Play in Rail 7 dropper post.

aimage

Jul 8, 2021
New Zealand
I have a dropper post from a Rail 5 or 7 installed on my Rail 9. My LBS swapped it as the OEM one in my new 9 was too long but I was led to believe at the time it was the same product, just shorter from a M frame. As I know now, it's not the same, huge price difference. So here we are 200km on the clock and the dropper post has some lateral play. Is this an easy fix or back for another warranty issue? Already had motor replaced and battery fly out. Sigh...

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
It seems all Bontrager droppers develop this rotational play after a few months - mine did but two years later it still works fine. I only really notice it when off the bike and not when riding.

Mitch@Trek

Official Trek
TREK
Dec 30, 2020
Waterloo, WI
A small amount of play is normal in most posts. But should it worsen, there are replacement parts to tighten it up. I'd check to make sure your post is a Bontrager post or a TransX post though - the Bontrager posts we make are well above the TransX from personal experience.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
My 2021 Rail 7 has some play developing in it. Pretty noticeable although it does work OK. Would like to replace with something that has more drop than 130mm. Thinking OneUp 180.

Last edited:

Scott from Aus

Dec 15, 2021
Aus
My 22 Rail 9 has a few mm back and forth play, and also an annoying rattle while seated riding over bumps. When standing it doesn't do it. I initially blamed the lock mechanism.

Cummins0867

Dec 23, 2020
New Hampsire
My 2021 Rail 5 purchased February 25th 2021 has had play in it after a few miles. I brought it to the attention of my LBS and they don't want to do anything about it. It seems to be getting worse now with over 1000 miles on it...it doesn't really seem to effect my riding only really notice when not riding. I have brought it to their attention 2-3 more times but they still refuse to do anything and only say it's the same on all of them. Not sure what my options are now except purchasing a new one out of pocket.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles