Park Tool WH-2 or similar?

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Being a tool myself I’ve now managed to get more Stans on the garage floor than there is in the tyre! So I’m thinking……..is there an easy solution to holding the wheel rigidly to enable me to work on the tyre/wheel?
A search of the net brings up the WH-2 which seems to be a simple albeit expensive solution to my problem. Not sure however if the axle from the Trek will fit on this.
So two questions:
1) Anyone any idea if this is ok for the Trek or
2) Anyone got any other suggestions or solutions for a simple method of working on the wheel. Primarily for getting some Stans in the tyre. N.B. I don’t want to take the tyre off even partly as I’d never ever get it back on again!!!!! (That’s another disaster)

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Seat the bead with the valve out before putting in sealant. I run it up to 40psi or so with a compressor, but have used a floor pump. Then if you go carefully after 30 seconds or so, you should be able to use a 100cc syringe to put sealant in after disconnecting the pump (and after the air stops). The sidewalls should hold their shape enough with the wheel on the ground leaned against something.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Seat the bead with the valve out before putting in sealant. I run it up to 40psi or so with a compressor, but have used a floor pump. Then if you go carefully after 30 seconds or so, you should be able to use a 100cc syringe to put sealant in after disconnecting the pump (and after the air stops). The sidewalls should hold their shape enough with the wheel on the ground leaned against something.
Same as ☝

Just use one of these through the valve core EDIT - I remove the valve core first!. No mess then and no need for a stand.

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Depending what else you intend to do with you wheel (trueing it for example), I just flip the bike over onto its bars and seat. Since I use Cushcore inserts, I also use a syringe with some aquarium tubing attached to it to put sealant into my tires after pumping them up to set the bead. For anything major, I will use a bike stand.

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Looked at that injector thingy before but wasn't convinced that it would work. Thanks though for the info as it appears that I might have been wrong. Not unusual.:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Looked at that injector thingy before but wasn't convinced that it would work. Thanks though for the info as it appears that I might have been wrong. Not unusual.:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Well... it can get a little messy if you are not holding the Stans injector nozzle on tight to the valve stem which is why I switched to poppet valves as presta valves a crap when trying to seat a bead using sealant (they dont allow enough air flow) and are even worse when using sealant with inserts as they plug up :rolleyes:. This is why I made my own using a large syringe and some tubing that fits tight onto the valve stem. YMMV

Poppet Valves: Reserve Wheels Fillmore Tubeless Valves | Jenson USA

Stans sealant injector with crappy nozzle
stans injector.jpg

DIY Injector which is much better as it can be pushed onto the valve stem

syringe.JPG

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
After I blast compressor air to seat both sides of the tire bead, I add the correct amount of sealant thru the presta valve. Then I replace the psi valve, pump up to approximately 30 psi, roll the tire around, check for leaks, roll some more if necessary, go for a ride then check again. These are the tools I use;
182D5950-8AA9-405D-90FE-E2556F962D60.jpeg

Both are reusable sealant containers with approximately 88ml. I keep larger containers as a refill. Bontrager and Muck-off. Haven’t had much luck with Stan’s, it seems to dry-out much faster or congeales on the shelf. Maybe I need to shake it more often.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
1. clean the wheel thoroughly
2. put the tyre on
3. push the beads in towards the centre of the wheel both sides
4. Seat the tyre beads with an Airshot
5. Remove the valve core
6. Insert Stans via the valve...........I tried the Stans injector...did not fit! I use a cheap chinese syringe with tube off Ebay plus the adaptor you would use to inflate a plastic ball.
7. Re install valve core and re inflate tyre to 30/40 psi
8. bounce the wheel on the ground to firmly seat the beads and rotate to spread the sealant
9. Lay the wheel flat on a bucket for 10 mins each side
10 Go for a short ride
11. Check pressure...leave at 30 psi overnight
12. Do a proper ride but with pressure higher than normal.......I usually run 22f/24r so ride with 24f/26r
13. next ride use normal pressures.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
I'd only add to the previous
I remove the valve core before seating the bead.
I don't seem to have to do the horizontal over a bucket thing using "tubeless easy" but did with earlier "tubeless ready". I think the sidewalls are more airtight.
Actually maybe it's the other way round...newer ones seem better whatever they are.

Anyway, good advice, can't hurt.

Last edited:

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Thanks all. That's the garage floor cleaned. I'll have another go when I've recovered from the trauma of the disaster:)

skinipenem

Apr 9, 2022
skinipenem
For mtb tires and moto tires I put sealant in after setting one side of the tire on the rim. I'm careful not to spill while setting the other side. Then I seat the beads on the mtb tires with a compressor.

I use a homemade kit when I forget to put sealant in (doh!) Or need a top off on dry environs. 1/4" ID tubing and any old squeeze bottle drilling a hole in the cap. Schrader valve.

Not sure if this answers the original question since I skimmed the thread.
20220515_090744.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I'd only add to the previous
I remove the valve core before seating the bead.
I don't seem to have to do the horizontal over a bucket thing using "tubeless easy" but did with earlier "tubeless ready". I think the sidewalls are more airtight. Anyway, good advice, can't hurt.
yep same

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm a proponent of the syringe. What I'm NOT a fan of is paying Stan $10 for one syringe. My preference is for a 10cc Leur Lock syringe. Currently, they're $20 for a box of 100 from Amazon. They fit right over the Presta stem. Once syringe will last almost indefinitely if you rinse it off after use. Since you'll have 99 extra syringes, you can give a handful to each of your friends. You can use them to measure suspension fluid. And since they're so cheap, it doesn't matter if you use them with harsh chemicals that ruin them.

Kilham5

Mar 12, 2020
North Yorkshire
With five bikes, all running Stans sealant I am very happy my $/£10 Stans injector.
The black hose end actually screws onto the valve, having both Schreader and Presta threads, one inside the other.
I don't loose any sealant at all (at that stage).

I still consistently get Stans all over the garage floor though.
But thats when my Dementia forgets to close the cap on the bottle and I knock it over while pumping the tyre back up.

Thinking of swapping to Silka Sealant on the road bikes, supposedly better at high pressures, but not injectable.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
With five bikes, all running Stans sealant I am very happy my $/£10 Stans injector.
The black hose end actually screws onto the valve, having both Schreader and Presta threads, one inside the other.
I don't loose any sealant at all (at that stage).

I still consistently get Stans all over the garage floor though.
But thats when my Dementia forgets to close the cap on the bottle and I knock it over while pumping the tyre back up.

Thinking of swapping to Silka Sealant on the road bikes, supposedly better at high pressures, but not injectable.
.........now that is where Stans could definitely make an improvement! I refer to the bottle........tall and with small base...tailor made to fall over as you try to pull some fluid up into a syringe which needs 2 hands leaving no hand free to hold the bottle!! I made a base out of a kitchen plastic container by cutting a hole in it the same shape as the Stans bottle to solve the problem, having knocked one over before!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles