"Poverty" 2019 HT discussion thread.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Seeing as most of the Levo topics are specifically for FSR models I thought I'd introduce a topic for us "poverty" owners. (I don't think £2250 or there about is poverty but when you compare it to the £4k plus mods owners It really is lol).

So lets get some discussion going?

What mods have you carried out, bare in mind this is poverty central...... I've fitted some new handbar grips with big palm grips for my medium large hands to take some strain of my wrists (broken one wrist and other arm in my youth).

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
I also purchased a Garmin 520 plus on Fathers day as there was an extra 10% making Halfords the cheapest place to buy new. Came with the out front mount though, which looks odd on the Levo I thought so I ordered a budget step top cap from ebay (should arrive today so looking forward to fitting).

I also have a small saddle bag for basic tools. Will likely fit some small basic mud guards but like the clean look.

Finally I snapped by Blevo while I had some free Android app store credit. I like supporting cottage app development for products. I hadn't realised I could actually use it to up my speed support, will be tinkering with that tonight. I'll be giggling like a school girls if I can get assistance up to 20+mph (which is my own upper cruising speed anyway but I soon buckle keeping the power going).

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
My original purchase was a Levo HT Womens version for the other half to use at weeknds etc and for me to commute on. two weeks later I purchased an FSR for myself (That was an expensive month!).

So far we've done very little to hers. Later this week it goes in for the handlebar remote to be fitted, and then the only plan is to swap the forks as the standard Suntours don't work at all for her (even with min preload they are way to hard for her weight).

I'm initially going to try the Sektors off my FSR as I have some Revelations, but I'm a little concerned with the impact of moving from 120mm to 150mm although on a quick and basic measurement it looks to only increase the overall front height by approx 10-15mm

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Fitted some more ergonomic (for me) grips. Large palm area saves my wrists a bit and when I'm going for it on a short road section I can grab the alloy grips at the sides.

Maybe not the prettiest, but do the job, low cost ebay items and 2 mins to swap back to the original specialized grips. IMG_20190624_205736.jpg

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Also fitted a stem mount for my garmin. £3.99 from ebay. Decent secure fit to garmin but a smidge loose so u added some strips of electrical tape to upper face of mount to put a little grip force into back of garmin.

Went out on a bumpy ride and it was secure.

Also fitted a little bike light. Allegedly 600lumens. 2 small leds. Says they are xlm t6, not sure myself but even if they are the battery is small so wont last much over 1 1/2 hours on a charge. Pretty bright though and can be removed in seconds. IMG_20190625_221833.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Fitted some more ergonomic (for me) grips. Large palm area saves my wrists a bit and when I'm going for it on a short road section I can grab the alloy grips at the sides.

Maybe not the prettiest, but do the job, low cost ebay items and 2 mins to swap back to the original specialized grips. View attachment 15344

I used to have similar grips with the bar ends, by Ergon. They do the job they are meant to do very well indeed, but once I started to ride singletrack in the woods, the bar ends had to go! They kept snagging on the shrubbery and yanking me off the bike. :eek:

To swap them back just for the road trips was never considered. Once I had discovered off-road, there was no going back. I do it, but I am not at all keen to bike on the road.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
I used to have similar grips with the bar ends, by Ergon. They do the job they are meant to do very well indeed, but once I started to ride singletrack in the woods, the bar ends had to go! They kept snagging on the shrubbery and yanking me off the bike. :eek:

To swap them back just for the road trips was never considered. Once I had discovered off-road, there was no going back. I do it, but I am not at all keen to bike on the road.

Good point that I got stuck on a metal gate yesterday just leading it through lol. They may not last long. Shame as they put me into a more comfortable position when on road sections.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland

I don't like road either, just want off ASAP hence I nail it. First time I snag those grips on a trail though and I bet I change them lol

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
Seeing as most of the Levo topics are specifically for FSR models I thought I'd introduce a topic for us "poverty" owners. (I don't think £2250 or there about is poverty but when you compare it to the £4k plus mods owners It really is lol).

So lets get some discussion going?

What mods have you carried out, bare in mind this is poverty central...... I've fitted some new handbar grips with big palm grips for my medium large hands to take some strain of my wrists (broken one wrist and other arm in my youth).

In the US we can’t even get a HT Levo :(

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
Sandy... You want to know changes to a Levo HT, here are mine...
- Rock shox Judy gold forks
- Slx brakes
- Zee derailleur/shifter
- Maxxis DHF/Aggressor tires
- Ascend dropper post
- Hope 34T chainring
- DMR Brendog grips
- DMR defy stem
- Nukeproof neutron pedals
- KMZ X10 chain

If specialized sold frames only with motor and battery, I'd be a happy person lol.
I've mentioned before I got my bike for £1619. I think Freeborn in Horsham are still selling them at that price (listed online at £1899) if you ask (Joe) nicely.

Won't deny that she's a bumpy ride on the rooty steep stuff but I couldn't spend an extra £2000 just to get a rear shock. Maybe in the future I'll upgrade but not until the weight comes down. HT or FSR, I don't think you can beat a Specialized for quality.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Sandy... You want to know changes to a Levo HT, here are mine...
- Rock shox Judy gold forks
- Slx brakes
- Zee derailleur/shifter
- Maxxis DHF/Aggressor tires
- Ascend dropper post
- Hope 34T chainring
- DMR Brendog grips
- DMR defy stem
- Nukeproof neutron pedals
- KMZ X10 chain

If specialized sold frames only with motor and battery, I'd be a happy person lol.
I've mentioned before I got my bike for £1619. I think Freeborn in Horsham are still selling them at that price (listed online at £1899) if you ask (Joe) nicely.

Won't deny that she's a bumpy ride on the rooty steep stuff but I couldn't spend an extra £2000 just to get a rear shock. Maybe in the future I'll upgrade but not until the weight comes down. HT or FSR, I don't think you can beat a Specialized for quality.

I was looking at Halfords Voodoo HT so glad I used my brain and checked a local bike shop to compare a Levo HT. Cost a little more, barely anything to mention but wow I love my Levo. Relatively stealthy doesn't should look I'm electric and really expensive.

Madk higgins

Jun 5, 2019
London
I also purchased a Garmin 520 plus on Fathers day as there was an extra 10% making Halfords the cheapest place to buy new. Came with the out front mount though, which looks odd on the Levo I thought so I ordered a budget step top cap from ebay (should arrive today so looking forward to fitting).

I also have a small saddle bag for basic tools. Will likely fit some small basic mud guards but like the clean look.

Finally I snapped by Blevo while I had some free Android app store credit. I like supporting cottage app development for products. I hadn't realised I could actually use it to up my speed support, will be tinkering with that tonight. I'll be giggling like a school girls if I can get assistance up to 20+mph (which is my own upper cruising speed anyway but I soon buckle keeping the power going).

Sandy, I don't think the Blevo will allow you to change the speed/wheel diameter on our nevo 2019 HTs (both made in 2018). If you have any joy increasing the speed please let me know as I would be happy to have 20mph (a little more would be even better).

Been out on mine quite a bit in my local woods and I'm really enjoying it, despite what I do being boring to most emtb riders (as long as I'm happy?).

Sorry for going off topic, but I haven't done anything to my HT levo as yet.

Last edited:

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
Sandy, I don't think the Blevo will allow you to change the speed/wheel diameter on our nevo 2019 HTs (both made in 2018). If you have any joy increasing the speed please let me know as I would be happy to have 20mph (a little more would be even better).

Been out on mine quite a bit in my local woods and I'm really enjoying it, despite what I do being boring to most emtb riders (as long as I'm happy?).

You can up the assist on a 2018 build with either BLEvo or light blue app. BLEvo has about 3 different settings, light blue let's you go straight to 16" wheel.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland

Blevo does indeed let you change the top speed. I upped mine to 20mph in blevo. You save then turn off bike and turn back on again. Quit Blevo and check Mission Control and sure enough the wheel size had dropped. Took it for a ride and indeed it was assisting over 15mph. You don't get that power.... power.....power.... boom.... no power! effect that you get with the 15mph restriction. I don't think you get the same level of boost up to 20mph, but the bike doesn't try to stop you accelerating over 15mph like it does normally. Its a real tug of war getting Levo over 15mph with restriction.

At the end of my ride I had only used a couple of % more battery than I usually would but the experience was much better. Set it back to 15.5mph now. If I used it for too long I'd never want to switch back.

Madk higgins

Jun 5, 2019
London
Blevo does indeed let you change the top speed. I upped mine to 20mph in blevo. You save then turn off bike and turn back on again. Quit Blevo and check Mission Control and sure enough the wheel size had dropped. Took it for a ride and indeed it was assisting over 15mph. You don't get that power.... power.....power.... boom.... no power! effect that you get with the 15mph restriction. I don't think you get the same level of boost up to 20mph, but the bike doesn't try to stop you accelerating over 15mph like it does normally. Its a real tug of war getting Levo over 15mph with restriction.

At the end of my ride I had only used a couple of % more battery than I usually would but the experience was much better. Set it back to 15.5mph now. If I used it for too long I'd never want to switch back.

That's interesting because on other threads it was said it couldn't be done on our models, so I will be giving it a try for sure.

I'm glad it's not just me that feels like the brakes have been applied at anything over 15mph (unless going downhill).

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
My original purchase was a Levo HT Womens version for the other half to use at weeknds etc and for me to commute on. two weeks later I purchased an FSR for myself (That was an expensive month!).

So far we've done very little to hers. Later this week it goes in for the handlebar remote to be fitted, and then the only plan is to swap the forks as the standard Suntours don't work at all for her (even with min preload they are way to hard for her weight).

I'm initially going to try the Sektors off my FSR as I have some Revelations, but I'm a little concerned with the impact of moving from 120mm to 150mm although on a quick and basic measurement it looks to only increase the overall front height by approx 10-15mm
Yeah you got to remove those horrible XCR forks, they weigh 3.5kg too. The ones that came with my bike were actually 150mm so just check that. Therefore you likely aren't raising the front at all if that's the case. I've only got a 120mm rockshox on mine but will change to a 140mm Suntour Aion.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
That's interesting because on other threads it was said it couldn't be done on our models, so I will be giving it a try for sure.

If you read through the blevo thread it will mention which software update on the bike is compatible with it. You can use the free light blue ap to discover what software is on your bike. Or you can just spend the 8 bucks on blevo and see if it works.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
If you read through the blevo thread it will mention which software update on the bike is compatible with it. You can use the free light blue ap to discover what software is on your bike. Or you can just spend the 8 bucks on blevo and see if it works.

I think part of the issue is the levo comes in HT and FSR, most folk seem to have the FSR. But the two bikes are a lot more different than solid rear.

So if you have a HT model, good news you can up your speed limit (if that's what you want).

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland

I'm glad it's not just me that feels like the brakes have been applied at anything over 15mph (unless going downhill).

Aye you really are puffing to get it much beyond 15mph and then it seems easier again.

Madk higgins

Jun 5, 2019
London

It's £8.99 in the UK (still worth it). I already had it but didn't even bother trying it as I was assured it wouldn't work. Just tried it and as Sandy says it works fine. Not sure why I adjusted the wheel size as well as the speed as I don't think it was necessary, although it only goes down to 2100. Does anyone know what the actual factory setting for the wheel size so I can put it back to what it should be?

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
With BLEvo you don't change the the wheel size, just the speed. This probably why people are saying they don't feel much assist. Keep the BLEvo setting at 2300 which is 29" but change the speed to 50kph. Turn off app and bike, turn back on, open up MC app and it will then show a wheel size of 1150. Should get you 30mph of assist... Or you can just use light blue if you want 40mph. Law needs to change when we leave the EU... I writing to Boris!

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
It's £8.99 in the UK (still worth it). I already had it but didn't even bother trying it as I was assured it wouldn't work. Just tried it and as Sandy says it works fine. Not sure why I adjusted the wheel size as well as the speed as I don't think it was necessary, although it only goes down to 2100. Does anyone know what the actual factory setting for the wheel size so I can put it back to what it should be?

Blevo is currently £8.49. But if your luck, like me, you might get a google credit which can be used against games or apps. Dropped the price to £6.49, which made it a no brainer for me.

ignore wheel size, just set the speed to 15.5mph in Blevo. Then save, shut down bike and restart it and you'll see the correct wheels size is back in Mission Control.

Madk higgins

Jun 5, 2019
London
Aye you really are puffing to get it much beyond 15mph and then it seems easier again.

I only just went around the local quiet roads just to test it for a few miles, and it definitely works thanks.

My main reason for wanting the extra speed beyond 15mph is more for cycling to and from my local woods as it can be hard work on the main roads trying to go beyond that especially where it's slightly uphill (well it's hard for me not having been on a bike for many years?). I guess that's the price to pay for an emtb, and I'm not sure of the benefits of having an electric bike just for road use, unless you are very fit or you are happy not going beyond 15mph.

I don't tend to go beyond 15mph in the woods as apart from the fact I'm a wuss, there are people walking their dogs and even 15mph can be risky in many places with such limited sighting time. Yesterday a couple of blokes must have been bombing down the biggest hill at 30mph or so and thank god no one was around a bend walking their little dog as that would have been nasty. I'm just hoping no one will get badly injured or even worse, then on a selfish point cycling will be banned in the woods. That's my moan of the day!

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
You need a 34 or 36T on the front Sandy?
Can't believe only 3 people on this forum have a Levo HT. Bike shops obviously saw the rest coming a mile away lol.

They saw me coming..... Purchased a Levo HT Womens for the other half and then 2 weeks later an FSR for me!

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
So google tells me these are 120mm, what makes them better than the 120mm ones on the Levo? Still learning the basics. :)
They are air forks so you can adjust to your weight and riding needs. They are servicable and they weigh half as much. The Suntour ones that came with the bike are just coil (spring) and have no adjustment.

If you want to shop around you need 29" boost fork. 15mm x 110mm. Probably stick to 120-140mm travel.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles