Post Brexit Import/Export awareness

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
This is NOT a political thread .. or a Brexit/Brexin ? Brin??!? anyway .. Hopefully the mods will just delete any as I'm not trying to start a debate or argument. Bray ?.... (Obviously general stupidity will be allowed in this thread, or I wouldn't be able to post here myself).

Just for people to post any info related to orders we make and what to expect, as for many of us, this will all be new and unfamiliar territory.

So for Muppets in France and presumably the rest of mainland Europe we'll now get something like this (just received). Presumably, this will be the same going the other way. I'm not sure if you can get around this like when you order a new Raptor Engine from Space-X and have them mark it as "Gift"..

This is obviously something that anyone sending items also needs to be aware of and in both directions will most likely slow things down. :(

(Translated).

BREXIT: import from Great Britain, what should you know?
As of January 1, 2021, packages from Great Britain will be subject to an import declaration in France incurring costs (customs duties and taxes).

The amount of these costs is calculated according to the nature of the goods as well as their value.

If you are the recipient of a parcel from Great Britain, you will receive from Chronopost a notification by email and SMS, giving you access to a link that will redirect you to a secure payment page, where you can pay the amount of the costs. by credit card.

You have the option of refusing payment of these costs, in which case the package will be returned to the sender.

You have 9 days from the customs release of the package to pay the amount of customs duties and taxes. After this period, the package will be returned to the sender.

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
This is NOT a political thread .. or a Brexit/Brexin ? Brin??!? anyway .. Hopefully the mods will just delete any as I'm not trying to start a debate or argument. Bray ?.... (Obviously general stupidity will be allowed in this thread, or I wouldn't be able to post here myself).

Just for people to post any info related to orders we make and what to expect, as for many of us, this will all be new and unfamiliar territory.

So for Muppets in France and presumably the rest of mainland Europe we'll now get something like this (just received). Presumably, this will be the same going the other way. I'm not sure if you can get around this like when you order a new Raptor Engine from Space-X and have them mark it as "Gift"..

This is obviously something that anyone sending items also needs to be aware of and in both directions will most likely slow things down. :(

(Translated).

BREXIT: import from Great Britain, what should you know?
As of January 1, 2021, packages from Great Britain will be subject to an import declaration in France incurring costs (customs duties and taxes).

The amount of these costs is calculated according to the nature of the goods as well as their value.

If you are the recipient of a parcel from Great Britain, you will receive from Chronopost a notification by email and SMS, giving you access to a link that will redirect you to a secure payment page, where you can pay the amount of the costs. by credit card.

You have the option of refusing payment of these costs, in which case the package will be returned to the sender.

You have 9 days from the customs release of the package to pay the amount of customs duties and taxes. After this period, the package will be returned to the sender.
glad this is not going to be "political" zimm

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
As long as there is no actual trade agreement between EU and UK, this is just silly talk IMO.
Lets wait for the agreement...and then talk :)
Crossing fingers that it will be "soon".

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
As long as there is no actual trade agreement between EU and UK, this is just silly talk IMO.
Lets wait for the agreement...and then talk :)
Crossing fingers that it will be "soon".
That doesn't help with transactions made prior to the agreement, like now.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I regularly order stuff from the US and occasionally China. Customs and VAT charges ( if not pre paid by the vendor) are standard practise except for low value items so if there is no trade deal with the EU after 31st Dec the process will be the same as. Provided despatch charges are not high ( they vary significantly with US orders) the price inclusive of customs and VAT is often still the cheapest purchase option.

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
My bikes in a container awaiting import off the shore of the uk. I have been told January delivery. The shop have been super helpful and are lending me a demo when I want it.

I stupidly sold my bike cause I thought I would be on the ebike by now. Bit of a bellend move on my part.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ok so just bumping this as it look like we are now beginning to see the effects come into play.

Currently it looks like Canyon, Orbea, Commencal, Radon have temporarily suspended ordering from the UK, plus numerous European retailers not taking order from the UK, until clarity on trading comes about.

I wonder if bricks and mortar shops are having issues ordering components etc?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It all depends on how well prepared each business is for the change of process as from Jan 1st in terms of export documentation. The process change would have been the same in that respect whether or not a deal was agreed.......the only variable being whether tariffs would apply or not. It had been noted previously that EU SMEs were likely to be less prepared/experienced because they mostly only did business within the EU. Maybe that is what we are seeing right now. It should resolve fairly quickly however given the deal is now agreed.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
All the documentation in the world won't stop the requirement to pay duty (6% on bicycles, not sure what it is on components) and VAT (20%) and the handling charge levied by the courier.

Also, there is no low value cut off any more. All packages under £135 must have the taxes paid by the exporter (shop) and by the importer (you, me, everyone) for values over that amount.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The free trade deal means no tariffs, which means no tariffs, like we have had for the last 40 odd years. There will be some barriers to trade though, different documentation for example. Plus the dockers and customs people playing silly buggers at the ports to make up for not getting the fishing deal they wanted. The latter two may slow things down for a while until it all settles down.

The above paragraph could of course could have been written by someone from the EU perspective about importing stuff from the UK.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
It’s just a shame we import far more stuff than they do so we suffer more .
If a British company does a lot of business in the eu they might be more likely to employ someone from the eu as they’ll be able to work in the Uk plus the eu without any bother whereas a Uk citizen will need visa’s and wot not !

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
All the documentation in the world won't stop the requirement to pay duty (6% on bicycles, not sure what it is on components) and VAT (20%) and the handling charge levied by the courier.
0% tariff
Same VAT as before...20%

Also, there is no low value cut off any more. All packages under £135 must have the taxes paid by the exporter (shop) and by the importer (you, me, everyone) for values over that amount.
The only VAT free import value that is to be scrapped is goods under £15.
Imports to consumers for goods valued from £15 to £135 have always been subject to VAT. The change post Brexit is that VAT on goods up to that value sold to consumers will be charged by the seller rather than being levied as customs tax. That does however mean that the seller ( say a French LBS) will have to register with HMRC since it will be acting as the collector of that tax. Outlets that do not do a lot of business with UK customers may consider that too onerous. So the likelihood is that they will opt to use an organisation like Ebay or Amazon to make their goods available. It will then be Amazon/Ebay that is responsible for collecting the VAT ( at UK rate).

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It’s just a shame we import far more stuff than they do so we suffer more .
If a British company does a lot of business in the eu they might be more likely to employ someone from the eu as they’ll be able to work in the Uk plus the eu without any bother whereas a Uk citizen will need visa’s and wot not !
To work in the UK from Jan 1st you need to have a job offer and need to apply for a work permit..........so no different to a UK citizen wanting to work in the EU.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
An eu citizen will need one permit to work in the Uk and all eu countries but the Uk citizen will need a permit for every country he travel’s for work !

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
what? A work permit is linked to a job offered by a company in that country. If you are a UK citizen working for a UK company and need to carry out business for that company in other countries, in most instances you do not require a work permit unless the duration of that visit amounts to temporary residence. I carried out business in the US, Far East and Europe during my career, often staying 1 or 2 weeks. Never needed a work visa.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
It’s as if they didn’t have a think about it first !
ps ; motor died today ( bearing man was right ...again ?) !

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
This one made me chuckle, they are bloody made in England FFS, but because parent company is Italian and this where distribution centre is they have halted sales to uk ?‍♂️

The headline should read that an Italian company..Selle Italia have failed to take the implement the necessary processes to export to the UK. That despite the UK import/export rules being published for weeks. So they lose whatever % of their sales are to the UK until they sort it out.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The headline should read that an Italian company..Selle Italia have failed to take the implement the necessary processes to export to the UK. That despite the UK import/export rules being published for weeks. So they lose whatever % of their sales are to the UK until they sort it out.
But only because the UK govt didn't update their website, despite knowing this would happen, even though they were given another 11 months to try maybe make some realistic decission, so that anyone had even the remotest clue of how to actually proceed ... other than "be-prepared" .. says the man who wasn't even prepared with the surprise each morning that he might actually need a comb ! :ROFLMAO: Sorry, I retract that entire statement. My delete key doesn't work. Or my left mouse button. Or the CTRL button. Backspace is flaky at best. Sh1t the dog just press post

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
From UK brand Cotic on EU pricing. May help explain tariffs etc that we are seeing added to bike prices right now:

“Well, it took a few days of digging to get there, but we finally have our new working practices in place for our EU customers. We contacted all our customers with orders already placed with deposits individually last week, as we wanted to make sure they understood their situation specifically rather than seeing a general mailshot like this.

EU Export – New Rules
Before I get into this in detail, please remember that this is Cotic specific. We have a particular implementation because of our UK made frames and also because we sell predominantly mountain bikes. This means our bikes generally have very high value suspension bolted to them (the same, if not more than the frame cost sometimes) which is what stops us qualifying for tariff free trade on bicycles in all cases regardless of the origin of the base frame. Some other companies will have different tariff applications, because of their supply and bike spec situation. So, without further ado, this is what you can now expect from Cotic:

UK Made Frames:
UK made frame only orders (so that is currently RocketMAX and Rocket) attract Zero duty when shipped to the EU. This is regardless of the damper specified, and can also stretch to include headset and BB and certain other items usually associated with “frame only” orders, mainly because in the vast majority of cases it involves UK made Hope parts.

Taiwan Made Frames:
All Taiwan made frame only orders will attract 4.7% import duty, and the associated handling fees for customs. As an example, we have calculated that a customer in the EU with a BFeMAX frame ordered will pay EUR40-50 more now.

Complete Bikes:
All Cotic bicycles attract 14% import duty. This means that with handling fees our bikes have become EUR350-600 more expensive depending on specification.

The flip side of this in our home market is that this also works the other way, and our European based competitors bikes have increased in price by 20% or more, which means we are now more price competitive in our home market. Silver linings and all that…..

All purchases made by EU customers are now charged without 20% UK VAT. This means the price you pay Cotic will be much lower initially, but you will have VAT and the import duty and fees applied in transit, which will be payable by the customer to the courier when the frame or bike arrives.

Shipping
If you live in the EU and already have an order on with us for a frame or bike, then shipping is still included in the price and we will honour that regardless of what happens in the next few weeks.

We aim to continue with that with new orders, but we are keeping an eye on pricing. At the moment the prices remain similar to pre-Brexit, but some services such as DPD Road is currently suspended whilst they figure out their new border operating procedures, and the other services available are currently giving out 11-14 day transit times. Again, I suspect this is due to needing new and more involved operating procedures at borders. It will improve over time as the new rules settle in, but we reserve the right to increase shipping fees if we see major increases on our usual services.

So that’s it. Thanks for your patience, and as always, we’re on the end of an email or the phone if you’re unsure about anything. We’re happy to talk things through.

Cy
Founder and Director

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
YT Industries added costs for bikes shipped to the UK:

SHIPPING COSTS & IMPORT FEES
Parts: £ 8.90 | Bikes: £ 185

CUSTOMS DUTIES for bikes (Due to Brexit) 14% of the net price of a standard bike, or 6% net price of a E-Bike.

So a £4999 YT Decoy will now cost UK buyers

£4999+
£185 shipping / import+
£300 duty

£5484 total

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Commencal:

Shipping to the UK: €119

UK deliveries

Please note your products are delivered to the UK from our warehouse in France. Orders over 150€ are tax free at purchase but will incur customs duty charges to be paid to the delivery company.

Example:
Commencal Meta Power Team 29:
Price: €6999
Shipping: €119
Duty: £374

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So my understanding now is that all EU imported bikes (direct to consumer) will incur a 6% ebike duty charge and a significant shipping cost.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Late december 2020 I ordered a beanie fra UK.
Price was reduced by 95%, and shipping was low.

So I ordered it and received it today.
There should be no tax/duty, so I was happy.

20£ was added by the courier, because they had to declare it.
So....a cheap item got expensive :)

Live and learn.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
So my understanding now is that all EU imported bikes (direct to consumer) will incur a 6% ebike duty charge and a significant shipping cost.

You Southerners might as well take a wee driving/shopping trip to Andorra/Germany... Well... when that's viable again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles