Orbea Rise to coil or not to coil?

Swiftdaddy

Aug 14, 2021
The bike is brand-new to you....how about you just spend a lot of time riding the hell out of it, and then after some month MAYBE consider a different shock....

Because mtb’ers will find anyway to spend money on upgrades with negligible improvements that they’d never notice either way lol

partially kidding but people… just ride what you have and enjoy!

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Finally a bike to look at??.

That's some burly components on there. Did you get any help from Mojo setting up your shock?

keep me informed on how long the super soft rear tyre lasts. My DHR max grip rear tyre is showing signs it aint going to last long. Not sure how soft the schwalbe is in comparison.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Can’t decide between Ohlins Coil & EXT Storia the Ohlins would be cheaper, does Mojo do the servicing on the EXT?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Finally a bike to look at??.

That's some burly components on there. Did you get any help from Mojo setting up your shock?

keep me informed on how long the super soft rear tyre lasts. My DHR max grip rear tyre is showing signs it aint going to last long. Not sure how soft the schwalbe is in comparison.

Yeah the guys there are great, they dial it in for you, offer advice and watch you ride whilst making adjustments, highly recommend doing it this way. Plus FOD is next door which has to be the best trails / off piste stuff I’ve been on yet…..the bike with this coil was like a rebirth to me! It’s so good I think I’m just going to sell the air shock, they give you a heavier one for ‘trail park‘ days but I’m chuffed, I’m out again this Sunday, maybe tomorrow if I get lucky

will keep you posted on the tyre, they don’t cost much those BB at least, most go for ‘faster rolling’ or what I perceive to be ‘faster slipping’ but happy to say I didn’t feel a slippy root once with this combo

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Can’t decide between Ohlins Coil & EXT Storia the Ohlins would be cheaper, does Mojo do the servicing on the EXT?

Anywhere will service the EXT I believe but I’d just send back to Mojo. I’ve an Ohlins 20 mins away, both will do a great job but the EXT seemed to get great user feedback from what I gathered, I’ve not seen bad things regarding the Ohlins though, I will have read plenty of comparisons but I’ve forgot all that the second I hit my first trail on it!

Traction, control, response 10/10. I did bottom the fork out so need to upgrade to 160 I reckon

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
The bike is brand-new to you....how about you just spend a lot of time riding the hell out of it, and then after some month MAYBE consider a different shock....

Ive already ridden the life out of one already on a demo, plus my old Orbea Wild was all air, I know what it’s about. Changes like the coil are an experiment without massive expense as you just sell what you don’t like.

Instantly I was blown away, best thing I’ve ever paid for on a bike and the info regarding coil vs air stood up. It better suits my riding style (wheels on the ground over gnarl).

I stuck with the standard stuff on my Wild and endured a crappy rockshox 35 gold and now I see that has held me back quite abit.

This bike with the new components all of a sudden modulates great, has better agility and just does what’s asked of it, the agility I feel could still be even better and maybe a mullet one day would help here but for now I’ll run the fox fork until it breaks and when I’m worthy I’ll buy the new ERA fork (all coil coming in November).

It’s rather telling that despite owning my last bike for 8 months I’m more in sync with the Rise after only a couple rides!

On this occasion Carl 1 - 0 upgrade police ?

Last edited:

Matzotom

Nov 29, 2021
UK
I am also guilty of considering coil options before I have even ridden the stock bike.
Experience on my 2 previous bikes (transition patrol and evil offering) has taught me that getting extra grip with coil suspension is not a myth. I am obviously going to ride the bike as it comes but I can see that if the difference in air suspension is too apparent to me that I may have to revert to the combination that I currently ride of a fully Pushed lyrik (coil and damper conversion) and elevensix rear.
This is my first e-bike and I am not intending on parting with my Evil just yet so I will be able to compare how they both feel on the kind of terrain I usually ride. The Evil is also 150/140 which makes comparisons even better, even though they are obviously different designs.

faberle

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2021
France Haute Savoie
Instantly I was blown away, best thing I’ve ever paid for on a bike
Hi @carlbiker , are you still happy with your Ext Storia V3 on your Rise ? I will get one on test (they charge 90 Euros for setup/shipping and deduct it from the price, if I end up buying it... great service) aiming to replace my fox air shock and make a nice coil setup with ACS3 kit just ordered. Does the Storia leave sufficient space for water bottle or battery extender ? Thanks !

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Which coil did you go for ? Seen an Ohlins reduced for a great price
I run a TTX I bought off eBay for good price seen loads sold since. It’s great, the bike sticks to trail like glue loads of traction & top 3 for few of my local trials of all time 😂

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I run a TTX I bought off eBay for good price seen loads sold since. It’s great, the bike sticks to trail like glue loads of traction & top 3 for few of my local trials of all time 😂
Been thinking of upgrading the shock as I’m still on the stock DPS. The Ohlins I’ve seen is at a better price than most compatible air shocks

COL Weyland

Aug 28, 2023
United Kingdom
Hi guys have any of you tried fitting a 215x63 fox DHX2? I've seen one for a good price and can't quite work out whether it will fit and what offset bushing I might need (I know usually people go for 216*63. My bike is a large carbon. I will mullet the bike obviously. Any help appreciated thanks

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Not tried that shock had a cheap Rockshox Monach with 1 offset bushing on the linkage end, with a mullet but it’s a shit shock so went back to my TTX coil 210X55. Am happy how bike performs with 160mm fork upfront & 29 front & rear

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles