and drove up to Afan today but after just 20 mins the red light is back on? I have taken it back to giant who have advised I need to put my complaint in writing. I don’t want this bike anymore ?

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
Not sure what your consumer rights are in your country but here in New Zealand I’d be getting my money back or be asking for a new replacement bike. Your purchase (bike) as to be fit for use, it’s also your dealers problem to sort for you not for you to deal with Giant directly. Good luck

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
Bugger to hear mate.

What happens when the red light is on, bike goes into limp mode, as in still motor still acts normally but will only operate in 1st power level?

When you say everything electrical, this includes battery, switch, crank sensor, control switch, pickup sensor or including motor?

Assuming battery has been fully charged?

If the wheel pickup is not in the correct place it will throw a red light. I tried a couple of things for my own curiousity, i removed the wheel magnet, bike rode fine for a while then red light, no assist from motor. Attached the magnet to the sensor, bike rode fine for a while then red light, no assist from the motor.

Sounds like they need to do a process of elimination, one thing at a time. I know it is not your problem to sort, but to find a conclusion, the problem needs to be sorted and changing it all at once won't give them an answer, just that something worked. I know what it is like to loose confidence in the bike, ask for a replacement or your money back. Have you recorded all your issues so you have a record of it, it should be able to be replaced under warranty and maybe the bike sent back to Giant.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
When the red light comes on it should throw up one of the 5 power setting lights too to show the fault ie 1 battery 2 motor and so on....ive only had this happen once in 700 miles and it was down to a loose battery giant replaced the battery lock and has been fine for the last 200 miles inc some serious mountain rocky descents !

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hi. Purchased my giant Trance +3 in December 2018 and it has now been back to the shop 5 times. Rear hub completely broken and still have not been replaced (I purchased a new hope wheel just so I can ride while waiting for the replacement wheel) now the red warning light keeps on appearing when riding. It’s been back to giant for over 2 weeks who have completely replaced everything electrical. I got it back yesterday and drove up to Afan today but after just 20 mins the red light is back on? I have taken it back to giant who have advised I need to put my complaint in writing. I don’t want this bike anymore ?
The law is quite clear in within EU, if they can’t fix the same issue in 3 tries, the product is not fit for purpose and you can demand money back or a similar product in working order.

Karsten

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
The law is quite clear in within EU, if they can’t fix the same issue in 3 tries, the product is not fit for purpose and you can demand money back or a similar product in working order.

Karsten

We have similar laws in the US. We call it the Lemon Law but usually it refers to automobiles.. when you get a "lemon" ??

Boloclips

Jan 27, 2019
Suppose its a trade off your gonna get from a bike that can do 70miles on one charge. (when faults are not showing their ugly face). No bikes perfect
I don’t want to change from a giant just think my bike is a lemon and I would like a replacement. Going to ask them for a +2 as compensation for all of the problems including having to purchase a new back wheel when I have seen other people have there back wheels replaced with hope for FOC

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
I don’t want to change from a giant just think my bike is a lemon and I would like a replacement. Going to ask them for a +2 as compensation for all of the problems including having to purchase a new back wheel when I have seen other people have there back wheels replaced with hope for FOC
At least ask for cash back for the cost to replace your rear wheel, but i think you should stick to your guns and demand that they replace the bike, as it does sound like you have got a lemon. I hope Giant start doing the right thing and warranty these things properly, start winning back some customer loyalty.

Yonkk

Jan 10, 2019
usa
BE LOUD Post your concerns where they do business. No one wants their product or business talked about in a bad way.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Your consumer rights are no different to taking a faulty pair if shoes back to a retailer, you're entitled to a refund.
Giant are entitled to rectify the problem to a point, you can insist on a refund from your retailer, if no joy then, if you purchased it by credit card, you can raise the issue with your card provider as goods carry a 12 month warranty when purchased this way, they will take the issue up with the retailer you purchased it from and may just issue a charge back meaning that you get your money back and the retailer has then got to liaise with Giant for a replacement to his stock or a refund.

Boloclips

Jan 27, 2019
Hi everyone and thanks for all the advice. Well due to the fact that I am a really
Hi everyone and thank you for all the advice. The update on my problem is I am waiting for my bike to be repaired one last time. I wanted to say my thoughts and demand a new bike but different words came out of my mouth And I ended up saying yes and ok then lol. If it goes wrong again then I will get my wife to complain for me as she has got a massive set of balls when it come to moaning ?!! Can’t wait to get my bake back now as it it an amazing bike when it works ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Suppose its a trade off your gonna get from a bike that can do 70miles on one charge. (when faults are not showing their ugly face). No bikes perfect
I'd really like to try a Giant to see what range I'd get out of it. I bet it's nowhere near 70 miles.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
My stance died again at cannock friday drove all way there 90 miles for nowt! Dropped it back in dealers and told manager its not fit for purpose and he agreed and is gonna speak to giant uk tomorrow ( monday) so see what they say!!! Bike as before kept turning off and gave red light 2 ie motor fault..also my rear hub was loose again after only two weeks! ...yesterday i took my new fathom pro out and that cut power after 10 miles!!! I thought wtf here we go but turns out the magnet was loose and had moved so quick trail fix! Phew...

Boloclips

Jan 27, 2019
My stance died again at cannock friday drove all way there 90 miles for nowt! Dropped it back in dealers and told manager its not fit for purpose and he agreed and is gonna speak to giant uk tomorrow ( monday) so see what they say!!! Bike as before kept turning off and gave red light 2 ie motor fault..also my rear hub was loose again after only two weeks! ...yesterday i took my new fathom pro out and that cut power after 10 miles!!! I thought wtf here we go but turns out the magnet was loose and had moved so quick trail fix! Phew...
Good luck with giant and the not fit for purpose problem. I called giant today for an update and the part they need is on a 3 week delivery lol so they are taking the part of a bike they have in stock now

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Hey, good luck Boloclips. I had a similar problem with a Lemon Focus Jam 2 I bought in 2017. I had it in for repair 7 times. for more or less the same thing each time. Actually my Handler was great and gave me a loan cube Stereo most of the times my bike was in for repair. After the last repair where it was sent back to the Manufacturer for 7 weeks for a rebuild, I got it back and it had a new problem, I just said "New bike or Money back. I'm never riding this bike again!!". They refunded me fully. I think they were pissed off with the bike too.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Giant uk have decided to send me a new stance e, as mine wasnt fit for purpose, bike arrives Wednesday!

Don't get too giddy, agree in principle to accepting a replacement, but a lemon for a lemon is still a lemon, fingers crossed for you.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Don't get too giddy, agree in principle to accepting a replacement, but a lemon for a lemon is still a lemon, fingers crossed for you.
Oh dont worry, if and i say if it has same problem down the line its refund time... the dealer manager agreed with me

Boloclips

Jan 27, 2019
Giant uk have decided to send me a new stance e, as mine wasnt fit for purpose, bike arrives Wednesday!
Nice one and good on giant. I get my fully repaired trance back on Wednesday also as the shop have pinched the parts they need of a bike they have in stock. If it happens again then I will demand a new bike but I’m hoping it’s all good ?

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Oh dont worry, if and i say if it has same problem down the line its refund time... the dealer manager agreed with me

Good for you, I would maybe suggest a 48 hour trial of the replacement bike to determine if it's for for purpose, you'll then have time to judge if it's right for you or if you'd prefer a refund and go in a different direction as in buy a different brand, hope all goes well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles