Post Up your Decoy Upgrades with Reviews

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Ok .. I'll get it started . Curious to see what upgrades or changes you have done to your Decoy and the REVIEWS that go with it.

I bought the Pro Race model as I liked the specs .. so did not change a whole lot

Change #1 - Upsized to Galfer 223mm rotors front and back

Comments: IMO the best upgrade I have done. The Galfer rotors are slightly thicker 2mm than the SRAM and the power is now on par with Shimano Saint brakes (with 200mm rotors). The best benefit however is the added modulation that SRAM codes provide. So if your experiencing brake fade and want more power, you should consider this upgrade. I also bought the Galfer pads (e-bike version rear .. race version front)

Pros : More power and great modulation
Thicker rotors (less warping)
Bling - they look cool and menacing in 223mm size
Very quiet , no squealing (using Galfer pads)

Cons: Heavier than stock
Pricey as you will also need adaptors

Overall: 5/5

IMG_0504.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg

Change #2 - Added Stans Dart Tool to frame

Not really an upgrade, but added a STANS Dart tool just above the upper shock mount. Used 3M clear plastic underneath and epoxied a handpump bracket to hold unit (fit perfectly). Slid a couple of O-rings over the unit to keep in tight and in place.

The reason I did this is because I hate riding with a camelback .. so having the dart took always available in the event of a flat is handy. I now wear a thin runners belt with a mini hand pump and room for my keys and iPhone (ok its a runners belt NOT a "fanny pack" - LOL

No reviews on this one as I have never used it and hope not to ever use it.

IMG_0508.jpg

Change #3 = Bought a new Garmin 830

Installed a Garmin 830 using the Edge stem cap mounting unit. Did NOT want to look like a spandex warrior with the unit out in front. The stem cap mount works very well.

Pros: Love the jump and Airtime feature (for those who send it )
Doesn't look "roadie"
Love the accuracy and software integration

Cons : Some may consider "roadie" anyway.

Enough reviews on this unit .. so mine is irrelevant. ** But I will give the Jump distance and Airtime feature a 5/5. Hey what can go wrong trying to beat your last run jump distances :unsure: (as you compare stats with your buddies in a bed unable to move - lol)

IMG_0511.jpg

Change #4 - TransAm firechicken decal

5/5 …. 11/10 … gain of 20% speed :D **- Can be substituted with flames or suitable decal

Change #5 - 3M wrap rims (yes rims)

If you look really close at the rims above you will see they are also protected with 3M Clear Plastic film. Cut templates using paper, then applied clear sheets to cover the entire circumference. Reason: to protect against rock strikes, etc. Essentially its a small cost to pay to protect against rock damage .. which should easily be offset in the resale value of the bike (people will think you were very easy on the bike as the rims will look new)

Change #6 : Renthal Carbon Fatbars

I actually noticed the difference these bars provide. While most people want more "compliance" … I was looking for stiffness (and dampening). The last thing I was looking for was the feel of a wet noodle out front. On 30 lb bikes having a bar that is compliant and flexes (up and down) is desirable for some (reduce arm pump) but I wanted the dampening effect of carbon BUT more importantly the stiffness it provides.

**My reasoning is simple … switching to an E-Bike, I noticed ONE area that was a bit more difficult to master. That area being when your rolling down a rock face and need to get the front end up (IE huck off or manual a gap while in a steep descent). The added stiffness REALLY helps to get he front wheel airborne when doing a steep descent. This being due to the added weight of the bike itself (vs a non-ebike). These bars really help in that regard.

Rating 4/5

Pros: Stiff and easier to manual over objects
Looks great

Cons: not needed if you don't have the problem noted above.
Expensive

So that's it for now … lets see what you guys have done and interested in your reviews (y)

Last edited:

Barty_NorthVan

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
Sweet!

1 ) I just got the Base Decoy and the first upgrade was 2021 Debonair upgrade for the Yari. It was essential, inexpensive and makes a huge difference. I'm considering Upgrading the Damper 2.1 but haven't done that yet.
2) Ridewrap - Custom wrap for the Decoy. Just arrive so it's not applied to the frame yet
3) New Stem and Bar. Chromag Hifi Stem and SQlab 30x 12deg Bar. - Order but hasn't arrived yet
4) Used but brand New 2020 Fox Float x2 - Just waiting on hardware to arrive to install
5) Blue Fox Float X2 Stickers to match the new blue stem.

Will post pics when everything arrives and installed.
Cheers
Barty

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Here is the first round of upgrades. Much more to come, just waiting on parts.
Wolftooth lever and a fox transfer 175mm. Was gonna keep the stock dropper until I felt the lever. When was just gonna switch out the lever only but needed to take the seat off anyways to cut back the cable housing. Once the seat was off, just swapped it out for my fox post. Glad I did even though taking the motor off to route a dropper post sucked. Taking the motor off in general sucked. (How do you work on a bike with no bb/motor or no seatpost?)
Also put on my spur cycle bell. Best bell money can buy. (Also most expensive. Lol) Needs to be close to the grip so I can actually use it while riding normally, but there isn’t much room and I like my brakes pretty far out.
And put on my Deity knuckleduster grips, they are old but didn’t like the hard ODI’s that came with the bike.
Specialized saddle. I have had this over my last 4 bikes and it hasn’t failed me yet. Plus didn’t hear great things about the YT seat.
First ride on the bike tonight was a success. Can’t wait for many more to come.
BA5B2015-8E68-4E96-8F48-18A276F634E0.jpeg

675CCBCA-3753-4D9C-A89F-3476321A02EC.jpeg

C625C834-5D75-4845-B6B8-137FABBED7F0.jpeg
12FC7994-17FC-45AE-89FF-222AE1A41D73.jpeg

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Next upgrade:
Custom ex511 hoops laced to dt350 hubs. Nothing blingy, but tried and true and have yet to fail me. Also have a downhill casing DHF and DD aggressor tires. Exo is too flimsy for an ebike.
Also added their “water bottle”. May look into hip packs that have a water bladder in them because I’m not a fan of how this bottle looks or it’s small capacity.
BEBBFFD0-9940-4056-AA2C-18753B32AEFB.jpeg

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Ordered one of the water bottles this weekend. $82 including $10 shipping!! Hurts my ass worse than the seat and i havent even seen it yet.
I like my camelback hippack with the insulated bottle. Thatll work well together except i need more storage in it. Tiny storage. Hoses dangling are a pain so on the look out for a 3-5l hippack with a bottle holder

DB88MOTO

Apr 25, 2020
BC Canada
Ordered one of the water bottles this weekend. $82 including $10 shipping!! Hurts my ass worse than the seat and i havent even seen it yet.
I like my camelback hippack with the insulated bottle. Thatll work well together except i need more storage in it. Tiny storage. Hoses dangling are a pain so on the look out for a 3-5l hippack with a bottle holder

HAHA.. I ordered a new Decoy pro race and added the water bottle..Then only to see the reviews that is sucks... I haven't received my bike yet either, and wondering about the seat.. was going to order a new seat but figured I would wait until my first ride....

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Oh shit. Hope the water bottle is ok. As long as it stays on there im ok with it. The seat is a brick on my base. I have to get something

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
More upgrades.
Dpx2. Nothing exciting since the pro 29 already comes stock with this shock, but should help a lot for the base model. Factory/Elite models are unnecessary according to a knowledgeable person at fox, since the shock works best in this “setting” anyways.
6F48B9D9-CD50-426F-8C34-D03E2FB18C16.jpeg

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
First "upgrade" was to fit a set of Hope V4 brakes that I've had on 2 previous bikes, not sure if it's an upgrade or not over the Codes that came with the bike as i never used them!
Hope stem to make the brakes, natch!
Metal end caps on the cranks so they don't fall off (colour coded to the brakes and stem of course) Note: since the photo was taken, I've now got the correct colour for the end caps :D
Biggest change so far was the Marzocchi Bomber rear coil, this has transformed the feel of the bike, now super plush and adjustable!
To go with the shock, I fitted a 170mm airshaft to the stock Yari and gave the fork a lowers service at the same time, this brings the front in line with the rear and is far smoother, running no tokens seems to make the fork super compliant and no bottoming....
Today fitted a Oneup
carbon bar, 800x20, partly to lower the high front end, but also to damp the front end further, it really works!
For those not familiar with the Oneup, just outside the 35mm stem clamp area, instead of tapering roundly (?) into the controls area, it is flattened to give vertical compliance but not at the expense of steering accuracy.
On my stony/rocky 18km run today it's definitely more damp, now I can only feel the stones, not the pebbles!
Not much to look at, almost stealth-like, but suits the bike!

25E7621D-B6D9-47B1-A40E-51C9E59D9BA4.jpeg
83B79AEE-6069-4D42-B6AB-1AFDA9EB9243.jpeg

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
New Owner of a 2019 Mullet Decoy
Upgrades:
1. Increase Yari to 170mm from 160 mm
2. Throw away Yari OEM guts, add PUSH ACS-3 and HC97
3. Add PUSH 11.6 HD shock and discard the stock shock
4. Install Shimano Saint brakes 203/180 for the stock SRAM Codes (I've had nothing but bad luck with SRAM brakes and am done giving them the benefit of the doubt)
5. Add Cushcore to front & rear
6. Install Wolftooth small bag to water bottle bolts, where I store a 29" tube, tire plugs, a multitool and spare RD. This keeps some weight off my bake and ensures I'm not missing anything crucial when I jump from bike to bike
7. Swap SQLab 611 saddle

My Decoy feels like a superbike. The suspension is unbelievably smooth and bottomless. I couldn't be happier and look forward to big explorations this summer.

Future upgrades: will likely pull Eagle XX0 drivetrain from one of my bikes and swap it for the stock Shimano at some point.

Last edited:

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Upgrades:
4. Install Shimano Saint brakes 203/180 for the stock SRAM Codes (I've had nothing but bad luck with SRAM brakes and am done giving them the benefit of the doubt)
6. Install Wolftooth small bag to water bottle bolts, where I store a 29" tube, tire plugs, a multitool and spare RD. This keeps some weight off my bake and ensures I'm not missing anything crucial when I jump from bike to bike

My Decoy feels like a superbike. The suspension is unbelievably smooth and bottomless. I couldn't be happier and look forward to big explorations this summer.

Future upgrades: will likely pull Eagle XX0 drivetrain from one of my bikes and swap it for the stock Shimano at some point.
Can you post a link to that Wolftooth small bag? The only problem I find with the mullet is needing to carry two different tubes. I'd like to put one of them + a few other items in this bag.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Can you post a link to that Wolftooth small bag? The only problem I find with the mullet is needing to carry two different tubes. I'd like to put one of them + a few other items in this bag.
Mate, a 27.5 tube will fit perfectly fine in a 29” wheel. I’ve had four 29ers over the years and if I’m carrying a tube it’s usually 27.5 just because they fold up a little smaller.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
Mate, a 27.5 tube will fit perfectly fine in a 29” wheel. I’ve had four 29ers over the years and if I’m carrying a tube it’s usually 27.5 just because they fold up a little smaller.

Agreed. No need to carry both sizes. The 29 will work in the 27.5+, and vice versa. But I've never tried using a standard 27.5 in a 27.5+ tire.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Agreed. No need to carry both sizes. The 29 will work in the 27.5+, and vice versa. But I've never tried using a standard 27.5 in a 27.5+ tire.
Not sure about 27.5+ as I’ve never used it. I would think it would be perfectly fine to get you home, but I’d never run tubes for anything other than that in a plus tire. Or any tire for that matter. Lol

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Upgrades:

Pictures please, that sounds like a great build!

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
What spring weights are people using for their weight? Im guessing with the bit higher leverage ratio that the decoy may need a higher spring weight? Not sure im 170lbs/76kg

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
B-RAD Mini Roll-Top Bag

I only carry the 29" tube. It'll work in the 27.5+ in a pinch. But I also carry tire plugs which is preferable

B-RAD Mini Roll-Top Bag
Ordered. That bag and another I use attached to the top tube means I'll only need to use a backpack for water (which I'm totally fine with).

Checking out that shock you posted as well.... but that's a bit more expensive :)

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
Ordered. That bag and another I use attached to the top tube means I'll only need to use a backpack for water (which I'm totally fine with).

Checking out that shock you posted as well.... but that's a bit more expensive :)

Yes. It is. But it's 100% no compromises. Steel shaft to handle the excess loads, spherical bearings, hydraulic bottom out - it's the bees knees. Currently Push is only offering the "HD" shock for YT and Specialized e-bikes but they'll be rapidly expanding shortly. No, I don't work for Push :)

Barty_NorthVan

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
Sweet!

1 ) I just got the Base Decoy and the first upgrade was 2021 Debonair upgrade for the Yari. It was essential, inexpensive and makes a huge difference. I'm considering Upgrading the Damper 2.1 but haven't done that yet.
2) Ridewrap - Custom wrap for the Decoy. Just arrive so it's not applied to the frame yet
3) New Stem and Bar. Chromag Hifi Stem and SQlab 30x 12deg Bar. - Order but hasn't arrived yet
4) Used but brand New 2020 Fox Float x2 - Just waiting on hardware to arrive to install
5) Blue Fox Float X2 Stickers to match the new blue stem.

Will post pics when everything arrives and installed.
Cheers
Barty

UPDATE:
1) Debonair Upgrade is so worth it on the YARI - Everyone needs to do this if you have the Base model.
2) Custom Decoy Ridewrap installed- Takes a while and I didn't do the best job but at least the Decoy is protected
3) New SQLab 12deg Bar and Chromag stem installed - First ride today and the first time every that my bad wrist did not go numb!!! Win.
4) Fox Float X2 installed and had 3 rides on it.. what a difference... (Also have the flip chip in High Setting) No more pedal strikes and bottom outs.. Feels like a DH bike on the steeps now.

Pics from my ride today.

IMG_9958.JPG

IMG_9957.JPG

IMG_9956.JPG

IMG_99592.jpg

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
UPDATE:
1) Debonair Upgrade is so worth it on the YARI - Everyone needs to do this if you have the Base model.
2) Custom Decoy Ridewrap installed- Takes a while and I didn't do the best job but at least the Decoy is protected
3) New SQLab 12deg Bar and Chromag stem installed - First ride today and the first time every that my bad wrist did not go numb!!! Win.
4) Fox Float X2 installed and had 3 rides on it.. what a difference... (Also have the flip chip in High Setting) No more pedal strikes and bottom outs.. Feels like a DH bike on the steeps now.

Pics from my ride today.

View attachment 30526

View attachment 30527

View attachment 30528

View attachment 30530
Top of Dales or maybe Corkscrew?

I have the Fox DPX2 and like it so far, but it doesn't feel quite as responsive as the RockShox RC3 on my Capra. I definitely need to put more air in it than in the RC3. I won't upgrade the DPX2 shock until next season at the earliest though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles