Orbea Rise US region change

finky

Aug 18, 2021
sweden
Hi , Anyone done this region change from Europe to US in order to lift restriction to 32km/h on their Orbea Rise? Am considering doing this but would love to hear experiences and advice from other owners. Which app/program is best and easiest ? Are they any which work immediately with firmware 4.1.4 of ep8 rs without having to downgrade? Many thanks and happy riding.

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
I would think they only way is ST Unlocker but the site currently says it only supports 4.0.2 EP8, i have 4.1.5 so two things are stopping me do it. One i need to know if 4.1.5 is supported and 2 if it goes to crap how hard is it to fix. I assume i would have to go to a LBS and pay for them to flash the motor back to factory. The UK restriction is utter crap and riding capped out at 15.6 would be so much better just upped to 20, i would be happy with that. I have no interest in any other tweaks really.

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
Just installed ST Unlocker and yes you have to downgrade the FW to 4.0.2 or you cant do anything. The instrructions on how to do that though are slightly worrying and not something i would be prepared to try of fear of bricking the bike. I get the steps involves but step 7 and 8 i don't really fully understand, basically you have to do this...

1. Install the free "File Commander" App from "Google Play"
2. Open this PDF with instructions on your phone
3. Click on a link in PDF with proper FW files and select "File Commander" App to open the archive file
4. Select ALL files in archive, click on the MORE [ ⋮ ] button and select "Extract to"
5. Select Internal storage / Android / data / com.shimano.etubeprojectmobile.droid.phone / files / FW folder and press OK
6. Remove E-TUBE App from the memory (recent apps) or restart the Phone
7. Turn OFF Wi-fi or Mobile Network on your phone. Start "E-tube" App. Connect to a bike. The program offers you a new FW (9.x.x) (fake
numbers, just for upgrade). Accept it.
8. Delete files that you copied at the previous step from the phone's memory.

finky

Aug 18, 2021
sweden
Just installed ST Unlocker and yes you have to downgrade the FW to 4.0.2 or you cant do anything. The instrructions on how to do that though are slightly worrying and not something i would be prepared to try of fear of bricking the bike. I get the steps involves but step 7 and 8 i don't really fully understand, basically you have to do this...

1. Install the free "File Commander" App from "Google Play"
2. Open this PDF with instructions on your phone
3. Click on a link in PDF with proper FW files and select "File Commander" App to open the archive file
4. Select ALL files in archive, click on the MORE [ ⋮ ] button and select "Extract to"
5. Select Internal storage / Android / data / com.shimano.etubeprojectmobile.droid.phone / files / FW folder and press OK
6. Remove E-TUBE App from the memory (recent apps) or restart the Phone
7. Turn OFF Wi-fi or Mobile Network on your phone. Start "E-tube" App. Connect to a bike. The program offers you a new FW (9.x.x) (fake
numbers, just for upgrade). Accept it.
8. Delete files that you copied at the previous step from the phone's memory.

Thanks for this , yes i had a look at STunlocker and the downgrade is what puts me off as well. Will hang on till they make it workable on the latest firmware, hopefully soon!!! I am the same as you - only want it to go to 32km , feel it would really add the final touch to an already great riding experience

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
Im pretty sure i would be able to downgrade the FW as the steps once i digest them, and look at their YouTube video are pretty easy, the problem is "what if". If it just doesn't go right then your kind of stuck and have to then find an Orbea dealer willing to sort it and they will charge likely a few hundred quid I would imagine as they have you over a barrel, i guess the proper thing to do is buy the PC cable that allows you to connect to the bike via Windows.

I'm unsure if ST Unlocker would overcome this issue as it seems apparent from reading their info that Shimano have stopped the practice of tweaking the motors on the latest FW so its highly plausible there might not be a software workaround.

finky

Aug 18, 2021
sweden
Im pretty sure i would be able to downgrade the FW as the steps once i digest them, and look at their YouTube video are pretty easy, the problem is "what if". If it just doesn't go right then your kind of stuck and have to then find an Orbea dealer willing to sort it and they will charge likely a few hundred quid I would imagine as they have you over a barrel, i guess the proper thing to do is buy the PC cable that allows you to connect to the bike via Windows.

I'm unsure if ST Unlocker would overcome this issue as it seems apparent from reading their info that Shimano have stopped the practice of tweaking the motors on the latest FW so its highly plausible there might not be a software workaround.

I hear you , i have been digging around and saw this website eMax Tuning – The most advanced tuning tool for STEPS8000 , you pay a licence fee but it looks like you can install on the current version IF you only want it to go to 32km , maybe the answer we are looking for .....http://www.emax-tuning.com/Firmware-Downgrade-iOS_Bluetooth_English.pdf

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
I would like to do this as well and probably will after the waranty expires. I might call the local bike shops and ask around if they were willing to do this.

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
emax tuning, says limited features on the software 4.1.5, so it’s a downgrade basically. I don’t think any lbs would do this tbh as technically it’s illega.

finky

Aug 18, 2021
sweden
emax tuning, says limited features on the software 4.1.5, so it’s a downgrade basically. I don’t think any lbs would do this tbh as technically it’s illega.
Yes but i read that the limited features on 4.1.5 include just the region change to 32 and that if you go higher the speedo will be wrong , but that should be fine for our purposes since not interested in crazy speed?

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
Yes but i read that the limited features on 4.1.5 include just the region change to 32 and that if you go higher the speedo will be wrong , but that should be fine for our purposes since not interested in crazy speed?

i have emailed them to clarify that, but yes region change is all I want I don’t want uncapped speed as that would likely be dangerous.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden

the speedometer often only diffa about 2-3 km wrong, what you can do in the app stunlocker is to change the size of the wheelbase in the app and then the speedometer will show right.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
You don't need to downgrade the software. You can use STUnlocker on your PC and it will work with all firmware versions. You just need the Shimano SM-PCE1. It's honestly dead easy.

Although a Shimano SM-PCE1 unit is an extra cost and usually takes a while to get home after you have occupied it.

downgrading is usually not needed, but if necessary, it takes a maximum of 5 minutes

finky

Aug 18, 2021
sweden
You don't need to downgrade the software. You can use STUnlocker on your PC and it will work with all firmware versions. You just need the Shimano SM-PCE1. It's honestly dead easy.
Have you done it already on an Orbea Rise ? If so did you just change region to US and how did you connect and use the Shimano PCE1 ? Grateful for tips!

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
Have you done it already on an Orbea Rise ? If so did you just change region to US and how did you connect and use the Shimano PCE1 ? Grateful for tips!

I've not done it on the Orbea Rise, I 'may' it on both my Hecklers - an E8000 and EP8 - both with the most up to date firmware.

The Orbea Rise has a EW-EN100 juntion box on it - this is a pain because it means you don't have an easily accessible free port to connect the PCE1 to. But there is still one - it's on the motor, all you'll have to do is remove the plastic covers and you should see the spare Di2 port.

Failing that you'll need the Shimano E-Tube Di2 Junction Box. This allows you to un-plug one end of the EN100 and connect this. Then you can plug in the PCE1 to the Di2 junction box and your PC.

It's sounds way more complicated than it actually is - everything just used the standard Di2 cables/ports. (except the USB into your desktop or laptop).

Then you open e-tube on your desktop to create the connection and lastly STUnlocker on the desktop (you'll need a paid for licence).

Then you can swap it to US spec. Once it is swapped over you can use STUnlocker on your phone to control assistance levels.

The pain of it is you need a sympathetic shop with the PCE1 and the Di2 junction box or you buy them for about £200.

It takes no more than 10 mins to do start to finish.

If you are in the UK/South East I'm happy to meet up and help out, I've obviously got the PC connection box and know what I'm doing with it now!

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
Great ! keep us updated. Yes 60km up a gnarly trail is pretty dumb

as expected they replied with a lengthy email stating it’s not possible to region change unless you downgrade firmware. So basically 2 options, downgrade it using Bluetooth which looks daunting or as poster above says with a hard connection which means buying cables. I’m too far away in Newcastle to meet up or I would have loved too

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
as expected they replied with a lengthy email stating it’s not possible to region change unless you downgrade firmware. So basically 2 options, downgrade it using Bluetooth which looks daunting or as poster above says with a hard connection which means buying cables. I’m too far away in Newcastle to meet up or I would have loved too

I'd try getting chummy with a Shimano dealer - they'll have the PC connector - see if you can get somebody to let you use theirs!

finky

Aug 18, 2021
sweden
I've not done it on the Orbea Rise, I 'may' it on both my Hecklers - an E8000 and EP8 - both with the most up to date firmware.

The Orbea Rise has a EW-EN100 juntion box on it - this is a pain because it means you don't have an easily accessible free port to connect the PCE1 to. But there is still one - it's on the motor, all you'll have to do is remove the plastic covers and you should see the spare Di2 port.

Failing that you'll need the Shimano E-Tube Di2 Junction Box. This allows you to un-plug one end of the EN100 and connect this. Then you can plug in the PCE1 to the Di2 junction box and your PC.

It's sounds way more complicated than it actually is - everything just used the standard Di2 cables/ports. (except the USB into your desktop or laptop).

Then you open e-tube on your desktop to create the connection and lastly STUnlocker on the desktop (you'll need a paid for licence).

Then you can swap it to US spec. Once it is swapped over you can use STUnlocker on your phone to control assistance levels.

The pain of it is you need a sympathetic shop with the PCE1 and the Di2 junction box or you buy them for about £200.

It takes no more than 10 mins to do start to finish.

If you are in the UK/South East I'm happy to meet up and help out, I've obviously got the PC connection box and know what I'm doing with it now!
Thanks for the advice and info , really useful - I am in Sweden so a bit far away !! I will give it a go in the next few weeks

finky

Aug 18, 2021
sweden
Anyone tried this option - seems very easy to install

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
Anyone tried this option - seems very easy to install

interesting but I don’t see the install video for ep8, also what happens if you install in and then connect the steps app, assume the app would detect some kind of error. Might drop them an email

finky

Aug 18, 2021
sweden
interesting but I don’t see the install video for ep8, also what happens if you install in and then connect the steps app, assume the app would detect some kind of error. Might drop them an email

This link has a pic of the ep8 motor , let me know what they come back with but to me it looks like the easiest option ? If it goes wrong can just reconnect the original cable

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
I emailed the chap he said….

Hello Steve,

orbea rise with the ep8 rs shimano motor is compatible with Speedbox 1.1 ep8
SpeedBox 1.1 for Shimano EP8

Speedbox has a lifetime warranty. It's easy to install. You'll be able to ride as fast as you can pedal. After installing your SpeedBox, the display will show real values up to 13.67mph (22 kph)
Speedbox is undetectable by dealers, but using Speedbox may void your warranty if you service the bike with tuning kit installed. I recommend removing Speedbox before servicing your ebike at your local dealer.

Please let me know if you have more questions,

Regards,

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
So just 2 things really, what’s the difference between the speedbox 1.1 and the MBIQP kit as it’s 50 quid cheaper. Also dont think you can get to the top of the motor on the rise from removing the outer bit, but I may be wrong.

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
I have asked the chap what the difference between MBIQP and speed box 1.1. One thing to think about though is the extra wear on the motor running with no cut off

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
Only difference between them is "Speedbox is a verified brand and has a lifetime warranty. This is the main difference."

So for me i would just go for the speedbox 1.1, however you cant get to the speed sensor on the RISE unless you drop out the motor. I havent done that before and so whats involved? Do you have to take the crank arms off?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles