Levo SL Gen 1 Pike ultimate or Lyrik ultimate on the SL??

Twvandoren

Dec 5, 2020
USA
Pike Ultimate at $899 is way over priced. Low $700 is a good price. For the US I know a shop where to get one for $725 shipped and maybe even a Lyrik as well.

For topic, I’m running a Pike on my 27# Ripley and no flex is felt and I weigh 190lbs. For the SL and the added 12-13 pounds I would no doubt go Lyrik for my riding style. My Pike is buttery smooth running a 2020 air shaft, but there is a different feel to the fork with the newest 2021 air shaft, so there’s that to consider as well.
I agree with the comment on 2021 air shaft vs. 2020. I got a leftover 2020 Pike and upgraded it to the 2021 air shaft. Then I “downgraded” back to the 2020 air shaft, which I think is smoother over the roots while still having plenty of support for the drops. I don’t know what Rockshox engineers were thinking with the 2021 air shaft - to me the Pike with that shaft performed very similarly to the Fox Rhythm 34 I took off my SL, which is a really nice fork, but is not the last word in suppleness (supplicity?).

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I've heard similar from others that have used the Lyrik and Pike that they prefer the Lyrik. My only question is are the differences much less with the 2021 model (I doubt many have direct knowledge of the 2021) since they both have the 2.1 damper, RC2 and same Debonaire updates too. Seems like with similar travels, 150mm, they might be very close and both models had the 2021 goal of reducing hand and arm fatigue.

Yes only 70g is not much for sure. Did you stick with 51mm offset too? My 2018 Rhythm 34 weighs 1865g with the axle.

My Fox 34 Performance was 1926g, and the Lyric is 1998g... so +72g. Looks like it’ll be more like +123g for the Rhythm to Lyric.

My Pike is a 2018 model, and my Lyric is 2020, so maybe that’s part of the difference.
I upgraded the Lyric to the 2021 damper a few months ago which made it even better.

I went for 160mm, with the 51mm offset. I really like it, but I haven’t used the 44mm, so can’t comment on the difference.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
My Fox 34 Performance was 1926g, and the Lyric is 1998g... so +72g. Looks like it’ll be more like +123g for the Rhythm to Lyric.

My Pike is a 2018 model, and my Lyric is 2020, so maybe that’s part of the difference.
I upgraded the Lyric to the 2021 damper a few months ago which made it even better.

I went for 160mm, with the 51mm offset. I really like it, but I haven’t used the 44mm, so can’t comment on the difference.
Did you feel that slow turning was OK with the 160mm? I assume you went from 150mm? I found a good deal on the 2021 Lyric but still on the fence about getting it. Considering the RUNT cartridge as a less expensive option. Just checked my forks and noticed I had the compression damping set to 16 clicks!!!! Don't know how I screwed that up. I'm going to retry it today with maybe 4-6 clicks from open before I totally dump my Fox forks. 30% sag is only 50psi. I weight 147lbs but add 13 lbs with armor, gear and a DIY 250 wh range extender. My Jam2 is about 45.5 lbs at this point without the range extender. No volume spacers.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Essentially the Pike is a trail fork and the Lyric an Enduro Fork. I had the Pike on a Cube Stereo ( analogue) and it was fine, easy to set up and very reliable. That bike weighed 13kg though and was 27.5. I have the Lyric Ultimate on my Levo, 24kg 29er.........brilliant fork, matched only in my experience by the Fox 38.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I've tried the Lyric, Pike, Fox 38 and 36 and have found them all lacking in small bump sensitivity compared to my 2005 Anniversary Marzocchi Z1Bomber's on my 26 inch hardtail! So in the quest for less pain in my arthritic shoulder I bunged a Luftcappe coil conversion in the 36's, well jigger me sideways what a difference, plush as a plush thing and adjustable ramp up too. If you're a biffer like me I would highly recommend.

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
My 160mm Lyric Ultimate added 70g over the Fox 34 Performace that came on the SL Expert. Not nearly as much as I was expecting, but I was happy to add a little bit of weight for a significantly better fork.
I have a Pike on my Stumpjumper, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it... but I’d had a Lyric Ultimate on the Trek Rail I was riding, and loved how it performed.
I dont think that’s possible unless your Lyrik has a coil kit. I’ve had two Rhythm forks. The 1st I replaced with a Fox 36... no weight change. My new bike’s Rhythm 34 was the Exact same weight, well, within 10 grams, as my new 2020 Lyrik.
The specs from the manufacturer’s will concur..
Oops no they wont ;)

Last edited:

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I dont think that’s possible unless your Lyrik has a coil kit. I’ve had two Rhythm forks. The 1st I replaced with a Fox 36... no weight change. My new bike’s Rhythm 34 was the Exact same weight, well, within 10 grams, as my new 2020 Lyrik.
The specs from the manufacturer’s will concur
My Rhythm 34 29, 150mm travel is 1865g with the axle. mtb-mag weighed the 2021 (no real weight difference from 2020) Lyrik Ultimate, 7.5" steerer, 160mm travel, 29" and it was 2007g. Here is a link to a youtube video weighing a Rhythm right at 1865g as well: Everything you need to know about the Fox Rhythm 34 Fork 29 / 27.5+ Boost Fork - YouTube

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
The specs from the manufacturer’s will concur..
Oops no they wont ;)

Here’s both of mine on the scales. I work for a calibration company, so had my scales calibrated. At 2000g, they are 8g high, so that needs to be taken off the reading... so 1998 for the Lyric.

2DD6740E-4EBC-4AF1-9B51-EDA5195F8FD9.jpeg

1CB6EC5F-CD2B-4672-901D-CD626C78B53F.jpeg

Last edited:

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Here’s both of mine on the scales. I work for a calibration company, so had my scales calibrated. At 2000g, they are 8g high, so that needs to be taken off the reading... so 1998 for the Lyric.
Yes, 66g difference with that correction. I'm not sure why my 2018 Fox 34, 29", 150mm is 1885g. Mine is just the garden variety Rhythm 27.5+/29" available in 2018. My steerer tube is even fairly long at 7 3/4". I think I see the word "Performance" version on yours. If that is so maybe that's where the 47g extra grams are between your Rhythm and mine? Just curious and nice to see the confirmation of 2006g for the Lyrick. Adding 121g to my Jam2 is not that much. I think my CF Exile wheel is somewhat heavy for CF and I'm already considering that CF wheels might play a big roll in the stiff ride I'm getting. They were free though and seem to hold up to a lot of abuse, except for the standard aluminum freewheel cassette driver that gouges a lot over time. I am trying to order the 2021 Lyrik Ultimate from my source now because it's obviously going to play the biggest role in reducing harshness and aiding control. Thanks

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Yes, 66g difference with that correction. I'm not sure why my 2018 Fox 34, 29", 150mm is 1885g. Mine is just the garden variety Rhythm 27.5+/29" available in 2018. My steerer tube is even fairly long at 7 3/4". I think I see the word "Performance" version on yours. If that is so maybe that's where the 47g extra grams are between your Rhythm and mine? Just curious and nice to see the confirmation of 2006g for the Lyrick. Adding 121g to my Jam2 is not that much. I think my CF Exile wheel is somewhat heavy for CF and I'm already considering that CF wheels might play a big roll in the stiff ride I'm getting. They were free though and seem to hold up to a lot of abuse, except for the standard aluminum freewheel cassette driver that gouges a lot over time. I am trying to order the 2021 Lyrik Ultimate from my source now because it's obviously going to play the biggest role in reducing harshness and aiding control. Thanks

You have to take 8g off both as they’re both near the 2000g point.
The scales were 7g high at 1750g, so the likelihood would be that they’re about 7.5 - 8g high at about 1932g.

Mine are off the SL Expert, so are the ‘Performance’ version rather than the Rhythm.

Personally, I was surprised at how little the difference was, after everyone saying Specialized fitted the 34’s as they were lightweight forks.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
You have to take 8g off both as they’re both near the 2000g point.
The scales were 7g high at 1750g, so the likelihood would be that they’re about 7.5 - 8g high at about 1932g.

Mine are off the SL Expert, so are the ‘Performance’ version rather than the Rhythm.

Personally, I was surprised at how little the difference was, after everyone saying Specialized fitted the 34’s as they were lightweight forks.
Well I have a new Lyrick Ultimate on the way for $815. total. I did not go for longer travel than 150mm (can always go to 160mm for $42.) since stand over height on the jam2 is already a bit much with the mods I've done (2.6" tire back, 29"x2.6 front). And I did stick with 51mm offset since I'm used to that and like it as is. I ordered the black one not red for my black jam2 carbon bike. I rode my Rhythm pretty hard yesterday and encounters lots of rough rocks that made me believe it will never be called plush, lol.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Sweet! I was definitely wrong
Yes but at maybe 125g or so not enough to worry about in exchange for a much better fork. Now I'm anxiously awaiting mine, lol. I guess I'll kept my Rhythm for when I sell the Focus and buy something like an SL so I can move the good forks over to that new bike.

My new Lyrik Ultimate arrived and I cut the steerer tube, etc and installed it today, 1/19/21. It's only about 50g more than the 34 Rhythm it replaced not worth even worrying about given the increased stiffness and performance. But I forgot to order the disk brake adaptor for 180 to 203mm. The Fox 34 was 160 to 203mm on the Focus. And the post office is taking a full week to deliver it from Jenson which is only 2 hrs away from me, lol I could have driven to pick it up but since we are now getting rain and high winds I'll take few days off and wait. I plan to keep the old fork so that when I do upgrade to an SL in a year or so I'll have the Lyrik available for it.

Last edited:

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I went with the Lyric ultimate in 160mm 42mm offset and WOW, what an upgrade!
I’ve moved from a focus jam2 to an expert carbon 2021-2 sl. Since I’ve come to love my lyric ultimate I replaced the fox 36 grip2 fork with it after riding the with the fox a bit. I think the lyric is slightly more plush and on a par with the control of the grip2 fox 36. I also swapped out the dpx2 for my Dvo topaz t3. I think I saved maybe 200g or so with the changes, no toolkit in the steerer tube and the Dvo is 100+g lighter than the dpx2. I think as far as I’m able to determine the handling is similar with these changes and bike is about 7-10 lbs lighter than the focus was and very nimble compared to the Focus. Since it’s my bucket list bike at my age of 73 I even bought the Spec control carbon wheels. Like guitars, never say “last” bike but it could be. I had to add some weight with the heavy Selle TRK saddle but after trying so many saddles I think I finally found one that was appreciably better for comfort.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles