Orbea Rise Motor Issue - Turning off while riding

JohnnyS

Apr 21, 2021
United States
Has anyone experienced the Rise motor turning off while riding.

I rode my Rise M20 five times with no problems, but on the 6th ride, after 1.5 hours the motor turned off. I turned it back on and about 15 minutes later it turned off again. Turned it back on and 10 minutes later it turned off again. Battery level showed 59%.

Turned it on again and 5 minutes later it turned off, repeated and 2-3 minutes later it turned off and would not turn back on. Rode it without motor for 10 minutes, then tried it again and it worked ... for about 10 minutes and turned off again, 5 minutes, 2-3 minutes then would not turn on again. Walked it (up steep hill) for 2 minutes and tried again. It turned on for 2-3 minutes and turned off.

Rode it back to car without motor and took it to shop on 4/14/21. As of 4/21/21 it is still there.

Thanks

Alexfa60

Apr 12, 2021
CA
no expert here, but it sounds like it's an overheating problem and the motor shuts off, or a faulty temperature managing system that thinks that the motor is overheating and shuts it off.
is it the Shimano or Bosh motor?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I doubt it will be overheating, it's already limited compared to the normal EP8.

Shutdowns will vary with an instant re-boot and a longer shut down.

Instant random re-boots are normally the main cable from the bars/junction if you haven't selected the display, pulling tight. Check it's not getting trapped. If you tape it with no spare against a hose for instance, as you turn it can cause it to cut out.

If it's not that, then check the speed sensor cable isn't pulling tight somewhere.

normally, you'd also remove the left side motor cover and make sure all the connections are firmly seated. But I don't think you can.

Could also be a bad connection to the battery.

It's all a bit trickier to get at things on the rise compared to the "old school" bikes.

JohnnyS

Apr 21, 2021
United States
Got the bike back on 4/28/21 and have ridden it twice. Issue seems to be resolved. My Orbea dealer (great guys by the way) said they duplicated the issue but the diagnostic showed nothing. They dropped the motor and checked the wiring. The only thing they could find was the two screws holding the "battery cable fixing plate" were loose. These screws were suppose to be tighten to 2.5 Nm (see Rise Bluepaper page 65, 67).

So, so far, that seems to have been the problem.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles