OZ DIY DH EMTB

Supra

Apr 17, 2021
Australia
Here's a bit of a write up on my two DIY EMTB bikes.

I live in Margaret River West Australia and mainly ride downhill slopes with a bit of singletrack trail riding.
Put a bit of weight on a couple of years ago , and combined with my age ,67, just got sick of riding back up to the top of the hill, so decided to put a Tongsheng 500W TZSD into an old 2006 Giant Trance frame.
I loved it, so much fun, but the old geometry wasn't really conducive to going down hills at speed, and with the Tongsheng's power even going up hills at speed would cause the front wheel to wash out on tight bends.
I bought a cheapish RST Killah 200mm coil DH fork , with 27.5" wheel and that transformed the bike into something else. Still not as slack as present day DH bikes but much more compliant going up and down hills. With a 26" on the back it has good accelleration . I then had to put 200m rotors and XT brakes on it to keep up with the pace. Its got plenty of clearance , only have a scrape on the steepest of rollovers . 10.5Ah battery , plenty of capacity for 60-90 minutes of climbing and descending .
It has a 34 tooth chainring and 9 speed cassette.

giantframe.jpg

giantgear.jpg

I enjoyed the Giant so much I decided to keep my eyes open for a newer dedicated DH bike to motorise. Very fortunate to get a rare 2016 Morewood Makulu DH bike. I saw the crowdfunding site for the Italian Bikee Lightest emotor , only 1.6 kg and able to be installed up out of the way . I signed up, but a year later they still havent delivered, and I wanted to get the Morewood going so bad, I bought another TZSD . Again 500W , but 100mm BB length to suit the wider BB on Morewood. 10.5Ah Battery is mounted under downtube , and no problems at all with clearance , again only steepest rollovers a chance of contact with the motor. 152mm cranks as the BB is low , as on most DH bikes.
This bike is a bomb, it took me a little while to get used to the slack geometry , you have to use more of your body to steer it downhill, but its so fast and so much fun.
I put a bit of money into this bike , DT Swiss wheels, XT brakes, full fork service (Fox 40) , dropper seat , etc.
It has a 38T chainring with 10 speed cassette. The chainline on the top 3 gears isn't great, but a homebuilt chain guide keeps it on, and I always carry a spare chain.
Only problem is that its way down on power compared to the Giant. I still want to get a workout, so I only use Level 1 of 4 on the Giant - it takes the real grunt out of uphills, but I still get to work up a sweat.
On the Morewood I have to use level 4 to get the same power . Despite asking questions I've never been able to find the reason.
A friend thinks the later model motors have different torque sensing settings compared to the earlier motors. It could also be the display units as they are different - VCLD5 on the Giant , VCLD6 on the Morewood.
I've ordered a controller and display flashed with the Open Source Firmware which should solve the power problem and give me a lot of fine adjustments to the motors characteristics.

moreframe.jpg

Morecane.jpg

moregear.jpg

I'm very happy with these bikes, I've gone on rides with guys who are 30 years younger than me, on ebikes that cost a hell of a lot more and they cant keep up with my unrestricted motors . I use the Morewood when I'm mostly doing downhill stuff and the Giant when I'm rock-hopping or tight singletrack.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Cool project. I don't know if I'd have the battery on the outside of the downtube on a DH bike.. If it gets a decent hit it's a significant LiOn fire risk. I'd want it inside the triangle, at least.

Gordon

Supra

Apr 17, 2021
Australia
Cool project. I don't know if I'd have the battery on the outside of the downtube on a DH bike.. If it gets a decent hit it's a significant LiOn fire risk. I'd want it inside the triangle, at least.

Gordon
Agree , but no room on this one , and when your doing 30kmh down a hill with 6" between trees , its not something to worry about.

Snorkel

Jul 5, 2021
Brisbane, Oz
Nice looking rig.
I'm just getting into MTBs & need a lot of work on my fitness.
Like you, I bought a Tongsheng 500W TZSD kit to let me get up hills so my 18-yr-old doesn't leave me too far in the dust.
Where did you get the smaller chain-rings for the TZSD?? I've just go the stock 42 tooth that came with kit, but am pretty sure it will be too big.
Any advice on putting them together for a complete newbie?? I had my nephew (bike mechanic) & son (keen amateur) fir the engine, but they got a bit lost with connceting the cabling from the engine to the battery. There doesn't seem to be a decent connector to fit the cables together. I think something was missing from the kit.

IMG_7325.JPG

IMG_7327.JPG

IMG_7359.JPG

Supra

Apr 17, 2021
Australia
Nice looking rig.
I'm just getting into MTBs & need a lot of work on my fitness.
Like you, I bought a Tongsheng 500W TZSD kit to let me get up hills so my 18-yr-old doesn't leave me too far in the dust.
Where did you get the smaller chain-rings for the TZSD?? I've just go the stock 42 tooth that came with kit, but am pretty sure it will be too big.
Any advice on putting them together for a complete newbie?? I had my nephew (bike mechanic) & son (keen amateur) fir the engine, but they got a bit lost with connceting the cabling from the engine to the battery. There doesn't seem to be a decent connector to fit the cables together. I think something was missing from the kit.

View attachment 65949

View attachment 65950

You'll have to get some bullet connectors from an auto shop and crimp them onto wire , make sure you can only connect them correct way, reverse voltage will kill controller. Cut those red and black connectors off, you want reversed connections for positive and negative so they can get mixed up. I'll post a pix if you dont follow.
34T chainring is best for MTB - on aliexpress and ebay , just search tongsheng 34T.
You'll love an EMTB , but if you havent done it before be careful, busting body bits is part of learning MTB

Snorkel

Jul 5, 2021
Brisbane, Oz
You'll have to get some bullet connectors from an auto shop and crimp them onto wire , make sure you can only connect them correct way, reverse voltage will kill controller. Cut those red and black connectors off, you want reversed connections for positive and negative so they can get mixed up. I'll post a pix if you dont follow.
34T chainring is best for MTB - on aliexpress and ebay , just search tongsheng 34T.
You'll love an EMTB , but if you havent done it before be careful, busting body bits is part of learning MTB
Cheers, bloke. I appreciate it.
I would indeed also appreciate some pix (I'm something of a numpty about this stuff, although I certainly DO know that there's a truckload that I don't know.......).
I will definitely be taking it careful. It took a while to heal after my last c/cycle crash and that was 25 years ago.....I'm out to have fun, not get broken.
This Tonsheng/HT kit is an experiment to see whether I go buy a Norco/Merida eMTB eventually. I'm definitely keen....

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
A huge amount of time and resources have gone into the TSDZ2 engine by a large number of people tinkering and reprogramming, a lot on here are a bit miffy about there use as a conversion rather than the real thing but a great unit to wet your toes into EMTB before loading out on the latest Whyte. You can get 750W's out of them pretty comfortably if you do the heat dissipation upgrades and the you can have no display right through to all singing and dancing full colour displays with the OSF available.

Do your self a favour though and do the heat upgrade fairly soon as above 500W's for long periods can push the engine temps up a bit high. Biggest user mistake is to put your foot on a pedal as you start the unit up, the unit calibrates itself on every new boot up and any weight on the peddle really screws with that calibration.

E10 with TSDZ2 engine.JPG

As an alternative to the M600 motor in the E10.

Supra

Apr 17, 2021
Australia
A huge amount of time and resources have gone into the TSDZ2 engine by a large number of people tinkering and reprogramming, a lot on here are a bit miffy about there use as a conversion rather than the real thing but a great unit to wet your toes into EMTB before loading out on the latest Whyte. You can get 750W's out of them pretty comfortably if you do the heat dissipation upgrades and the you can have no display right through to all singing and dancing full colour displays with the OSF available.

Do your self a favour though and do the heat upgrade fairly soon as above 500W's for long periods can push the engine temps up a bit high. Biggest user mistake is to put your foot on a pedal as you start the unit up, the unit calibrates itself on every new boot up and any weight on the peddle really screws with that calibration.

View attachment 65955

Interesting you remark on heat conversion, I've had no problems at all with heat , running 48V and 10.5 aH battery. Did a mountain day of 8 really big climbs/ 8 descents, flattened 2 batteries , but no heat at all. Maybe 34T chainring and staying in bigger gear?
The TSDZ2 do seem to vary in quality, I've had 4 motors now, and one has definitely been the better motor (on my Giant) . Could be something to do with how they are programmed.
Yeah people do get a bit miffed with my DIY bikes, especially when their >$5K shop bike cant keep up with my beast. I certainly wouldnt pay that much money for a bike that has half the power .
And the big companies like Giant are pure bastards to deal with when it comes to spare parts, warranties etc. I know from experience back in my pedal only days , Bike sitting unused because I couldnt get parts. Complete indifference from Giant , wouldnt even think of buying an ebike from them, and I would do serious investigation into a companies back up before I bought an expensive ebike.
Which I wouldnt do because I can get a better bike that I built myself and can keep it going .

Supra

Apr 17, 2021
Australia
Cheers, bloke. I appreciate it.
I would indeed also appreciate some pix (I'm something of a numpty about this stuff, although I certainly DO know that there's a truckload that I don't know.......).
I will definitely be taking it careful. It took a while to heal after my last c/cycle crash and that was 25 years ago.....I'm out to have fun, not get broken.
This Tonsheng/HT kit is an experiment to see whether I go buy a Norco/Merida eMTB eventually. I'm definitely keen....

Sorry for delay in posting pix. Bullet conectors, reversed so cant connect wrong polarity . Its a good idea to put a bit of heatshrink over to waterproof.

20210708_085123.jpg

Snorkel

Jul 5, 2021
Brisbane, Oz
OK, bike is now mobile. Many thanks for the advice, which helped greatly. Gobs of power & just need to tweek the gearing (bit clattery....)
Only have two issues now.....
Display works, but doesnt show speed & distance. I'm presuming this has something to do with the speed sensor......
Battery seems a bit 'wobbly', even after application of zip-ties (which are pretty much holding the whole conversion together....). I didn't realise how big the 48V/17.5 battery was going to be. Bloody thing is HUGE.....

Supra

Apr 17, 2021
Australia
OK, bike is now mobile. Many thanks for the advice, which helped greatly. Gobs of power & just need to tweek the gearing (bit clattery....)
Display works, but doesnt show speed & distance. I'm presuming this has something to do with the speed sensor......
Battery seems a bit 'wobbly', even after application of zip-ties (which are pretty much holding the whole conversion together....). I didn't realise how big the 48V/17.5 battery was going to be. Bloody thing is HUGE.....

Yeah it will be speed sensor , make sure all pins are connecting , sometimes you have to fiddle with distance to magnet to get best response. Theres a mark on sensor to align.

Supra

Apr 17, 2021
Australia

I sikaflex the mount to frame

TreadMTB

Jul 12, 2022
Earth

View attachment 65955

I know this is an older thread but that's a very nice bracket for tsdz2 in m600 frame, do you have a thread or post on this build? did you buy or make that bracket yourself? I want one of these frames but don't want to also have to buy motor at the same time. I was thinking maybe use my existing tsdz2 till I can get the bafang ultra. TIA

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I know this is an older thread but that's a very nice bracket for tsdz2 in m600 frame, do you have a thread or post on this build? did you buy or make that bracket yourself? I want one of these frames but don't want to also have to buy motor at the same time. I was thinking maybe use my existing tsdz2 till I can get the bafang ultra. TIA
I made the bracket from scratch unfortunately. The downside is to be honest that it took too long to design and machine and is too complicated to be worthwhile as a project. The up side is it worked extremely well and if you have more than a few months before the arrival of your Ultra and access to both a mill and lathe, then why not.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles