Pic of the Day

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Pleasant morning exploring Ilkley Moor today. First time there so just getting our bearings trying to find the trails. Some are just natural trails over moorland, others steep & techy downhill runs. Couldn’t suss out where to climb back up to session certain trails though so got a bit lost really. Also some of the trails were just impossible tech lines that only Chris Akrigg would feel comfortable riding! A lot of hike a bike today :)

E822E3F7-58EE-4683-A6BD-DE6B732FC93E.jpeg

7F3B0386-7672-47E7-A400-F41C2EB24B29.jpeg

656640F1-900B-4865-AE1E-F2FCD90AA043.jpeg

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Another extended loop of Rivington, Winter Hill, Witton Weavers Way, Roddlesworth Woods, Darwen Hill and Jubilee Tower and all the way back again! Just over 26 miles, 4000ft and just shy of 2000kCals... Plenty left in the batteries on the Rise too. I take the extender on these runs as insurance but finished with 30 Eco miles range (16 Trail).

View attachment 89065
Rise at the Pigeon Tower at Rivington with the Blackpool coast (and tower) in the distance...

View attachment 89066
Panoramic shot of Rise from Winter Hill summit with Great Hill on the left and Darwen/Cartridge hills in the centre above the saddle.

View attachment 89067
Winter Hill's northern flank with the San Marino descent just visible as the diagonal line from the main mast, leftwards to the edge just above the trees.

View attachment 89068
Finally they are almost finished after 12 months of having Jubilee Tower covered with scaffolding and tarps. Looks like they've done a half-decent job on the restoration... The spaceship/phallus (*delete as applicable) is back. :love:

The route...
View attachment 89069

Video to follow...
I know you’re Bi-onic……..do you actually switch the Rise on ? 🥴

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
F**k me I thought it was a lanky cat with no tail……. 👀
This guy has been visiting here for a few weeks. He hasn’t put on any weight yet since he’s come down from hibernation but he’s probably about 275lbs. A lanky teenager. His father (500+lbs), has stared me down a few times, stole my backpack once and diverted my ride…whenever he feels like it. He’s big and only moves when he wants to.😎
A 3-point buck and two doe’s cut me off yesterday (fumbled my iPhone/camera). Haven’t been attacked by an owl yet but I’d probably never hear it before it happens. 😉

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Same track within a hundred metres where I saw one maybe six years ago . Had to Google it I thought polecat at first.

I had a Pine Martin cross my path at Glentress last year and I couldn’t quite decide whether it was a Polecat or a Pine Martin either, but was told at the pods’ site later it was likely to be a PM as there’s a breeding programme in the area

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I had a Pine Martin cross my path at Glentress last year and I couldn’t quite decide whether it was a Polecat or a Pine Martin either, but was told at the pods’ site later it was likely to be a PM as there’s a breeding programme in the area
If you look at images online they are easy to identify I thought polecat at first i don't know why .I had binoculars so got a good look and it crossed the track 3 times to get to small burn . It stopped and posed head on and checked me out , too quick for a photo though.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Nice. I think I'm jumping like you. I've noticed me landing behind the seat a few times. The jump looks the same size too. My bike lands well - it just had me wondering.

thats my partner, not me 😀

we tend to hit ramps with the drop technique, i.e. pushing the bike away as you leave the edge, which puts your body weight back naturally

we can hit them with the jump technique too, going ‘light’ and being more upright off the edge, for more height & distance, but the drop technique feels safer and more planted

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
thats my partner, not me 😀

we tend to hit ramps with the drop technique, i.e. pushing the bike away as you leave the edge, which puts your body weight back naturally

we can hit them with the jump technique too, going ‘light’ and being more upright off the edge, for more height & distance, but the drop technique feels safer and more planted
I thought it was a woman, and a good looking one. I erred on the side of caution Tubby - for all I know you could be pretty too :rolleyes:😂

Thanks for the feedback. I do the "throw forward" thing off drops, I didn't think I was doing it on the jump though. I'll have to film myself. I just thought (now) - we could be both pushing the front forward and down to match the angle of landing - my jump is on a bit of a downhill too. I think that's what it is - I remember thinking it's good to feel the bike move under me, and the landings feel good. I just thought I should be more central when hitting the ground.

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Nice. I think I'm jumping like you. I've noticed me landing behind the seat a few times. The jump looks the same size too. My bike lands well - it just had me wondering.

this one is me 😀

7C7E43DF-5635-44CA-8003-D326A82EFCCB.jpeg

You can see Im in the same body position as I used the drop technique to launch off the rock ‘ramp’ in the background to try and clear the rest of the rocks. However, I need more distance as my rear wheel tends to land on the lumpy rock in the middle, so I need to use the jump technique instead

On this one I am using the jump technique, you can see I’m more upright and the front wheel has ‘popped’ from the forks being compressed and rebounding. We were playing a game of ‘clear the stick’ and kept moving it further away each time 😬

We film each other in slo-mo (these are screengrabs from video) to check on technique and see where we’re going wrong and how to improve

9892ED9A-387E-4990-AD54-6CDD6E549F82.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Not much of a view but there’s lots of abandoned trails. I’ve been working on this one since last year. Bridge day.
467BC42D-7C6C-46C3-B9DC-BA53E96839C0.jpeg
C129235C-9D5D-4BD2-B250-7489661E65F7.jpeg
52554F30-A181-4BFC-AB92-79C5DB7526E5.jpeg

Then I had a visitor. Same guy that took my pac, tools and iPhone last year. (All found btw but my pac was destroyed). Roughly the same spot too. Too close to the bear 🐻 and too far from the iPhone. He’s bigger this year (500+lbs) but he changed his direction once he saw me (note my artistic impression).
516F5123-1A23-4ECE-9401-FDB4703ABC9B.jpeg

15m is close enough! He turned around when I started another starring contest and waved my arms. Thank goodness 😅.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Not much of a view but there’s lots of abandoned trails. I’ve been working on this one since last year. Bridge day. View attachment 89223 View attachment 89226 View attachment 89225
Then I had a visitor. Same guy that took my pac, tools and iPhone last year. (All found btw but my pac was destroyed). Roughly the same spot too. Too close to the bear 🐻 and too far from the iPhone. He’s bigger this year (500+lbs) but he changed his direction once he saw me (note my artistic impression). View attachment 89224
15m is close enough! He turned around when I started another starring contest and waved my arms. Thank goodness 😅.
I'm not surprised he turned around ..that hairstyle of yours is pretty scary ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles