Pro29 Vs Mullet Shred?

Oct 3, 2020
UK
Hello Folks,

I was wondering if there was a mix of mullets and 29'er riders in here that would offer their opinions on range and riding styles, I've been watching / reading many reviews on E Bikes and I'm thinking that the YT is for me, the 540 battery somewhat concerns me, but also I'm wondering if the full 29'er is good for a bit of everything, like Trail Centres and Single track, but also downhill runs as I'm looking to get a bit more adventurous. And also opinions on the opposite, are people happy riding the Red/black trail loops at the trail centres on the mullet?.... I'm UK based, so Trail Centres to me are Afan / Dalby Forest etc and DH Runs are Bike Park Wales/Black Mountain and forest of Dean ..... and finally, what are the rough dimensions of the YT battery, is a spare in the backpack an easy solution?

I'm 6.2 and eying up the XL of either one of the Decoy's, just pondering over which one.

Thanks for reading

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Hi mate I’m from the Rhondda an riding a 2019 decoy pro r mullet xl
I ride all local trails, cross country, afan, bike park etc I love my bike,
6’1 about 20st as lost a little lol. It handles anything an every thing I can through at it. I ride blues an reds but I guarantee it would be fine on blacks just my confidence won’t allow my.
Battery is good for about 30mi mixed settings but it depends on how fit u are an ur weight as my 14 ish st mate gets 50plus out of his battery

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
Hello Folks,

I was wondering if there was a mix of mullets and 29'er riders in here that would offer their opinions on range and riding styles, I've been watching / reading many reviews on E Bikes and I'm thinking that the YT is for me, the 540 battery somewhat concerns me, but also I'm wondering if the full 29'er is good for a bit of everything, like Trail Centres and Single track, but also downhill runs as I'm looking to get a bit more adventurous. And also opinions on the opposite, are people happy riding the Red/black trail loops at the trail centres on the mullet?.... I'm UK based, so Trail Centres to me are Afan / Dalby Forest etc and DH Runs are Bike Park Wales/Black Mountain and forest of Dean ..... and finally, what are the rough dimensions of the YT battery, is a spare in the backpack an easy solution?

I'm 6.2 and eying up the XL of either one of the Decoy's, just pondering over which one.

Thanks for reading
I just got the 29er but really wanted the mullet. I think the 29er is good for everything but I think the mullet would be too. Don't think you will go far wrong with either although be careful washing the bike as they do have problems with water getting into the connections causing the Shimano controller to freeze. Awesome looking and riding bikes though. I think the 29er would be better for you unless your an aggressive rider who likes really steep stuff or big air.

Oct 3, 2020
UK
They do have an XL 29'er at the mill, so I think I might take it out for a spin, get a feel for an EBike in general, maybe I'm kidding myself about getting crazy at the bike park, I probably am :) I'm too old and too scared :)

@mikeyneale21 - I've been scanning these forms for people complaining about stuff, certainly the customer service and the washing thing have come up, hoping the Mill will solve the customer service issues, don't know any folk with an ebike so not sure if it's the same for washing electronic equipment in general, you have to be rather carful ....

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
They do have an XL 29'er at the mill, so I think I might take it out for a spin, get a feel for an EBike in general, maybe I'm kidding myself about getting crazy at the bike park, I probably am :) I'm too old and too scared :)

@mikeyneale21 - I've been scanning these forms for people complaining about stuff, certainly the customer service and the washing thing have come up, hoping the Mill will solve the customer service issues, don't know any folk with an ebike so not sure if it's the same for washing electronic equipment in general, you have to be rather carful ....
Spoke to the guys at the mill today and they are going to collect the bike. I’m sure it will be far better for people in the Uk now the mill is there rather than dealing with Germany

leocompositing

Sep 14, 2020
Surrey hills
Are you returning the decoy 29 to get a mullet? And they are going to collect? You won't drive there? That would surprise me as all the costumer service stories I read in the forum are all awful.

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
Are you returning the decoy 29 to get a mullet? And they are going to collect? You won't drive there? That would surprise me as all the costumer service stories I read in the forum are all awful.
They have offered to get it collected via courier but they said they may be able to suggest something I can do first. I really don't want to part with the bike as I have literally only just had it. I might just drop it to them as soon as I can to save time and I really don't want to pack the bike back in the box and deal with couriers etc. Its a long way from me but want to get it sorted asap with as little fuss as possible. Ive also heard bad things about customer support but Im hoping having a mill in the UK will change that now. Guess i'll have to wait and see. Id be tempted to change for a mullet but don't think its possible or whether they would have availability. Saving that I think the 29 will be an awesome bike. On the 2 short test rides I did I was loving it and I was always planing on upgrading suspension and slackening it a little.

Jun 26, 2020
Brunei.
Well here is my story. I live in South East Asia and have really wanted a YT Decoy Pro Race Mullet for the last 2 years as I'm a long time YT rider aged 45. As YT would not ship to Asia I approached my LBS. They were only able to get a Decoy 29 Base in my size of of XL. I thought I was size large at 182cm but the XL feels better with the 170mm dropper right down. My plan was to mullet the bike, add the long travel fox to the front and carbon wheels. I rode the base model and was amazed at how much this bike could take on enduro single track as well as medium drops and jumps. I have since fitted a 230mm x 60mm Fox X2 that at a later date I can remove the spacer which will give me 165mm travel on the rear but I don't think I need it. I have also fitted the 160mm Fox 36 E-spec to the front, carbon bars and factory 175mm dropper. This bike climbs really well like a Jeffsy and yeah it doesn't take the corners like a 27.5" bike but it loves going down hill like a Capra. It's all I could get at the time but I love it! The Shimano SLX is very good also. I was a SRAM guy up until now. I'll probably upgrade to XT over time.

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
Well here is my story. I live in South East Asia and have really wanted a YT Decoy Pro Race Mullet for the last 2 years as I'm a long time YT rider aged 45. As YT would not ship to Asia I approached my LBS. They were only able to get a Decoy 29 Base in my size of of XL. I thought I was size large at 182cm but the XL feels better with the 170mm dropper right down. My plan was to mullet the bike, add the long travel fox to the front and carbon wheels. I rode the base model and was amazed at how much this bike could take on enduro single track as well as medium drops and jumps. I have since fitted a 230mm x 60mm Fox X2 that at a later date I can remove the spacer which will give me 165mm travel on the rear but I don't think I need it. I have also fitted the 160mm Fox 36 E-spec to the front, carbon bars and factory 175mm dropper. This bike climbs really well like a Jeffsy and yeah it doesn't take the corners like a 27.5" bike but it loves going down hill like a Capra. It's all I could get at the time but I love it! The Shimano SLX is very good also. I was a SRAM guy up until now. I'll probably upgrade to XT over time.
Same thoughts as me exactly. The bike is very capable and with better suspension will be a weapon I think. Going to put 38 on the front at 160 and either x2 or dhx2 on the back. Set of rental carbon bars and maybe upgrade the hubs and I think it will be good for pretty much anything

Oct 3, 2020
UK
@Craig Anderson ... scanning these forums there is a lot of folk sizing up, I'm 6.2 and square in the middle for an XL, comparing my Radon Swoop 170 (20 inch frame) from 2017 to an XL YT the geometry seems the same over all, but there are folks out there that are 6.0 and like a 480 reach which is quite concerning. They are different bikes, I think the only way to solve my concerns is to sit on an XL and see what it's like tho ....

This is really useful if folk haven't heard of it before - Geometry Geeks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles