Orbea rise mullet—without swapping shock

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Just because I prefer the Rise in longer travel/MX wheels doesn't mean the next guy will. I'm used to riding slacker head angles and more rear wheel travel, but my riding is focused on descending and jumping. I can totally see where the next guy would prefer the Rise as-is for trail riding and sharper handling, or as a full 29er for their own reasons. To me the Rise "enduro style" is a fantastic handling bike for my needs.

Nowhere does it say that a bike should only be used in stock form, or that "you shoulda gotten this or that instead" because as stock seems inadequate. Just happens that the Rise is a unique lightweight ebike whose geometry and motor can be tuned heavily. To my knowledge is the only SL ebike of it's kind with the exception of the new Giant and a certain Rotwild in terms of motor tuning. The Kenevo SL would be a great bike for me but has a wimpy motor. The Forrestal Siryon has a strong motor but no range extender to date. In the US market there's nothing quite there yet. Even the Transition Relay which is too heavy IMO, no range extender and running a wimpy motor compared to a tuned EP8rs.

That's why I have a Rise, cause I can run it with as much power as a standard EP8 when I want to, but also run it with the motor dialed back depending on the day, how far I want to go, how tired I am, whether I want to carry the RE, etc. I don't find the chainstays too long for manuals or just getting the front end up easily, I don't get pedal strikes and my suspension doesn't bottom out in the rear. Lots of flexibility and it suits me just fine, thank you.

kenevonaive

Mar 13, 2020
California USA
I experimented on my Trek Rail(first gen) 27.5 rear flip chip on high position gives me more confidence overall handling of the bike. I revert back to 29er when riding rockgarden type trails due to bb clearance. I'll keep my Rise stock since I already have a functionong mullet,good luck with your endeavors!

RiseCm10

Apr 21, 2023
Crowthorne
It’s a legitimate comment around is it the geo or the smaller wheel. As such I’ve put the 29 back on the rear and the bikes handling sucks again! Such a huge difference. Next I’m going to try 40mm riser bars and 160mm fork on 29 and see what that does. I’m also going to 27.5 my giga which had a geo adjust. Try and isolate the changes / differences.

RiseCm10

Apr 21, 2023
Crowthorne
Mulleted out the giga with a new linkage to restore the geo and the difference was fairly small to be honest. Nothing like on the Orbea which suggests the difference is mainly down to the geometry change as someone has suggested.

Next up I’ll try some 50mm rise burgtec bars

RiseRider

Aug 6, 2023
Germany
im actually planing on switching to di2 11x, since i need a new hub without microspline for it.... im really tented to use a 27,5 in the back for it :D:D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles