Post Up your Decoy Upgrades with Reviews

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Shimano Zees.
Need to shorted the shifter cable and the dropper cable housing. Thing is a mess right now. But will do that once I get my new fork. Until then, it will just be spaghetti.
02322767-D67F-4F9D-8029-DDDEC36E3780.jpeg

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Got the bottle today. Only took 2 days to get here. Impressed. Definitely tight in there. I think i have to make the screw slots a touch longer if im going to get a coil in there. Order a quiver of hip packs and i think ill get a one up edc tool for my steerer. Still have to find a spot for my mini pump. The bottle took the pumps spot. I have c02 but i dont fully trust those and im cheap so id like to use a pump before i get to a c02

Sorinok

May 24, 2019
Romania
My Upgrades:

1. Fork- Rock Shox Lyric RC2- upgrade to 180mm- the bike its more plush, The BB is now with 1.4cm higher
2. Brake:- Magura Rotor 220mm Front/203mm back
-Trickstuff pads for Sram Code R- now i have more power with this pads and rotor disc
3. Handlebar: SixPack Milenium -800mm- I like wider bars
4. Rear Shock: Rock Shox Super Deluxe Select buyet with 200euro (new)- The bike is more stable on high speed, more confortable
5. Pedals: One Up nylon....super grippy
6. Rear Derailleurs: Shimano XT, more precisely, more durable
7. Grips- Ergon GA2- I have big hands
IMG_20200502_171349.jpg
IMG_20200502_171531.jpg
IMG_20200502_171933.jpg

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
My Upgrades:

1. Fork- Rock Shox Lyric RC2- upgrade to 180mm- the bike its more plush, The BB is now with 1.4cm higher
-Trickstuff pads for Sram Code R- now i have more power with this pads and rotor disc
4. Rear Shock: Rock Shox Super Deluxe Select buyet with 200euro (new)- The bike is more stable on high speed, more confortable
7. Grips- Ergon GA2- I have big hands View attachment 30629 View attachment 30630 View attachment 30631
You got trick stuff brake pads, may as well get their full brake set now. Would be drool worthy.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Sorinok ...

Great job with the color matching scheme. Nailed it.

Modifying a bike and having it look great is a true form of art (not to mention expensive .. but that what money is for .. buying "essentials" .. aka bike parts :cool:(y))

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
My XXL decoy base is upgraded or changed with:
* Specialized Power Comp sadel (one of the few that i really can spend some time on)
* Renthal Fatbar carbon 35mm Riser stuur 35.0x800mm 40mm-Rise
* Debonair upgrade kit Lyrik (170mm) + Charger 2.1 RC2
* Mashguard plus Mudguard (1-front, 2 rear to protect frame from pebbles crushing in the swingarm.
* Michelin 2.8 E-wild (back)
* esi grips
* Basil Integrated battery cover
* Crankbrothers Mallet E Enduro
* Leyzne Macro drive 1000 (enough light for me)

For me the upgrades to the fork were essential. It improved the performance of the fork so much and thereby my enjoyment. I am 1.93m and 100kg without gear so I generally have problems with shocks and fork being hars due to the high pressures I have to run. But that wasnt the issue here, the 2.1 damper is just so much better than the stock Yari one. I also wanted a little more bar rise since I need to elevate my saddle very high and this is just so much more relaxing position for me. Increasing the fork suspension lenght to 170mm enabled me to run in low setting while not have peddle strikes, because I am not that good without some height....

Changing to the Michelin E-Wild was a good decision for me as I do mostly technical climbing and descents, but high speed downhill I do not. I need to run 1.4 - 1.5bar to prevent that weird feeling in 'heavy' cornering. Tire has very good grip. Did some climbing whereI normally would have spun out. Have a feeling that the tire is also more economical battery wise, but I am not sure.

I also have a battery cover for if the weather is particulary cold, like in the picture (2oC) in December in France. You will have to cut it so the velcro can have a space for the rear suspension. It seems to work really well and it keeps dirt out of the battery department and when transporting the bike without battery on the bikerack!

Pedals from Crankbrothers. Best from both worlds for me. Can be clipped in, as I have been doing for the last 20 years (spd), but if trails become so technical I can still find a foot hold with the pins. Like the float and release also more than my Shimano SPD clips. And the red color is nice!

So yeah, what else?

Decoy.jpg

Last edited:

Casper007

Apr 26, 2020
New Zealand
My Upgrades:

I’ve just picked up the same bike and considering upgrading the shifter and or derailleur. Did you notice a difference going to an XT derailleur and did you change the shifter too? I am thinking Mayne just the shifter as that may give this biggest difference in feel?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
* Basil Integrated battery cover

I also have a battery cover for if the weather is particulary cold, like in the picture (2oC) in December in France. You will have to cut it so the velcro can have a space for the rear suspension. It seems to work really well and it keeps dirt out of the battery department and when transporting the bike without battery on the bikerack!
Ordered. Thanks for posting.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My Upgrades:

7. Grips- Ergon GA2- I have big hands View attachment 30629 View attachment 30630 View attachment 30631

Nice, reminds me of Jordie Lunn's (RIP) Decoy, which was my favourite build out of the factory riders. Fair few of them run a 27.5 on the front.

Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 22.13.09.png

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I want to try some of those tires Jordi was running. Vee tire snap. They have 2.6 now. Ill stick with my mullet but try those vee tire 2.6 front and back

Sorinok

May 24, 2019
Romania
I’ve just picked up the same bike and considering upgrading the shifter and or derailleur. Did you notice a difference going to an XT derailleur and did you change the shifter too? I am thinking Mayne just the shifter as that may give this biggest difference in feel?

I didn't change the shifter, I just changed the derailleur. First of all, the XT is much more robust, the outer plate at XT is made of Al, and at SLX the thin sheet. The first SLX I had on the Goat I smelled on the wheel, then a friend at Decoy also suffered the same problem.

RifleGreen

May 10, 2020
United Kingdom
New Owner of a 2019 Mullet Decoy
Upgrades:
1. Increase Yari to 170mm from 160 mm
2. Throw away Yari OEM guts, add PUSH ACS-3 and HC97
3. Add PUSH 11.6 HD shock and discard the stock shock
4. Install Shimano Saint brakes 203/180 for the stock SRAM Codes (I've had nothing but bad luck with SRAM brakes and am done giving them the benefit of the doubt)
5. Add Cushcore to front & rear
6. Install Wolftooth small bag to water bottle bolts, where I store a 29" tube, tire plugs, a multitool and spare RD. This keeps some weight off my bake and ensures I'm not missing anything crucial when I jump from bike to bike
7. Swap SQLab 611 saddle

My Decoy feels like a superbike. The suspension is unbelievably smooth and bottomless. I couldn't be happier and look forward to big explorations this summer.

Future upgrades: will likely pull Eagle XX0 drivetrain from one of my bikes and swap it for the stock Shimano at some point.
I've put my SRAM Eagle AXS on my 2019 Decoy base. You will need to order the 2020 Decoy Mech hanger in order for it to fit though. I also got an XD free hub and SRAM Eagle chainring. Kept it the same size as the stock Shimano ring so didn't need to faff with the chain guide.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
I've put my SRAM Eagle AXS on my 2019 Decoy base. You will need to order the 2020 Decoy Mech hanger in order for it to fit though. I also got an XD free hub and SRAM Eagle chainring. Kept it the same size as the stock Shimano ring so didn't need to faff with the chain guide.

regarding the chainring, did you have any problems mounting a SRAM ring to the shimano crank? All my other bikes are SRAM only and I've not tried to mix and match.

Also, I'd think the stock Shimano ring would work fine with Eagle, no?

I'll likely be migrating an Eagle XX drivetrain from a different bike to the Decoy. I'm aware of the need for the DT cassette driver and end caps.

RifleGreen

May 10, 2020
United Kingdom
regarding the chainring, did you have any problems mounting a SRAM ring to the shimano crank? All my other bikes are SRAM only and I've not tried to mix and match.

Also, I'd think the stock Shimano ring would work fine with Eagle, no?

I'll likely be migrating an Eagle XX drivetrain from a different bike to the Decoy. I'm aware of the need for the DT cassette driver and end caps.
I bought the SRAM ring to maintain as much compatibility as I could but I don't think the Shimano ring would be a problem. I bought the 104 BCD ring and the fit, although not perfect works as good as the XO1 spiderless ring on my old bike.

Twebeast

May 10, 2020
London
Decoy Pro Race 2019
invisiframed and got the brake lines swapped around to right/front.

Cut the bars to 780mm, and swapped the stem for a 50mm Renthal. Cockpit is personal but at 178cm I found the reach of the large a bit small. Much happier with it now.

Swapped the grips for Renthal glue-ons. I found the stock grips too hard and a bit thick for my hands. The glue-ons looks ratty but I love them.

Put the geo in high position. Can’t see myself going back.. the pedals were just horribly close to the ground in the low setting

Rear tyre: the 2.8 DHR got a pinch flat so swapped out for a DHF 2.5 DD. Feels a little more accurate but I’ve not spent too much time on it yet.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Does anyone know that size headset cups the frame takes? I was looking for the size before i order a works component headset. Im guessing they are pressed in at arent integrated headset cups in the frame? I like the bb height in the high position, and the seat angle. Id like to slacken the head angle by 1 or 1.5 degrees

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Deity 35mm length stem and new grips.
Will test out the shorter stem tomorrow, but kinda wishing I got a 31.8mm bar/stem combo, as I’m not sure I like the added stiffness of the 35.

C30973D3-E806-458F-9643-6083BBD0B5A2.jpeg

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
rb .. that wolf tooth lever and deity stem blend in perfect. Nice work (y)

* like the bell too … our riding group used to use bells as well. We called it the "send it" bell (whenever a big trail feature was coming … ie jump … you would hear the bells ringing before sending it - lol. When you heard the bell ... you always knew something good was around the corner)

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
Deity 35mm length stem and new grips.
Will test out the shorter stem tomorrow, but kinda wishing I got a 31.8mm bar/stem combo, as I’m not sure I like the added stiffness of the 35.

View attachment 31391
Look at the oneup bars, they are made to be much less stiff. I also ran the deity speedway bars which I also felt provided more flex.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
rb .. that wolf tooth lever and deity stem blend in perfect. Nice work (y)

* like the bell too … our riding group used to use bells as well. We called it the "send it" bell (whenever a big trail feature was coming … ie jump … you would hear the bells ringing before sending it - lol. When you heard the bell ... you always knew something good was around the corner)
Thanks. I’m liking how everything is looking and matching together, but still being subtle and stealth. Having all your components anodized purple is not my style. (Personally I’d prefer a loud solid colored frame, and then all black/grey/silver components).

And yeah, the bell is half for hikers and half for playing around with buddies. Unfortunately I like my brakes close to my grips, so there isn’t room for the bell in between. Right now I cannot really reach it while riding at a normal speed.

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
Does anyone know that size headset cups the frame takes? I was looking for the size before i order a works component headset. Im guessing they are pressed in at arent integrated headset cups in the frame? I like the bb height in the high position, and the seat angle. Id like to slacken the head angle by 1 or 1.5 degrees

Upper - ZS44 28.6mm
Lower - ZS56 40mm

I've been running a -2 works components headset (I leave the bike in the high position) since I first got it. 500+ miles on the bike, no issues. Rides great. Thing is a monster!

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Upper - ZS44 28.6mm
Lower - ZS56 40mm

I've been running a -2 works components headset (I leave the bike in the high position) since I first got it. 500+ miles on the bike, no issues. Rides great. Thing is a monster!
Great to hear. Thanks, Ive ordered a -1 works components and i think ive tracked down a 180mm air shaft/fingers crossed

Sorinok

May 24, 2019
Romania
What i buy for my Decoy:
-Steps SM-CRE80/SM-CRE80-B Chainring - original is dead on 2800km
-Minion DHR II+ Rear 27.5x2.80" TR EXO+ 3C MaxTerra 120 - like original tyre....2800km end it is ok
-Muc OFF No Puncture Hassle Tyre Sealant 140 ml - i think is goog
- Effetto MariposaTyreinvader Puncture Protection55 (RIM: 30-40mm) - easy to put on rims, the tyres are now much stiffer. I still haven't ridden a bike so I can form an opinion on how it behaves.
- Handlebar SixPack Millenium 825mm- It remained at the original size of 825mm, I want to test how I feel on the bike

97554415_3264280650262367_6490669150262788096_o.jpg

97663095_3264281006928998_9118299175241383936_o.jpg

97605574_3264280900262342_6472560825113509888_o.jpg

97471250_3264281106928988_7964267520372768768_o.jpg

97983813_3264281336928965_3807038223532687360_o.jpg

RifleGreen

May 10, 2020
United Kingdom
Upgrades to my 2019 Decoy Base

1. SRAM Eagle XO1 AXS Transmission - migrated from my analogue bike, flawless shifting and a clean cockpit.
2. SRAM Eagle 104BCD chainring - for maximum compatibility.
3 Rockshox Reverb AXS - also from analogue bike, again clean cockpit and instant dropper response.
4. One Up Carbon bars - Ali Race Face bars way too stif no more sore hands.
5. SQ Lab 611 ERGOWAVE Active saddle - Measure your sit bones, get the right size saddle whatever the brand, it makes a hell of a difference.
6. SQ Lab 70x grips - nothing wrong with stock but they do match my saddle well.
7. Crank Bros E Mallet LS pedals - avoids scuff marks on the crank arms and frame.
8. Red Crank and Chainring bolts - who doesn't like an accent colour?
9. Non brand Garmin top cap mount - red of course! Keeps the Garmin safer if when I crash!

Future upgrades when the cash flow is built back up again.

1. 2021 Debonair spring possibly 170mm.
2. Charger 2.1 damper.
3. SKF wiper seals - when I do the first lower service.
4. Hope E4/V4 Brakes - not getting on with the codes. when I pull the lever I like to stop in an instant. Guess what colour?
5. 220mm disc rotor up front - I am a large mass that requires a lot of effort to stop.
6. Garmin Edge 530 - upgrade for my Edge 800, better connected features and Steps/AXS capable.
IMG_5608.JPG

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Upgrades to my 2019 Decoy Base

1. SRAM Eagle XO1 AXS Transmission - migrated from my analogue bike, flawless shifting and a clean cockpit.
2. SRAM Eagle 104BCD chainring - for maximum compatibility.
3 Rockshox Reverb AXS - also from analogue bike, again clean cockpit and instant dropper response.
4. One Up Carbon bars - Ali Race Face bars way too stif no more sore hands.
5. SQ Lab 611 ERGOWAVE Active saddle - Measure your sit bones, get the right size saddle whatever the brand, it makes a hell of a difference.
6. SQ Lab 70x grips - nothing wrong with stock but they do match my saddle well.
7. Crank Bros E Mallet LS pedals - avoids scuff marks on the crank arms and frame.
8. Red Crank and Chainring bolts - who doesn't like an accent colour?
9. Non brand Garmin top cap mount - red of course! Keeps the Garmin safer if when I crash!

Future upgrades when the cash flow is built back up again.

1. 2021 Debonair spring possibly 170mm.
2. Charger 2.1 damper.
3. SKF wiper seals - when I do the first lower service.
4. Hope E4/V4 Brakes - not getting on with the codes. when I pull the lever I like to stop in an instant. Guess what colour?
5. 220mm disc rotor up front - I am a large mass that requires a lot of effort to stop.
6. Garmin Edge 530 - upgrade for my Edge 800, better connected features and Steps/AXS capable.
View attachment 31858
I'm thinking of getting a Garmin 530. Can you point me in the direction of that cap mount you have?

I also have an all black Decoy that I purchased just before Rona struck. Loving it so far. Swapping out the brakes, cleaning up the cockpit, larger brake rotors are all on my todo list - and perhaps a coil shock next year.

RifleGreen

May 10, 2020
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of getting a Garmin 530. Can you point me in the direction of that cap mount you have?

I also have an all black Decoy that I purchased just before Rona struck. Loving it so far. Swapping out the brakes, cleaning up the cockpit, larger brake rotors are all on my todo list - and perhaps a coil shock next year.
I bought the top cap from the UK Amazon store. I've had a quick look on the Canadian Amazon site and they have quite a few options. The only issue i had was the cap didn't quite screw down enough but I just fit a larger spacer to the top of my stem. The stock setup was a 5mm spacer but it was short by a few mm. 10mm worked a treat.

Futant

May 23, 2020
SW Colorado
I am new to this forum but I’ll contribute to the thread. Upgrades to my 2019 Decoy Comp (?):
1) ZEE brakes. The CODES just didn’t do it for me. Not enough power The ZEE’s are better but I’m going with the previous recommendation on this thread and going to add Galfer 223 rotors front and rear.
2) ENVE 780mm bar. I can’t stand aluminum bars.
3) Renthal 50mm stem
4) Cushcore. Need I say more? Possibly the best upgrade, period.
5) ERGON saddle. Why not?
6) OURY grips. Best grips I have ever run for my hands.
7) SDG 170mm dropper post. My 150 failed after 2 rides and YTUSA replaced it free of charge. But i asked , why not send me 170? Done! Now I want a 180 or more.

Planned upgrades:
1) drivetrain. Debating Shimano vs SRAM. I am of the opinion that the emtb puts a lot of stress on the drivetrain and cassettes will wear super fast. I want the strongest components available. But I do enjoy the 9/46 of Ethirteen.
suggestions?
2) coil the rear.
3) DSD (Diaz Suspension Design) Runt.

Last edited:

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Best upgrade yet. Specialized steerer swat tool. When this first came out on my 2018 enduro I thought it was dumb. But once you own one (or a 1up) you’ll realize how convenient it is.
41588A90-BEF0-4D6D-957F-171DED0508F2.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles