Orbea Rise Owners - Please Read

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I wanted to recommend that all Rise owners check the caps and crank arm bolts on their crank arms. My non drive side crank arm fell off mid ride. The cap had fallen off (and is lost forever). I would recommend reinstalling them with threadlocker. Miraculously I had a spare at home, but it ruined a ride and could have ruined the splines on the spindle or the crank arm. Since the cap is really just for tensioning, I’m not sure what caused it. These are carbon crank arms that only have a single bolt on the crank arm. I also noticed a small spacer that was preventing the crank arm from seating fully. I removed it and retorqued to spec. Let’s see how it goes.
@e*thirteen Components any thoughts?

Moderator edit :

Link to e*thirteen Components post with links to the manual :

Last edited by a moderator:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Update: worked perfectly. I did some jumps, roots, rocks, and power climbs and the crank arm stayed put.

I would recommend everyone or your shop remove and reinstall the crank arms, using loctite/threadlocker on the caps. 2nm on the cap to bottom the arm on the splines and 14nm on the crank arm bolt.

Also, props to @e*thirteen Components for a quick offer of support.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As @mark.ai said, this has come up with the alloy cranks in here :

So presumably a similar problem.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
As @mark.ai said, this has come up with the alloy cranks in here :

So presumably a similar problem.

yup. though the carbon cranks only have a single bolt.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Can you please share some pics of yours to see how deep must be inserted into the thread? I have checked mine and they are already at 14nm so I don't want to remove them and reinstall them if not needed. Here it is the pic of mine!

IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_4918.jpg

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I know we shouldn't assume, but by now I would hope that every bike currently on a shipping container and from here on out would already come with the thread locker applied.

pez_cemetery

Mar 18, 2020
Bristol
Shimano cranks don't require threadlocker but are required to be tensioned up correctly (a standard allen key does not provide enough leverage) otherwise the same thing happens

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Shimano cranks don't require threadlocker but are required to be tensioned up correctly (a standard allen key does not provide enough leverage) otherwise the same thing happens

I still ended up replacing the preload caps on my previous bike (XT cranks/E8000) with metal caps + threadlocker. There's no harm in a little extra protection.

shredjim

May 5, 2021
White Salmon, WA
I still ended up replacing the preload caps on my previous bike (XT cranks/E8000) with metal caps + threadlocker. There's no harm in a little extra protection.

I read this thread a few nights ago and though oh boy, better go check. Sure enough the left pre load cap on my M10 three week old Rise is missing. I went on E Thirteen's web site and filled out a warranty claim, and they say it will probably take 5 days for them to respond. REALLY - those crank arms went on a $8,600 carbon e bike and my bike shop tells me to not ride it until we get a replacement cap. Rick - where did you get your metal caps? I'm wondering why Orbea didn't just use Shimano crank arms and chain ring, in such a critical area?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I read this thread a few nights ago and though oh boy, better go check. Sure enough the left pre load cap on my M10 three week old Rise is missing. I went on E Thirteen's web site and filled out a warranty claim, and they say it will probably take 5 days for them to respond. REALLY - those crank arms went on a $8,600 carbon e bike and my bike shop tells me to not ride it until we get a replacement cap. Rick - where did you get your metal caps? I'm wondering why Orbea didn't just use Shimano crank arms and chain ring, in such a critical area?

Got em on Amazon.

Dilwe Crankset Arm Bolt, Aluminum...

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA

Yeah, stupid situation and in hindsight a poor choice to use the Ethirteen stuff without proper testing on the bike. I do think they are fine once installed properly. The pre-load caps are just that, for pre-loading the crank arms. They do not retain the crank arms if the main pinch bolts are loose. Here's what I would do, but you do what you want.
I'd take the crank arms off and remove the spacer as directed and then with just one cap, I'd pre-load one arm at 2Nm then tighten the pinch bolts enough to hold it in place, remove the pre-load cap and do the other side but then torque both arms to the specified 14Nm torque. I'd feel perfectly fine riding the bike with both arms torqued properly and only one side with a pre-load cap until I got the replacements. Having said all of that, Amazon got the ones delivered to me in 3 days so it isn't that long of a wait. I guess my main question is, why doesn't Orbea have all of their dealers contact owners that purchased from them for a dedicated "recall" repair for this issue. It's not that hard.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Yeah, stupid situation and in hindsight a poor choice to use the Ethirteen stuff without proper testing on the bike. I do think they are fine once installed properly. The pre-load caps are just that, for pre-loading the crank arms. They do not retain the crank arms if the main pinch bolts are loose. Here's what I would do, but you do what you want.
I'd take the crank arms off and remove the spacer as directed and then with just one cap, I'd pre-load one arm at 2Nm then tighten the pinch bolts enough to hold it in place, remove the pre-load cap and do the other side but then torque both arms to the specified 14Nm torque. I'd feel perfectly fine riding the bike with both arms torqued properly and only one side with a pre-load cap until I got the replacements. Having said all of that, Amazon got the ones delivered to me in 3 days so it isn't that long of a wait. I guess my main question is, why doesn't Orbea have all of their dealers contact owners that purchased from them for a dedicated "recall" repair for this issue. It's not that hard.

I'd add one other critical step - make sure both the crank arm bolt(s) and the preload cap(s) have threadlocker properly installed. I used blue/242 loctite.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Got em on Amazon.

Dilwe Crankset Arm Bolt, Aluminum...
Rick,
The e*thirteen TSB says that aftermarket preload caps may bottom out on the spindle before properly loading the crank arms. I assume if the spacer behind the crank arm were removed, this would be more likely. Did you confirm the caps were making solid contact with the crank arms before torquing them? From their description in the TSB, I guess the e*thirteen caps have a slightly shorter threaded length than the standard Shimano compatible caps...

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Rick,
The e*thirteen TSB says that aftermarket preload caps may bottom out on the spindle before properly loading the crank arms. I assume if the spacer behind the crank arm were removed, this would be more likely. Did you confirm the caps were making solid contact with the crank arms before torquing them? From their description in the TSB, I guess the e*thirteen caps have a slightly shorter threaded length than the standard Shimano compatible caps...
To add. There’s also several different brands of caps selling on amazon alone.
Rick, What made you choose these over some others?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Rick,

Yes. They are holding just fine. No play whatsoever. Spacer/seal removed. I just got lucky I guess. I bought the same caps for my previous E8000 powered bike and they worked fine (XT crankset). YMMV.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
To add. There’s also several different brands of caps selling on amazon alone.
Rick, What made you choose these over some others?

They came up first on the search and were the right color. ;-) Seriously. I bought them for my Pivot Shuttle and never installed them. I can't say for certain if they're the correct depth and such, but they're working fine for me on my Rise with carbon cranks and with the seal/spacer removed. I would suggest that if anyone is concerned over using a 3rd party preload cap, they should simply ask e*thirteen for the OEM ones.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
They came up first on the search and were the right color. ;-) Seriously. I bought them for my Pivot Shuttle and never installed them. I can't say for certain if they're the correct depth and such, but they're working fine for me on my Rise with carbon cranks and with the seal/spacer removed. I would suggest that if anyone is concerned over using a 3rd party preload cap, they should simply ask e*thirteen for the OEM ones.

Just wondered what’s wrong with the standard caps if there threadlock
What’s the benefit to installing these please

shredjim

May 5, 2021
White Salmon, WA
I would suggest that if anyone is concerned over using a 3rd party preload cap, they should simply ask e*thirteen for the OEM ones.
That would be great if e*thirteen would respond to their warranty requests, but they don't. I filed my warranty claim on Sunday for my left pre load cap and have yet to hear back from e-thirteen. Also, I searched the internet for hours looking for their phone number for the US location in Petaluma CA and I can't find it anywhere. My bike shop has not heard back from them either. The bike shop has a phone number for e*thirteen and they won't give it to me. I spent almost $9,000 on a really nice emtn and was just riding it. I didn't think buying a brand new bike that i needed to investigate and check all bolts, etc. Wish I would have seen these forum threads before riding the bike. Shame on Orbea and especially e*thirteen

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles