Perma-E010 error preceded by an intermittent then solid W013 error

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
My e8000 powered MTB with 1000 miles came up lame yesterday. I was seeing intermittent E010 errors and then intermittent w013 errors during the past 2-3 rides. Yesterday it booted up with that error so I did all the known games - removed and replaced battery, tried different battery. Cleaned and re-seated all cables, large and small. Updated using eTube to the latest firmware. Ran eTube diagnostics which showed normal for all tests it ran.

What I'm seeing in my google searches is the e010 and w013 errors together with a final stuck e010 error means new motor time. Any other things I can try, other than that thing involving live chickens and midgets???

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Just had an email from dealer to say that Madison have authorised a new motor for my Focus Jam2 as none of the usual fixes have resolved the EO10 WO13 problem.

Only problem is, there are none available until the end of November.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Had an update today - Madison have a massive backlog and are only now dealing with motors sent to them on the 12th of August - mine was sent on the 22nd, so looks like I won't be getting my bike back anytime soon.

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
End of Nov!

Mines in my LBS, Madison are sending out a battery harness, hoping that's all it is on mine. Really hope it's not the motor. Is the backlog on E8000 motors only, or does it include E7000? (which mine is).

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
I expect much, much more from Shimano...
I think we all agree that we expect much more from Shimano .... however have you been in touch with Shimano Ebike UK on Facebook? Or have you just been dealing with the company/shop you bought it from?

I have also recently had the same issues as all of you on my Vitus e-sommet vr, bit due to others having waiting so long I decided to go via lbs and looks like I was very luck and got it all returned within 10 days.

But .... Shimano Ebike UK were very helpful and chased up Madison on my behalf.

It would be good if you could all add your bike manufacturers as there seems to be a lot of Vitus E-sommet's shimano motor failing. If there is already a post for this then I apologise .... I'm a newbie.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I think we all agree that we expect much more from Shimano .... however have you been in touch with Shimano Ebike UK on Facebook? Or have you just been dealing with the company/shop you bought it from?

I have also recently had the same issues as all of you on my Vitus e-sommet vr, bit due to others having waiting so long I decided to go via lbs and looks like I was very luck and got it all returned within 10 days.

But .... Shimano Ebike UK were very helpful and chased up Madison on my behalf.

It would be good if you could all add your bike manufacturers as there seems to be a lot of Vitus E-sommet's shimano motor failing. If there is already a post for this then I apologise .... I'm a newbie.

May I ask, did they just replace the motor, when did they replace it and, most importantly, has it sorted it?

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
May I ask, did they just replace the motor, when did they replace it and, most importantly, has it sorted it?
Yes .... it's a new motor. I took it to the LBS on Friday the 9th August. They messaged me on the 12th August to say the motor had been sent to Madison and they marked it as URGENT. 15th August Shimano Ebike messaged me to say Madison had received it and my warranty number. 22nd August LBS and Shimano Ebike messaged me to say my motor was back and when I'd like to come and collect it.

I have not had any issues since I got it back. The LBS said they re routed the cabling as it could've been partly to blame for the issue but said they felt the biggest contributing factor was the frame design that allowed water and grit to collect in the frame above the motor. They advised moto foam to keep it clear.

Regarding motors not being available .... where did that information come from? I do find it hard to believe that no motors are available until November when they are still running with the E8000 model in many 2020 bikes?

P.S. I will be send my receipt to CRC for reimbursement.

Hope that helps

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Yes .... it's a new motor. I took it to the LBS on Friday the 9th August. They messaged me on the 12th August to say the motor had been sent to Madison and they marked it as URGENT. 15th August Shimano Ebike messaged me to say Madison had received it and my warranty number. 22nd August LBS and Shimano Ebike messaged me to say my motor was back and when I'd like to come and collect it.

I have not had any issues since I got it back. The LBS said they re routed the cabling as it could've been partly to blame for the issue but said they felt the biggest contributing factor was the frame design that allowed water and grit to collect in the frame above the motor. They advised moto foam to keep it clear.

Regarding motors not being available .... where did that information come from? I do find it hard to believe that no motors are available until November when they are still running with the E8000 model in many 2020 bikes?

Hope that helps

I must have missed something, did you pay a local shop to R&R your motor? CRC will reimburse?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales

Hope that helps

Thanks David, but now I'm a little confused.
You say "Ebike messaged me to say my motor was back". So they didn't give you a new motor but repaired your old one?
I can see that a design problem could be causing what seems to be numerous Vitus failures but that can't be said of my Focus, where everything is fully enclosed, so maybe my failure has a different cause to yours.
The demand for replacement motors, if the snapshot from this forum is anything to go by, must be very high and this could easily result in demand outstripping demand. Especially as the US will be prioritised as consumers over there don't put up with the rubbish that we generally do in the UK.
Pleased yours is sorted and I'd definitely try a protect that motor from the elements/muck.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Thanks David, but now I'm a little confused.
You say "Ebike messaged me to say my motor was back". So they didn't give you a new motor but repaired your old one?
I can see that a design problem could be causing what seems to be numerous Vitus failures but that can't be said of my Focus, where everything is fully enclosed, so maybe my failure has a different cause to yours.
The demand for replacement motors, if the snapshot from this forum is anything to go by, must be very high and this could easily result in demand outstripping demand. Especially as the US will be prioritised as consumers over there don't put up with the rubbish that we generally do in the UK.
Pleased yours is sorted and I'd definitely try a protect that motor from the elements/muck.
Yes.... Shimano Ebike UK messaged me to let me know that my motor was back with the LBS. Only when the LBS contact did I know it was a new motor.

But again ... no motors? I'm not buy that. If that WAS the case then why wouldn't they just tell you that? All just hearsay at the moment.

As far as I have experienced and also friends in the club, the motor is NOT the issue. The issue is absolutely SHIT and nonexistent customer service from the place of purchase. If Shimano were the problem then the suppliers would just blame Shimano, but that isn't happening.

It's Wiggle and CRC that need to be called out for their unbelievably poor customer service.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The problem is that Madison, the UK Shimano agent, are currently massively backlogged with warranty work. It may actually be the case that the estimated date of having the work done and motor returned was November.

My feedback from them was 6 week turnaround at the moment, my motor has been with them for 3 weeks, and they still haven't got round to looking at it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Also nothing to stop you phoning up Madison direct - you have to warranty the motor through an LBS with an account with them, but they will talk to you and give an idea of lead-time. Back in late June it was 2 weeks, so I am guessing they have had a big increase in claims recently.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Yes.... Shimano Ebike UK messaged me to let me know that my motor was back with the LBS. Only when the LBS contact did I know it was a new motor.

But again ... no motors? I'm not buy that. If that WAS the case then why wouldn't they just tell you that? All just hearsay at the moment.

As far as I have experienced and also friends in the club, the motor is NOT the issue. The issue is absolutely SHIT and nonexistent customer service from the place of purchase. If Shimano were the problem then the suppliers would just blame Shimano, but that isn't happening.

It's Wiggle and CRC that need to be called out for their unbelievably poor customer service.

Thanks Dave, glad you got a new motor, I wouldn't want a repaired one.

Madison/Shimano UK have! told me they will not have any motors until November.

Can't comment on CRC but I have just bought a Spectral On from Canyon who are also a direct sales company, so may come with the same problems.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
The problem is that Madison, the UK Shimano agent, are currently massively backlogged with warranty work. It may actually be the case that the estimated date of having the work done and motor returned was November.

My feedback from them was 6 week turnaround at the moment, my motor has been with them for 3 weeks, and they still haven't got round to looking at it.

The impression I get from my dealer is that, after carrying out various diagnostics required by Madison, Madison have accepted their is something wrong with the motor, and will send a new one, when they have one. Just hoping it is simply the engine.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom

Yip ... every one in our club has been given the same 6 weeks as that is the standard reply .... including myself. So 6 weeks is standard.

As I said it is not Madison or Shimano I am taking issue with ... it's the suppliers and complete lack of communication and customer service.

P.s. I should have said, i bought my bike from CRC and I spent 10 days just to hear from them on what to do with my issue. I suggested my LBS as they are a Shimano Service Centre and CRC said it would invalidate my BIKE warranty if I took it to the Shimano Service Centre. So that was enough for me to decide that I won't be sending my bike back to them ... or ever dealing with them again.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
My e8000 powered MTB with 1000 miles came up lame yesterday. I was seeing intermittent E010 errors and then intermittent w013 errors during the past 2-3 rides. Yesterday it booted up with that error so I did all the known games - removed and replaced battery, tried different battery. Cleaned and re-seated all cables, large and small. Updated using eTube to the latest firmware. Ran eTube diagnostics which showed normal for all tests it ran.

What I'm seeing in my google searches is the e010 and w013 errors together with a final stuck e010 error means new motor time. Any other things I can try, other than that thing involving live chickens and midgets???

You have a fezzari wire peak correct? Hows fezzari been with handling this issue? wire peak has been on my short list.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yip ... every one in our club has been given the same 6 weeks as that is the standard reply .... including myself. So 6 weeks is standard.

As I said it is not Madison or Shimano I am taking issue with ... it's the suppliers and complete lack of communication and customer service.

P.s. I should have said, i bought my bike from CRC and I spent 10 days just to hear from them on what to do with my issue. I suggested my LBS as they are a Shimano Service Centre and CRC said it would invalidate my BIKE warranty if I took it to the Shimano Service Centre. So that was enough for me to decide that I won't be sending my bike back to them ... or ever dealing with them again.
6 weeks isn't standard, Shimano themselves told me two weeks in late June, and I had several chats to Madison - my issue was I waited 4 weeks for CRC to reply to my warranty claim, and confirm I wouldn't invalidate warranty if I used LBS to warranty the motor directly with Shimano, and by the time that came through they had become much busier.

I was talking with a major retailer today and they said it seems like a lot of Shimano motors have developed problems after about a year of use, and the end of summer is always the busiest period for warranties. He has stopped selling Shimano as he is fed up with dealing with their warranty process.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Yip I agree.

Update for you...

One of the mates has just this minute received an out of the blue reply from Wiggle to say that Madison won't replace the motor as the bike has crash damage. It doesn't .... it may have the usual marks and scuffs of a 7 MONTH bike but it is not damaged.

I was concerned that after hearing of the backlog and if it is indeed true that they start to reject warranty claims to clear the backlog. Awful situation and very disappointed in the while sorry affair.

Wiggle said they'd put the motor back in the bike and ship it back to him.

Watch this space and I truly hope that you all don't start receiving the same rejection emails.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
6 weeks isn't standard, Shimano themselves told me two weeks in late June, and I had several chats to Madison - my issue was I waited 4 weeks for CRC to reply to my warranty claim, and confirm I wouldn't invalidate warranty if I used LBS to warranty the motor directly with Shimano, and by the time that came through they had become much busier.

I was talking with a major retailer today and they said it seems like a lot of Shimano motors have developed problems after about a year of use, and the end of summer is always the busiest period for warranties. He has stopped selling Shimano as he is fed up with dealing with their warranty process.

I'm afraid you have misunderstood me.

I agree with you that it's the likes of CRC that are the issue here. My bike was 3 months old when it developed the fault.

Anyway my point was it has been standard in our club that we have all been told 6 weeks. I also had the same issue of waiting so long for CRC to deal with the issue to start with, but regardless it is still something that Shimano have to honour. It's a 2 year warranty. If its faulty to the extent you are describing then it's a recall.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I'm afraid you have misunderstood me.

I agree with you that it's the likes of CRC that are the issue here. My bike was 3 months old when it developed the fault.

Anyway my point was it has been standard in our club that we have all been told 6 weeks. I also had the same issue of waiting so long for CRC to deal with the issue to start with, but regardless it is still something that Shimano have to honour. It's a 2 year warranty. If its faulty to the extent you are describing then it's a recall.
Sorry I dont quite understand what you are saying - I know the fault on mine, the torque sensor has failed .

My point was the time it takes is totally dependent on how busy they are - if I sent my motor off in June, I would have got it back in two weeks. I know others who had it turned around in about 10 day earlier in the year, but right now they are snowed under.

CRC estimated up to 3 months if I sent the bike back to them.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Sorry I dont quite understand what you are saying - I know the fault on mine, the torque sensor has failed .

My point was the time it takes is totally dependent on how busy they are - if I sent my motor off in June, I would have got it back in two weeks. I know others who had it turned around in about 10 day earlier in the year, but right now they are snowed under.

CRC estimated up to 3 months if I sent the bike back to them.

At least they gave you a realistic time of their service . . . I accept that they get busy. I didn't have any complaints about Shimano or Madison (Until now) as they are doing what they say and stay in touch. CRC and Wiggle on the other hand I will never touch again and I will advise everyone else to do the same.

Having said that, it is worrying that you guys have waited so long and one of our guys has tonight received an email rejecting his warranty claim. Keep each other posted on this as I am concerned they will start rejecting more to clear their backlog.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles