Orbea Rise Mullet

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
The mullet was ok it was more the 210X55 coil shock was far superior than the 216x63 Rockshox air shock which I why preferred 140mm travel & 29er rear, I have run 140mm & 27.5 rear but in rocky locations get too many pedal strikes. Be ok at bike parks

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
The mullet was ok it was more the 210X55 coil shock was far superior than the 216x63 Rockshox air shock which I why preferred 140mm travel & 29er rear, I have run 140mm & 27.5 rear but in rocky locations get too many pedal strikes. Be ok at bike parks
I guess you really can’t compare if you didn’t try a coil in both shock/ wheel sizes. You also have the option of running a 216 x 63 with 2 offset bushings with 29 wheels.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
So my friend added an offset bushing at the top along with a FOX SLS coil and the clearance (visually) seems to be better compared to before... see pic attached. Now let's see how it would perform on the trails...

View attachment 81447
This terrifies me. I just can't see it is worth doing something that you know is already damaging the frame - even if it appears cosmetic, you never know with carbon, and the leverage that a big drop exerts through the shock must be massive - many times bodyweight, especially as it would ally force as a lever. What happens if you go off a big one - might crush the frame a couple more mm there leading to a total failure. You wouldn't stand on your frame with a stone in your shoe and jump up and down until it left a mark. Why would you do this?

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
So my friend added an offset bushing at the top along with a FOX SLS coil and the clearance (visually) seems to be better compared to before... see pic attached. Now let's see how it would perform on the trails...
Just curious Wild-Fins, what's the spring rate of that SLS coil and which year is it? All the new 2021 and 2022 SLS coils contains more coils for the given stroke it's compatible with.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Question to ones who have mullet Rise, how did you change the wheel size in firmware? Or who changed that?
You cant unless you have STunLocker premium, or fully unlocked shimano software (I think only dealer can install this)
TBH you won't be losing too much speed ~ 5 to 6% difference between 29" to 27.5"
eg. speedometer display 25mph, at 27.5 actual = 23.75 mph

Last edited:

hind-corners

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2022
Europe
You cant unless you have STunLocker premium, or fully unlocked shimano software (I think only dealer can install this)
TBH you won't be losing too much speed ~ 5 to 6% difference between 29" to 27.5"
eg. speedometer display 25mph, at 27.5 actual = 23.75 mph
This is what i was expecting. My bike is limited to 25kph(20mph) and actually vs gps its even slower (23kph). I have heard some stories that actually this change involves also contacting Shimano if done in official way.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
The absolute easiest way to take full control of your Rise's motor is STunlocker with a premium license, Shimano SM-PCE02 usb adaptor with EW-SD50 cable for connecting at the EN-100W junction box (led light indicator box) + a windows laptop or computer.

With this set up, you can fully customize not only wheel circumference and top speed but also alter the torque and power output to your liking. EP8rs is really a regular EP8 and is 85nm/500W capable, you can tune your motor up to these specs (or anywhere in between) and have a mid, or full or mid-full power light weight ebike, however you it suits you best.

Been using my Rise with modified torque and power settings for months now and it's brilliant.

COL Weyland

Aug 28, 2023
United Kingdom
Hi guys have any of you tried fitting a 215x63 fox DHX2? I've seen one for a good price and can't quite work out whether it will fit and what offset bushing I might need (I know usually people go for 216*63. My bike is a large carbon. I will mullet the bike obviously. Any help appreciated thanks

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Hi guys have any of you tried fitting a 215x63 fox DHX2? I've seen one for a good price and can't quite work out whether it will fit and what offset bushing I might need (I know usually people go for 216*63. My bike is a large carbon. I will mullet the bike obviously. Any help appreciated thanks
I run a 2021 dhx2 on my XL 2019-2020my carbon rise. I run a single offset bushing in the high speed rebound side which is bolted up to the yoke. It seemed to me, that the area around the top eyelet of the shock would get too close to the frame if I had the offset bushing in that side. I do have both fwiw and only run 1 as I believe that to be best with the mullet setup with a 160mm fork.

PXL_20230827_211558045.jpg

COL Weyland

Aug 28, 2023
United Kingdom
I run a 2021 dhx2 on my XL 2019-2020my carbon rise. I run a single offset bushing in the high speed rebound side which is bolted up to the yoke. It seemed to me, that the area around the top eyelet of the shock would get too close to the frame if I had the offset bushing in that side. I do have both fwiw and only run 1 as I believe that to be best with the mullet setup with a 160mm fork.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
@COL Weyland I am using 2mm offset bushings. I am running a 2022 DHX2 in 8.5x2.5. I don't know if this shock is actually 216mm long or 215mm long. To be honest, I think it's all semantics of how it's rounded and that all of these are essentially 216mm as 8.5 inches converts to 215.9mm. I do want to clarify that I am running an dhx2 and not a dhx/Marz bomber CR. I don't think there is a significant difference between the two once setup... however the DHX/Marz Bomber has different clearances around both the base valve side of the eyelet and the spring retainer side of the eyelet. I know for a fact that it can also be used to mullet these bikes as I have a buddy that is running a marz bomber cr with a single offset bushing.

I quite like the resulting bottom bracket height with the 160mm fork and the 8.5x2.5 dhx2 with a single 2mm offset bushing. I am also running a push acs3 spring in my fox 36 which keeps the dynamic ride height a bit higher then it otherwise would be with a 160mm air spring.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles