Power bank to use Phone as GPS

JayK

Aug 3, 2018
Belgium
Hi, I'd like to use my iPhone as a gps with a gpx reader but I'm a bit short on battery with screen always on and high luminosity.

Did someone come up with an elegant solution for an additional power bank ?

Thanks,

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use komoot....no network service required and it auto turns the screen off except when giving a direction command. I use the phone with bluetooth earphones. No power pack needed

JayK

Aug 3, 2018
Belgium
I use komoot....no network service required and it auto turns the screen off except when giving a direction command. I use the phone with bluetooth earphones. No power pack needed

Thanks, I'll give it a shoot but the direction command is specifically what I try to avoid. I used a Garmin and It often gives you the direction too late or doesn't even bother when you expect it.

I really love having the map with the track displayed at all time so I can see the direction at a glance.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Me too, the wifes really old iPhone 5S we stuck in a drawer, now recomissioned with Viewranger installed. Lasts a couple of hours no problem and I use an Anker powercore with Power IQ fast charge... to recharge it while I stop for lunch.

DCC84C86-AC74-4245-88CC-9289C932E845.jpeg

Last edited:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I just got an Anker Powerbank.
There are many sizes, but I went for the 13000 mAh version. It is relatively small and not too heavy, but also has the PowerIQ fast charging output option.
To hold it and my phone I use this bag on my toptube. It keeps the phone waterproof and in a safe position for if you bail. Also it is held in place with Velcro, so you can take it off easily when you stop.
I have had problems on realy hot days that the Navigation combined with the charging caused the phone to overheat and shutdown. Not helpfull when yo are navigating through the Alps and have no idea in which direction to go. but I was using Komoot with a permanently turned on display, and listening to music at the same time.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have found the voice commands on komoot timely and pretty accurate. I only consult the map if it tells me I have left the route.

JayK

Aug 3, 2018
Belgium
Maybe it will helps someone so I'll show you what I finally did :

I bought a cheap Anker powercore (14 € on amazon), put an old tube (26' I think) around so it doesn't slip (fit nice and tight) and made 2 cuts to put straps on it.

(y)

IMG_6913.png
IMG_6914.png
IMG_6912.png

ReikoW

Jan 28, 2019
Germany
i really wonder why somebody with an ebike for >5k$ is using an additional power bank ???
why dont you just simply use the motor light output, connect a dcdc converter (hidden in the frame or motor case) with USB/Ligting cable ... thats it
i did that. works and looks great...

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
i really wonder why somebody with an ebike for >5k$ is using an additional power bank ???
why dont you just simply use the motor light output, connect a dcdc converter (hidden in the frame or motor case) with USB/Ligting cable ... thats it
Sounds good! any pics

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have mounted a nice powerfull light on my bike. So it's nice to be able to turn it on or off over the controll. But a nice idea.
The new Bosch kiox displays have a USB output apparently. I have the puron display. It also has a USB port, but only as input, not output. I bought a micro USB cable to micro USB and tried it, but no current.

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
Peak District and Cornwall, UK
Sounds a great idea, do you have details of the dc/dc converter and how you installed it...?

JayK

Aug 3, 2018
Belgium

That's the kind of infos I was looking for but unless you provide more details and pictures, you're just showing off. Where is the cable going when not used ? You're not letting it hang on a 5K$ bike, are you ?

ReikoW

Jan 28, 2019
Germany
hi,

my levo expert 2019 with brose mag s has 2x 12V light outputs (levo 2018 has 6V output).
don't know if other motors have also light outputs.

the light cable only can be bought online, just use google.
i connected it similar as shown in the lupine video on the front light output,
but with this dcdc converter in between. placed underneath the TCU. don't have fotos here, but it is not that difficult

www.amazon.de/dp/B0768D2NYH/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_cGObDbDH98Z8J?tag=pedelecforumde-21

with such dcdc converter you can do even more things: on the rear light i connected this GPS sender, but this does not work underneath the TCU, even with carbon frame. so another place inside the bike must be found... then it works great.
$15.16 (Free Shipping) ZX303 PCBA for GPS GSM LBS Locator (Spring Loaded Style) at m.FastTech.com

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
hi,

my levo expert 2019 with brose mag s has 2x 12V light outputs (levo 2018 has 6V output).

but with this dcdc converter in between. placed underneath the TCU. don't have fotos here, but it is not that difficult

www.amazon.de/dp/B0768D2NYH/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_cGObDbDH98Z8J?tag=pedelecforumde-21

with such dcdc converter you can do even more things: on the rear light i connected this GPS sender, but this does not work underneath the TCU, even with carbon frame. so another place inside the bike must be found... then it works great.
$15.16 (Free Shipping) ZX303 PCBA for GPS GSM LBS Locator (Spring Loaded Style) at m.FastTech.com
Thanks!!! Appreciate it.

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
hi,

Love the video, even though I only understood a few words

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles