Orbea Rise US region change

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
Downgrading with your mobile phone is really easy. Doing this with an Android phone is prefered, using an iPhone is nearly impossible. I've done it 8 times now.

Follow steps provided by ST-Unlocker to downgrade.
After downgrading, set to US spec.
Next upgrade the firmware again while keeping it at US spec with official Shimano app.

You'll keep the 32 kmph US spec on the new firmware. But going back to EU spec requires downgrading again.

I'm rather interested if it can be succesfull to downgrade with EP8 firmware instead of EP8rs.. Motor is the same as said before.

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
Downgrading with your mobile phone is really easy. Doing this with an Android phone is prefered, using an iPhone is nearly impossible. I've done it 8 times now.

Follow steps provided by ST-Unlocker to downgrade.
After downgrading, set to US spec.
Next upgrade the firmware again while keeping it at US spec with official Shimano app.

You'll keep the 32 kmph US spec on the new firmware. But going back to EU spec requires downgrading again.

I'm rather interested if it can be succesfull to downgrade with EP8 firmware instead of EP8rs.. Motor is the same as said before.

Given how flaky the connection is through a phone I was terrified of bricking my motor. You're obviously braver than me lol

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
I take it you have downgraded 8 times on different bikes, not the Rise with the EP8RS motor? My interest in downgrading is that I want to activate the light output, which is not possible with STunlocker with 4.1+ firmware. I'm guessing, if I downgrade, i get the standard EP8 firmware, not the special Rise one?

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I hear you , i have been digging around and saw this website eMax Tuning – The most advanced tuning tool for STEPS8000 , you pay a licence fee but it looks like you can install on the current version IF you only want it to go to 32km , maybe the answer we are looking for .....http://www.emax-tuning.com/Firmware-Downgrade-iOS_Bluetooth_English.pdf

@finky, I have done downgrades using emax procedure you listed here… it is much easier to follow, at least for me.
I don’t have a PC, so I created windows partition on my MacBook and I used my iPhone, very simple procedure if you follow emax instructions.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
The Orbea Rise has a EW-EN100 juntion box on it - this is a pain because it means you don't have an easily accessible free port to connect the PCE1 to. But there is still one - it's on the motor, all you'll have to do is remove the plastic covers and you should see the spare Di2 port.

The motors upper plastic cover is covered by the frame....so there is no "easy access".

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I ordered a junction box, so I cound connect my SM-PCE1 box and then use eTubeProject to access the bike settings.
Junction box arrived today, but the eTubeProject told me that my PCE1 was not supported.
The Rise manual said it was supported....but I then had to use the old eTubeProject v4....

So I uninstalled v5 and installed v4 of eTubeProject, and it was supported.
Connected the bike, and all is good.

Then I used another Windows program to change the region (I am moving to US soon), and I now has 32kmh assist limiter., which suit me very good.

finky

Aug 18, 2021
sweden
I ordered a junction box, so I cound connect my SM-PCE1 box and then use eTubeProject to access the bike settings.
Junction box arrived today, but the eTubeProject told me that my PCE1 was not supported.
The Rise manual said it was supported....but I then had to use the old eTubeProject v4....

So I uninstalled v5 and installed v4 of eTubeProject, and it was supported.
Connected the bike, and all is good.

Then I used another Windows program to change the region (I am moving to US soon), and I now has 32kmh assist limiter., which suit me very good.
Hi 2 questions , where did you attach the junction box - can you post a pic? how did you uninstall ver 5 and install v 4 of etube project?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
1: Junction box was connected as the manual describes:

rise_etube.png

The "wrong" sodtware was uninstalled via Windows Control Panel.
Version 4 of eTubeProject can be downloaded at the same site.....just look for WindowsXP/WIndows 7 (and actually Windows 10)

Benjimax

Feb 3, 2019
U.K.
It's called STUnlocker for Windows.
Hi
So can confirm you managed to use St unlocker on a rise and there were no issues updating the region? All worked OK with the Rise firmware? Didn't result in other changes to the profiles etc?

I'm thinking of mulleting mine and would like to change wheel circumference and possibly region to US, and would really appreciate some reassurance that it's doable with Stunlocker (using a pc) without introducing any problems or unwanted changes - thanks in advance!

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I can confirm, there was zero issues of any kind, using this method.
My own profile settings was intact, and I verify'd the usage with the eTube app on the phone, and then run on my local trail afterwords without any issues.

I could even change the torque from 60Nm, but I did not try it out, as I want to keep the 60Nm.
I was just so happy, to change region to US...

Benjimax

Feb 3, 2019
U.K.
I can confirm, there was zero issues of any kind, using this method.
My own profile settings was intact, and I verify'd the usage with the eTube app on the phone, and then run on my local trail afterwords without any issues.

I could even change the torque from 60Nm, but I did not try it out, as I want to keep the 60Nm.
I was just so happy, to change region to US...
Thats great ? thanks very much for confirming!

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
Sounds great! One more question - do you need to install and use the eTube software at all if you want to do the region change? Would STunlocker alone do the trick?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Sounds great! One more question - do you need to install and use the eTube software at all if you want to do the region change? Would STunlocker alone do the trick?

Well....you need to install the eTube v4 software, as this provides the drivers to the SME1 box.
But there is actually no need to run the eTube software....all done by STunlocker Windows software.

Btw....on my PC, STunlocker could not start up, because it's not signed.
So I need to bypass the security warning, then it started up correctly.
Just like going to a website without a working certificate....no big deal to me.

UK Orb Riser

Sep 27, 2021
UK
Hi all,i have just changed to US version using EMAX instructions and then by using STUnlocker to adjust speed and torque etc,you will need the full version of STUnlocker at around £30. Makes a great bike into a truly awesome bike.

Attachments

• Firmware-Downgrade-Android-Windows_Bluetooth_English.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,451

finky

Aug 18, 2021
sweden
Hi all,i have just changed to US version using EMAX instructions and then by using STUnlocker to adjust speed and torque etc,you will need the full version of STUnlocker at around £30. Makes a great bike into a truly awesome bike.

So there is no chance of this working for anyone with IOS phone and a MAc?

rschenkels

Dec 23, 2021
Belgium
I've not done it on the Orbea Rise, I 'may' it on both my Hecklers - an E8000 and EP8 - both with the most up to date firmware.

The Orbea Rise has a EW-EN100 juntion box on it - this is a pain because it means you don't have an easily accessible free port to connect the PCE1 to. But there is still one - it's on the motor, all you'll have to do is remove the plastic covers and you should see the spare Di2 port.

Failing that you'll need the Shimano E-Tube Di2 Junction Box. This allows you to un-plug one end of the EN100 and connect this. Then you can plug in the PCE1 to the Di2 junction box and your PC.

It's sounds way more complicated than it actually is - everything just used the standard Di2 cables/ports. (except the USB into your desktop or laptop).

Then you open e-tube on your desktop to create the connection and lastly STUnlocker on the desktop (you'll need a paid for licence).

Then you can swap it to US spec. Once it is swapped over you can use STUnlocker on your phone to control assistance levels.

The pain of it is you need a sympathetic shop with the PCE1 and the Di2 junction box or you buy them for about £200.

It takes no more than 10 mins to do start to finish.

If you are in the UK/South East I'm happy to meet up and help out, I've obviously got the PC connection box and know what I'm doing with it now!
I assume that instead of the DI2 junction box one can use the shimano-ec7000 computer display also as it has 2 additional ports ?

Ron

rschenkels

Dec 23, 2021
Belgium
Hi,

I just did the region switch as 25 km/h was just too slow for me:
- I bought the Shimano SM-PCE2 linkage box and connected it to my SM-E7000 display
- Installed the latest version of eTube software for Windows v5.0.3 to have the drivers for PCE2 installed
- Installed the latest version of Stunlocker for Windows
- turned on the Orbea Rise
- then started up Stunlocker for Windows, which reads all the info of my bike ('Get Settings')
- then just change the Destination to USA (=32km/h) and saved this settings ('Update Settings')

5 minute job, the most difficult part was to find out how to 'purchase' the premium version, but got very quick response from the developer on that !

You do not need the old SM-PCE1 box as this is very difficult to find and very expensive if you do find it.
PCE2 is the replacement and is cheaper.

For your information, I can still use current eTube app v5.0.3 on my iPhone 13 mini to change the Profile 1 / Profile 2 settings.

A happy mountainbiker now ;-)

Ron

SteBee

Dec 6, 2021
UK
Would it be possible to use this to connect to i already have 1 on my road bike?

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Hi,

I just did the region switch as 25 km/h was just too slow for me:
- I bought the Shimano SM-PCE2 linkage box and connected it to my SM-E7000 display
- Installed the latest version of eTube software for Windows v5.0.3 to have the drivers for PCE2 installed
- Installed the latest version of Stunlocker for Windows
- turned on the Orbea Rise
- then started up Stunlocker for Windows, which reads all the info of my bike ('Get Settings')
- then just change the Destination to USA (=32km/h) and saved this settings ('Update Settings')

5 minute job, the most difficult part was to find out how to 'purchase' the premium version, but got very quick response from the developer on that !

You do not need the old SM-PCE1 box as this is very difficult to find and very expensive if you do find it.
PCE2 is the replacement and is cheaper.

For your information, I can still use current eTube app v5.0.3 on my iPhone 13 mini to change the Profile 1 / Profile 2 settings.

A happy mountainbiker now ;-)

Ron
This sounds great. When I read about this before people were talking about needing to downgrade the firmware. Did you not have to do this? Thanks.

Phoenix

Dec 29, 2021
Devon
This sounds great. When I read about this before people were talking about needing to downgrade the firmware. Did you not have to do this? Thanks.
If you use the PCE-1 or PCE-2 to connect directyl to the bike, you do not need to downgrade the firmware to make any changes.

If you try and go the phone route, it involves downgrading the firmware, and its now only possible on an Android phone, not an iPhone (because the older version of apps are not available in the Apple App store, and the current version prevents downgrading of firmware )

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
If you use the PCE-1 or PCE-2 to connect directyl to the bike, you do not need to downgrade the firmware to make any changes.

If you try and go the phone route, it involves downgrading the firmware, and its now only possible on an Android phone, not an iPhone (because the older version of apps are not available in the Apple App store, and the current version prevents downgrading of firmware )
Ah thank you. Sounds great.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles