Ordered my 2019 Trek Powerfly FS 5 yesterday, canceling tomorrow for Powerfly 5 non fs

Timmygp

Jul 29, 2018
Lake Charles la
I have been back and fourth on this decision and it really comes down to $1,000 savings, also have been riding a 29er for the last few years and I was suprised to find the full suspension (fs) only comes in 27’ wheels and the non fs comes in the 29er.
Most of my riding will be around town and occasionally local state park with decent not crazy trails, I have never rode a full suspension bike so I don’t think I need it now. Another justification for my decision was getting the low end fs 5, with inferior components to the fs7 or fs9. I just hope it doesn’t piss my dealer off, they’ll get over it the 2019 powerfly5 non fs is still $3,599.
Any thoughts?

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
I have a powerfly 8 lt with nobby nics. Best recommendation would be to go tubeless right from the start and get some tubless repair dog turd thingys to repare the punctures. I had tons of punctures initially but turds and tubeless have made it nuch less of a problem

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
I'd recommend against a hardtail E-bike for any off-road use but the smoothest trails.

I have a 29er hardtail non-E bike (Chisel) that I ride on and off-road and a 29er hardtail E-bike (Vado*) for road use. The Chisel is light weight and great fun on tarmac and on dirt, but the Vado is really only suitable for the smoothest terrain. There's just too much unsprung weight on an hardtail E-bike to work well off-road. The suspension fork takes a bit off front impacts, but the extra 15-20 lb. or so from the battery and motor weight the rear end so much that you can't absorb bumps and shocks with your legs the way you can on a regular bike and any drops would probably cause damage. E-bikes are also generally built a bit stronger than non-E-bikes, so they're less compliant and even less forgiving on rough surfaces.

In contrast, my full suspension E-bike (Levo) performs off-road almost as well as my full squish non-E bike (Stumpy). Mount up some smoother 27.5 tires and they also do fine on the street as hooligan bikes (except for the 20mph cut-off). I've even tried 29er wheels on both bikes but prefer 27.5 for the quicker handling.

* My Vado is modified with a Manitou 100mm fork, 27.5 wheels, 2.3" tires, and a dropper post. I can manage on smooth trails, but it's not an off-road bike by any stretch of the imagination.

Vado1.jpg

Mrs. levity showing that it is possible when conditions are right-

Vado2.jpg

Timmygp

Jul 29, 2018
Lake Charles la
The powerfly 5 full suspension is being delivered today and it just so happens the bike shop is having a tax free weekend this weekend that I didn’t even know about, so that is going to save me an additional $500. I ride a traditional hard tail mb right now and it’s fine on the trails, I honestly didn’t consider the extra weight of an ebike on the trails - that’s a very good point.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I think a lot depends on where you ride - I tried a Cannondale HT today in Lake Garda and it was useless on steepish loose rocks and gravel. It had 29 wheels but bounced around a lot even at lower pressure. The guide said I was the first person he’d seen ride it on a HT Ebike.

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Timmy!!
How's that FS treating you man?
Any ride reports? What's it like onroad? How's that dreaded Bosch drag?

Also - your wrist is a little broken at take away mate :)

olde-mtber

Nov 1, 2019
New Zealand
I've gone from a 2014 Trek X caliber 6 to a FS 5 so went from hardtail 29er to a full suspension 27.5 and I feel more at home on the FS 5 Powerfly than I did on the X caliber 6. So I would stick with the FS 5 Powerfly but at the end of the day it's what you feel the happiest on for me I'd never go back to a hardtail 29er.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles