Please share your feedback about the Stance 2021.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
15 months ago i bought the 2020 it was 400Wh and 27.5 wheels.
A bit to have a 500Wh and a bit to have 29 wheels i am considering buying a 2021.
My 2020 was flawless but i think to use 1 bike year round the new
might fit my needs better.

Last edited:

anfos

May 1, 2021
Greece
It's great for me, I don't do any technical stuff though but for what I use it for (ride from tarmac to the trails and back) it's great.
Are you not looking at the 2022 models?

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
It's great for me, I don't do any technical stuff though but for what I use it for (ride from tarmac to the trails and back) it's great.
Are you not looking at the 2022 models?
Here in Canada the 2022 info is very limited. I think they will offer the same because the 2021 is a new model on 29in, the previous year it was on 27.5. With the 2021 the price is lower and it is in the shop so no maybe about the delivery date.
If we pre-order the price might change, the parts might change, and it will get here when it does.
I tried the medium but it is too long for my short torso so tomorrow i will try a small, it was in the box.
At 4,400$ canadian it is the most affordable FS and more reliable than many.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I've had the 2021 Stance E+2 since January.
After about 3 months it started to shut itself off randomly. Short story is I got the bike replaced quickly and it's been rock solid since then.
Love the bike. It's comfortable and quiet.
I had a 2019 Fathom before that which was awesome but wanted dual suspension, and glad I made the switch.
The Fathom had 27.5 wheels as well and I like the 29er more. Takes curbs, bumps, roots etc. much nicer.
The only things I've changed so far are the pedals (to Raceface Chester), the handlebar (to Upanbike 50mm riser), and the grips (to Ergon GP1).
If it got wrecked I'd be happy to have it again as a replacement.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
My story is similar to Dave's, I've had my Stance E+2 since June replacing my 2020 Fathom and have now covered over 1700km. The Stance is Giant’s entry level full suspension EMTB and although not top of the range component specifications, all are fairly decent considering the overall price of the bike. In comparison with other brands Giant's "display" is pretty basic, the RideControl One uses LED’s to show battery power and assist level. I have purchase a Garmin Edge to provide better info but you can also connect to your phone.

The suspension is good and suits my riding requirements (trails and downhill MTB tracks) with Suntour XCR forks with 130mm of travel and a Rockshox Monarch R rear shock with 120mm of travel. The Shimano Deore 10-speed setup (11-46 cassette and 36 chainring) provide all I need and seems to work well with the Yamaha motor. The brakes are Tektro HD-M745 Orion 4-piston with 203mm rotors (F) and 180mm (R) providing plenty of stopping power for me as I am not a small person.

The 500Wh battery is OK and one of the reasons I stepped up from the 400Wh on the Fathom. Personally if I was looking again I would aim for over 600Wh. Giant's SyncDrive Sport motor, a Yamaha Motor running Giant Software (250w 70Nm tq) performs well and is quiet, a friend with a Commencal Meta (Shimano) even commented on it's lack of noise.

My experience has been great with the only niggle being one instance of what is being referred to on here as "the sudden off". Reseating the battery fixed this and I've done nearly 1000km without further fault. I recently had an annoying click/squeak that turned out to be the swing-arm pivot / lower shock mount bolt/nut loose.

The current Stance appears to be a compromise between value for money and quality that I think Giant have managed to pull off very well. It is probable the most affordable full suspension EMTB currently on offer from one of the "big" manufacturers. I would definitely buy it again.

Last edited:

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
I have a 2021 Stance E1. 12 speed/625watt battery vs the E2 which is a 10speed/500watt battery. My neighbor has the E2. We ride a lot together and even though he is more fit than me and uses lower power setting than me in general on our rides, I consistently come back with very similar battery percentages or a slightly higher battery percentage than him.

Other than that, the bike has been great. I replaced the cassette after about 750 miles (mostly my poor shifting habits caused some bent teeth). I had the dropper post cartridge go out after about 400 miles (replaced on warranty). I also changed out the 38T chainring with a 34T chainring. I don't know why they put a 38T chainring on the bike.

Also the E1 has a dropper post, the E2 does not (but you can add one).

As for how far you can ride there are obviously a lot of variables (I'm 205lbs, not the most fit person), but I can go about 30 miles on one charge riding single tracks/Fire Roads, 15-25 degree hills, 2,000+ft of elevation gain.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
What tires are you using?
I got a small, i like the short lenght, the 160 mm crank arms.
I want 2.6 or 2.8. With leaves on the ground that 2.4 front tire is not very safe.
Thanks.

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
What tires are you using?
I got a small, i like the short lenght, the 160 mm crank arms.
I want 2.6 or 2.8. With leaves on the ground that 2.4 front tire is not very safe.
Thanks.

I use Maxxis Minion DHR II 29x2.4 tubeless tires front and back. But in Ca. we mostly have no trees or evergreen trees (so no leaves) and it rarely rains. I ride on very hard, very dry dirt 90% of the year. The bike has 25mm rim's. I am not an expert on how big a tire you can run on those rims.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
I have a 2021 Stance E1. 12 speed/625watt battery vs the E2 which is a 10speed/500watt battery. My neighbor has the E2. We ride a lot together and even though he is more fit than me and uses lower power setting than me in general on our rides, I consistently come back with very similar battery percentages or a slightly higher battery percentage than him.

Other than that, the bike has been great. I replaced the cassette after about 750 miles (mostly my poor shifting habits caused some bent teeth). I had the dropper post cartridge go out after about 400 miles (replaced on warranty). I also changed out the 38T chainring with a 34T chainring. I don't know why they put a 38T chainring on the bike.

Also the E1 has a dropper post, the E2 does not (but you can add one).

As for how far you can ride there are obviously a lot of variables (I'm 205lbs, not the most fit person), but I can go about 30 miles on one charge riding single tracks/Fire Roads, 15-25 degree hills, 2,000+ft of elevation gain.
Interesting observation on the 500w battery on your friend's bike and your 625. I am seeing the same thing between my Haibike Full Seven, with 500wh and my Giant Trance with the 625. I lend the Haibike to friends and when we get back we are neck-and-neck for remaining battery percentage. Our trips are hard, with around 4,000 ft vertical (300ft/mile for long stretches) and 50 miles total. They require lots of pedaling. I know that I am putting as much or more effort that the riders on my other bike. I am also not seeing much additional range when I connect the 240wh booster battery. I am about to install some measurement instrumentation to watch what goes on on both bikes.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Interesting observation on the 500w battery on your friend's bike and your 625. I am seeing the same thing between my Haibike Full Seven, with 500wh and my Giant Trance with the 625. I lend the Haibike to friends and when we get back we are neck-and-neck for remaining battery percentage. Our trips are hard, with around 4,000 ft vertical (300ft/mile for long stretches) and 50 miles total. They require lots of pedaling. I know that I am putting as much or more effort that the riders on my other bike. I am also not seeing much additional range when I connect the 240wh booster battery. I am about to install some measurement instrumentation to watch what goes on on both bikes.
It seems you wish you had more range. Maybe you could get the habit of staying above 80 rpm.
Just use your transmission like any bike.
Instead of being on a cog with 15 teeth if you are on the next one with 17 the assist will not use
as much power from the battery.
It is like filling a large pool with a small garden hose, it takes many hours.
But with a pump and a large firehose it can be emptied much faster.
Many sensors are in action but from a dead stop or going uphill stay away from the 13 and 15 teeth
use at least 17 teeth.

In Canada i have the only available model it is the 10S, 500Wh, with a fixed seatpost.
The front comes with 36 teeth. I like it because i do not need to use the small 11 in rear.
I just use 9 speeds so i only have 8 shifts to cover all my range. From 13 to 46 is plenty
for me. At 140 pounds the 500Wh offers me enough even for our cold winter.
Last year my 2020 had 400Wh and it was limit for very cold days.
PS. Mr Giant i hope you offer Yamaha Efatbikes soon

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
It seems you wish you had more range. Maybe you could get the habit of staying above 80 rpm.
Just use your transmission like any bike.
Instead of being on a cog with 15 teeth if you are on the next one with 17 the assist will not use
as much power from the battery.
It is like filling a large pool with a small garden hose, it takes many hours.
But with a pump and a large firehose it can be emptied much faster.
Many sensors are in action but from a dead stop or going uphill stay away from the 13 and 15 teeth
use at least 17 teeth.

In Canada i have the only available model it is the 10S, 500Wh, with a fixed seatpost.
The front comes with 36 teeth. I like it because i do not need to use the small 11 in rear.
I just use 9 speeds so i only have 8 shifts to cover all my range. From 13 to 46 is plenty
for me. At 140 pounds the 500Wh offers me enough even for our cold winter.
Last year my 2020 had 400Wh and it was limit for very cold days.
PS. Mr Giant i hope you offer Yamaha Efatbikes soon
Thanks, but I bought the Trance with 625WH main and 240WH Plus battery specifically to go farther than my Haibike with the 500w battery and similar motor on all day adventure rides. On our push mtb we sometimes do 55M/4,500ft, on road bikes we do century rides with 2500ft. On the Haibike I can squeak out 50m/4000ft with most of the altitude done on very steep sections. The Trance has a similar Yamaha motor with 73% more battery capacity, and maybe six pounds more of battery weight. I was hoping for maybe 75m/6000ft out of that combo. I spin like a mad dog when I ride the ebike and never use the smaller cogs except downhill, usually with assist turned off. I suspect some of the less than expected range is due to the Energy Plus pack running its fewer cells at the max C rate, which drastically reduces usable Watt Hours. I will find out over the winter when I instrument both bikes and look at what goes on with power consumption, usable battery capacity, watts used per GPS location, etc. Let's see where this all goes, and if just carrying an extra battery would have been the right answer.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Thanks, but I bought the Trance with 625WH main and 240WH Plus battery specifically to go farther than my Haibike with the 500w battery and similar motor on all day adventure rides. On our push mtb we sometimes do 55M/4,500ft, on road bikes we do century rides with 2500ft. On the Haibike I can squeak out 50m/4000ft with most of the altitude done on very steep sections. The Trance has a similar Yamaha motor with 73% more battery capacity, and maybe six pounds more of battery weight. I was hoping for maybe 75m/6000ft out of that combo. I spin like a mad dog when I ride the ebike and never use the smaller cogs except downhill, usually with assist turned off. I suspect some of the less than expected range is due to the Energy Plus pack running its fewer cells at the max C rate, which drastically reduces usable Watt Hours. I will find out over the winter when I instrument both bikes and look at what goes on with power consumption, usable battery capacity, watts used per GPS location, etc. Let's see where this all goes, and if just carrying an extra battery would have been the right answer.
I am not a magician but i avoid auto asist. It is a no brainer i usually play between 2 and 4 lights.
2 lights for range or more lights when i know i will get back soon.
I guess i am a lucky light rider.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
I am not a magician but i avoid auto asist. It is a no brainer i usually play between 2 and 4 lights.
2 lights for range or more lights when i know i will get back soon.
I guess i am a lucky light rider.
How many miles/ft are your typical rides? I tried auto mode for about 5 minutes and I don't care for it. I use level 1 and 2 mostly, with both of those set to their mid power settings, not the default full power settings. I start out on level 1 for as long as I can bear it, bumping it if I have steep climbs. Later in my rides I ride more on level 2. I use level 3 if I need to get out of a jam, whether that be a dog chasing me, busy road I need to get done with, or racing against darkness. I am a tall rider and weigh 220, and I haul another 15-20 lbs of junk typically. A rack, 3 water bottles, tools, spares, clothing layers, snacks, all add up. So my total weight on the bike is 240 lbs. I don't want to risk not having what I need to fix the bike or not having the layers if I get stuck somewhere remote.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I have no clue about numbers. I have a 10 years old 10$ watch, an 11 year old laptop.
At 140 pounds i might drain a 500Wh in 2 hrs these are like twice a year.
Usually i am good for 4-5 hours. At 64 that is enough for me.
I drink before and after riding, i never carry liquid.
Without a car i pedal to the trails than back home.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
I have no clue about numbers. I have a 10 years old 10$ watch, an 11 year old laptop.
At 140 pounds i might drain a 500Wh in 2 hrs these are like twice a year.
Usually i am good for 4-5 hours. At 64 that is enough for me.
I drink before and after riding, i never carry liquid.
Without a car i pedal to the trails than back home.
Yeah, I am 64 too. But the rides go till either total battery or body failure. Ironically, the battery gives out first. I hope to keep it that way. On this one the batteries gave out 1/2 mile from our cars. This was probably due to my tuning settings getting reset to full power on levels 1 and 2, rather than the mid setting, and the fact that it was below freezing all day. No idea why they reset, but I noticed it at the end of the ride. I keep the bikes toasty warm till seconds before we unload them from the van and start riding. Neoprene battery/tube covers coming soon. Berkshires seemed dreamlike on account of that frostin. - Malcolm Stitt's 44.3 mi mountain bike ride

Cory S

Aug 24, 2020
Bradford NH
My 2021 E+1 Stance has been flawless after 690 miles. For the price, I don't believe there's a nicer combination out there. The 625wh battery lasts forever, and the suspension is perfect for average riding in most situations.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
My 2021 E+1 Stance has been flawless after 690 miles. For the price, I don't believe there's a nicer combination out there. The 625wh battery lasts forever, and the suspension is perfect for average riding in most situations.
This is why ppl are asking for the app to be fixed. They e got a great platform for the money. That’s why many of us bought the bikes. Doing the app right is a matter of vision and management. It would cost them no extra money. Note that a forced firmware update in order to use the app while away on a bike vacation means many of us will not use the app at all during that period.

Cory S

Aug 24, 2020
Bradford NH
This is why ppl are asking for the app to be fixed. They e got a great platform for the money. That’s why many of us bought the bikes. Doing the app right is a matter of vision and management. It would cost them no extra money. Note that a forced firmware update in order to use the app while away on a bike vacation means many of us will not use the app at all during that period.
I don’t have an issue with the RideControl app. It updates successfully every time, and works fine for tracking equipment info and custom power settings.

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
malc101 said:

I don’t have an issue with the RideControl app. It updates successfully every time, and works fine for tracking equipment info and custom power settings.

The issue isn't the update, it works fairly well. The issue is one of if you are out on a trip and you have cell service but no internet your app on your phone gets updated (or app got updated while at home, but you leave first thing in the morning), but you can't update the bike without internet so now you are stuck and can't use the app. I rarely use the app, but one day I was out riding and was getting low on battery and wanted to check the percent. I started up the app and had this exact issue. It would be nice if a new version of the app, knew how to talk to an older version of the bike firmware. At least 1 or 2 versions back.

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca

The comparison I did was same bike (though different gear ratios)/same motor. My point was my friend is more fit and uses less power. I am less fit, heavier and use more power. And we get back with similar levels. So, someone trying to decide between the two would get more millage out of the Stance E1 vs. Stance E2. Once you start comparing different brands/motors/etc... you aren't comparing apples to apples anymore.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
The comparison I did was same bike (though different gear ratios)/same motor. My point was my friend is more fit and uses less power. I am less fit, heavier and use more power. And we get back with similar levels. So, someone trying to decide between the two would get more millage out of the Stance E1 vs. Stance E2. Once you start comparing different brands/motors/etc... you aren't comparing apples to apples anymore.
Both use Yamaha motors and are reasonably similar bikes. I alternate between them and feel about the same at the end of a ride. What I’d like to know is the watt hours delivered to the motor for both bikes. The 625wh and 500wh capacity batteries may or may not deliver that full capacity to the motor depending upon battery protection.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Here in Canada only 1 Stance E+ is available it comes with a 500Wh. There are many factors, obviously the weight of the rider the heavier will drain more and possibly a lot more if there is a lot of climbing., also
- gear selection
- cadence
- pressure on pedals, etc...
with 6 sensors it is tough to do an honest comparaison.
My suggestions to increase range are use gears like any normal bike,
- do not use tires that offer more grip than needed
- do not carry liquid just drink after the ride
- use proper PSI for the situation
- stay away from auto mode
- get used to use levels 2, 3 and 4.
Maybe when it needs to be replaced a smaller front sproket will help.
Why not stay away from the 11 teeth?

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Here in Canada only 1 Stance E+ is available it comes with a 500Wh. There are many factors, obviously the weight of the rider the heavier will drain more and possibly a lot more if there is a lot of climbing., also
- gear selection
- cadence
- pressure on pedals, etc...
with 6 sensors it is tough to do an honest comparaison.
My suggestions to increase range are use gears like any normal bike,
- do not use tires that offer more grip than needed
- do not carry liquid just drink after the ride
- use proper PSI for the situation
- stay away from auto mode
- get used to use levels 2, 3 and 4.
Maybe when it needs to be replaced a smaller front sproket will help.
Why not stay away from the 11 teeth?
Yep. I watch many of those parameters while riding a Levo. It provides good feedback to train me to ride efficiently on that bike and other bikes. . The BLEvo and Mission control apps provide extensive information to the rider in real time. Watching the effect of cadence vs instantaneous power is very informative, as is the human wattage to motor wattage ratio.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Yep. I watch many of those parameters while riding a Levo. It provides good feedback to train me to ride efficiently on that bike and other bikes. . The BLEvo and Mission control apps provide extensive information to the rider in real time. Watching the effect of cadence vs instantaneous power is very informative, as is the human wattage to motor wattage ratio.
And the reported average wattage via ride control on my trance is like 50 watts. That is off by around 400 percent whether it is showing human power or motor power. Human power is typically 150-200watts measured with Garmin pedals, and based on a 3 hour drain down of the battery, that would be 200-250 watts average motor wattage, not 50. 50 watts average would allow me to ride for 12.5 hours.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
What about updates?? I do not have a phone so i got my new 2021 Stance E+2 in november and i guess there have been updates.
With the difficulties of supply i got it from a shop 20kms away. Without a car i could not realy go there with the snow.
Should i go and ask them to do my updates? From time to time i read some updates are bugged.
My bike rides fine, should i just forget about updates?
Can i ask to get my health battery? Is it free?
Is it free to ask how many kms?
With all the customers spring rush i try not to ask too much from my local shop since they could not
order me one and i had to buy it elsewhere.
I hope yours is fine, i only changed the chain on mine and soon i will have to put a new one.
Thanks.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
What about updates?? I do not have a phone so i got my new 2021 Stance E+2 in november and i guess there have been updates.
With the difficulties of supply i got it from a shop 20kms away. Without a car i could not realy go there with the snow.
Should i go and ask them to do my updates? From time to time i read some updates are bugged.
My bike rides fine, should i just forget about updates?
Can i ask to get my health battery? Is it free?
Is it free to ask how many kms?
With all the customers spring rush i try not to ask too much from my local shop since they could not
order me one and i had to buy it elsewhere.
I hope yours is fine, i only changed the chain on mine and soon i will have to put a new one.
Thanks.
I'd be surprised if the LBS wanted to charge you to update a bike under warranty. Give them a call and see what they say. Yes, they could tell you the total mileage and battery health.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
RANGE TEST My StanceE+2 2021 is 6 months old, 500Wh. I weight 140 pounds.
Starting with a filled battery, on 5 lights level, i did 33kms in 70 minutes when i lost
my second light so i only had 1 light left of battery charge.
Here in Quebec the assist cuts at 32km/h.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
RANGE TEST My StanceE+2 2021 is 6 months old, 500Wh. I weight 140 pounds.
Starting with a filled battery, on 5 lights level, i did 33kms in 70 minutes when i lost
my second light so i only had 1 light left of battery charge.
Here in Quebec the assist cuts at 32km/h.
When you say "Starting with 5 light level", does that mean battery, or assist level?
I have the same bike. I am 230lbs. I am usually in assist level 2, and get approx 1km per battery percentage.
So, I might get around 70 - 80km on a full charge riding a mix of gravel/dirt/road.
If I were to use the max assist level (5) then I'm sure I'd get similar results as you.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
When you say "Starting with 5 light level", does that mean battery, or assist level?
I have the same bike. I am 230lbs. I am usually in assist level 2, and get approx 1km per battery percentage.
So, I might get around 70 - 80km on a full charge riding a mix of gravel/dirt/road.
If I were to use the max assist level (5) then I'm sure I'd get similar results as you.
Filled battery meant 5 lights for energy left.
I mentioned 5 lights for the level of assist.
Usually i mix 2-4 lights for the assistance level.
It was just to be able to compare let say maybe different tyres will improve my range,
maybe in 6 months my range potential will start to be a little less.
I started to read the paper manual and they suggest we occasionnally empty completely
our battery so i did that 2 days ago and will do it every month.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
I don't think we can talk about range without referencing elevation and the environment. I live in Wellington which is New Zealand's "Windy City", it's also a town built on the hills. As an example my normal ride is a 1hr 50m loop from home, but can be 10m longer, I climb 3 big hills on this route and can finish on anything from 10-15% battery remaining (Garmin Edge 830) down to the flashing red at 1% depending on headwinds. The route is 34km and elevation climbed is 750m. My time and battery usage can vary a lot depending on the headwind, typically here we experience wind speeds of 20-45 km/hr. I have finished with a whopping 20% on the rare days of no wind.

As a comparison one of my other favourite rides is relatively flat 40km ride with only a 130m elevation climb taking around 1hr 30m, this is on a mixture of gravel and tarmac paths alongside the Hutt River. I'm usually able to do this with 20-30% battery remaining dependant wind speed.

I usually ride using assist levels of 2-3 with only the occasional 4 on a steep hill section and never 5. I'm not a small guy at 110kg (240lbs). One of the things that definitely effects battery usage in maintaining a high cadence.

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 7.13.29 AM.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles