PowerFly mullet style?

plu29um

Apr 24, 2019
Denmark
I will be replacing the stock wheels on my 2019 PowerFly LT 9.7 soon and am contemplating setting the bike up in mullet-ish style with a 27.5" rear wheel with 2.8" tire and 29" front wheel with 2.6" tire.
Does anybody have experience with this on the 2019 PowerFly LT 9?
Any thoughts or advises are highly appreciated as well.

Last edited:

averian

Jul 18, 2019
Bay Area, CA
I haven't tried it, but I'm certainly interested in the results. Without measuring or doing any calculations, I'm going to assume the 29" 2.6" is taller than a 27.5" 2.8". So this will change the geometry of the bike and slacken the head tube angle more. If you're running a 160mm fork, you could probably swap air springs to a 150mm and then use the high setting on the mino link flip chip to compensate some.

Martins8

Jul 15, 2019
East Sussex
Hi, I’ve seen someone local to me out riding a 2019 Trek powerfly LT with that set up, but he had upgraded the forks to Fox 36’s. So I would check there is enough clearance under the fork bridge for a 29 inch x2.6 wheel and tyre, before buying one unless you have a setup you can try. Trek might use 29. Inch comparable forks as the wheels & tyres are plus sized. By the way he reckoned he liked the set up although a lot of things are down to personal taste.

plu29um

Apr 24, 2019
Denmark
[...] So this will change the geometry of the bike and slacken the head tube angle more. If you're running a 160mm fork, you could probably swap air springs to a 150mm and then use the high setting on the mino link flip chip to compensate some.

Good point with setting the fork to 150mm. Thank you!
I have already set the mino flip chip in the high position.

plu29um

Apr 24, 2019
Denmark
Hi, I’ve seen someone local to me out riding a 2019 Trek powerfly LT with that set up, but he had upgraded the forks to Fox 36’s. So I would check there is enough clearance under the fork bridge for a 29 inch x2.6 wheel and tyre, before buying one unless you have a setup you can try. Trek might use 29. Inch comparable forks as the wheels & tyres are plus sized. By the way he reckoned he liked the set up although a lot of things are down to personal taste.

Thank you Martins8.
The fork on my PowerFly is a 29'er Yari. I did a quick test in a parking lot with a 2.3" tire and there was plenty of space for a bigger tire. However, I will check later today how much clearance I have with my current 2.8" tire on the 27,5" wheel. If it is more than 30mm, then I could even install a 2.8" tire on the 29" wheel.

Unfortunately the 29" wheel I borrowed for the test had no brake rotor installed, so I couldn't take it out on my local trail to test the setup.

Martins8

Jul 15, 2019
East Sussex
Hi looks like it could be a fairly straight forward conversion if the forks have the clearance , I would be tempted to leave the mino chip in high setting and try it, before altering fork travel. This other guys forks were the same travel as standard he reckoned.

averian

Jul 18, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Definitely good advice to try the new setup before swapping air springs. Trek has been quite flexible in their geometry settings with different setups on this bike, which isn't necessarily a positive. You'll have to dial in what feels best to you.

For example, I believe 2018 was a 150mm travel front fork on the LT and they bumped it up to 160mm for 2019 to make it a bit slacker. The non-LT only uses 130mm front/rear with the exact same frame so both most recent years of the LT are much slacker in comparison. This is reflected pretty clearly in the geometry charts. It's also curious they went with a 29er fork when the newish Rockshox 27.5 forks can fit the 27.5 2.8's they spec on these bikes. Maybe they wanted 51mm offset (29er), but I bet the 46mm offset on the 27.5 would be ideal and with less axle to crown height allowing for more flexibility when it comes to modifying fork travel.

liv2ryd

Feb 15, 2019
Sutton, MA
Here's my 29/27.5 Powerfly. I'm running a 160mm Lyrik /2.5" DHF out front with the stock 150mm out back. This setup is so much better than stock its like riding a trail bike vs a full blown enduro rig. I've done several races so far and this setup holds its own against the best mullet bikes out there. Never going back to stock...

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

plu29um

Apr 24, 2019
Denmark
Here's my 29/27.5 Powerfly. I'm running a 160mm Lyrik /2.5" DHF out front with the stock 150mm out back. This setup is so much better than stock its like riding a trail bike vs a full blown enduro rig. I've done several races so far and this setup holds its own against the best mullet bikes out there. Never going back to stock...

Thank you, @liv2ryd

I have already pulled the trigger and am now waiting for the parts for a new mullet wheelset build to arrive. Rims have arrived and the rear hub should be here in a couple of weeks.

spank-rims.jpg

Last edited:

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I will read this. What tires are you planning to use?
I would go 2 Rekons i just love my 2.8 rear and many use 2.
Fast and good grip.
If you are wondering about pedal strike i went from 175 arms to 165 and love it.

plu29um

Apr 24, 2019
Denmark
Wheels have been built. I took the bike out for 43km test ride and I am super happy with the result.This mullet-ish setup is, along with the completely silent Onyx rear hub, by far the best upgrade I have done to this bike.

My first impressions are, that the bike is more nimble with better control, predictability and cornering abilities.

Of course most of this may come down to just being this Maxxis tire setup being a better choice for my riding style than the stock Bontrager XR4 tires :)

mullet-powerfly.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What's the wheel diameter of the 29er front with that tyre?

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Completely non-scientific from floor to top of the center nob it is ~755mm.
I will double check this to night after work.
Nice picture. I am on 27.5 + i will check if my fork is OK i could just buy a 29 rim for front and probably put a Rekon 2.6. How wide are your rims?

plu29um

Apr 24, 2019
Denmark
Nice picture. I am on 27.5 + i will check if my fork is OK i could just buy a 29 rim for front and probably put a Rekon 2.6. How wide are your rims?

My PowerFly LT 9.7 came with a 29ner Yari fork.

Rims are Spank 395+ with an inner width of 35mm.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
It's not a very agressive tyre, and a strange suggestion for a long-ish travel trail bike. These bikes are usually fitted with tyres such as the Minions.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles