"Poverty" 2019 HT discussion thread.

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
So google tells me these are 120mm, what makes them better than the 120mm ones on the Levo? Still learning the basics. :)

I'm going to guess that the Rockshox are.......
- Lighter
- Better in both compression and rebound
- suited to people under 20stone

Even with the preload on fully soft on our HT the forks offer very little smoothness even with me (100kg ish) riding the bike. When the other half rides it they might as well be rigid forks, they offer no real suspension. Other than the forks I am really happy with our Levo HT

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
I presumed the standard front fork was hydraulic like a gas strut as that's what they resemble. So it's a spring inside the form?

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
In very simple terms I think that most forks have different functions in each leg. On most Rockshox one leg is the "Air" side which is effectively a spring (using air pressure) which would be bouncy on its own with no control over the compression / rebound. The other leg is the oil based "damper" which controls the speed / rate of compression and rebound. Air springs allow the pressure to be modified to provide good performance for riders of almost any weight

I think the Suntours on the HT have a coil spring instead of an air spring and the damper side is pretty primitive and effectively fixed to a specific compression / rebound rate. Obviously the coil is also pretty "fixed" in its perfromance against weight.

Some high end forks have coils instead of Air springs (and a lot of people convert to coils) - but these are normally more complicated and more tunable than the ones in the suntours

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
In very simple terms I think that most forks have different functions in each leg. On most Rockshox one leg is the "Air" side which is effectively a spring (using air pressure) which would be bouncy on its own with no control over the compression / rebound. The other leg is the oil based "damper" which controls the speed / rate of compression and rebound. Air springs allow the pressure to be modified to provide good performance for riders of almost any weight

I think the Suntours on the HT have a coil spring instead of an air spring and the damper side is pretty primitive and effectively fixed to a specific compression / rebound rate. Obviously the coil is also pretty "fixed" in its perfromance against weight.

Some high end forks have coils instead of Air springs (and a lot of people convert to coils) - but these are normally more complicated and more tunable than the ones in the suntours

Cheers for the info. Makes sense.

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
On the 2019 Levo FSR the largest chain ring size is 38T. Assuming a 38T also fits the HT, that's 19% faster. Look for a 4 bolt 104 BCD narrow wide 38T chain ring. You will also need to buy chain ring bolts... Turbo Levo Chainring Replacement
Not sure you'll get a 38t on the HT without touching the chainstay. I would stick to a 36t. As for the bolts just use the ones off the original, they're steel. To fit, the ring slides off over the spider so only need to remove pedal. As for getting something behind the bolts for tightening, you don't need to. I just used a dab of super glue to fix the back part on to the ring before fitting to hold in place. They then just self tighten.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
That's interesting because on other threads it was said it couldn't be done on our models, so I will be giving it a try for sure.

I'm glad it's not just me that feels like the brakes have been applied at anything over 15mph (unless going downhill).
I can confirm that it works perfectly on a 2019 HT.

Karsten

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Has anyone tried anything like a suntour sp12 ncx suspension seat post on their HT to take some of the bump out of their bottom?

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
Has anyone tried anything like a suntour sp12 ncx suspension seat post on their HT to take some of the bump out of their bottom?
Imagine it will work, heavy though. I use a dropper post as more needed for trails/downhill. For the bumpy stuff I just run my tires at 15-18psi yet rarely do I sit down unless climbing.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Imagine it will work, heavy though. I use a dropper post as more needed for trails/downhill. For the bumpy stuff I just run my tires at 15-18psi yet rarely do I sit down unless climbing.

Yeah its about 875g apparently. What does the stock tube weigh in at?

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
No good to you I'm afraid, you need a 30.9mm seatpost for the levo. Probably only Cane Creek (thudbuster) will do one that size.

Yep, found out the hard way. No way this fits. Sending back lol

Nice looking bit of kit it was though. Would have been nice if it had fitted.

Last edited:

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Fitted some cheap ebay mudguards. Decided the fake carbon fibre effect looked dire. So flipped them for a plain black effect and then decided to jazz them up with some ebay Specialized transfers. Bit heath Robinson but it'll do until I find some mudguards I like.

IMG_20190630_221357.jpg IMG_20190630_221402.jpg

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
No good to you I'm afraid, you need a 30.9mm seatpost for the levo. Probably only Cane Creek (thudbuster) will do one that size.

Would a 27.2 suntour suspension seat post plus a shim from 27.2 to 30.9 work?

Oh and not be shit?

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
You could do that, bit of a hassle if you want to adjust seat height on the fly. With all that gear on your bike you must be up to about 30kg odd, lol ?

I just presumed the insert would just drop in and then the post would go in as normal. Does sound like it might be a bit of a pain and heavy. Apparently there is a genuine 30.9 post, but its top dolla, and generally seems to only be available in places like Germany lol

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
I just presumed the insert would just drop in and then the post would go in as normal. Does sound like it might be a bit of a pain and heavy. Apparently there is a genuine 30.9 post, but its top dolla, and generally seems to only be available in places like Germany lol
Just get a brand X dropper post from wiggle, they're £99 and you'll find it handier than a suss post. Nothing worse than having your seat stuck at one height.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Just get a brand X dropper post from wiggle, they're £99 and you'll find it handier than a suss post. Nothing worse than having your seat stuck at one height.

Absolutely no need for a dropper for me. I sit on saddle and ride. If I stand up on pedals the seat is well below me (long legs).

Madk higgins

Jun 5, 2019
London
Any good for Levo HT?

INNO Multi Fork bike carrier, no. INA392.

Wondering if i'd be able to lift my Levo HT onto a car roof with the front wheel and the battery off? Anyone weighed a Levo HT with the front wheel off and the battery out? Gotta be a lot less than the 23kg limit of that carrier?

I guess it will be under 23kg (although as we previously mentioned the front wheel weighs about 2 grams?), but I wouldn't want to do it as very awkward to lift, but some cars have a higher roof than others. I have no issues carrying my bike through the house, but I wouldn't want to carefully position it on a roof rack. I found it awkward putting it in my estate without the front wheel on.

I did consider getting a tow bar fitted and buying a cycle carrier to fit on it, but a lot expense and because I'm only cycling in my local woods it's not worth it, and when I do venture out further I will just put it in my car with the front wheel off.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
I guess it will be under 23kg (although as we previously mentioned the front wheel weighs about 2 grams?), but I wouldn't want to do it as very awkward to lift, but some cars have a higher roof than others. I have no issues carrying my bike through the house, but I wouldn't want to carefully position it on a roof rack. I found it awkward putting it in my estate without the front wheel on.

I did consider getting a tow bar fitted and buying a cycle carrier to fit on it, but a lot expense and because I'm only cycling in my local woods it's not worth it, and when I do venture out further I will just put it in my car with the front wheel off.

I've humped regular mtbs onto the roof of my Renault Zoe. Can't fit a tow bar its not rated for one. I currently put the bike in the back but it renders the car a 2 seater then. So recently we've been taking 2 cars when we go anywhere with bikes. If I could stick Levo on roof then the whole family could go out (sons bike goes up there now). Missus usually walks and our youngests bike fits in the boot as she's only 5.

Its quite frustrating as I want to take the bikes more places. Changing car is an option, but I want to stick with EV (5 years and no way i'm going back to ICE for daily driver if I can avoid it now). No affordable EVs on the market that take a towbar.

Plus I want to buy a camper before the kids are too big to enjoy it. I'll get a rear door carrier then and life will be good on the weekend.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Its quite frustrating as I want to take the bikes more places. Changing car is an option, but I want to stick with EV (5 years and no way i'm going back to ICE for daily driver if I can avoid it now). No affordable EVs on the market that take a towbar.

Not sure if these are any use to you. One states as ok for ebikes. Both have about a 40kg limit, so 1 ebike and 1 normal bike.

Bicycle carrier for Renault ZOE - Paulchen Heckträger System | Fahrradträger

Bike Racks for Renault

Reading in the Zoe forums they mention the need to use hatch huggers with the second one, but the description on the site seems to have been updated to reflect the requirement since.

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
Any good for Levo HT?

INNO Multi Fork bike carrier, no. INA392.

Wondering if i'd be able to lift my Levo HT onto a car roof with the front wheel and the battery off? Anyone weighed a Levo HT with the front wheel off and the battery out? Gotta be a lot less than the 23kg limit of that carrier?

I use one of these for our HT..... When the battery is removed the bike is incredibly secure because the arm extends "into" the frame where the battery was.

Atera GIRO AF+ aluminium bike carrier no. AR2227.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Not sure if these are any use to you. One states as ok for ebikes. Both have about a 40kg limit, so 1 ebike and 1 normal bike.

Bicycle carrier for Renault ZOE - Paulchen Heckträger System | Fahrradträger

Bike Racks for Renault

Reading in the Zoe forums they mention the need to use hatch huggers with the second one, but the description on the site seems to have been updated to reflect the requirement since.

What concerns me about that carrier is it loops over the top of bootlid spoiler. It's only thin plastic. Those on speakev that swear by them don't seem to appreciate what little strength is in that section of bootlid. You could literally twist it off by hand.

Wish there was a tow hook option. Would make my life so much easier.

Gonna try fling my battery out and front wheel off and see how far I can lift bike above my head. Need about 30 seconds of air time I'd think to safely lift it into place.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
More money than sense moment. Really liked the look of the suntour suspension seat post. Found out a firm called TMARS make a similar one, less travel, but also lighter. Got the last one on amazon. Cheaper from other sources but I'm away on hols in a day or two so wanted quick delivery.

So only 20mm of travel, looks like more, feels like a comfy cushion when on bumpy grass. Will try later in more rutted tracks when kids asleep. IMG_20190703_191434.jpg
Stealthy enough looking when it's got its cover in and disguised more by my el cheapo saddle bag.
IMG_20190703_191333.jpg

It's fairly similar design and quite well damped.

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
I've just fitted the RockShox Sektors from my Levo FSR onto the other halfs Levo HT......

WOW - What a difference!!!!!!!

The Sektors must be at least 1.5kg lighter than the Suntours, and the ride quality is so much more improved. The front end has been lifted by approx 15-20mm which has probably changed the geometry a little, but the bike is massively nicer to ride.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
I've just fitted the RockShox Sektors from my Levo FSR onto the other halfs Levo HT......

WOW - What a difference!!!!!!!

The Sektors must be at least 1.5kg lighter than the Suntours, and the ride quality is so much more improved. The front end has been lifted by approx 15-20mm which has probably changed the geometry a little, but the bike is massively nicer to ride.

How much did that cost?

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Well I've been out for a good bumpy ride and I can say 20mm of seat travel makes a much softer ride on a Levo HT. So much so that I went really quick on some lumpy bits where I wouldn't normally and I caught the front wheel in a rather vicious pot hole on a semi-unmade road and just a lovely bump out of my seat, which although scary didn't hurt. Pretty sure I've slightly bent the front wheel. Are the Rovals covered for berk damage under warranty?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles