• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Orbea Rise with 85 Nm?

OrjanOrbea

Oct 10, 2021
Norway
Took my Orbea Rise for a ride today. 20 km in Trail mode. Used 42% battery. I will do a similar ride in Boost mode. The only one I have now is this pic.

255FA17B-80AF-4834-B4D3-D5CB72F002CA.png

AAFF588E-DB87-4E4C-8811-7A0E75F4D328.png

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That seems highly unusual. What is that pic supposed to show?

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
I wonder if the 85nm one has the firmware made by orbea for the assistance curve. Part of the bike price is for the custom firmware

matjas

Apr 25, 2023
Alicja23
Hi.
Don’t want to start a new thread.
Just picked up a 2022 h15 and it was 85Nm straight from the shop. I think they were fiddling with it.
Now - I can use stunlocker and tune the power down to the RS level but this will not make the bike being RS spec bike, will it?
What I imagine this is more complicated than just tuning the power down as the RS software analyses the pedalling input and provides the assistance curve more along the sinusoidal, natural way? At least this is what Orbea has been bragging about.
Also my motor displays ep800 in the eTube app. How is this in case of the original software, can you share your screen? The sticker is present on the motor.

Apart from this initial gripe the bike is very nice and I cannot understand why would anybody want more pull from the 60nm motor. I still have a Tygon R90 with E7000 that is same power 60Nm - 25kg and 720wh and never run it flat out.

9C3D04C5-BCCD-45E0-A800-8DD96CC940BC.png 23019495-2C40-4FF3-94B0-C8F0A1DB7503.png

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
Hello, it seems the motor has a bug sometime. Mine display 85nm in etube app, but he is a 60nm. The vendor haven't change it.

He ask at orbea and shimano, and the answer was something like : the bike has the orbea rs firmware, he can't give 85nm, but when programing the motor there is somewhere an area to says at the motor he can't go over 60nm and they forgot to fill it. So the motor is at 60nm max du to the firmware, if you put more in app it won't deliver more.

You can do the test on a ride you do often, do some with 60nm on the app and 85nm on turbo. You won't see any difference. If you put 35nm you will see it.

matjas

Apr 25, 2023
Alicja23
Well, read the whole thread. People report full power IS perceivable.
Personally I don’t want fiddle with it as I don’t want to make my warranty void and want the dealer to bring the bike back to the factory spec.

So - can anybody share their E-TUBE screen where it says what motor is in the rise?

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
Hi, this is my screenshots
I'v test to select EP8 RS on St Unlocker instead of EP8, in e-tube max torque goes to 60nm
Point Blur_Apr282023_133802.jpg Screenshot_20230428_133359_com.stunlocker.app.su.jpg Screenshot_20230428_133223_com.shimano.etubeprojectmobile.droid.phone.jpg Screenshot_20230428_133214_com.shimano.etubeprojectmobile.droid.phone.jpg Screenshot_20230428_133128_com.shimano.etubeprojectmobile.droid.phone.jpg

Last edited:

matjas

Apr 25, 2023
Alicja23
so it is not very clear what the motor should be in the ETube app and if switching this to 85Nm does anything to the software like corrupting it maybe...

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I went and spoke to my nearest Shimano dealer and he said he’s ridden EP8 with 85nm and EP
8 RS with 65nm and said that the RS was a much nicer ride and wouldn’t recommend changing. He said it’s possible to change to 85nm without using unblocker and voiding guarantee but it has to be done with Shimano (I presume online) and I would have to make an appointment so the update session can be scheduled. I’ve also seen posts from others who have had their motors legitimately upgraded. Personally, I’m not going to bother. I like the natural feel of the RS. I ride in boost most of the time and find I can keep pace with my full fat friends who are reluctant to use Turbo anyway because of the effect on Range.

Dorel

Jun 8, 2019
Suffolk
Hi
I bought my Rise brand new at a local dealer in Oslo. They made a mistake when they built my bike. They put on a regular an new EP8 on my bike. I have used my bike one week now. Works great!! Strong as an okse. Full power and 85nm. No problem getting over 30km riding terrain with 50% Boost, 30% trail and 20% eco. Have not really tested the battery fully.
Hi there, just checking if you had any problems with the battery using the full power of the ep8 motor. I would like to try but I am a bit apprehensive , people are saying that the battery can't handle the full power o the motor.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Hi there, just checking if you had any problems with the battery using the full power of the ep8 motor. I would like to try but I am a bit apprehensive , people are saying that the battery can't handle the full power o the motor.
Seems unlikely if dealers will unlock full power as reported.

kmote biker

Aug 12, 2018
Mex
I do not know. I just know my Orbea was delivered with a normal EP 8 because of a mix up. They (the local dealer) made a mistake when they assembled the bike. I bought it brand new with that motor. And it works just fine. Rode it to work (commute) on flat roads 10 km in Boost and just used 15% of the battery.
My Orbea Rise was delivered brand new with a regular EP8 motor. Not a RS. I get the full 85 nm. Works great!
Hey, do you still have the rise? How is the battery holding up after 2 years of riding with 85 nm?

I am considering changing the limit on my bike.

Thank you

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Hey, do you still have the rise? How is the battery holding up after 2 years of riding with 85 nm?

I am considering changing the limit on my bike.

Thank you
This guy fixes Shimano motors and says there is no difference in the wiring between EP80 and EP80RS so running it at 85nm should be fine.

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
2022 Rise H30 regular EP8 set up. No issues at all, battery or otherwise.

I didn't like the way the RS software gave little assistance at low cadence, as I often ride out of the saddle (due to trail type and riding style). Maximum power/torque wasn't the issue. Prefer regular EP8 with assist character and torque adjusted to give the right amount of resistance at the pedals (for me) at any cadence. At least with normal EP8 you can set it to do exactly what you want. Too much power/assist? Adjust settings down. Want more? Crank er up. :)

Cheers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles