Levo SL Gen 1 Pike ultimate or Lyrik ultimate on the SL??

Jim_bo

May 9, 2020
Las Vegas
I’ve seen a lot of people say they were upgrading the Fox 34 on the SL to a Lyrik ultimate. Has anyone upgraded to the pike ultimate. And why would you choose one over the other?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Pike Ultimate.

I thought Lyrik was a bit overkill for riding I do on this, and was a bit heavier.

Pretty sure the damper is the same as the 2020 Lyrik (Charger 2.1) but Lyrik will have some extra bulk for stiffness.

15D3E645-EF55-4939-9FED-70465D70B523.jpeg

15D3E645-EF55-4939-9FED-70465D70B523.jpeg

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
If your trails are super smooth the pike could be fine. But if your riding rough terrain there really isn't much reason to shave a few grams and sacrifice frame integrity on an assisted bike even an SL.... Unless your riding it with the power off going uphill often....Lyric . - my 2 cents

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
If your trails are super smooth the pike could be fine. But if your riding rough terrain there really isn't much reason to shave a few grams and sacrifice frame integrity on an assisted bike even an SL.... Unless your riding it with the power off going uphill often....Lyric . - my 2 cents
How rough we talking? Pike is fine for almost everything in South of England I reckon!

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
Lyrik. Why mess around. and look at how perfectly the Lyrik crown mates up to the bottom of the head tube!

4B02B47E-25AB-4077-88A6-9D5A0A5DBF9F.jpeg

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I find the Pike floppy. Even if it's a perfectly capable fork, it's annoying to look down and see the thing twitching forwards and backwards. Much prefer the Lyrik. I think a 36 would be a good choice too, slightly lighter than the Lyrik. But RockShox did a REALLY good job on Charger 2.1, the Lyrik is a great fork.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I'm going thru a similar decision process on my 2018 Jam2 C. It came with Fox Rhythm 34, 140mm travel which I changed to 150mm. I can't tell if it's "floppy" but I'm sure it is, at least with someone heavier than me at 145 lbs and on really brutal downhills. But I would like to go with something about the same weight as the Fox 34 if possible. Lifting a 55 lb ebike into the bike carrier is a non-starter for someone approaching 72, lol. I ride flow type trails, some moderate rocky rutted downhills and lots of rougher up hills. But the Fox is so harsh no matter how it's tuned on really rough washboard stuff and I've read about BOTH the Lyrik and Pike being very plush in the 2021 models and much easier on wrists, hands, arms, etc. But if the Lyrik is way better I'm ready to add 150g or so but if the Pike is very good at 150mm and 51mm offset then that might be the way I should go. I've had a dealer tell me that the Pike will NEVER be as plush as the Lyrik and not sure if he's saying that because the Lyrik can have travel 160mm and up or if both are 2021 models and 150mm the Lyrik is still way better. I know it's got to be more rigid but with a 45 lbs ebike and like 145 lb rider the Pike might be perfect. So I'm sitting here on the fence afraid to order the wrong $900.+ fork, lol. Only $50. between the two Ultimate versions.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Pike Ultimate.

I thought Lyrik was a bit overkill for riding I do on this, and was a bit heavier.

Pretty sure the damper is the same as the 2020 Lyrik (Charger 2.1) but Lyrik will have some extra bulk for stiffness.

View attachment 31357

View attachment 31357
Nice SL. I'm at least 14-19 kg lighter than you (66kg no gear and 70kg with) on a bike that might be 3-4 kgs heavier than your bike so maybe the Pike Ultimate 2021 would work well for me. I think I saw you had a Lyrik Ultimate on another bike? How do the two compare? I consider myself and my Jam2 a trail bike and not an Enduro bike and so I don't think I want to go any higher than 150mm. I ride a lot of slow uphill and downhill switchbacks, flow trails and do not consider myself an even moderately fast downhiller. I just want something a lot less harsh then my Fox 34 Rhythm fork for trail riding 50-70 miles a week. Thanks

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I installed a Diaz Suspension Runt cartridge in Kenovo Marzocchi and it helped really much. The same cartridge also applies to Rhythm.
Lot more and sensitive fork now and no bottom-out problems.

I'm telling this, because Rhythm is not a bad fork, just too harsh.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm 92kg in my riding gear. I have a Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE. It came with a 150mm travel Rockshox Revelation RC with the Motion Control Damper and the Debonair air spring. I swapped out the MoCo damper and fitted the Charger 2.1 damper (RCT3) with PUSH ultra low friction wiper seals. That pretty much converts it to a Pike Ultimate.

I have never noticed the fork moving about, or felt it moving. I don't do big jumps and I no longer ride over hero-sized rocks. I've had Pikes before, both on my previous analogue bikes. one was a Whyte T130C RS and the other was a YT Capra (160 travel). I bought the Capra for the hero stuff and I still never noticed any fork twitching, but that maybe because I wasn't hero enough to go faster.

I don't doubt that the Lyrik is a more robust fork than the Pike, but how robust do you need? If you are a light rider or just a steady one, then the Pike will be just the job. It sure has been for me. :)

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
I ride flow type trails, some moderate rocky rutted downhills and lots of rougher up hills. But the Fox is so harsh no matter how it's tuned on really rough washboard stuff
I was in the same boat, thinking about a lyrik or pike as the 34 was beating up my arms. Then i took out the volume spacers and it was way better

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I was in the same boat, thinking about a lyrik or pike as the 34 was beating up my arms. Then i took out the volume spacers and it was way better
LOL, yes I did exactly the same thing. I had the spacers in to help some with mid travel but took all of them out and only have to run 50 psi to get 20% sag but still about 20mm left from 150mm travel. It's still a harsh at times and can really give my wrists and forearms a workout. But shoulders take a beating too. Both my residual issues from collar bone break/ribs/shoulder blade/frozen shoulder and some impingment from too much digging on a decomposing granite hill have left my shoulders susceptible to a harsh fork.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I'm 92kg in my riding gear. I have a Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE. It came with a 150mm travel Rockshox Revelation RC with the Motion Control Damper and the Debonair air spring. I swapped out the MoCo damper and fitted the Charger 2.1 damper (RCT3) with PUSH ultra low friction wiper seals. That pretty much converts it to a Pike Ultimate.

I have never noticed the fork moving about, or felt it moving. I don't do big jumps and I no longer ride over hero-sized rocks. I've had Pikes before, both on my previous analogue bikes. one was a Whyte T130C RS and the other was a YT Capra (160 travel). I bought the Capra for the hero stuff and I still never noticed any fork twitching, but that maybe because I wasn't hero enough to go faster.

I don't doubt that the Lyrik is a more robust fork than the Pike, but how robust do you need? If you are a light rider or just a steady one, then the Pike will be just the job. It sure has been for me. :)
Good information as always from you Steve, lol. I just can't see adding almost 200g to the front end of a light bike. My new sqlab's active saddle just added 50g or more but the 175mm dropper oddly saved 30g or so. When you start adding 50-100g for each better component they start to add up quickly and suddenly you have a 22-23+kg+ bike instead of 20+kg and it's not as easy to lift into the bike rack anymore, lol. And I suspect we are at similar riding levels as well. No huge jumps for me or charging downhill where the smallest mistake can lead to a trip to the ER, lol. I do still push to improve all the time but if something scares me then it means I probably don't have the skills/strength or confidence to tackle that section. I used to charge ahead before my accident two years ago. At 71 I'm much wiser now and I still go fast enough to keep up on most sections with the younger crowd that thinks they invulnerable.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone back and forth on Pike Ultimate 150mm, Lyrik Ultimate 150mm, Lyrik Ultimate 160mm, 51mm offset, 44mm offset and then back to the Pike again, lol. Indecision is driving me crazy. There is one Pike Ultimate, black, 150mm, 51mm offset available right now for $899. and if I wait too long it will be gone. All other options are on back order. I did find and order the torque caps for my Exile CF wheels. I might keep the Fox forks for the day when I sell my Jam2 and buy a new bike, especially if I like the Pike Ultimate forks.

I just want a fork that doesn't hammer my arms so much and doesn't add weight to the front end so I guess that is a Pike Ultimate according to everything I've read and learned.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Good information as always from you Steve, lol. I just can't see adding almost 200g to the front end of a light bike. My new sqlab's active saddle just added 50g or more but the 175mm dropper oddly saved 30g or so. When you start adding 50-100g for each better component they start to add up quickly and suddenly you have a 22-23+kg+ bike instead of 20+kg and it's not as easy to lift into the bike rack anymore, lol. And I suspect we are at similar riding levels as well. No huge jumps for me or charging downhill where the smallest mistake can lead to a trip to the ER, lol. I do still push to improve all the time but if something scares me then it means I probably don't have the skills/strength or confidence to tackle that section. I used to charge ahead before my accident two years ago. At 71 I'm much wiser now and I still go fast enough to keep up on most sections with the younger crowd that thinks they invulnerable.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone back and forth on Pike Ultimate 150mm, Lyrik Ultimate 150mm, Lyrik Ultimate 160mm, 51mm offset, 44mm offset and then back to the Pike again, lol. Indecision is driving me crazy. There is one Pike Ultimate, black, 150mm, 51mm offset available right now for $899. and if I wait too long it will be gone. All other options are on back order. I did find and order the torque caps for my Exile CF wheels. I might keep the Fox forks for the day when I sell my Jam2 and buy a new bike, especially if I like the Pike Ultimate forks.

I just want a fork that doesn't hammer my arms so much and doesn't add weight to the front end so I guess that is a Pike Ultimate according to everything I've read and learned.

My 160mm Lyric Ultimate added 70g over the Fox 34 Performace that came on the SL Expert. Not nearly as much as I was expecting, but I was happy to add a little bit of weight for a significantly better fork.
I have a Pike on my Stumpjumper, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it... but I’d had a Lyric Ultimate on the Trek Rail I was riding, and loved how it performed.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I installed a Diaz Suspension Runt cartridge in Kenovo Marzocchi and it helped really much. The same cartridge also applies to Rhythm.
Lot more and sensitive fork now and no bottom-out problems.

I'm telling this, because Rhythm is not a bad fork, just too harsh.
Never heard of this so did some reading and the reviews are very positive. $200. and $170. more for them to re-valve the damper. They also will send out a free shim kit with the $200. order so you can do that yourself. Interesting option. It does say that it improves the small bump (washboard) harshness a lot, even on Pike and Lyrik forks. This is a lot less than $950. for the Pike with tax, lol. Now you've thrown a crow bar into my decision making process, lol....thanks...I think.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal

Pike Ultimate at $899 is way over priced. Low $700 is a good price. For the US I know a shop where to get one for $725 shipped and maybe even a Lyrik as well.

For topic, I’m running a Pike on my 27# Ripley and no flex is felt and I weigh 190lbs. For the SL and the added 12-13 pounds I would no doubt go Lyrik for my riding style. My Pike is buttery smooth running a 2020 air shaft, but there is a different feel to the fork with the newest 2021 air shaft, so there’s that to consider as well.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Pike Ultimate at $899 is way over priced. Low $700 is a good price. For the US I know a shop where to get one for $725 shipped and maybe even a Lyrik as well.

For topic, I’m running a Pike on my 27# Ripley and no flex is felt and I weigh 190lbs. For the SL and the added 12-13 pounds I would no doubt go Lyrik for my riding style. My Pike is buttery smooth running a 2020 air shaft, but there is a different feel to the fork with the newest 2021 air shaft, so there’s that to consider as well.
Can you tell me where I can get the 2021 for $725. ...US here also. Thanks

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
I was going Pike-Lyrik-Pike-Lyrik-Pike-Lyrik and thought sod-it, and got an Ohlins RXF36 coil. Nice but pricey.

SL, 92kg rider by the way. Also got a DHX2 on the back.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
LOL, yes I did exactly the same thing. I had the spacers in to help some with mid travel but took all of them out and only have to run 50 psi to get 20% sag but still about 20mm left from 150mm travel. It's still a harsh at times and can really give my wrists and forearms a workout. But shoulders take a beating too. Both my residual issues from collar bone break/ribs/shoulder blade/frozen shoulder and some impingment from too much digging on a decomposing granite hill have left my shoulders susceptible to a harsh fork.
If it is still harsh at times, why not try more %sag? (I ride with 30%)
If you then use up too much travel, add back a spacer or two.
Make the best of your fork (cheaply) before spending loads of dosh on replacing it. :)

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
If it is still harsh at times, why not try more %sag? (I ride with 30%)
If you then use up too much travel, add back a spacer or two.
Make the best of your fork (cheaply) before spending loads of dosh on replacing it. :)
Yes I tried going in that direction for a bit and ended up still being very harsh and too saggy initially. I'm back to no volume spacers and 20% sag which is about as good as it gets for my weight, etc.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Thanks at least I'm not alone in my craziness, lol.
It could be worse, you could be going back and forth on which 10k build to buy or not buy, or just waiting to see what else comes out within the next six months. Not to mention the different color choices.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
It could be worse, you could be going back and forth on which 10k build to buy or not buy, or just waiting to see what else comes out within the next six months. Not to mention the different color choices.
Yeah pretty happy with the Focus for now with all the upgrades I've done. My range extender takes the load off of my native battery so it will last a bit longer. Parts are tough to find for the Focus in the states since they left. The SL Specialize is tempting though and a friend bought one and really likes it a lot.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
My 160mm Lyric Ultimate added 70g over the Fox 34 Performace that came on the SL Expert. Not nearly as much as I was expecting, but I was happy to add a little bit of weight for a significantly better fork.
I have a Pike on my Stumpjumper, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it... but I’d had a Lyric Ultimate on the Trek Rail I was riding, and loved how it performed.
I've heard similar from others that have used the Lyrik and Pike that they prefer the Lyrik. My only question is are the differences much less with the 2021 model (I doubt many have direct knowledge of the 2021) since they both have the 2.1 damper, RC2 and same Debonaire updates too. Seems like with similar travels, 150mm, they might be very close and both models had the 2021 goal of reducing hand and arm fatigue.

Yes only 70g is not much for sure. Did you stick with 51mm offset too? My 2018 Rhythm 34 weighs 1865g with the axle.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Never heard of this so did some reading and the reviews are very positive. $200. and $170. more for them to re-valve the damper. They also will send out a free shim kit with the $200. order so you can do that yourself. Interesting option. It does say that it improves the small bump (washboard) harshness a lot, even on Pike and Lyrik forks. This is a lot less than $950. for the Pike with tax, lol. Now you've thrown a crow bar into my decision making process, lol....thanks...I think.
When I move to Fox 36 Factory I transfer that Runt cartridge into it. Go straight if you forks are with the same suspension length.
If you have different lengths, you get a repair kit for 10 bucks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles