Possible BB issue E8000? E120 800 Merida

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
I have posted this in the Merida thread as well, but thought I might get a better reply in here.

I went to head out on the bike the other night and all of sudden a noise seemed to have appeared which at first I thought was the frame creaking etc. It seems to appear only when I am pedalling when under load or without. I think it's coming from the motor BB, but now can't be sure what noise was there before. It's hard to describe but sounds like something is creaking.

I have a video below showing the issue which is there with or without the chain on. Took both cranks off and re-greased etc and checked all bearings around the frame and lastly the seat.

Does anyone's motor do this or is the BB going? I normal check the bike over often and have no memory of this noise before, even when replacing chains etc.

Heathogo

May 3, 2020
Australia
G'day, I have an e8000 which is similar (a little quieter). I also get a clicking noise when pedalling under load. Do you have a bit of movement in your bottom bracket too?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That looks like and sounds like a worn freewheel of some kind (unsure exactly what type is in the e8000). If I was forced to guess, I'd say it was a more like a worn sprag clutch than a ratchet and pawl type of freewheel.

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
Hey, i don't have any side to side movement. Bike is still in the LSB and they it seems madison haven't requested the motor yet, but asked for videos etc to be sent. By the looks of things I doubt I will see it within the next 2 months.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Tighten the crankarm(s). Tighten the crank bolt(s). Tighten the spider retention ring. If that doesn't fix it, ride it until it breaks.

Heathogo

May 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah done all that and it made no difference. Its makes a noise under load which I can't stand when using it, so back it went.
G'day I just had my second motor go back for the same reason, bottom bracket issues seem to be pretty common in these units. Hopefully they get them back quickly

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
Did everone with this issue get theirs sorted? It's been nearly 2 months and the dealer is still waiting to hear from Shimano. I have been told I can take the bike back in the mean time, but with the noise it makes underload I won't even ride it anyway so don't see the point.

Either the dealer is talking BS or Shimano are taking the ass out of it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles