Pro Race fox suspension

YT_DAVE88

Feb 9, 2020
Crumlin South Wales
Has anyone else out there had issues with suspension set up? the sag on mine is set correct but out on the trails the bike is so harsh and out of control its actually dangerous. came off on the first ride 10mins after setting off, I adjusted the air pressure and it made a difference but now im smashing pedals and its still bone rattlingly hard. tubeless set up 28psi rear and 25psi front. really considering taking the fox forks off.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
Have you watched any videos about how to set up.

I set mine up today and it feels ok so far.

250 psi in rear and 30% sag on the dpx2 4 clicks if rebound

About 75psi in front but not yet fiddled with rebound.

I weigh 75kg.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I set mine to the recommended Fox psi etc and it was shit.. I meddled around a bit and got it better but then watched this vid and that was pretty much it for me, sorted

YT_DAVE88

Feb 9, 2020
Crumlin South Wales
my riding weight is 230lb, the only way I could get the correct sag on the fork was to run 114psi the rear shock had 260psi before I put the Öhlins TTX on. im running a 548lb spring and its too soft so im gonna try 600lb spring. the handling at the moment is better with the coil shock but there's no grip front or rear and the ride can only be compare to riding a rock garden on a rigid bike. Im really disappointed with this bike, its my 4th YT and probably the worst bike I have ever ridden. clearly that's only because of the current set up, I know this bike will be a weapon once its dialled in so im not giving up. just so frustrating with the amount of money I have spent so far.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
Have you increased the number of bottomless tokens.

For your weight you need to do so.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
This might be your problem then.

The tokens change the ramp up of the travel so you can run less psi without bottoming out.

At the moment you are compensating your weight with psi because you can blow through the travel. Add the tokens to both the rear air shock and front fork. Some guides may be online.

Also remember this is a plush 160mm enduro style bike so using the travel is kind of in its design. Run the flip chip in high and that should make it ride a bit more trail like if that is what you are wanting.

This is why I got the pro. The 3 position rear lock out has a trail mode which means it's less plush when i want to ride trails. If you installed a linear coil shock you might have made your problem worse as a coil doesnt ramp up it will just be super plush until you run out of travel. The X2 on the race is more downhill than trail too but it's more progressive than a coil. Add tokens to get the shock to ramp up and add psi until you can use all the travel but only on big hits. Turn down the rebound so it isn't bouncing you off the saddle.

YT_DAVE88

Feb 9, 2020
Crumlin South Wales
This might be your problem then.

The tokens change the ramp up of the travel so you can run less psi without bottoming out.

At the moment you are compensating your weight with psi because you can blow through the travel. Add the tokens to both the rear air shock and front fork. Some guides may be online.

Also remember this is a plush 160mm enduro style bike so using the travel is kind of in its design. Run the flip chip in high and that should make it ride a bit more trail like if that is what you are wanting.

This is why I got the pro. The 3 position rear lock out has a trail mode which means it's less plush when i want to ride trails. If you installed a linear coil shock you might have made your problem worse as a coil doesnt ramp up it will just be super plush until you run out of travel. The X2 on the race is more downhill than trail too but it's more progressive than a coil. Add tokens to get the shock to ramp up and add psi until you can use all the travel but only on big hits. Turn down the rebound so it isn't bouncing you off the saddle.
It had the X2 as OEM, I like to ride free ride style and some trial because I can use the motor to my advantage for climbing. The first part of the stroke is super hard but coming off small drops and jumps it blows through the travel way to easy. On flat, brake bumpy flow trails the ride is way to hard and I have no control, the front tyre is prone to loose grip in turns and on loose surfaces the rear wheel wants to overtake the front wheel. I have a knocking coming from the fork as well.

HOMIE5000

Feb 23, 2020
Australia
Has anyone else out there had issues with suspension set up? the sag on mine is set correct but out on the trails the bike is so harsh and out of control its actually dangerous. came off on the first ride 10mins after setting off, I adjusted the air pressure and it made a difference but now im smashing pedals and its still bone rattlingly hard. tubeless set up 28psi rear and 25psi front. really considering taking the fox forks off.
Hi Dave .I feel you need to set the suspension up correctly . I think your risking damage to the rear wheel and frame with pack down and harsh bottom out . The energy from harsh bottom has to go somewhere and rims are usually the place it goes sometimes the frame .
I hope you don't mind me offering advice on air suspension as I have many years experience with Fox and RS air forks , fox X2 float and CCDB air on VVP DH and trail bikes . Ill be buying a the Decoy Pro once the AU sight come back online because of the suspension tun ability and performance .
Air shocks and forks have the benefit of tuning progression primarily firming up the mid stroke by using tokens , the token do effect the very very last end of the stroke but primarily they effect the mid stroke / the platform . By using tokens you effects the mid stroke while + - dampening fine tunes the air suspensions behaviour at the beginning and end of the stroke .

I personally feel it's best to set the fork up first , but most importantly the rear shock and rear wheel needs to be protected against damage of incorrect setup while setting up the forks/ bike correctly .

This is how I would set the bike up starting with the addition of token instal .( There are great videos on Youtube to help with the token install to help if you'r un familiar or need a refresher .)

First I would protect the rear shock , add all volume spacers to the rear shock and have all dampening to recommended settings set desired/ factory sag . By doing this you shouldn't bottom the bike out harshly .
Start the fork set up and concentrate on the fork setup , a poorly setup fork is dangerous.
Open the fork up and add a token or if a heavy ridder add two tokens . Inflate fork too desired sag with recommended dampening . Cautiously ride the bike slowly on some dirt or burns and see if you are getting a reasonable amount of support/ platform and the forks are not diving .
Once you feel the forks are offering safe support you will start to push the bike and will start to get a feel for the rear of the bike and be able to start diagnosing what the rear shock is doing.
The rear shock is where you start working back from a starting point ( max bands factory dampening sag ) , If the rear shock feels too progressive to go through the travel , remove a token/ band from the rear shock and this will make the shock more progressive/ blow through its travel .
Once you have. a safe starting point where you and the bike wont get damaged you can then fine tune the suspension with dampening .
Im sorry if Im going over thing you know , and please feel free to ask any question .
All the best .

YT_DAVE88

Feb 9, 2020
Crumlin South Wales
Hi Dave .I feel you need to set the suspension up correctly . I think your risking damage to the rear wheel and frame with pack down and harsh bottom out . The energy from harsh bottom has to go somewhere and rims are usually the place it goes sometimes the frame .
I hope you don't mind me offering advice on air suspension as I have many years experience with Fox and RS air forks , fox X2 float and CCDB air on VVP DH and trail bikes . Ill be buying a the Decoy Pro once the AU sight come back online because of the suspension tun ability and performance .
Air shocks and forks have the benefit of tuning progression primarily firming up the mid stroke by using tokens , the token do effect the very very last end of the stroke but primarily they effect the mid stroke / the platform . By using tokens you effects the mid stroke while + - dampening fine tunes the air suspensions behaviour at the beginning and end of the stroke .

I personally feel it's best to set the fork up first , but most importantly the rear shock and rear wheel needs to be protected against damage of incorrect setup while setting up the forks/ bike correctly .

This is how I would set the bike up starting with the addition of token instal .( There are great videos on Youtube to help with the token install to help if you'r un familiar or need a refresher .)

First I would protect the rear shock , add all volume spacers to the rear shock and have all dampening to recommended settings set desired/ factory sag . By doing this you shouldn't bottom the bike out harshly .
Start the fork set up and concentrate on the fork setup , a poorly setup fork is dangerous.
Open the fork up and add a token or if a heavy ridder add two tokens . Inflate fork too desired sag with recommended dampening . Cautiously ride the bike slowly on some dirt or burns and see if you are getting a reasonable amount of support/ platform and the forks are not diving .
Once you feel the forks are offering safe support you will start to push the bike and will start to get a feel for the rear of the bike and be able to start diagnosing what the rear shock is doing.
The rear shock is where you start working back from a starting point ( max bands factory dampening sag ) , If the rear shock feels too progressive to go through the travel , remove a token/ band from the rear shock and this will make the shock more progressive/ blow through its travel .
Once you have. a safe starting point where you and the bike wont get damaged you can then fine tune the suspension with dampening .
Im sorry if Im going over thing you know , and please feel free to ask any question .
All the best .
Very grateful for the advice and I’m going to go for volume spacer option first. The bike is harsh on smooth trails, jumps and drops are fairly plush but there isn’t enough give in the first part of the stroke to give grip and comfort.

HOMIE5000

Feb 23, 2020
Australia
Very grateful for the advice and I’m going to go for volume spacer option first. The bike is harsh on smooth trails, jumps and drops are fairly plush but there isn’t enough give in the first part of the stroke to give grip and comfort.
I would empty the rear shock of air , re inflate the rear shock from empty .
Remember the correct method and best method of inflation is , add a little air then cycle the shock , add more air and cycle the shock , repeat a few times until desired air volume .
Try this a few times just to make sure positive and negative chambers are well and truly full , and rule out incorrect air inflation if the shock is still and issue

YT_DAVE88

Feb 9, 2020
Crumlin South Wales
I would empty the rear shock of air , re inflate the rear shock from empty .
Remember the correct method and best method of inflation is , add a little air then cycle the shock , add more air and cycle the shock , repeat a few times until desired air volume .
Try this a few times just to make sure positive and negative chambers are well and truly full , and rule out incorrect air inflation if the shock is still and issue
I usually do this as a rule of thumb as a few years ago I damaged a brand new X2 shock by incorrectly adding air pressure. The volume spacer was added today and after a few hours of riding this afternoon it’s made no difference to the harsh ride on fire roads and uneven surfaces. After a few runs on my local trail I decided to not set sag and go by feel to see if it’s a compression and rebound problem. This gave me a little more grip but still the bike felt dangerous. After more than 6 hours riding and changing settings etc I decided to not over think things and try looking at tyre pressure. I went and bought a pressure gauge monitor from Halfords and took the bike back to the trails. As my riding weight is 230lb I felt 28psi rear and 25psi front would be low enough to handle my riding style and terrain etc. Turns out the tyre pump I have been using must of been faulty, I checked the tyre pressures with my new gadget and it was telling me 48psi rear and 45psi front. After scratching my head and double checking I let the pressure out to 28psi all round and reset the fork pressure and settings and started again with a base setting. The bike instantly felt better and started to behave like it should, with a few more laps and adjusting tyre pressure, fork pressure etc I seem to be on the right path. I’m now running the fork on 98psi and tyre pressure 20psi front and 22psi rear. It’s taken a while to figure out but the last run was epic. It’s still going to need fine adjustments here and there but it seems like it was a combination of tyre pressure and needing a token in the fork.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
Lol.

No wonder you had problems. 49psi is like riding on flintstone tyres.

I'm lighter but I have ridden at 15psi and the grip offered was much better. Also that thick casing tyre is also poor for grip.

I'm going cushcore and low pressure for this reason on the back and hope I wont need on the front.

YT_DAVE88

Feb 9, 2020
Crumlin South Wales
Lol.

No wonder you had problems. 49psi is like riding on flintstone tyres.

I'm lighter but I have ridden at 15psi and the grip offered was much better. Also that thick casing tyre is also poor for grip.

I'm going cushcore and low pressure for this reason on the back and hope I wont need on the front.
Cushcore has been ordered now as the tyre pressure has damaged the tubeless valves I decided to get all the wheels checked over and inspected for damage. I have also considered changing the tyres as well. Been looking at the specialized butchers 3.0 rear and 2.8 front.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Cushcore has been ordered now as the tyre pressure has damaged the tubeless valves I decided to get all the wheels checked over and inspected for damage.

Wut? Presta valves are used in road tires at pressures over 120psi. (in the old days lol)

Maherto

Feb 22, 2020
Dublin
Hello all. First post and first e bike. I have a decoy cf pro. I am having issue tuning the rear shock. Reading the above it looks like I need to add a volume spacer as when set the sag correctly I am using nearly full travel on moderate trails. I can not figure out which volume spacer I require as in which type 1/2 or 9mm. Can anyone give me a fox part number for the shock spacers and the fork spacers on the cf pro. Their is just so many types.

YT_DAVE88

Feb 9, 2020
Crumlin South Wales
Hello all. First post and first e bike. I have a decoy cf pro. I am having issue tuning the rear shock. Reading the above it looks like I need to add a volume spacer as when set the sag correctly I am using nearly full travel on moderate trails. I can not figure out which volume spacer I require as in which type 1/2 or 9mm. Can anyone give me a fox part number for the shock spacers and the fork spacers on the cf pro. Their is just so many types.
Definitely worth trying bud, I’m running a coil shock so I have only put a spacer in the fork. Silverfish uk stock them, drop them a email or give them a call. ??

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK

Absolutely nothing wrong with Fox Suspension, the Float X2 wins DH World Championships, the best thing to do is to go to , www.ridefox.com, select the correct header, in this case BIKE, when the page loads you will see the option, "tuning guide", this is the definitive guide to getting the best out of your suspension and your YT Decoy, you bought the flagship Decoy so a little perseverance will be well worth the end result.

YT_DAVE88

Feb 9, 2020
Crumlin South Wales
Absolutely nothing wrong with Fox Suspension, the Float X2 wins DH World Championships, the best thing to do is to go to , www.ridefox.com, select the correct header, in this case BIKE, when the page loads you will see the option, "tuning guide", this is the definitive guide to getting the best out of your suspension and your YT Decoy, you bought the flagship Decoy so a little perseverance will be well worth the end result.
I have persevered endlessly, there’s a volume spacer in the fork now and I have the right spring rate on the rear coil shock. It was a mixture of tyre pressure and the fork having to be set too hard to get correct sag. It’s running as good or even better than my Tues DH bike. Iv since changed the tyres to Michelin E-wild on the rear and a AM wild on the front with cush core installed. The bike is crazy good and I’m more than happy with it.

TX1911fan

Mar 3, 2020
Austin, TX
I was going to say, it sounds like too much pressure in your tires. I have 2.8s on my Levo and I run 18psi in the rear and 16psi in the front. With wide tires you can go with much lower pressures.

YT_DAVE88

Feb 9, 2020
Crumlin South Wales
I was going to say, it sounds like too much pressure in your tires. I have 2.8s on my Levo and I run 18psi in the rear and 16psi in the front. With wide tires you can go with much lower pressures.
I don’t know what is a good starting point with my weight. My riding weight is 230lb, iv stuck with 22psi all round for now but with the Cush core installed thinking of going lower. Any suggestions?

TX1911fan

Mar 3, 2020
Austin, TX
I don’t know what is a good starting point with my weight. My riding weight is 230lb, iv stuck with 22psi all round for now but with the Cush core installed thinking of going lower. Any suggestions?

When I was setting mine, I started at 22 and then went down one or two PSI each ride until it felt good. I knew I was too low when I heard the rim hitting a little hard.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles