Peak district recommendations reqiured.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Hi all, so after getting a bit more familiar with my whyte e180 rs i would like to really start getting some elevation into my rides. I have access to komoot and would prefer to start a route from a proper car park but i'm not really sure what i should be attempting. I'm midlands based so staying closer to the sheffield side of things would be preferred.

What is probably off limits is anything where i need to climb with the bike on my back/shoulders as i'm just not that strong 'yet'.

In terms of riding skill the only thing that really fases me are drop offs into the unknown, which given it would be my first time at these places would be unknown.

Is there anything people would recommend as a good starting point? I have a garmin 530 which should keep me pointed in the correct direction.

pic for attention.
1605296973749.png

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Hiya pal. Plenty of us local to the peak that would be happy to show you around. There’s so much to go at you would not get bored thats for sure.

This is a decent intro. You can replace “potato alley” with “the beast” if you want something steep and rocky. Tons of YouTube clips of all the popular trails will give you an idea.
https://strava.app.link/oA9fwz1fobb
1605304091966.png

Here’s the other side of Win Hill. Mega views on a clear day from mam tor.
https://strava.app.link/CBZwkvhgobb
1605304254950.png

The variety is brilliant, for me this is some of the best biking in England (outside the Lake District!) you can easy get 1500m climb in a ride if you fancy a big day out!

I’ve been riding round the Peak for years, give me a shout if you want any help planning a route ?

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
There’s a ride that starts from Mytham bridge below Bamford that goes up past the Shatton moor transmitter, it’s about 25 miles and a loop ride and it’s a great ride which starts to the left of where the Marquis de granbey pub used to stand, the car park is a lay-by on the Hathersage to Hope road ? enjoy

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
Hiya pal. Plenty of us local to the peak that would be happy to show you around. There’s so much to go at you would not get bored thats for sure.

This is a decent intro. You can replace “potato alley” with “the beast” if you want something steep and rocky. Tons of YouTube clips of all the popular trails will give you an idea.
https://strava.app.link/oA9fwz1fobb View attachment 44372

Here’s the other side of Win Hill. Mega views on a clear day from mam tor.
https://strava.app.link/CBZwkvhgobb View attachment 44373
The variety is brilliant, for me this is some of the best biking in England (outside the Lake District!) you can easy get 1500m climb in a ride if you fancy a big day out!

I’ve been riding round the Peak for years, give me a shout if you want any help planning a route ?
Dint know there was any cannals in peaks 840m ?

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Hopefully nobody minds the cross posting as it was relevant here.

You wait all day for another e180 and two come along at once ? was nice to find some company after getting a bit lost. Serves me right for not loading up the route on the GPS before setting off from the house. Had no signal at all come the visitor centre so i took a wrong turn and stubbornly just pedalled along then took a right and went up as high as i could :D

In doing this slightly off piste route i also discovered that it REALLY is not fun to try and get this bike over a locked gate.

However when i got to the point of photo 1 i was able to get the garmin to load up the ladybower loop that i wanted to do, just a bit down on expected range. So off i plodded soon to be blown away by how composed it was down through the rocky paths back down to the 'start'. I really got to get a feel for how more capable this bike is than I am. Slightly concerned about my estimated range i did a good chunk of the first few miles that weren't stupidly steep in eco mode. Once i had reached the first summit i really enjoyed the mostly flat to downhill open sections with rocks you could do little hops on, down over the a57 and crossing the dam to then be trolled by my garmin which sent me up a stupidly steep and technical trail for no reason. Being too stubborn to turn around i plotted the nearest trail to get me back on track which resulted in discovering what must be something bordering on a proper DH track which had some gnarly drops and with the extra slop was highly terrifying/enjoyable.

Back on the main trail and climbing again which eventually lead me around to the start of the beast and this is where my luck changed. Just as i was about to set off down a group of 4 appeared two of which had the v1 e180RS and didn't mind me tagging along. It was my first time being in a pack of ebikes and it was fun to be flying up the hills and then back down again.

Before i knew it i was back at the visitor centre and it was time to head home. Certainly need to do this again with a bit better planning (and beefed up arm muscles :D)

View attachment 45075

View attachment 45076

View attachment 45077

View attachment 45078

View attachment 45079

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Dint know there was any cannals in peaks 840m ?
I didn't know there were any peaks in the Peak. :) Seriously I always thought it was "The Peak" named after a tribe of peoples that lived there. I was brought up in Sheffield and everyone I knew called it "The Peak" Why do you think it's "The Peaks"? This seems to be a recent tendency. I don't care that much but I am interested. I suspect most people call it "The Peaks" because there are multiple peaks in which case I would argue they are wrong. Then of course I'm perfectly willing to believe that I may be wrong.

There is a debate to be had that there is a "Dark Peak" and a "White Peak" therefore a plural description would be valid in some contexts but if you only visit one or the other it would be invalid IMO.

Al

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
JoeBlow - you're correct as far as anyone knows anyway, it's named after a group of people that lived there ages ago.

Went for a ride in the Peak District earlier today. Started at mam tor car park, head across to cave Dale, down cave Dale into Castleton, out of Castleton back up the broken road, then took the bridleway round the edge of mam tor, then over to hollins Cross, down the descent towards edale, bit of road through edale towards Chapel gate bridleway, up chapel gate bridleway, then up rushup edge back to mam tor car park. ~12miles, 2300 feet climbing. Was good, but very busy with walkers.

IMG_20201122_124835.jpg

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Do I take it from the ? and lack of a question mark that you don't want to discuss this? That's OK. I was simply trying to pass a bit of time. Apologies if you have taken offense.

I wasn't trying to be a smart arse, I'm genuinely interested in knowing why people think it should be "The Peaks"

Last edited:

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
I didn't know there were any peaks in the Peak. :) Seriously I always thought it was "The Peak" named after a tribe of peoples that lived there. I was brought up in Sheffield and everyone I knew called it "The Peak" Why do you think it's "The Peaks"? This seems to be a recent tendency. I don't care that much but I am interested. I suspect most people call it "The Peaks" because there are multiple peaks in which case I would argue they are wrong. Then of course I'm perfectly willing to believe that I may be wrong.

There is a debate to be had that there is a "Dark Peak" and a "White Peak" therefore a plural description would be valid in some contexts but if you only visit one or the other it would be invalid IMO.

Al

Its most definitely “The Peak”....

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Some great loops here for all abilities

there are some really good rides on this website, admittedly some are on the short side but they can be linked with other ones, I’m a subscriber on your channel, some good videos mate

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
there are some really good rides on this website, admittedly some are on the short side but they can be linked with other ones, I’m a subscriber on your channel, some good videos mate

Thanks buddy, been stricken with Covid for 2 months, need to get back into filming. The new bike will definitely encourage me :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles