Orbea Rise - Shimano SC-E7000 Display Installation

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
I recently installed a Shimano SC-E7000 display on my Rise. When researching the project, I found there wasn't much information available online on how to install a Shimano display on an Orbea Rise. I thought I would post my thoughts and experiences on the matter to help others who are also thinking of installing a display on their bikes. The installation process is relatively simple, however there are some things you need to know before you begin the installation. I am not a professional mechanic, so I apologize in advance if I get any terminology wrong.

If you are installing an SC-EM800 color display on an Orbea Rise, I have prepared a separate tech article. Click on the link to review installation details for the SC-EM800 display.

Shimano motors, components, displays, and cables are not all compatible with each other. You cannot buy just any Shimano computer display for the Rise. Some displays will work with the Rise's EP8 motor, and some won't. Shimano has an eBike component compatibility chart on it's website. You can check to see which computer display or any other electronic component is compatible with your Rise's EP8 motor before purchasing it. 2021-2022 SHIMANO Product Information Web

To simplify things, know that Shimano computer displays "SC-E7000" which has a black and white display and the "SC-EM800" which has a color display, will work with your Rise EP8 motor.

The SC-E7000 installation is a straight forward remove and replace procedure. If you wish to use the SC-EM800 color display, the installation will be a bit more involved and require you to purchase a new mode controller switch identified as the "SW-EM800." I will go into more detail below on each display and what is required to install each display.

Shimano uses several types of electronic cables for it's eBike control systems. The EW-SD50 cable and the EW-SD300 cable. The EW-SD50 is an older cable version and identified by it's thicker housing. The EW-SD300 is a newer version and identified by a thin housing. The two cables are not compatible with each other. That's because each cable type uses a different style of connection lead.

Shimano computer displays will only accept one type of connection lead or the other, but not both. As an example, the SC-E7000 will only accept EW-SD50 cable connections. The SC-EM800 will only accept EW-SD300 cable connections. There are other display options which will work with the EP8 motor, however I did not research them. Be sure to check the compatibility chart before making a purchase.

Shimano EW-SD50 Cable. Compare the leads of the SD50 against that of the SD300 cable depicted below.
1629850636636.png

Shimano Ew-SD300 Cable
1629851211032.png

My bicycle and most 2021 Rise bicycles came from the factory with a SW-EM7000L handlebar mount mode controller switch. A picture of the SW-E7000 mode controller is seen depicted below. Note that the controller is hard wired with EW-SD50 cable. Because the controller is hardwired with EW-SD50 cable, you will need to use the Shimano SC-E7000 display which accepts EW-SD50 cable connections.

SW-EM7000 L Mode Controller Switch
Screenshot 2021-08-24 17.30.27.jpg

NOTE: If you wish to use the newer color version Shimano display, SC-EM800, you will need to change the mode controller switch. The SC-EM800 color display only accepts EW-SD300 cable connections. The SW-EM7000L controller which comes on your Rise has a EW-SD50 cable connection and will not work with the SC-EM800 display. You will need to change the mode controller to the SW-EM800 which has EW-SD300 cable connections and is compatible with the SC-EM800 display.

2021 RISE CABLE ROUTING:
The below wiring diagram was obtained from the Orbea Rise "Bluebook" manual and depicts the wiring used on current 2021 Rise models.

An EW-SD300 wire travels from the EP8 motor up the down tube and into the head tube. The EW-SD300 wire is about five feet long. Orbea wraps the EW-SD300 cable length that is not used in foam padding and zip ties it into a bundle. The cable bundle is placed in the junction where the down tube and head tube meet.

At the end of the EW-SD300 cable (Inside the headtube) Orbea uses a Shimnano EW-AD305 adapter. The adapter allows the EW-SD300 cable to be connected to a EW-SD50 cable. The EW-SD50 cable exits the head tube via a cable port and connects to the EW-EN100 junction, aka Little Black Box. The EW-EN100 junction only accepts EW-SD50 cable connections. The Shimano SW-EM7000 mode controller with it's EW-SD50 cable connects to the other side of the EW-EN100 junction.

Screenshot 2021-08-24 12.20.48.jpg

The SC-E7000 display installation:

The SC-E7000 computer runs approximately $150. It comes with two handlebar adapters for use with standard and 35mm handlebar diameters. The display screen on the SC-E7000 computer is black and white. On the main screen, the computer will tell you your battery level, mode you are in and speed. There are several other sub screens you can go to and will give you accumulated bike mileage, ride mileage, etc. Interestingly, I'd ridden my Rise about 200 miles before switching to the SC-E7000 display. The previous miles were automatically downloaded from the motor to the display.

To install the SC-E7000 display requires nothing other than mounting the display on the handlebar, removing the EW-EN100 junction and plugging the EW-SD50 wires from the mode controller and the wire coming out of the head tube into the computer display ports. You will need to pair the display to your bike via Bluetooth.

Use one of the cable clips or a small zip tie to attach the EW-SD50 cable where it exits the head tube port to the dropper cable housing. This will help minimize chaffing.

I purchased small black silicone bands on Amazon and used them to secure the cable to the handlebar. The wire running from the mode controller switch will barely reach the display mounted to the right of the stem. The EW-SD50 cable coming out of the headtube isn't a problem. Make sure enough cable exits the head tube to loop up into the display's connection port. The cable does not need to be fastened to anything. Refer to my pictures below.

Shimano does make silicone rubber bands specifically designed to attach cables to handlebar or frame tubes. Unfortunately, you cannot buy them separately. They only come in a package with the mode controller. I have seen them sold separately on eBay, however they are pricey. I imagine if you checked with your local bike shop, they might have some spares available for sale. I found the black silicone bands on Amazon, work equally as well and are unobtrusive on the handlebar.

SC-EM800 Display
The SC-EM800 display costs about $200 on the web, providing you can find it. I have seen several on eBay, but they come from Europe. The SC-EM800 has a color screen display and Bluetooth function. The screen display is slightly larger than that of the SC-E7000.

As I've previously mentioned, the SC-EM800 display is only setup to accept only the newer EW-SD300 cable connection. The ports will not accept a EW-SD50 cable connection. Your Rise comes from the factory with a Shimano SW-EM7000 controller which is hardwired with a EW-SD50 cable. To the best of my knowledge, Shimano does not make an adapter which will allow you to plug a EW-SD50 cable into a EW-SD300 port and allow you to use the SW-EM7000 controller. You will need to buy a SW-EM800 mode controller switch which has a EW-SD300 wired connection and will plug into the SC-EM800 display connection ports.

The Orbea Rise "Bluebook" manual has a diagram which depicts the SW-EM800 controller in relation to the SC-EM800 display.

Screenshot 2021-08-24 13.23.14.jpg

Installing the SC-EM800 display requires a bit more work to install. You will need to drop your fork steerer tube out of the headtube in order to gain access to the EW-SD300 cable and EW-AD305 adapter on the end of the EW-SD300 cable.

Once you have removed your fork steerer tube, reach into the downtube/headtube junction and gently pull the EW-SD300 cable bundle out of the down tube. Do not yank and damage the cable, they are delicate. When the EW-SD300 cable comes out of the tube, it will be wrapped in foam and zip tied. Cut the zip tie and untangle the EW-SD300 cable. Remove the adapter from the end of the cable, you will no longer need it.

Measure out approximately eight to ten inches or so of free EW-SD300 cable. The length depends on handlebar, stack height, etc. It doesn't have to be exact. The remainder EW-SD300 cable you must re-wrap in the foam and zip tie. Tuck it back into the downtube so it won't rub on the steerer tube. Feed the remaining loose end of the EW-SD300 cable through the head tube port. Re-install your fork steerer tube, stem and handlebar.

Plug the end of the EW-SD300 cable coming out of the head tube and into one of display's four ports. Save the port farthest to the left for the mode controller switch cable which will come in from the left side of the handlebar. Remove your handlebar grip on the left side and slide the new SW-EM800 controller onto the bar. I use a 800mm OneUp carbon bar. In order for the mode controller cable to reach the display, I had to mount the controller to the right of my SRAM G2 brake lever. I have fairly large hands, so it isn't an issue to reach the controller with my thumb. If you run a smaller bar, it shouldn't be an issue to run the mode controller to the left of the brake lever and still reach the display with the cable. You should experiment with moving the controller to various spots on the bar and make sure the cable will reach the display before firmly attaching everything.

Reuse one of the cable clips or a small zip tie to attach the EW-SD300 cable where it exits the head tube port to the dropper cable housing. This will help minimize chaffing.

I hope this helps you and I didn't totally confuse everyone in the house. I sincerely hope you find it useful. I apologize in advance for any mistakes I've made. If you have any questions, shoot me a message and I'll help you out the best I can.

IMG_0267.JPG
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

7.JPG

Screenshot 2021-08-12 18.58.07 (3).jpg

Last edited:

E&NonEinCO

Aug 4, 2021
Colorado
The SW-EM7000 controller CAN be used with the SC-EM800 display
Refer to post "ORBEA RISE M10, DISPLAY SM-EM800 UPGRADE EXPIRIENCE", post #14, August 4, 2021.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
E&NonEinCO,

Thank you very much. I read post # 14 and you are 100% correct. This method will allow you to use the SC-EM800 color display and the SW-EM7000 controller found on the Rise.

What threw me off was the Orbea Rise "Bluebook" manual diagram. It shows the use of the SW-EM800 mode controller being used with the SC-EM800 display. I had not thought to use the adapter. I initially purchased a SC-E8000 color display and installed it on my bike. I discovered the SC-E8000 will not work with the Rise's EP8 motor. I tried to exchange and purchase the SC-EM800 color display. My bike shop couldn't locate one. Shimano parts are scarce these days. There were a few European displays sold on eBay. My local bike shop was able to get me the cheaper SC-E7000 display which I was able to quickly mount and use.

For those interested, here is Post # 14 which explains how to do this.

Post # 14:
Procedure:
Remove the fork. This will give access to the AD305 connector that connects the SD300 wire from the motor to the SD50 wire that exits the head tube. Remove and save the connector for later use. Pull the SD300 wire thru the headtube. This wire is long enough to reach the display. You may need a firm but gentle pull. If the wire is hung up and not coming out, you'll have to drop the motor and maybe the battery too. Connect this wire to the display.
** Connect one end of the AD305 connector to the end of the EM700 controller wire (SD50) and the other end to the 150mm SD300 wire **
-Connect the other end of the 150mm wire to the display.

In a nutshell, you remove your fork to gain access to the EW-SD300 cable and EW-AD305 adapter located in the headtube. You re-attach the adapter to the end of the EW-SD50 wire lead coming off the SW-EM7000 mode controller. You attach a small 150mm (5.90" inches) EW-SD300 cable lead to the other end of the adapter and run it to the SC-EM800 display. The excess wire is bundled up and tucked away on the handlebar.

If you are less mechanically inclined and do not wish to remove your fork to gain access to the EW-SD300 wire and EW-AD305 adapter, you can purchase the SC-E7000 black and white display. The SC-E7000 is a direct plug and play. All you will need to do is remove the EW-EN100 black box junction and run the two EW-SD50 cables to the SC-E7000 display mounted on your handlebars.

Let's go ride....Wahoo!

Albert70

Sep 19, 2021
Itay
Thanks Rod for the clear explanation. Just one question: with the display are you able to directly switch between profiles 1 and 2 without having using the Shimano etube app?

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Albert70,

Shimano computer displays use the term "Assist Customize" in the settings menu to switch between profiles 1 and 2 using the display. To access "Assist Customize", you would normally go into the display's settings menu and tab to "Assist Customize." Once "Assist Customize" is opened, you have then have the option of selecting between Profile 1 or Profile 2 directly, without using Shimano's eTube app .

Unfortunately, "Assist Customize" is not present in the settings menu on my SC-E7000 display. I don't know if this is something my Orbea Rise's firmware/EP8 programming prevents, or it's simply a feature not available on the cheaper SC-E7000 black & white computer display. If somebody reading this knows how to access "Assist Customize" using the SC-E7000 display, please let me know.

It's my understanding, "Assist Customize" is available on the more expensive SC-EM800 color display. I have attached an Electric Mountain Bike Network, YouTube video link, that shows how to access "Assist Customize" on the SC-EM800 display. If you don't want to watch the whole video, scroll to 4:20 in the video and the rider shows how to use the display to switch between profiles.

Winnie_61

Sep 21, 2021
Livorno
Hi Rod, thanks for having shared all those info about the 2 kinds of display installation.
May I ask you the link of amazon where you have found the small black silicone bands ?
Thanks in advance.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Winnie_61,

Here is the Amazon link. The silicone bands are about 1/4 inch wide, or 6mm wide as seen in the picture. They will thin out when stretched onto the handlebar. I like that they do this, because they are barely noticeable on my handlebar. They have worked our nicely so far and I have had no issues with my mode switch cable coming loose or a band breaking. To install the bands (I used four), I left my grip and mode switch in place. The bands will stretch over them. I did have to remove my brake lever at the clamp.

2.jpg

image0aaa.jpeg

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
For some reason the Amazon link didn't remain attached when I posted my reply. I'll try again and also include the Amazon name. You can enter it in the Amazon search bar.

ONLYKXY 200 Pieces Silicone Cable Ties, Data Lines Silicone Cord Ties, Reusable Rubber Rings, Power Cable Tie Straps, Elasticity Coil Ring, Rubber bands

Winnie_61

Sep 21, 2021
Livorno
Winnie_61,

Here is the Amazon link. The silicone bands are about 1/4 inch wide, or 6mm wide as seen in the picture. They will thin out when stretched onto the handlebar. I like that they do this, because they are barely noticeable on my handlebar. They have worked our nicely so far and I have had no issues with my mode switch cable coming loose or a band breaking. To install the bands (I used four), I left my grip and mode switch in place. The bands will stretch over them. I did have to remove my brake lever at the clamp.

View attachment 72082

View attachment 72083
I got it. Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.

Andyzim

Apr 21, 2021
Uk
Thanks Rod for the clear explanation. Just one question: with the display are you able to directly switch between profiles 1 and 2 without having using the Shimano etube app?
I checked mine this evening (e7000 display) and I was able to change between profile 1 and 2. The assist customise was there, I held down the down button on the switch at the same time as the button on the display. This brought up settings menu. Then I scrolled down using the switch button until I got to the menu item, clicked the display button to select and then it let me choose profile 1 or 2.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I checked mine this evening (e7000 display) and I was able to change between profile 1 and 2. The assist customise was there, I held down the down button on the switch at the same time as the button on the display. This brought up settings menu. Then I scrolled down using the switch button until I got to the menu item, clicked the display button to select and then it let me choose profile 1 or 2.
Correct, but you don't need to hold the down button, you only need to hold down the display button, but make sure you are at zero speed or it won't work ;)

Andyzim

Apr 21, 2021
Uk
Correct, but you don't need to hold the down button, you only need to hold down the display button, but make sure you are at zero speed or it won't work ;)
If I only hold the display button it just zeros the trip info.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
From the manual:

You need to be sure you are not in the trip info menu to be able to access the settings by just holding the menu button.
However it says you can access the menu by pressing:
"
You can also use the following methods to display the setting menu.
-
Stop the bicycle ⇒ <A> (continue to hold until the screen switches)
-
Stop the bicycle ⇒ <↑> + <↓> (continue to hold until the screen switches

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
For those buying the SC-E7000 display. I was asked by Andyzim if I could switch between Ride Profile 1 and Ride Profile 2, using the SC-E7000 computer display. I initially reported that I could not do so on mine. It turns out this was not correct. I did not have the most recent Shimano firmware update for the SC-E7000. After downloading the most recent firmware update, I can now switch between ride profiles using the computer display. Wahoo!!

Trik6

Oct 14, 2021
Italy - Veneto
For those buying the SC-E7000 display. I was asked by Andyzim if I could switch between Ride Profile 1 and Ride Profile 2, using the SC-E7000 computer display. I initially reported that I could not do so on mine. It turns out this was not correct. I did not have the most recent Shimano firmware update for the SC-E7000. After downloading the most recent firmware update, I can now switch between ride profiles using the computer display. Wahoo!!
Greetings
then it is confirmed that on Orbea Rise with EP8 RS engine with the SC-E7000 display it is possible to switch between profile 1 and 2
I ask why on an Italian forum they declared that this is not possible

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
It is indeed possible. It is the reason I installed the SC-E7000 and a really useful feature!

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Trik6,

Yes, you can do it. To be able to do it, you must make sure the display has been updated with the latest Shimano firmware update. If the display has NOT been updated, you will not be able to switch profiles. When I first got my SC-E7000 display, I could not switch profiles. Once I did the update, I was able to switch between profiles.

Here's how to select the profile:
The SC-E7000 display will automatically turn on when you power your bike up. Press the button on the side of the display to access the "Menu" setting. Use your mode switch to tab through the various settings until you reach "Assist Customize." Make sure Assist Customize is highlighted and press the button on the side of the display.

Assist customize will open and you will see "Profile 1" and "Profile 2." Select the profile you want and make sure it's highlighted. Press the display button to set the profile function.
InkedIMG_0445_LI.jpg

Profile 1 and Profile 2 in the Assist Customize function on the SC-E7000
IMG_0444.JPG

vladej

Jun 28, 2021
Slovenia
Hello guys,

I received my Rise M20 few days ago. I also purchased a Shimano E7000 display. Exchange of EW-EN100 with display went smooth. But now I have trouble to find my bike in the E-tube application. I switch on BT on my phone and BT paired with new E7000 device, but in the E-tube I can’t connect to my bike.
Display work and it shows battery level and mileage and other stuff.
Any suggestions?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Be sure to search for the display within 15 seconds from switching on, or push any button on the remote to activate BT for another 15 secs.

vladej

Jun 28, 2021
Slovenia
Never mind I solve the problem and successfully upgraded the E7000 firmware.

Everything work fine except Light menu, where it is not possible to set anything.

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
Thank you Rod B.!! I even called Shimano and they couldn’t give me a straight answer, as to which display I should get. Thanks to you, I have a display that works perfectly for me. Absolutely, plug and play! Super easy!

vladej

Jun 28, 2021
Slovenia
Hello guys,
I need some more help. So me and my wife both have Rise M20 and I installed SC-E7000 display on both bikes.
On wife's bike, EW-SD50 cable which comes out a headtube is long enough and everything looks like on Rod's pictures. (even the bike is same colour)
On my bike, the cable is really short and therefore sometimes disconnect from the display.
Is it any possibly to drop the fork and fetch some more cable out of the headtube?
Probably the cable from the EW-AD305 adapter is the same length on any bike?
Any suggestions?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Hello guys,
I need some more help. So me and my wife both have Rise M20 and I installed SC-E7000 display on both bikes.
On wife's bike, EW-SD50 cable which comes out a headtube is long enough and everything looks like on Rod's pictures. (even the bike is same colour)
On my bike, the cable is really short and therefore sometimes disconnect from the display.
Is it any possibly to drop the fork and fetch some more cable out of the headtube?
Probably the cable from the EW-AD305 adapter is the same length on any bike?
Any suggestions?
Yes, the problem is that sometimes the original ad305 cable gets stuck, but it is long enough and should be the same for all. If it reaches the ew100 it should reach the sc-e7000, but do it, drop the fork and try move the cable.

The only problem is that normally it is not stuck at the fork, but at the motor :(

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles