Problem with E-bike can you help

johncobbmail

Sep 10, 2019
somerset
its a shimano steps 8000 and its starts fine no errors but wont go into gear (drive) just stays in off (neutral)

i contacted shimano on FB and no reply, i cant go back to shop as its 200 miles away

i emailed local shop 'The Bicycle Chain' but they was not really much help they said they would diagnose if for a fee plus labout but that it not fix it

how does everyone help fix there bike only 3 month old

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm no expert but some "simple simon" advice here:
Electrical problem: Check for any loose wires that have come loose, particularly those that go into the display as they can easily snag on branches and get dislodged. They may not even be hanging loose, just not fully inserted.
Mechanical problem: I have had problems with the Di2 levers. Not the levers themselves but where the cables they connect to disappear into the housing to the right of them. I was getting all sorts of random shifting of power mode problems. I got the bike shop to blow suspected grit out with an air line. They saw nothing, but I have had no further problems since.
I suspect that because the problem was not with the actual Di2 levers, that this problem could occur even if you use the rocker switch actuator.

Good luck and please report back when you get it sorted with what the problem was. :)

johncobbmail

Sep 10, 2019
somerset
I'm no expert but some "simple simon" advice here:
Electrical problem: Check for any loose wires that have come loose, particularly those that go into the display as they can easily snag on branches and get dislodged. They may not even be hanging loose, just not fully inserted.
Mechanical problem: I have had problems with the Di2 levers. Not the levers themselves but where the cables they connect to disappear into the housing to the right of them. I was getting all sorts of random shifting of power mode problems. I got the bike shop to blow suspected grit out with an air line. They saw nothing, but I have had no further problems since.
I suspect that because the problem was not with the actual Di2 levers, that this problem could occur even if you use the rocker switch actuator.

Good luck and please report back when you get it sorted with what the problem was. :)
thanks for info i will have to start looking into it, i have been on to local shops and even thought shimano dealers wont help and want let of money to look at it and wont even warrenty the bit that may be broke.

i have never washed the bike so i know its not water damage, it feels like its just the shifter packed up but still trying to work out if to spend £100 on a shifter and not be it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles