Owning an E-Sommet out of warranty......?

Trailing Edge

May 15, 2019
UK
Jeremy Clarkson once said "you don't own an Alfa Romeo, you have a relationship with one"

That's how I feel about my e-Sommet. It's been easily the most fun I've ever had with a bike in the nearly 2 years I've owned it. It's also been the most frustrating with three warranty claims (motor, battery and power cable).

So, I now have a fully working e-Sommet, with the motor, battery and power cable only six months old. I still absolutely love riding the bike, but I'm concerned that a year from now I'll be plagued by issues again.

Anyone out there with older e-Sommets? Have you had many out of warranty problems? Do new parts from Shimano that have been replaced come with a new 2 year warranty? Does anyone have any experience of using third party motor repair services on Shimano motors?

Thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Mine is still going strong, bought in April 2018, though a bit like triggers broom the only original parts left on it are the frame, wheels (though they have new bearings at both ends) and battery. I am about to replace all the bearings and related hardware on the bike, still on the originals which have survived remarkably well, but after 3 British winters they are beginning to go. I never invisframed it or anything, and I am not fussed about a bit of trail patina, but paintwork has held up well considering Vitus haven't had the best reputation for this down the years.

I had a replacement motor in late 2019 - I warrantied it via my LBS direct with Mafsion, as CRC where useless at getting back to me. At the time of the replacement motor I was told that it came with a new 2 year warranty, that wasn't tied into to the age of the bike. Thats the only problem I have had with the bike, and I still love it - I have ridden most of the latest bikes and still wouldnt swap my E-Somett, and have just invested in the new 630wh external battery.

Inevitably the motor will go pop again at some stage, I am confident if it goes within the 2 years since it was replaced it will be another warranty, if not I will use have to fork out for a new one, though it seems like options for repairing them are getting better now.

Not sure how many miles it has done as I binned the main display ages ago, but got to be somewhere around 4k

Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 12.24.08.png

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Much the same as R120 also April 18, except I'm on motor #3 and nothing original but the frame/forks which look like new cos I taped it ? . What a crackin bike, can't decide whether or not to sell it now I have a new one...not sure what it's worth now either ...
esommet apr2020.jpg

Trailing Edge

May 15, 2019
UK
Thanks Guys

I must admit, my thinking is very similar to you guys. I was wondering if the new shimano parts are covered by a new warranty, so that's encouraging!

Mines has a few tweaks too. New bars, upgraded to GX Eagle DT, longer dropper, spare battery and MegNeg Can.

Looking at the newer bikes they're not that much of an improvement from what I can see........ oh, fist world problems! ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The new version looks to be good, its a bit heavy for my liking but that the trade off for the bigger internal battery, and of course its a mullet. I suspect an absolute weapon on the right terrain.

Trailing Edge

May 15, 2019
UK
Yeah, it’s quite a bit slacker than the old model. Some of the eMTBs are starting to get more like DH with motors. Check out the new offering from Canyon. All looks quite tempting if I had the skills to go with it!

Trailing Edge

May 15, 2019
UK
Well, after a little further deliberation I’m keeping my 19’ e-Sommet

If it helps for the future, I emailed Madison (Shimano U.K.) this week. They have confirmed that new replaced parts under warranty come with their own new 2 year warranty. Happy days!!

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
Mine is still going strong, bought in April 2018, though a bit like triggers broom the only original parts left on it are the frame, wheels (though they have new bearings at both ends) and battery. I am about to replace all the bearings and related hardware on the bike, still on the originals which have survived remarkably well, but after 3 British winters they are beginning to go. I never invisframed it or anything, and I am not fussed about a bit of trail patina, but paintwork has held up well considering Vitus haven't had the best reputation for this down the years.

I had a replacement motor in late 2019 - I warrantied it via my LBS direct with Mafsion, as CRC where useless at getting back to me. At the time of the replacement motor I was told that it came with a new 2 year warranty, that wasn't tied into to the age of the bike. Thats the only problem I have had with the bike, and I still love it - I have ridden most of the latest bikes and still wouldnt swap my E-Somett, and have just invested in the new 630wh external battery.

Inevitably the motor will go pop again at some stage, I am confident if it goes within the 2 years since it was replaced it will be another warranty, if not I will use have to fork out for a new one, though it seems like options for repairing them are getting better now.

Not sure how many miles it has done as I binned the main display ages ago, but got to be somewhere around 4k

View attachment 52947
Hi r120
Is that pic with the 630wh battery?

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
I guess I'm in a kinda similar position. 2019 E-Sommet, a couple of months left on the original warranty. Bought an additional battery and charger fairly early on. Replaced the rear wheel with a handbuilt HX531/Hope Pro4 last summer, OneUp dropper in Sept, EnduroMax frame bearings in Nov and full new drivetrain this week. First motor gave up last Oct, replacement motor lasted 2 rides. So as of Dec it had another new motor fitted, new comms cable and new lower battery mount/motor cable. Warranty fitted by LBS so with new 2 year warranty.

Thing is, during the Oct-Dec period I got so p ssed off that I ordered a Rail 7, the latest guess being arrival end of Apr. Got a good deal on it and that was before prices went up £500. Can't have both bikes, so stick or twist? Let the Rail go or "upgrade" and sell off the E-Sommet?!!

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Chap on YouTube (KevBev?) went from E-Sommet to Rail and rated the E-Sommet more highly, at least for DH. He did swap sizes though (L E-Sommet, XL Rail) which may explain.

Test rides aren't really a thing at the moment though... ? You've got the time it takes the board to revolve... GAMBLE!...!

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Yeah, similar here too. My 2018 had a new motor about 7 months ago so still got nearly a year and a half warranty on it. Is the warranty transferable though? Who knows.
The battery has seen better days so I want a 630wh but none available at the moment. I love the bike, have upgraded nearly everything. I'm also not that enthused about a new bike due to the increased weight of newer models. If I did replace it I'd probably look to go Bosch gen4, particularly as a mate has just got dealer status.
So I'm really in two minds, sell it now when it's worth something or just run it until it goes pop and hope still in warranty? Should also mention a mate's E8000 died last week, his is out of warranty and Madison told him they can't (which really means won't) do anything to help him out. They have said they will give him a new 2 year warranty on a replacement motor if he gets a dealer to fit it, none in the country though. So he has a new motor en route from Germany, 700 euro and it's currently stuck in customs so prob going to get stung for charges, likely to run him a grand by the time it's fitted.
Also means his old motor is landfill, not exactly great for the environment if the manufacturers aren't refurbing or recycling what they can. Pretty shit of Shimano/Madison all round really.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
He also couldn't find a dealer to fit it in a timescale less than a month so got pissed off and did it himself. So theoretically that means he has a new motor with no warranty if Madison are going to be dicks about it

MikeAxles

Jul 4, 2020
Bridgend
Appreciate the response. CRC/Wiggle have my old e-sommet (that had the motor die) on ebay at the moment (sans motor). Considering buying it back and going down that route.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Extra power output from a 1kg increase in overall weight ?
You serious bruv? ?

It'll still be lighter than most internal 630wh battery Eebs

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Ah. I see. So... the "power output" is the same but there's just more of it?

Is there any way that the weight of the bigger battery would affect the range of the ride given perhaps the higher usage needed to heft it around (is what I mean)?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You notice the extra weight but to what extent will depend on how you ride. For general trail riding it’s not noticeable but when getting a bit more rowdy you do.

I still mostly ride with the smaller battery, only going for the bigger option if looking at at an over 25mile ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles