• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Orbea Rise with 85 Nm?

Matthew87

Aug 8, 2019
Sweden
Hi!

Has anyone tested to change the power to 85 Nm on the Orbea Rise yet? Planning on getting a Rise. If its possible to change it to 85 Nm I will 100% get one :D

Best regards,
Matthias

Smythey

Sep 28, 2019
Norwich
Watch from 16mins it’s possibly but possibly you will lose you warranty.
Speedbox have brought brought a dongle out too

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
interested in this as well...I know you can unlock 85nm and 500wts in Stunlocker but I dont know anybody who has actually done it and reported back. I have been very tempted but the bike just rides so good stock but I am pretty sure it will ride even better at full power albeit you will rip through the battery

rrs6801

Jun 24, 2021
Arizona

On this video, he has a theory that makes sense. Considering the battery size and we know what type of cells 21700, his theory is the configuration of these cells to equal 360wh in size limits the amount of amps the whole battery pack can deliver. If they let you get 85nm you could draw enough amps to shorten the life of the battery. My experience with lithium cells in custom drones also agrees, that you definitely shorten the battery life if you pull more amps than the battery is rated for.

Anyway, just a thought. So as much as the geek inside me wants all 85nm, that extra punch for a short period isn't worth the risk to my warranty or battery life.

-rob

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have only spent a small amount of time on the Rise, but having done so I wouldn't say you need to up the power on it - its not like a Levo SL where the power drop is very noticeable from a FF EMTB, in fact I was hard pressed when riding it in trail mode to tell it had less power.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have only spent a small amount of time on the Rise, but having done so I wouldn't say you need to up the power on it - its not like a Levo SL where the power drop is very noticeable from a FF EMTB, in fact I was hard pressed when riding it in trail mode to tell it had less power.
just going to qualify my comment by saying that’s compared to my E8000 motor, haven’t spent enough time on a FF EP8 to make a comparison.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
just going to qualify my comment by saying that’s compared to my E8000 motor, haven’t spent enough time on a FF EP8 to make a comparison.

Another totally unscientific or credible comparison I am making in my own head is with the Bosch Gen 4 motor. I ride most of the time now in Tour mode, switching to EMTB on the climbs. Rarely use Turbo unless I’m having a blast without the range anxiety kicking in

EMTB is meant to be a variable amount between 120-340% assistance. I presume 340% assistance is 85Nm of torque, which is the same as Turbo mode. Even when I’m really pedalling the bike up hill in EMTB mode with a high cadence, sweating like a pig, I am not convinced I get anywhere near 340% assistance. If I switch to Turbo mode life just becomes so much easier

So, in conclusion to my non scientific reasoning, I think I use around 70% of the torque in EMTB mode, which would be around 59.5Nm. The Rise has 60Nm. I’m guessing the Rise (in Boost) will feel like EMTB being pushed hard. I just won’t have Turbo mode to play with

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Another totally unscientific or credible comparison I am making in my own head is with the Bosch Gen 4 motor. I ride most of the time now in Tour mode, switching to EMTB on the climbs. Rarely use Turbo unless I’m having a blast without the range anxiety kicking in

EMTB is meant to be a variable amount between 120-340% assistance. I presume 340% assistance is 85Nm of torque, which is the same as Turbo mode. Even when I’m really pedalling the bike up hill in EMTB mode with a high cadence, sweating like a pig, I am not convinced I get anywhere near 340% assistance. If I switch to Turbo mode life just becomes so much easier

So, in conclusion to my non scientific reasoning, I think I use around 70% of the torque in EMTB mode, which would be around 59.5Nm. The Rise has 60Nm. I’m guessing the Rise (in Boost) will feel like EMTB being pushed hard. I just won’t have Turbo mode to play with

theres very few comparisons surprisingly, Robs done a couple, 60nm of Bosch for example would seems more powerful than 60nm of Shimano motors, that reported torque isn’t as straight forward as it seems. Rob also did a Bafang 95nm vs Bosch 85nm and Bosch was way more powerful at getting up steep climbs.

My also very unscientific guess is the Shimano might be nearer 52nm of Bosch equivalent, but who cares? Does it get a fat ass up a steep climb, yes it does! Does it require more cadence (something to be aware of) to earn that assist, yes that’s true also! Does it get you fitter and also play better dh, looks like it does that too :).

Sign me up

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
there very few comparisons surprisingly, Robs done a couple, 60nm of Bosch for example would seems more powerful than 60nm of Shimano motors, that reported torque isn’t as straight forward as it seems. Rob also did a Bafang 95nm vs Bosch 85nm and Bosch was way more powerful at getting up steep climbs. My also very unscientific guess was the Shimano might be nearer 52nm of Bosch equivalent, but who cares? Does it get a fat ass up a steep climb, yes it does! Does it require more cadence (something to be aware of) to earn that assist, yes that’s true also! Does it get you fitter and also play better dh, looks like it does that too :).

Sign me up

When I first had the Bosch powered bike I was using Turbo all the time. It was such a novelty and so much fun. Now that I have my biking legs back and getting fitter (and losing weight) range has become the most important factor as we just want to be in the saddle for as long as possible, so I use the lower modes (still not Eco though, just don’t get that oomph with Eco). With the range extender I reckon I’ll be going further and faster on the Rise than I would be on the full fat

Also, it should be easier to pedal at higher speeds without the motor assist, I’m beginning to find the full fat a bit limited above around 18mph. I can push it on a trail to 20-22mph but it’s difficult to sustain that speed. Hopefully the Rise will be the answer, who knows. It’s an expensive gamble but sod it, YOLO and all that …

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
When I first had the Bosch powered bike I was using Turbo all the time. It was such a novelty and so much fun. Now that I have my biking legs back and getting fitter (and losing weight) range has become the most important factor as we just want to be in the saddle for as long as possible, so I use the lower modes (still not Eco though, just don’t get that oomph with Eco). With the range extender I reckon I’ll be going further and faster on the Rise than I would be on the full fat

Also, it should be easier to pedal at higher speeds without the motor assist, I’m beginning to find the full fat a bit limited above around 18mph. I can push it on a trail to 20-22mph but it’s difficult to sustain that speed. Hopefully the Rise will be the answer, who knows. It’s an expensive gamble but sod it, YOLO and all that …

I’m the same almost but I do use eco now and again though just to start getting more km and workout really but the rise will force us to do more work so that will be good. That said think very hard before you buy a Rise, if your willing to sell a £7k bike for £5.5k (and even then it could take months) then go for it, I’m seeing this happening because of the voided warranty upon resale. 20% isn’t as bad on a 5k bike but Christ almighty those buying the Mteam ltd etc must have zero plans to resell those ones...

I do find my brain telling me this is a shit investment tbh (it’s rare I care for insta depreciation) and it’s better to wait on future options, basically anything LW that allows transfer of ownership. But then if your to keep it for 4 years under a zero finance deal then maybe it’s not end of the world, it’s just if your to sell within 6 months or a better LW Bosch comes out (news any time now). Forestal would be an option if they had things sorted out....

xxxnutz

May 8, 2021
West Sussex
You will only see a max of 70nm on 85nm software but motor was tuned down in the 1st place for battery cycle life, even with the extender and a combined total of 612W the bike can only pull from the 360w bike battery or 252w extender which are not designed to supply the power needed for 85nm

xxxnutz

May 8, 2021
West Sussex

With the Rise being lighter and less power than my full fat i find i can happily ride with less assist (sometimes i even hsve it off) and i dont feel the 15.5mph limit like you do on a full fat, if you want fast stick with a full fat, if you want fun go with a lightweight. Interestingly i road both bikes on a 10 mile course in trail/tour mode back to back and there was only 60 seconds in it, the full fat derestricted in tour mode did it 3 mins faster

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
With the Rise being lighter and less power than my full fat i find i can happily ride with less assist (sometimes i even hsve it off) and i dont feel the 15.5mph limit like you do on a full fat, if you want fast stick with a full fat, if you want fun go with a lightweight. Interestingly i road both bikes on a 10 mile course in trail/tour mode back to back and there was only 60 seconds in it, the full fat derestricted in tour mode did it 3 mins faster

if you were to pick just one what would it be after trying back to back?

OrjanOrbea

Oct 10, 2021
Norway
Hi!

Has anyone tested to change the power to 85 Nm on the Orbea Rise yet? Planning on getting a Rise. If its possible to change it to 85 Nm I will 100% get one :D

Best regards,
Matthias
Hi
I bought my Rise brand new at a local dealer in Oslo. They made a mistake when they built my bike. They put on a regular an new EP8 on my bike. I have used my bike one week now. Works great!! Strong as an okse. Full power and 85nm. No problem getting over 30km riding terrain with 50% Boost, 30% trail and 20% eco. Have not really tested the battery fully.

OrjanOrbea

Oct 10, 2021
Norway
I do not know. I just know my Orbea was delivered with a normal EP 8 because of a mix up. They (the local dealer) made a mistake when they assembled the bike. I bought it brand new with that motor. And it works just fine. Rode it to work (commute) on flat roads 10 km in Boost and just used 15% of the battery.

Roc

Oct 13, 2021
Belgium
Perfect 👍🏼
but can you see the RS on the motor or it’s a normal ep8 ? if I understand correctly it’s a normal or 8 ! Right:p ?

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
My Orbea Rise was delivered brand new with a regular EP8 motor. Not a RS. I get the full 85 nm. Works great!
Hi, my rise come with an ep8 with rs sticker, but unlock to 85nm. But when I bought it it was a demo bike for test, so I don't know if someone unlock it or orbea deliver it with 85nm motor.

I've use it with 85nm, put dont notice a huge difference with setting at 60nm.

Roc

Oct 13, 2021
Belgium
Hi, my rise come with an ep8 with rs sticker, but unlock to 85nm. But when I bought it it was a demo bike for test, so I don't know if someone unlock it or orbea deliver it with 85nm motor.

I've use it with 85nm, put dont notice a huge difference with setting at 60nm.
This maybe simply means that it's a 60NM :)

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
Perhaps, but I can push it to 85 in the app and stunlocker says it was 85nm and 500w max

Screenshot_20210913_164811_com.shimano.etubeprojectmobile.droid.phone.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles