Orbea Rise US region change

SteBee

Dec 6, 2021
UK
Does altering the region to usa from europe effect your warranty using stunlocker or emax?

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Does altering the region to usa from europe effect your warranty using stunlocker or emax?
These questions in reality are less about actually affecting your warranty (after all the bike is designed to work on the USA firmware - you could easily buy a US bike and import to Europe). I think it is more about giving the shop or Orbea an excuse to decline your warranty if you brick/damage the bike by using unofficial or third party tools or software to execute the change. It's like insurance companies, if they find any excuse to decline, they will, unless you have a good relationship with the shop. I wouldn't risk it personally until warranty expiration, unless I could be convinced the process was foolproof.

SteBee

Dec 6, 2021
UK
These questions in reality are less about actually affecting your warranty (after all the bike is designed to work on the USA firmware - you could easily buy a US bike and import to Europe). I think it is more about giving the shop or Orbea an excuse to decline your warranty if you brick/damage the bike by using unofficial or third party tools or software to execute the change. It's like insurance companies, if they find any excuse to decline, they will, unless you have a good relationship with the shop. I wouldn't risk it personally until warranty expiration, unless I could be convinced the process was foolproof.
Thanks mate

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Hi,

I just did the region switch as 25 km/h was just too slow for me:
- I bought the Shimano SM-PCE2 linkage box and connected it to my SM-E7000 display
- Installed the latest version of eTube software for Windows v5.0.3 to have the drivers for PCE2 installed
- Installed the latest version of Stunlocker for Windows
- turned on the Orbea Rise
- then started up Stunlocker for Windows, which reads all the info of my bike ('Get Settings')
- then just change the Destination to USA (=32km/h) and saved this settings ('Update Settings')

5 minute job, the most difficult part was to find out how to 'purchase' the premium version, but got very quick response from the developer on that !

You do not need the old SM-PCE1 box as this is very difficult to find and very expensive if you do find it.
PCE2 is the replacement and is cheaper.

For your information, I can still use current eTube app v5.0.3 on my iPhone 13 mini to change the Profile 1 / Profile 2 settings.

A happy mountainbiker now ;-)

Ron

Hi, can you tell me if you follow this procedure, what happens with future firmware updates? I don't have my bike yet, so am not aware of the standard firmware update in any case. Does the bike just think you are in the US and allow updates via US servers/software? Does it do this via phone? Thanks.

rschenkels

Dec 23, 2021
Belgium
Hi, can you tell me if you follow this procedure, what happens with future firmware updates? I don't have my bike yet, so am not aware of the standard firmware update in any case. Does the bike just think you are in the US and allow updates via US servers/software? Does it do this via phone? Thanks.
Hi,

Firmware updates are handled via the eTube app, and on my iPhone the latest version of the eTube app still works fine without any warnings/errors/issues, so I assume I can receive new firmware updates, however we can only verify that when a new firmware is available.

Ron

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
Future firmware updates will not be a problem and you will retain the changes made to speed. However, would recommend you undo these changes if taking you bike into an LBS for service.

SteBee

Dec 6, 2021
UK
Future firmware updates will not be a problem and you will retain the changes made to speed. However, would recommend you undo these changes if taking you bike into an LBS for service.
Can they not tell its been on the US settings?
Thanks
Ste

Kitch

Jun 3, 2022
Surrey
I've not done it on the Orbea Rise, I 'may' it on both my Hecklers - an E8000 and EP8 - both with the most up to date firmware.

The Orbea Rise has a EW-EN100 juntion box on it - this is a pain because it means you don't have an easily accessible free port to connect the PCE1 to. But there is still one - it's on the motor, all you'll have to do is remove the plastic covers and you should see the spare Di2 port.

Failing that you'll need the Shimano E-Tube Di2 Junction Box. This allows you to un-plug one end of the EN100 and connect this. Then you can plug in the PCE1 to the Di2 junction box and your PC.

It's sounds way more complicated than it actually is - everything just used the standard Di2 cables/ports. (except the USB into your desktop or laptop).

Then you open e-tube on your desktop to create the connection and lastly STUnlocker on the desktop (you'll need a paid for licence).

Then you can swap it to US spec. Once it is swapped over you can use STUnlocker on your phone to control assistance levels.

The pain of it is you need a sympathetic shop with the PCE1 and the Di2 junction box or you buy them for about £200.

It takes no more than 10 mins to do start to finish.

If you are in the UK/South East I'm happy to meet up and help out, I've obviously got the PC connection box and know what I'm doing with it now!
Where about are you? Been looking to change region and don't fancy doing the downgrade.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles