Patience is a VRtue ?????

warninghighvoltage

Jul 26, 2019
Surrey
Noobie here, sorry for the crap pun. Demo'd a Trek Powerfly for a couple of days and sooooo get the e-bike thing now but I found it to be a barge and the weight bias/chainstay length not to my liking. So the E-Sommet research has been done to death today.

So, there are no VRs on CRC at all, Wiggle seem to have given up on them and there are a few Deore versions. Do I wait for however long for a VR or just do it. I'm tempted to JFDI because a number of people seem to prefer the Steps 7000 to the 8000 on the VR and I'm not that fussed on Deore v XT etc. Is/are there really good reasons to wait ?

I know 2 things, I am not waiting until 2020 comes out and that I am in love with that blue black colour scheme on the VR that was maybe a 2018 thing.

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
The only reason to get the VR in my opinion is for the lyric fork. The E7000 motor is more than ample.
XT/Deore, meh. I've got XT on my other bike. Can I tell the difference? Can I fuck.

I went for the non-VR version. No regrets.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No. The main reason to buy the VR is the E8000
(it's easy and cheap to upgrade a Yari to Lyrik)

The E7000 is actually a bit weedy in comparisson to the E8000.
I reckon most folk who don't notice the difference are just plodders/steady riders
do you have an E7000 and an E8000?
I have both. and personally I don't see the point in Shimano releasing the E7000 at all when manufacturers could simply have set-up an E8000 to only output 60nm on their bikes.
shimano should have made a more durable motor up to actual off road use instead of introducing a weaker model IMO

warninghighvoltage

Jul 26, 2019
Surrey
The only reason to get the VR in my opinion is for the lyric fork. The E7000 motor is more than ample.
XT/Deore, meh. I've got XT on my other bike. Can I tell the difference? Can I fuck.

I went for the non-VR version. No regrets.

Thanks Nick. Vitus confirmed there are def no more 2019s in production, its all 2020 now and nobody will say when they are expected in uk. CRC have a few base models available right now.

I agree about the whole xt/slx whatever thing. We're hacks, not pro's. Appreciate your views.

Maybe spend the 'saving' on a spare battery

warninghighvoltage

Jul 26, 2019
Surrey

I reckon most folk who don't notice the difference are just plodders/steady riders
I have both. and personally I don't see the point in Shimano releasing the E7000 at all when manufacturers could simply have set-up an E8000 to only output 60nm on their bikes.
shimano should have made a more durable motor up to actual off road use instead of introducing a weaker model IMO

I think N1ck was saying the diff between xt/deore isn't discernible, not that he didn't notice a difference between the 2 motors

Its all fine margins and a lot of it in the mind. People think they're Gee Atherton on their £7k carbon whatever then get wasted by Sam Pilgrim on freebie rigid Apollo :)

BUT, maybe best to wait for 2020 and see what the latest shiny bits offer, with electrics developing as quick as they are. I really can't decide but maybe should apply the 'buy in haste, repent at leisure' and hang out for a bit longer to see what happens

These Vitus must be bloomin good. Nobody ever sells them! Given up looking for 2nd hand ones

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK

Depends how fit you are. I can max the boost mode to motor cut-out speed up some pretty steep hills off-road. How would an E8000 help me there? They all cutout at the same speed. If you're less fit, then yes I could see an advantage to the E8000, but for me, no, I disagree.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Depends how fit you are. I can max the boost mode to motor cut-out speed up some pretty steep hills off-road. How would an E8000 help me there? They all cutout at the same speed. If you're less fit, then yes I could see an advantage to the E8000, but for me, no, I disagree.

You clearly don't ever climb anything actually steep if you can climb everything at 15mph+

Max torque has nothing to do with speed

It also has nothing to do with how fit you are. (I'm fairly fit myself)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Gary, Im not really sure why you're jumping on N1ck unless in jest. Having one more gear makes you think you are quicker
No it doesn't

not unless you're a complete moron.

one more gear makes for smaller jumps from gear to gear or a wider range (higher/lower top/bottom gear).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles