• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Pear tune

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Just teething problems really , the plug that goes to the motor needs sealing with silicone of grease or it will cause a cut out when dirt gets in there . The original plug has a little key way but the pear tune one doesn’t so water and dirt can run down the slot .
With the 34t front ring fitted as standard on my shimano it cut out intermittently on,y in ist gear I think the halving of the readings meant it was too low a gear for the sensors . Fitting a 36 ring cures that problem and improved the gearing

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Wanted a Badass Box, cannot find on to ship to US, the only one I can get in the US is the Pear Tune off of ebay. Now that you have had it awhile, what is your review, still recommended. Couldn't find any videos of installation. How difficult as far as getting into the motor. Thanks, Jesse.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Wanted a Badass Box, cannot find on to ship to US, the only one I can get in the US is the Pear Tune off of ebay. Now that you have had it awhile, what is your review, still recommended. Couldn't find any videos of installation. How difficult as far as getting into the motor. Thanks, Jesse.
It’s installed in 10 mins , so easy just 2xwires to connect and pop the cover back on . It works fine just , does exactly what the description says . As I said above seal connections and 2 teeth more on the front ring on my commencal , which may not be required on other models . It just makes the bike properly rideable off road ,

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Hi, I have a question about the pear tune. I just ordered one off of ebay and they are asking which one I want. The activation via LIGHT or the STILL ON. Which one did you get that works on the Commencal E8000. I saw light in the menu, but doesn't look like it's activated. Should I get the STILL ON Version. Thanks for any help you can offer. Jesse.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I bought the lights actuvated version , you can then switch it off by simply turning the lights off, I also thought perhaps that I’d the device developed a fault you could simply switch it off and carry on as normal

Last edited:

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Thanks for all the advise, just installed mine today. Sealed the connections and got the light activated version as recommended. Good deal to be able to turn on and off. Had a hard time getting the cover back on, very tight fit. Other than that. works perfectly. Like you mentioned, I think I am going to need a bigger chainring, ran out of gearing. Felt good not to have it bogging down. And just for grins took it on a closed road and got it up to 30mph when I ran out of gear. Thanks again for all your help. Jesse.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
I was on the Commencal website to get a 36t chainring and the one that offer only goes up to 34t. What chainring did you use on yours. Thanks, Jesse.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I was on the Commencal website to get a 36t chainring and the one that offer only goes up to 34t. What chainring did you use on yours. Thanks, Jesse.
Go up 2 teeth on the front to 36 if your original is a 34
As I described earlier in this post I found the gearing at 34 with standard ring was causing cutting out of the motor only in ist gear
I think the speed halving confused the sensor
A 36 sorted it the orange hope ring looks good on the race and orange bike I fitted a rental in gold but I don’t like the colour

Iam glad you also peddled it up to 30 it takes effort didn’t it and makes you realise how silly all the fuss has been , I think you’ll agree you won’t be doing 30 everywhere ?

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Just teething problems really , the plug that goes to the motor needs sealing with silicone of grease or it will cause a cut out when dirt gets in there . The original plug has a little key way but the pear tune one doesn’t so water and dirt can run down the slot .
With the 34t front ring fitted as standard on my shimano it cut out intermittently on,y in ist gear I think the halving of the readings meant it was too low a gear for the sensors . Fitting a 36 ring cures that problem and improved the gearing

Hi, my cranks started freewheeling making motor sounds. Got code w011. Says
W011 – Cannot detect travel speed
Restrictions:
Max power assist speed may be lower than usual.
I wonder if the pear tune is causing this. I am going to uninstall and see if it continues. Had to walk back to car as cranks were just free spinning.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Did you try turning it off using the light activation function before walking back? Interested as I want to chip mine at some point

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Not had that problem usual error code was wo13 or 10 or 12 all were caused by dirt in the connector on top of the motor and cured as soon as I cleaned them . This is why I feel the error codes are relatively meaningless , it’s just generated by the sensor that Is effected first by the dirty conector
I’ve tried turning off the peartune each time I’ve had a problem , but with it being at the connection it’s not been the peartune
Let us know how you get on with the Peartune unplugged they seem pretty reliable , but it’s electronics mixed with wet conditions which is never good really
It would be an easy trailside fix to remove the peartune and connect as normal , if you had the small screwdriver to remove the cover .

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Was a mechanical not pear tune or motor problem afterall. Bent cassette tooth knocking chain off the smallest cog, causing front to spin freely and make the motor noises. So busy hearing the noises and seeing the error code, did not even think to look back.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Was a mechanical not pear tune or motor problem afterall. Bent cassette tooth knocking chain off the smallest cog, causing front to spin freely and make the motor noises. So busy hearing the noises and seeing the error code, did not even think to look back.
I’ve found that adjustment on the out throw of the durailure needs to be tuned quite well , or it’s quite easy to throw the chain off the outside on a bumpy downhill . When mine first did it it loosened the lock ring .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles