'Pinging' front brake disc

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Took the bike out for ride last night. It was only a short but fairly aggressive ride (for me at least), coming home I noticed the front disc making an odd 'pinging' sound.

It didn't affect the performance and the sound would disappear if I used the front brake, so I assume this is loose pads, collecting with the disc?

The disc looks straight and once I stopped, gave the disc a quick once over, felt tight and not overly hot?

Any ideas???????

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
or the spring. or debris or a damaged disc etc.

simply look between the caliper/pads while slowly spinning the wheel/disc to see/find what's causing it.

oh... and check for an uncentred/sticky piston if there's nothing obviously contacting the disc and the rotor is pretty straight.

Last edited:

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
or the spring. or debris or a damaged disc etc.

simply look between the caliper/pads while slowly spinning the wheel/disc to see/find what's causing it.

oh... and check for an uncentred/sticky piston if there's nothing obviously contacting the disc and the rotor is pretty straight.

Pinging definitely sounds like it could be spring related.

I did do a quick visual check (check if the disc is warped, pad collecting the disc etc.) with no obvious result. Looks like it might be a strip down, clean and reassemble, check bolt tightness.

M

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Do a proper visual check. listen too.
I find putting a piece of white A4 paper below the caliper (but out of the way of the rotor) helps to see trueness and if anything is touching where it shouldn't.
if the noise is happening at the exact same point every time you turn the wheel it's not something that's not tight. it's something "pinging" as the disc passes the caliper/pads/spring

one of these is a really handy little tool for getting rid of pings quickly (and aligning the caliper and evening out/centering piston advance)

Birzman Clam Disc Brake Measurer | Tredz Bikes

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
I'm pretty heavy on the brakes (i like to enjoy the scenery going past really slowly) and mostly do very hilly rides. I probably get about 500-600 miles out of a pair of brake pads. Commuting on the mostly-flat, you'd get a lot further.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
I'm pretty heavy on the brakes (i like to enjoy the scenery going past really slowly) and mostly do very hilly rides. I probably get about 500-600 miles out of a pair of brake pads. Commuting on the mostly-flat, you'd get a lot further.
Thanks,

I'm less than a couple of hundred miles in, but I guess it can't hurt to take them out and take a look.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You don't need to remove your pads to assess wear. it's easier to see when the wheel is out though (no disc between the pads)

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
This can happen if your bike is set up for chamfered pads and you put flat pads in. On some brake set-ups the pads are chamfered or ground away slightly on the edges, so that once the pad has worn away this chamfer it makes a pinging noise as the pad just starts catching the disc 'spokes'. It's an early warning system if you like.
If you put non chamfered pads in, you will get this noise happen quite quickly and normally starts under hard braking.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
This can happen if your bike is set up for chamfered pads and you put flat pads in. On some brake set-ups the pads are chamfered or ground away slightly on the edges, so that once the pad has worn away this chamfer it makes a pinging noise as the pad just starts catching the disc 'spokes'. It's an early warning system if you like.
If you put non chamfered pads in, you will get this noise happen quite quickly and normally starts under hard braking.
It's all standard stuff that came with the bike. Rode it again today, same thing but i'm now not sure if it's front or rear. Still can't see anything obvious, might try the LBS

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles