Post Brexit Import/Export awareness

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
These price rises make no sense. either these companies are pretty dumb or just lazy.

Firstly you dont pay 2 lots of import duty. Which looks to be the case right now. One to the EU and one to the UK. When a bike or bike parts leave the EU the import duty is reclaimed. This is no different than Alcohol duty and the whole reason why bonded warehouses exist. When a product leaves a country any duty that was paid is reclaimed, VAT and import duty.

Right now some idiots are charging EU VAT and then UK Vat at the border as well as 2 lots of import tax. The only charges a UK consumer should be paying are UK VAT and Import tax and shipping.

Its really not that hard to assemble in china or taiwan either. A chinese made bike doesnt need to even touch EU soil. Even if it does there are systems in place where you can defer tax payments on products that are to be exported which you have just imported. (imagine how uncompetitive it would make the EU if they had to pay 2 lots of import tax given most things are made in China.)

The shipping costs quoted are also lies. They are using pre christmas surge pricing as their reason for cost increases. The stock isnt due till March which means it was shipped post Xmas.

Truth is that there is only a bike boom if you got stock and they dont have stock so price rises are to cover their lost profit from lack of sellable stock.
I agree on all points.
One of the negatives of a "single market" is that companies in effect have a large domestic market and can therefore as a result have no experience of trade processes beyond that market. Lazy is a perhaps a bit harsh but it does also mean that if that market is protected from competition, they may rely on that protection rather than actively plan ahead for change. I saw an article warning months ago that many of the SMEs in the EU were in that situation. SMEs in the US are another example. They have such a huge domestic market that they are also potentially left without any experience of export.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I agree on all points.
One of the negatives of a "single market" is that companies in effect have a large domestic market and can therefore as a result have no experience of trade processes beyond that market. Lazy is a perhaps a bit harsh but it does also mean that if that market is protected from competition, they may rely on that protection rather than actively plan ahead for change. I saw an article warning months ago that many of the SMEs in the EU were in that situation. SMEs in the US are another example. They have such a huge domestic market that they are also potentially left without any experience of export.
Thats not unique to just the EU and the US ,for all the Brexit drama and headlines on the Beeb, we forget that 92% of all business's in the UK do not trade with the EU.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
For info, I ordered some parts from Bikeinn.com on the 5th that totaled just under £50 including the Parcelforce shipping option. It was dispatched on the the 6th, left Spain on the 9th, arrived in the UK on the 11th and delivered on the 12th with no charges. Also the prices were in line with what I'd have paid in 2020.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Orders under £135 are delivered duty paid so that's exactly what should have happened.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
The UK Bikeshops are going to suffer a bit. Over the last few years I have often ordered from over the ditch. Often prices were better, and normally 7 days postage was acceptable.
In Feb. 2 I ordered a pair of Endura overshoes for about €35 from Cyclestore.co.uk. I got a message that I should pick them up on Friday from the post office so took they took nearly a Month. I had to pay €14 customs and taxes! So that added nearly 50% to the price.
Sorry UK but that is my last bike parts order from you guys unless I am really desperate. :poop: ? :mad:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles