Post Up your Decoy Upgrades with Reviews

Casper007

Apr 26, 2020
New Zealand
I had the first decent ride on my 2019 Decoy Base today and loved it. I’ve made the following upgrades...

1. Fox Float 36 Performance Elite Grip2 fork
2. Fox Float DPX2 Performance Elite shock
3. OneUp 800mm bars
4. OneUp 35mm stem + EDC tool
5. OneUp dropper lever
6. OneUp composite pedals
7. XTR shifter

0622A7E3-2D0D-489F-BDFE-19268D551708.png

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I had the first decent ride on my 2019 Decoy Base today and loved it. I’ve made the following upgrades...

1. Fox Float 36 Performance Elite Grip2 fork
2. Fox Float DPX2 Performance Elite shock
3. OneUp 800mm bars
4. OneUp 35mm stem + EDC tool
5. OneUp dropper lever
6. OneUp composite pedals
7. XTR shifter

View attachment 32594
Might as well got the 2019 CF Pro as it comes with those fork and shock as standard?

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Replaced the renthal bar with a Santa Di2 bar....no more cables....

View attachment 32786

View attachment 32787
That clean look is soooo good. I hooe we see more options with bars like this. One thing i cant quite understand is the tiny little electrical cables with minimal protection for them. I dont think a little added weight for protection would hurt anyone.
Also the headtubes on the decoy are relatively short and i generally ride all my bikes with the bar the same height as my dh bike. Dh bike has 20mm rise so i like a 40mm on my single crown bikes, plus spacers to compensate for the short steerer tube.
Its all coming, along with gearboxes.......

Sand0kan

Dec 12, 2019
Netherlands
That clean look is soooo good. I hooe we see more options with bars like this. One thing i cant quite understand is the tiny little electrical cables with minimal protection for them. I dont think a little added weight for protection would hurt anyone.
Also the headtubes on the decoy are relatively short and i generally ride all my bikes with the bar the same height as my dh bike. Dh bike has 20mm rise so i like a 40mm on my single crown bikes, plus spacers to compensate for the short steerer tube.
Its all coming, along with gearboxes.......

Yeah it was a pain to find a specific carbon Di2 bar. This is the only one i could find. It is only 20mm rise though.....well for me it is a perfect fit.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Yeah it was a pain to find a specific carbon Di2 bar. This is the only one i could find. It is only 20mm rise though.....well for me it is a perfect fit.
Totally personal preference thing. Wish it was my preference. Looks great

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Where do you guys find suitable adapter to get 220 mm rotors to the Code R brakes?
Mine are sram adapters. The bike/fork are 180mounts so they came with 20mm adapters for the stock 200mm rotors. I switched out the sram 20mm adapters that came on my decoy for 40mm adapters for the 220. Im guessing they should be readily available , if not at the lbs the disttibutor should have them

vertzonaatio

Jun 3, 2020
Finland
Mine are sram adapters. The bike/fork are 180mounts so they came with 20mm adapters for the stock 200mm rotors. I switched out the sram 20mm adapters that came on my decoy for 40mm adapters for the 220. Im guessing they should be readily available , if not at the lbs the disttibutor should have them

Couldn't find SRAM's own adapters from anywhere. Went with Magura 40mm post mount. Someone had photos of it fitting perfectly with code r.

Sorinok

May 24, 2019
Romania
I have Magura disc 220 on fron with magura adaptor 40mm. On back i have Magura Disc 203mm with Shimano adaptor 203mm. My brakes are Sram CODE R with Trickstuff pads.

IMG_20200209_144643.jpg

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Well, finally got my 2021 fox 38 I was wanting. But I ended up putting it on my Enduro instead. Now my decoy will get the takeoff lyrik. Trying to decide if I should leave it at 170, or swap the airspring to 160 for the decoy 29.
192320F2-40B8-448A-AD18-2B5736F31CF3.jpeg

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Update on
My XXL decoy base is upgraded or changed with:
* Specialized Power Comp sadel (one of the few that i really can spend some time on)
* Renthal Fatbar carbon 35mm Riser stuur 35.0x800mm 40mm-Rise
* Debonair upgrade kit Lyrik (170mm) + Charger 2.1 RC2
* Mashguard plus Mudguard (1-front, 2 rear to protect frame from pebbles crushing in the swingarm.
* Michelin 2.8 E-wild (back)
* esi grips
* Basil Integrated battery cover
* Crankbrothers Mallet E Enduro
* Leyzne Macro drive 1000 (enough light for me)

Added the newer Rockshox Debonair 2021 to my 170mm. Rides indeed higher, really noticable. Not overly harsh for me with the same two spacers as before. Dropped the pressure by 10psi. Not had a real day out, but hopefully soon in the alps, if all the bastards keep distance so we wont end up in a lockdown again.....

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I've put my SRAM Eagle AXS on my 2019 Decoy base. You will need to order the 2020 Decoy Mech hanger in order for it to fit though. I also got an XD free hub and SRAM Eagle chainring. Kept it the same size as the stock Shimano ring so didn't need to faff with the chain guide.
Just purchased 2021 Decoy Elite, hoping it arrives before end of year. Running Sram AXS on my Levo S-Works and two clockwork bikes, thinking about upgrading new Decoy to AXS. Did you have upgrade cassette and cranks too?

ebnash

Aug 16, 2020
Los Gatos, CA
On my 2021 Decoy Pro 29

1. Santa Cruz Carbon Riser Bar - 800mm with 20mm rise (I love these bars and they are on all my MTB's)
2. I9 32mm Blue Stem (Chose this stem because it was what was available in blue and the length I wanted)
3. PNW Loam Lever for Dropper (Smooth as warm butter)
4. ANVL Forge Seat (Chose this seat because I own a Trransition Sentinel that came with one of these and I love it. Fits me perfectly)
5. Hope F20 Pedals in Blue (Chose these because I wanted blue pedals to match stem and these had very favorable reviews. I admit that the grip is amazing and still allows for position corrections when needed. Running Five Ten Free Rider shoes)
6. Swapped to Tubeless before riding (All my bikes are on tubeless. Can't see any reason to run tubes anymore, even on road bikes)
7. Installed new Air Spring to increase travel to 160mm (Wanted to match front travel with my Sentinel. Still working out Air Pressure and Token Stacks along with tuning, but I love this fork)
8. PNW Loam Grips (These are nice. Only changed grips because the ones that came with bike were a little harder than I prefer)
8a. Update on the PNW Loam Grips. These are decent enough grips when wearing gloves, but I forgot my gloves this morning and may hands are trashed after 30 miles of riding pretty flat roads on the way in to work. I really can't recommend these grips. They suck without gloves.

To do...
When tires need changing, I will wither upgrade to Assegai's or Eddy Currents for stiffer sidewalls. No problems with current tires (DHR's) as I run them on my Sentinel, but I'm ready to try something new...

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I have a works components -1 degree headset waiting to go in. That may have the fork crown clear the frame in a crash or very close. Im trying to track down a reverse components -,5 race and that will dial any ussue in. If anyone finds onwe of these let me know where you found it. Cheap , ez , effective and light

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Back in action!! Added my new warrantee motor and put on my saint brakes(220f/203r avid rotors) and swapped out the rear ewild to a rockr2(gapped and put it on backwards oh well ill kill it in the bike park soon enough anyway). Rockr2 2.35 is michelins best tire evaaaarrr and theyve discontinued it. It measures like a 2.45 maxxis would and chainreaction still has stock. Id recommend people buy them up and message michelin on social media that you did and theyre making a mistake, a big mistake. They prob won't listen as they have shitmano ears ,and operate in a bubble,but worth a try.
Also props to yt north america, in particular Shaun in Cali, for stepping in and making a call to shitmano to get me another bic pen of motors. I appreciate his common sense and straightforward approach.I really hope yt can get a ytmill/demo/service centre in canada. Wish theyd go bosch too but that might be dreaming. Ill continue to send friends to buy their acoustic bikes but the friends ive sent to cube for a good bosch cx equipped bike are stoked. Ex nat champ moto trials bud bought 2 for him and the boy and theyre back on a mtb/emtb and super pumped despite having fancy new mototrials and enduro bikes.

20200924_162352.jpg

20200924_162335.jpg

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
UPDATE:
1) Debonair Upgrade is so worth it on the YARI - Everyone needs to do this if you have the Base model.
2) Custom Decoy Ridewrap installed- Takes a while and I didn't do the best job but at least the Decoy is protected
3) New SQLab 12deg Bar and Chromag stem installed - First ride today and the first time every that my bad wrist did not go numb!!! Win.
4) Fox Float X2 installed and had 3 rides on it.. what a difference... (Also have the flip chip in High Setting) No more pedal strikes and bottom outs.. Feels like a DH bike on the steeps now.

Pics from my ride today.
About ride wrap.
How did they handle the weld bumps in seat and chain stays? I can't really tell by the pics and RideWrap seems to be ignoring my info requests.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Season is winding down and looking like the the days are numbered. Pow days soon. Until then having a blast riding all the wet rooty xc trails the reverse of how i normally ride them. Slow tech climbs double the time in certain trails and saw zero people all last week on those trails . The coil rear shock and extra travel on the fork really help find that traction at slow speeds. Snow reinforced that. My newish cane creek db coil needs a rebuild though

20201016_182012.jpg

20201016_173833.jpg

20201016_182026.jpg

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Just wet here right now. The best upgrade I got for my bike this year was definitely Cush Core. The lower PSI and enhancements to suspension with Cush Core really help in the wet.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Just wet here right now. The best upgrade I got for my bike this year was definitely Cush Core. The lower PSI and enhancements to suspension with Cush Core really help in the wet.
I bet. Nukeproof ard liner has saved my rims and tires but its not very compliant. I have a tannus armour "tubeless" liner in my enduro bike. That feels, and sounds, much better. Also have a vittoria air liner waiting to go in. I think i like the design of the tannus the best so far , just looking at it and mounting it . Cool design but i've yet to try cush core. Im without liners atm and milking old tires atm to just get through the season. Missing them on the slick conditions as im havong to run a bit more psi

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I bet. Nukeproof ard liner has saved my rims and tires but its not very compliant. I have a tannus armour "tubeless" liner in my enduro bike. That feels, and sounds, much better. Also have a vittoria air liner waiting to go in. I think i like the design of the tannus the best so far , just looking at it and mounting it . Cool design but i've yet to try cush core. Im without liners atm and milking old tires atm to just get through the season. Missing them on the slick conditions as im havong to run a bit more psi
Various reports on here and elsewhere of all the different liners. Glad you’ve tried a few. They are definitely worth checking out - more so on a heavier ebike I’d imagine. I’ve only tried Cush Core though - but I’m never riding “naked” again ?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Various reports on here and elsewhere of all the different liners. Glad you’ve tried a few. They are definitely worth checking out - more so on a heavier ebike I’d imagine. I’ve only tried Cush Core though - but I’m never riding “naked” again ?
Good plan!!

His_Turdness

Nov 12, 2020
Finland
Bought mine used, so it came with some upgrades:
- Magura MT7 brakes, 223mm discs front and back, if I'm not mistaken – these brakes are awesome, much better than the brakes on other ebikes I've tested
- Lyrik Ultimate 170mm in the front – probably too fancy for me, not sure, at least it should be enough for my rides
- pedals, shiny golden, not sure what brand – seem to be working well and taking the many hits well (still learning the pedaling tempo here)
- grips are upgraded, I think – they match the lava red colour of my bike pretty well, I'm accustomed to a bit fatter grips, but no issues with these grips

What I had to buy after the first proper test ride:
- front flap mudguard – still amazes me how a little flap can prevent so much splatter, highly recommended!
- short rear mudguard (mucky nutz mugguard, just installed it to the back) – some rocks, sticks and sand can cause some noise because this isn't super securely installed with zip ties, I used the velcro tape that came with the fender, it's amazing how much splatter this blocks, highly recommended!
- ass saver (lost this one during my first long ride, but seems like it's not 100% needed after all) – I though it could handle a little down hill or rougher trails, I guess I was wrong, but it was only 7 euros so whateva

Still need to buy a proper head lamp to be able to drive in pitch black, and maybe spike tires for riding on ice & snow. I will be replacing the rear shock once it breaks. Hopefully not very soon. :D

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
- short rear mudguard (mucky nutz mugguard, just installed it to the back) – some rocks, sticks and sand can cause some noise because this isn't super securely installed with zip ties, I used the velcro tape that came with the fender, it's amazing how much splatter this blocks, highly recommended!
Can you share a link for the one that fits the Decoy?

His_Turdness

Nov 12, 2020
Finland
Sure thing. I think THIS is the one I got. One thing to note is that I did have to make 2 holes for the velcro straps for the fender to fit properly. It's not very difficult to do, but you should really measure it carefully before cutting.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles