Part # 1: Shimano Brake System Service

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
This will be a three part technical article discussing Shimano braking system components, how to service your Shimano brakes and brake system modification on your Rise.

Part # 1 will discuss basic maintenance on your Shimano brakes.

Part # 2 will discuss brake modifications to your Orbea Rise.

Part # 3 will discuss uneven brake rotor wear and checking your rotor for thickness.

I am not a professional mechanic but I do enjoy working on bikes. I’ve built up many bikes in my lifetime. I presently own a highly modified Rise M20. I began working on bikes because I dislike waiting in a queue to have my bike fixed at my local bike shop. Who wants to wait two weeks for a repair? I’ve made a lot of mistakes and over time, I’ve learned a lot. The knowledge I've gained has contributed to many successful backcountry field repairs which prevented long walks back to the trailhead. Knowledge is a good thing, long walks back to the truck, absolutely suck…..

I am hopeful there will be no mistakes in Part # 1 and Part # 2 of this technical article, I am confident there will be. Should I make a mistake, please let me know so that I may correct the article. Hopefully this article will constantly evolve with time and input from you. If you ever have any question about something on your Rise, shoot me a message and I'll help you figure things out.

Let’s begin:
Shimano’s website provides parts diagrams and compatibility charts of all the manufacturer’s components and system levels. The parts diagrams are very useful when it comes to buying or identifying the correct replacement part, i.e. brake pads, brake hose, rotors, caliper adapters, etc. You don’t want to automatically assume something will fit on your bike. It most likely won’t. This is especially so when it comes to eBike parts.

To access parts diagrams and the compatibility chart, go to Shimano’s American or European website:

Once Shimano's home page has opened, you will see “Information” displayed on the top header bar. Click on Information and a drop down menu will appear. From the drop down menu, click on "Tech Docs" and you will be taken to Shimano's technical webpage which allows you to access compatibility charts, component parts diagrams, installation manuals, etc. Once you've dialed how to access and use the information, you'll find this page extremely useful for parts identification.

Screenshot 2022-06-14 08.27.19.jpg

Click on Information and select Tech Docs
Screenshot 2022-06-19 21.58.20.jpg

Screenshot 2022-06-19 22.00.38.jpg

Shimano Brake Fluid:
Modern Shimano hydraulic disc braking systems use mineral oil. Mineral oil offers several benefits. It does not absorb water, it handles high braking temperatures well and unlike D.O.T. brake fluid, it will not ruin the paint job on your bike or fork if you suffer a spill during brake bleeding.

Some manufacturers such as SRAM, use a D.O.T. 5.1 type braking fluid. DOT brake fluids and mineral oils are NOT compatible and under no circumstances should the two fluids be mixed in your Shimano brake system. Should this ever occur, the rubber seals inside your brake levers and calipers will swell and your brakes will be ruined.

Mineral brake oil will darken with use. This is due to particulates from the normal wear and tear of braking components and seals becoming suspended in the oil. Shimano recommends that brake fluids be changed if a noticeable change in brake fluid color occurs. As a general rule, I like to flush and replace my braking fluids once a year.

Shimano recommends that you use Shimano brake fluid on Shimano braking systems. Due to covid supply chain issues, it can be difficult sourcing Shimano brake fluid. There are other manufacturers such as Maxima and Finish Line that sell acceptable mineral oil braking fluids, however they are green in color. Shimano brake fluid is tinted red in color. Try not to mix colors, use one or the other. If you mix colors, it makes it difficult to determine If the brake oil is discolored and dirty.

Here is a Shimano tech article on mineral oil brake fluids:

Screenshot 2022-06-19 22.37.24.jpg

Bleeding and Servicing Shimano Brakes:
Here is an excellent video produced by Park Tool on how to bleed your Shimano brakes. Whether you own a Shimano two piston brake caliper or four piston brake caliper, the bleed process is the same. If you plan to do your own brake bleed service, I recommend the Park Tool bleed kit, BKM-1. It has an excellent bleed block which comes with the tool kit. I describe below why I recommend this kit.

Shimano ceramic caliper pistons are extremely fragile. You absolutely need the correct bleed block when performing a brake bleed service or the piston will crack. Never pry directly on a ceramic piston with a hard object, i.e. screw driver. If you do, you stand a very good chance of damaging the piston. If you have to pry on a piston to collapse it back into the caliper during a brake pad replacement, keep the old brake pads in place and pry between them. Never pry directly against the piston. I always keep a used pair of brake pads in my tool box for this purpose.

All brake caliper pistons whether SRAM or Shimano, two piston or four piston, will start to seize up and get sticky with time. When this occurs, your brake pads will drag on the brake rotor creating a rubbing noise. Additionally, a sticky caliper piston will cause your brake pads to wear unevenly. This is because the sticky piston does not retract and keeps brake pad pressure against the rotor. The other pistons that are not sticky, retract and release pressure on the brake pads.

Example of an uneven wearing brake pad due to a sticky caliper piston

IMG_1614.jpg

To understand why caliper pistons stick, you first need to know how your brake caliper operates. When you squeeze the brake lever, a piston in the brake lever housing forces brake fluid under pressure through the brake hose and into the brake caliper. Shimano uses a four sided, square edged piston seal in it's calipers. When the brake fluid advances the piston outwards, it rolls the four sided square edged piston seal outwards as the piston advances. Due to the rubber seal's elastic nature, it wants to return back to it's original shape. When you release the brake lever, fluid pressure is released, and the seal rolls back to it's original position, taking the caliper piston with it. To assist with retraction and brake pad alignment, Shimano and SRAM use a metal spring situated between the two brake pads.

Screenshot 2022-06-22 06.30.07.jpg

After a period of use, trail dirt, braking pad compound, and traces of brake fluid will accumulate around the sides of the piston. This build up of crud will hinder the pulling nature of the piston seals and prevent piston retraction.

Image1m.jpg

When a sticking piston first occurs, you will begin to hear the brake rotor rubbing against the brake pads. There are several other things that may cause a brake rotor rubbing noise. This includes a bent brake rotor or a caliper that is not centered on the brake rotor.

Rule out a bent rotor by shining a light upwards from beneath the caliper. Spin the wheel and look downwards at the caliper. Watch the rotor as it spins between the two brake pads. If you see a badly wobbling rotor, then it is bent and needs to be trued using a brake rotor truing tool. Park Tool, DT-2 works well at truing rotors. Note that no rotor is absolutely perfect and a very slight bit of wobble is acceptable.

If the brake rotor checks okay, next check to see if the caliper is centered on the brake rotor. To do this, loosen the two caliper bolts, squeeze the brake lever firmly. While holding tension on the brake lever, re-tighten the caliper bolts. Your caliper should now be centered on the rotor and no rubbing noise should be heard. If the brake rotor spins true, the caliper is correctly centered, and you still hear a rubbing noise, then you have dragging brake caliper piston(s).

Fortunately, its an easy fix to cure a dragging piston. You do this by scrubbing the sides of brake pistons using Q-Tips and mineral oil brake fluid. Here is an excellent video made by Park Tool which details how to clean brake caliper pistons. The video describes using Q-Tips to scrub the sides of the pistons. I find this method works well, but is not totally 100% effective. I also like to buff the sides of the pistons so they are smooth and polished. To do this, I use a long strip of cotton cloth torn from a cotton tee shirt or a piece of cotton twine. I partially wrap the cotton cloth around the piston and I push-pull the cotton cloth in a buffing action while working my way around each of the pistons. Once the pistons have been cleaned and lubricated with mineral oil, they should easily retract back into the caliper when pressed in. You will have a bit of excess mineral brake oil on the pistons and caliper after the cleaning process. Wipe off this excess oil so it doesn't attract dirt.

NOTE: It is imperative that you do not squeeze the brake lever so much that it forces a piston out of the caliper. It's very easy to do. If you do force the piston out of the caliper, you will need to re-bleed the brake system to remove all of the air that has entered the system.

******** HUGELY IMPORTANT - SHIMANO FOUR and TWO PISTON BRAKE CALIPERS **********

While performing the piston cleaning process on my XT Br-M8120 calipers, I accidentally pushed one of the ceramic pistons out of the bore. This resulted in loss of fluid and air entering the brake system. No biggie, I re-installed the ceramic piston and began the bleed process by placing a standard Shimano yellow bleed block between the four pistons. The bleed process was quickly performed. As I squeezed the brake lever to check for piston seal leakage, I heard a loud snapping noise come from the caliper. I then saw brake fluid dripping from the caliper. When I removed the bleed block, I saw that one of the small ceramic caliper pistons had cracked in half.

After reviewing the matter to figure out why this happened, I realized the spacer block I used, had not completely covered all four of the ceramic pistons. When I squeezed the brake lever, half of the ceramic piston stopped against the bleed block. The other half of the piston was not covered by the bleed block and tried to move forward. This caused the brake piston to shear in half.

YOU MUST MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT THE BLEED BLOCK YOU USE COMPLETELY COVERS ALL TWO OR FOUR OF THE CERAMIC CALIPER PISTONS. IF IT DOES NOT, THE PISTONS WILL CRACK WHEN THE LEVER IS SQUEEZED FIRMLY. PARK TOOL, BKM-1 COMES WITH AN EXCELLENT BLEED BLOCK WHICH PREVENTS THIS FROM OCCURRING.

I went online to order a replacement set of BR-M8120 pistons, only to discover that unlike SRAM, Shimano does not sell a replacement piston and seal kit. You must buy a whole new caliper. Because of covid and a lack of Shimano parts availability in the USA, I could not source just the caliper and had to buy a complete brake lever and caliper set.

If you Google "Shimano Cracked Pistons", you will see this is a significant issue which occurs during the brake bleed process. There are Chinese vendors on Amazon that sell replacement pistons however, these pistons are not ceramic and issues with heat expansion and brake failure are reported in user reviews. Properly functioning brakes is mission critical and I don't recommend experimenting with knock off pistons. As a side note, if anybody is looking for a brand new Shimano XT left brake lever hit me up, I have one for sell.

After the fiasco with the cracked caliper piston, I purchased Park Tool bleed kit, "BKM-1" which comes with an excellent bleed block and is perfect for bleeding Shimano two and four piston calipers. I highly recommend this bleed kit.

Dirty Brakes, Done Dirt Cheap....

Occasionally you may experience a noisy/howling brake when the brakes are applied. This typically occurs if you have accidentally contaminated the brakes and or rotor during a bike cleaning or maintenance. It doesn't take much oil, grease or a cleaning agent to foul up your brakes. When this occurs, the contamination will cause the brake pads to glaze over and howl when the brakes are applied. I've also had clay like soils contaminate my brake pads and after a stream crossing, along with high heat, will create a glaze on the pads which hinders stopping and causes a lot of noise.

When contamination occurs, you will need to clean your brake pads and rotor in order to alleviate noise and restore braking performance. I will describe my own process for cleaning brake pads and rotors. Everybody has their own method, there are many. My method works well, I'm sure your method does also. I will also attach a video on decontamination of brake pads and brake rotor, in case you would rather watch a video.

Brake pad before cleaning and surfacing
IMG_1618.jpg

The same brake pad after cleaning and surfacing
IMG_1619.JPG

To clean my brake pads, I first remove them from the caliper. I mark the backside of the pads with a L for left and R for right. I do this so that they go back into the caliper in the same wear orientation. You don't need to mark finned pads. I use a sheet of 400 grit sandpaper, a can of Acetone and a very clean wiping rag. Isopropyl alcohol also works, but I prefer not to use it because it contains water.

I place the sheet of 400 grit sandpaper on a pane of glass which I bought from my local hardware store. The pane of glass serves as perfectly flat surface in which to surface the face of the brake pad. I pour a small amount of acetone on the sandpaper. I place the brake pad compound side down on the sandpaper. Using a figure 8 pattern, I slide the brake pad around on the sandpaper. I don't press down hard. I add acetone as needed in order to wash the contaminated material off of the sandpaper as I work the pad. It doesn't take much or long to surface and clean the pad. After surfacing the pad, I take a clean rag with acetone and wipe the pad clean.

With the wheels still on the bike, I take a piece of fine emory cloth sandpaper and I hold it against the side of the brake rotor while I spin the wheel. I do this to both sides of the brake rotor. After several full revolutions, I take a clean rag with acetone and completely wipe down both sides of the rotor. After you have completed the cleaning process and reassembled the brakes, you will need to bed the brakes in by running your bike up the street and applying the brakes several times. Do this until your brakes feel good. The braking action will deposit a trace amount of brake compound on both sides of the rotor and your brakes will function like new.

Brake Pads
Shimano offers several types of brake pad compounds, including resin and metallic. Given the heavy nature of eBikes and my large butt, I prefer metallic pads. I find metallic pads last longer and they don't fade as much as a resin pad will do on a hard downhill run. I find metallic pads tend to stop better when things become wet. On the flip side of the coin, resin pads tend to be quieter and they are not as abrasive on brake rotors as a metallic pad will be. Brake pads can also be purchased with cooling fins molded into the backing pad or they can come with just a plain backing pad.

Here is an excellent article by Shimano on brake pad compounds.

Metallic brake pad with cooling fins
Shimano22-Y1XD98020-2.jpg

The same brake pad in resin and non-finned
Shimano20-Y1XM98010-2T.jpg

Those of you who have tried to source Shimano N04C metallic or N03A resin brake pads with cooling fins, know they are rarer than unicorns and very costly. Plain backed brake pads are much more readily available. I don't know the effectiveness of the cooling fins, but they do look very cool...see what I did there? Personally, I don't see a big difference between finned or non finned brake pads. I'm positive they do provide an added cooling benefit, but is the benefit worth the cost? If you have trouble sourcing Shimano brakes pads, there are a number of companies that make equally good brake pads, Galfer, Kool Stop, Trucker, Jagwire, are just a few of the companies which manufacturer replacement brake pads.

To determine which pads your caliper model uses, refer to Shimano's compatibility chart.

Screenshot 2022-06-22 10.08.01.jpg

Screenshot 2022-06-22 10.08.36.jpg

Screenshot 2022-06-22 10.09.10.jpg

I hope you find this article useful.

Cheers and be safe....

Last edited:

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Cleaning the pistons with 99% alcohol and cycling the pistons will lube the seals. You can use a plastic tire lever to push the pistons in.

Always pull vacuum on the fluid before installing it as it will pull the dissolved air out of the oil. This really helps with wandering lever point.

I like to rock the blead block to slightly to move the pistons in and reduce the volume of oil before reinstalling the lever bleed port. This helps prevent heat expansion lever pump.

The lever servo wave system/pivot needs cleaned and lubed from time to time to time.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Your tutorials are always very inspiring. It's a huge help not only for Rise owners. I am sure they have helped many of this forum. THANK YOU.
Peter,

Thank you, I appreciate the awesome comment. It's always nice helping others and hopefully I can save others from making the same mistake I did with cracking the piston while bleeding the caliper.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Can you explain what you mean by this ?.

Ta :)
I believe he is referring to the brake bleeder syringe.

To bleed Shimano brakes, thread the fill cup into the lever body. Place the stopper in the fill cup port and fill the cup about 3/4 of the way full with brake fluid.

Fill your brake bleeder syringe about 3/4 full with brake fluid. Push the clear hose onto the caliper bleed nipple. Sometimes, a small pocket of air can be trapped inside the syringe hose and the caliper bleeder nipple. If you were to push on the syringe plunger, it would push the air pocket into the brake caliper and cause issues. You want to avoid doing this.

To prevent this from occurring, you should pull a vacuum on the syringe and remove the trapped pocket of air. To do this, remove the stopper from the lever body fill cup. Pull on the syringe plunger to create a vacuum. Loosen the caliper bleeder screw. Any trapped air will now be pulled up into the syringe and safely away from the caliper. After the air has been removed from the line, you can begin the brake bleed process.

Note: I chose not to write about the actual brake bleeding process because it might confuse people not familiar with brake bleeding tools or the process of bleeding brakes. I think it much more instructive to watch a video so that the user can see the tools used and visually see the process of bleeding brakes. There are many excellent videos on YouTube which will safely take you through the process.

Here is another excellent video:

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
You can use the syringe to de gas the fluid and then push it threw into the funnel. If you are pulling from the funnel use degassed fluid to fill it.

. Starts at 2 min

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
Great write up thanks!

I have one question about shimano 4 pot brakes that come on the M10. Is it possible to improve the bite point? I find that I get alot of level throw before the pads bite. On my other bikes with Hope brakes I can easily adjust and have the pads bite almost immediately..
Apart from the bite point issue I'm really happy with the shimano brakes

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
^ same question here. One can adjust the lever break point a bit but not much. This video shows the process and difference quite well. I tried it and indeed it did work.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Cookie and Soundwave,

The quick answer is "Yes" you can improve the "Bite Point", however it takes work. Shimano's bite point, also called Free Stroke Adjustment, works, but it's not great. There are other brake designs with free stroke adjustment which are better. I personally like my brakes very firm with a quick bite point.

I know some that will read this will have their own opinion on Free Stroke and adjustment. What I describe is my method and it works for me.

For the initial adjustment, I bottom out the free stroke adjustment screw and back it off one turn. From there, I get to work.

To achieve a reliable, "Non wondering" free stroke adjust, you have to be absolutely spot on with your brake bleed. There cannot be any air in the system, absolutely no micro bubbles, none. If there is any air in the system, it will throw off the free stroke and cause the lever to feel hard one moment and spongy the next. Patience is a good thing and you'll need a good quality bleed kit and syringe to achieve this.

Here is another trick to achieve a firm brake lever and bite point. This works especially well if your brake lever doesn't have a free stroke adjustment, i.e. Deore M6100 levers on the Rise M20.

1. Remove the wheel and rotor from the bike.
2. While watching the pistons and brake pads, squeeze the lever slowly so the pistons just barely creep out.
4. Let go of the lever.
5. Re-install the wheel and check for dragging
6. Top off the brake fluid in the lever reservoir

Your essentially want to advance the pistons out just far enough however, you don't want to advance the pistons so far out that the brake pads rub hard on the rotor. When you advance the pistons out, it creates a fluid vacancy in the brake lever reservoir. When you top off the fluid and install the fill screw, it maxes out the fluid. This removes any lag between the lever and pistons. The result is a really firm brake lever and bite point. I know this may sound confusing and it takes a little finesse, but it does work.

Here's a YouTube post that also explains the process described above:

I know you guys know this, but some new riders may not, so I'll also mention "Lever Reach" adjustment. How far the lever extends out from the brake lever body and handlebar can be adjusted. Some Shimano models will have a castellated screw on the brake lever body that allows the rider to adjust how far out the lever extends/reach. Some Shimano models such as Deore have a hex adjustment screw instead of a castellated nut. If the rider has small hands, the rider can adjust the "Lever Reach" so that the brake lever is closer to the handlebar and easier to get the rider's fingers around the lever. I like to place a tape measure against my handlebar and adjust my levers so that the right and left levers are an equal distance out.

Screenshot 2022-06-23 18.11.01.jpg

Screenshot 2022-06-23 18.43.05.jpg

br001076-black.jpg

New riders may wonder what Cookie and Soundwave refer to when they say "Bite Point" also known as "Free Stroke"

When braking, two things happen. The first motion is when you apply the brake lever and squeeze. This motion is called "Free Stroke", i.e. how far you have to pull the brake lever before the caliper pistons advance the brake pads far enough to engage the brake rotor, i.e. Bite Point. Free Stroke adjustment allows the rider to customize how quickly the pads make contact with and "Bite" the rotor. The terrain we ride varies all around the world. Some riders may prefer a softer, feathery bite point, whereas other riders may prefer a more aggressive and quicker bite point on their brakes.

I hope this answered your questions.

Note: I just got back from a trip to Utah. For this three day trip, my buddies and I rode Bunker Creek and Dark Hollow trails in Brian Head Utah. On the second day, we rode the Thunder Mountain and Cassidy trails near Bryce Canyon. The scenery was incredible. On the last day, we rode the Iron Hills trail system near Cedar City, Utah. This is a new trail system and the riding was exceptional.

Here are some pictures for those interested in Utah:

Bunker Creek - Dark Hollow
IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

IMG_3744 (3).JPG

Thunder Mountain
IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_E1569.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

Iron Hills Trail System, Tombstone and Bone Yard...So good....
IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
eMTB member Shockwave provided a useful tip when servicing your caliper brake pistons. In his post he provided a picture of a caliper with plastic zip ties wrapped around it.

I would like to add context to the picture and why it’s a very useful suggestion.

When you attempt a piston cleaning procedure on your brake caliper, it can be difficult to isolate just a single piston or a left or right side set of pistons. This is due to all pistons advancing out when the lever is squeezed.

When trying to move out a piston for cleaning, it’s easy to unintentionally push another piston out of it’s bore if you are not paying attention. As a side note, this was what happened to me and led to my piston cracking event.

By using Shockwave’s zip tie technique, you can zip tie off a single piston or a group of pistons and prevent them from moving. This allows you to concentrate on a single piston and not worry about pushing the remaining pistons out of their bore.
1656791491340.png

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Sometimes, a small pocket of air can be trapped inside the syringe hose and the caliper bleeder nipple. If you were to push on the syringe plunger, it would push the air pocket into the brake caliper and cause issues. You want to avoid doing this.

To prevent this from occurring, you should pull a vacuum on the syringe and remove the trapped pocket of air. To do this, remove the stopper from the lever body fill cup. Pull on the syringe plunger to create a vacuum. Loosen the caliper bleeder screw. Any trapped air will now be pulled up into the syringe and safely away from the caliper. After the air has been removed from the line, you can begin the brake bleed process.

I had my first go at bleeding the brakes a few weeks ago following a good youtube video which went well & the brakes felt good after. The video I followed filled the syringe with new oil & the waste oil went into the cup at the top on the lever assembly. The only part of the process that I couldn't work out was how to get the syringe tube onto the nipple without having a small air bubble present. I ended up trying to slide it on whilst pressing the syringe gently so oil was coming out the end expending the air bubble. That made for a bit more unnecessary mess.
Doing it the reverse way makes much more sense. I wish I'd seen that video first.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Sometimes, a small pocket of air can be trapped inside the syringe hose and the caliper bleeder nipple. If you were to push on the syringe plunger, it would push the air pocket into the brake caliper and cause issues. You want to avoid doing this.

I had my first go at bleeding the brakes a few weeks ago following a good youtube video which went well & the brakes felt good after. The video I followed filled the syringe with new oil & the waste oil went into the cup at the top on the lever assembly. The only part of the process that I couldn't work out was how to get the syringe tube onto the nipple without having a small air bubble present. I ended up trying to slide it on whilst pressing the syringe gently so oil was coming out the end expending the air bubble. That made for a bit more unnecessary mess.
Doing it the reverse way makes much more sense. I wish I'd seen that video first.
[/QUOTE]

The key trick is to pull a vacuum with the syringe by pulling back on the plunger. I then loosen the bleed nipple and I remove the plug from the fill cup. As I pull back on the plunger, this will draw fluid from the fill cup and also any air pockets trapped in the bleed nipple and the syringe tube created when the tube was first attached to the bleed nipple. After I've pulled all air pockets from the syringe tube and caliper, I then begin the bleed process. My absolute favorite part in the process is when the tube pops off the nipple and brake fluid goes everywhere....

Air trapped in a brake hose can sometimes take time to reach the highest point in the brake system, i.e. the brake lever on the handlebar. After I've performed a bleed, I like to do a few rides. After a few days have past, I like to re-attach the fill cup to the brake lever. I fill the cup about a 1/4 way with fluid. I then pump my brake lever. You will often see any remaining air in the system drift up into the fill cup.

Good job on your first brake bleed!

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
whould this work for the brakes i have avid xo trail?

I've yet to use the tool but I will be ordering one. I think the Avid piston tool should work with your calipers.

The tool concept is the same regardless if you have a two or four piston Hope, Avid, SRAM or Shimano calipers.

The issue is that when you squeeze the brake lever to advance the pistons out for cleaning, any sticking pistons will stay stuck in their bore's while the free moving pistons will easily advance out. You want the opposite. You want the free pistons to remain in their bores and you want the stuck piston to advance out for cleaning. The trick is to get the stuck piston to advance out for cleaning, without blowing the unstuck pistons out of their bores and thus forcing a system re-bleed.

The tool accomplishes this by allowing you to position/rotate the block so that only the stuck piston can move and the remainder pistons are stopped from advancing outwards when the brake lever is squeezed. I've yet to use this tool, but it looks very useful if it works.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Those little plastic widgets are cool. Next time I work on my brakes, I'll allocate a little extra time to carve one out of aluminum. It's no easy feat squeezing the lever with one hand, while holding three pistons with the other, and hoping you don't pop the fourth piston out of its bore.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles