Orbea wild fs 2020 battery options

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
I've been thinking about this, should I pay for the frame mount battery option, or just save the £120 and put this towards buying an another in frame battery? Anyone know if the 500 w battery would fit in or does It need to be the 625w.

Thought's?

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
I've been thinking about this, should I pay for the frame mount battery option, or just save the £120 and put this towards buying an another in frame battery? Anyone know if the 500 w battery would fit in or does It need to be the 625w.

Thought's?
both feat inside beacuse there are only one aluminium frame and exits also H25 With 625W and H15 With 500W, you can visit orbea.com and see

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
Well having seen a video of a wild fs with the frame mount for the extra battery, Im not liking the look of the bike with this fitted, so I think I will go down the route of another internal battery, and just put it in my back pack.

sarnie63

Apr 15, 2019
East Yorkshire

Thought's?
To swap from 625 to 500 internal you will need to unbolt the top battery mount and then refit it Lower down to allow for the different battery length. Not exactly something you would want to be doing while out on a big ride......
The 625 battery is a big weight to have on your back too.
One of the main reasons I’ve bought the Orbea is to be able to mount the second battery externally. It feels so much better riding without the battery weight in my backpack!

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi, you can buy a spacer that clips onto the battery to take up the size difference. Dealer says it would fit with no issues, once the spacer is fitted.
I get what your saying about the back pack, but will see what I think later before I make a final decision!!!

Fastbike666

Dec 10, 2019
Manchester
I have just Px,d my Merida for a Orbea.
Reasons : 1. Bosch CX motor
2. 625Whr battery
3. Extra battery bolt on.
Had extra battery with Merida that went in back pack but that was alot smaller than Bosch battery.
Not to botherd about looks with extra battery attached.
Alot better than putting in back pack.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If anyone is looking for a 500Wh frame battery I have one for sale. Only 2 charges on it. PM me for more details.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Neither, it's the external frame battery for when you have the dual battery capability.

klevtik

Jan 15, 2020
Ukraine
Can you put bottle holder in place where external battery is when you are not using external battery?
IMG_20200421_141415.jpg

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
To swap from 625 to 500 internal you will need to unbolt the top battery mount and then refit it Lower down to allow for the different battery length. Not exactly something you would want to be doing while out on a big ride......
The 625 battery is a big weight to have on your back too.
One of the main reasons I’ve bought the Orbea is to be able to mount the second battery externally. It feels so much better riding without the battery weight in my backpack!

I looked into this and actually to swap bigger or smaller battery you have to swap the lower mount. Not the top mount. The top mount can not be moved as the provision for the lock is only on the upper mount.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
Hi, you can buy a spacer that clips onto the battery to take up the size difference. Dealer says it would fit with no issues, once the spacer is fitted.
I get what your saying about the back pack, but will see what I think later before I make a final decision!!!

I’ve been looking for this spacers and I can’t find anything.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Has anyone installed the wiring and holder for the dual/external battery themselves? What's the process like? I'm handy as a mechanic but if it involves dropping the motor or some other headache I'd rather just pay someone else to do it.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Dropping a motor is relatively easy but I'm pretty sure the motor firmware needs updating to run two batteries so it would still have to go to a dealer at some point.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Dropping a motor is relatively easy but I'm pretty sure the motor firmware needs updating to run two batteries so it would still have to go to a dealer at some point.
Interesting. My dealer was planning on just shipping me the parts, so either it doesn't need an update or he doesn't know. Hmmm.

Micael

Feb 11, 2021
Portugal
Has anyone installed the wiring and holder for the dual/external battery themselves? What's the process like? I'm handy as a mechanic but if it involves dropping the motor or some other headache I'd rather just pay someone else to do it.

Doesn't seem to be a particularly difficult job, you can see an image of all the parts involved here https://www.terra-bike.es/25926-large_default/kit-segunda-bateria-orbea-wild-fs-2020.jpg it is essentially 3 different packs, from 3 different suppliers, you have the orbea kit, the abus lock, and then the bosch kit.

I would expect you to need to drop the motor, since I assume the cable that connects the battery to the rest of the wiring will go through that plastic cover close to the shock, which is above the motor, also even if it wasn't strictly required it would probably still make it easier to route the new cables that way.

As Doomanic pointed out, a firmware update is almost certainly required, if you look on this spanish website Kit Piecero Doble batería Wild FS (no afiliation with them), you can see it says "ES NECESARIA LA ACTUALIZACIÓN DEL FIRMWARE DE LA BICICLETA EN UN DISTRIBUIDOR BOSCH EBIKE PARA EL CORRECTO FUNCIONAMIENTO DE LA DOBLE BATERÍA."
Which means according to them the firmware update is necessary for the correct functioning of the double battery.

BTW if you have a purion display please let me know after you install it and update the firmware if it still keeps just showing 5 battery bars, or if they actually change it to something that isn't atrocious, since the 5 battery bars is already terrible for a 625w battery, and would only get worse when each of those bars would be equivalent to 225w of battery lol.

Last edited:

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
As Doomanic pointed out, a firmware update is almost certainly required, if you look on this spanish website Kit Piecero Doble batería Wild FS (no afiliation with them), you can see it says "ES NECESARIA LA ACTUALIZACIÓN DEL FIRMWARE DE LA BICICLETA EN UN DISTRIBUIDOR BOSCH EBIKE PARA EL CORRECTO FUNCIONAMIENTO DE LA DOBLE BATERÍA."
Which means according to them the firmware update is necessary for the correct functioning of the double battery.

Do either of you have any idea if it would be a motor or battery firmware update? My dealer is saying I can do the update over the phone, which I suspect is wrong.

Micael

Feb 11, 2021
Portugal
This is conjecture on my part, but I believe it would be an update on the motor since it seems to be the brains of the entire thing, both because it is the place where more features are activated according to the service report, but also because it is where every wire connects to, not to mention it is also the only component that isn't really made to be upgraded.
That being said technically speaking each component has its own firmware, so it wouldn't be impossible that the update could be on something else, or even on more than 1 place.

As for updating it over the phone, from what I have seen the idea I get is that firmware updates requires going to a store that can handle it (has the official Bosch software for it), but I have the god awful Purion which doesn't even allow connection to the phone, so it's possible it might a kiox thing.

From my research the Bosch system is quite anti consumer, and all around designed to lock the consumer to their service network, it was one of the reasons why I almost went for a giant trance x e+ 1 pro (but got an ok deal on a borderline new Orbea Wild FS), since giant allows software updates over the phone, the same as accessing basic service data like how many cycles your battery has, or *gasp* crazy features like knowing what battery percentage you have.
So yeah would genuinely not expect the second battery upgrade to really work out for you without a visit to a shop, but please let us know how it goes, and if it did indeed require a firmware update or not and so on.

Insane

Jan 30, 2020
Barcelona
I would not reccoment carrying a battery in your backpack. If you fall on it you may be on a wheelchair for the rest of your days.
The Orbea Wild stands out in many ways, one being that you can put the 2nd battery in the frame. Why would you carry it in the backpack, just for the looks? o_O

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
This is conjecture on my part, but I believe it would be an update on the motor since it seems to be the brains of the entire thing, both because it is the place where more features are activated according to the service report, but also because it is where every wire connects to, not to mention it is also the only component that isn't really made to be upgraded.
That being said technically speaking each component has its own firmware, so it wouldn't be impossible that the update could be on something else, or even on more than 1 place.

As for updating it over the phone, from what I have seen the idea I get is that firmware updates requires going to a store that can handle it (has the official Bosch software for it), but I have the god awful Purion which doesn't even allow connection to the phone, so it's possible it might a kiox thing.

From my research the Bosch system is quite anti consumer, and all around designed to lock the consumer to their service network, it was one of the reasons why I almost went for a giant trance x e+ 1 pro (but got an ok deal on a borderline new Orbea Wild FS), since giant allows software updates over the phone, the same as accessing basic service data like how many cycles your battery has, or *gasp* crazy features like knowing what battery percentage you have.
So yeah would genuinely not expect the second battery upgrade to really work out for you without a visit to a shop, but please let us know how it goes, and if it did indeed require a firmware update or not and so on.

Following up on this. From speaking to a Bosch rep, I couldn't get a completely straight answer, but I get the sense that either the latest firmware already has it enabled or that it's a flag the dealer has to set in flash memory. When the double battery option is working correctly and two batteries are installed, the dedicated battery screen will show the levels of each battery.

It's not really the straight answer I was looking for, but at least it would be *some* indication whether the system is configured correctly or not.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles