@%23FGD3
Product Image:
raptor 14.png

Product name: Osprey Raptor 14 Men's MTB Backpack
Price paid: 149 USD
Score (out of 10): 8

Review: Let me first introduce Osprey Raptor/Raven series:
This series of Osprey hydration packs have 4 models:
Raptor 10, Raptor 14, Raven 10 and Raven 14, where Raven packs designed for women because of one ergonomic feature regarding the shoulder straps.
There are also minor size difference between 14 and 10 products.

During this 2019 year I've been using my Raptor 14. I spend a lot of time in the saddle each week. So this is not the first backpack I've tested myself.
And I wouldn't dare to say for sure if it's worth the money or not. Comparing to Camelback or other alternatives Osprey has some different pros and cons. But what is a miss for me, may mean nothing to you.

Osprey and Camelbak
The Osprey is more difficult to adjust. The main shoulder straps do not pull tight as easily as the Camelbak's do.
The overall shape of the bag is tapered from bottom to top. Even though The Osprey is described as a 14L volume, I couldn't get any more gear into it than the 11L Camelbak
Also it doesn't have a back protector as stated by review website.

Osprey Raptor 14 feature from official Osprey website.
(link: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/raptor-14-RAPTOR14S19.html )
  • Countouring AirScape backpanel and bike-specific shape harness
  • Included Osprey Hydraulics® LT 2.5L reservoir by Hydrapak
  • Hydration sleeve with direct-zip access and hose path for easy loading
  • Lightweight sternum strap magnet for easy access to water
  • Scratch-free, heat-embossed zippered slash pocket
  • Stretch mesh zippered hipbelt pockets
  • LidLock bike helmet attachment
  • Stretch mesh front pocket for quickly stashing extra gear
  • Blinker light attachment and reflective patch for safety
  • Removable roll-up tool pouch keeps tools handy and organized
  • Bike tool organization in main compartment
  • Front panel zippered stash pocket
  • Side compression straps double as a full face helmet carry

What I like
Osprey hydration packs have special padding to let air flow on your back to keep you cooler while riding.
The helmet grabber on top is also useful when packing for the long trips and keeping it all in one spot.
Additionally, these packs have specific pockets for your tools, sunglasses, wallets, keys, food, and much more…It doesn't mean Camelbakor other manufacturers make MTB backpacks without pockets. But it's about where these pockets are located.

The RAPTOR 14 absolutely kills it on storage. There are enough pockets to keep your gear totally organized and easily accessible, so you will never have to waste a bunch of time digging around for something when you need it fast. Things like FIRST AID, for instance, or an extra bike tube, or perhaps that oh so important ally, Gold Bond.
(Link: 8 Best MTB Backpacks (Updated 2019) | WildProofGear )

I should mention the bladder, ofc.
The hydration bladder is great. Very easy to use/clean with plenty of capacity. (it is rly about 2.5L as advertised)

So, why 8 out of 10?
I think, it's the price. They could do it a bit more affrodable.
And with some specific hint like back protector it would be much sweetier offet than Camelbak.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Nice review! Been using one of these for about a year and love it. Picked it up on a clearance sale for €74 so that moves it up to a 9 out of 10 for me. Would be a 10/10 if it was waterproof...

PaulBlair

Nov 16, 2019
@%23FGD3
Nice review! Been using one of these for about a year and love it. Picked it up on a clearance sale for €74 so that moves it up to a 9 out of 10 for me. Would be a 10/10 if it was waterproof...
Oh, I forgot to mention that. Waterproofing is something that may be important. Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles